VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope I'm not re-posting...

New details in Farmville quadruple murder investigation
Sources close to case talk about what was used to kill victims.

wtvr.com/news/wtvr-farmville-murder-update

At least three of the four victims found slain in a Farmville home last month had been bludgeoned with a wood-cutting maul, sources close to the case tell CBS 6.

The female victims – 18-year-old Melanie Wells, 16-year old Emma Niederbrock and her mother, Debra S. Kelley, were struck while asleep or in an otherwise defenseless position, the sources said. There is no evidence at this point of any sexual assaults.

The fourth victim, Mark Niederbrock – Emma's father and Kelley's estranged husband – is believed to have been struck with a chunk of wood and perhaps the maul as well, the sources said. A maul is a heavy, doubleheaded tool with sharp, splitting edge as well as a blunt, sledgehammerlike face.

The homicides occurred sometime between September 13 and September 18 inside the Farmville home where Kelley, a Longwood University professor, and Emma Niederbrock lived. The forensics investigation in the case is not yet complete.

A motive for the slayings remains unclear.

McCroskey, who is being held in jail without bond, has been charged only in connection with Mark Niederbrock's death and the items taken from him, including his car. Those charges are first-degree murder, robbery and grand larceny.

Sources tell CBS-6 that capital murder charges are expected to be filed in two weeks. A capital murder conviction can potentially lead to a death sentence.

Much in the case remains shrouded in mystery. Search warrants – which often provide many details about a crime - remain sealed in this quadruple murder case, the worst Farmville has seen.

It seems to me that there has been a lot of speculation that the bodies were staged. Again, the tightlipped approach LE is taking leaves us all in the dark. But I do recall some locals making that inference.

Given the evidence I've seen "staged" would be speculation, but we can reasonably conclude that the women's bodies were moved. We don't yet know why.

i hope I'm not re-posting...

New details in Farmville quadruple murder investigation
Sources close to case talk about what was used to kill victims.

wtvr.com/news/wtvr-farmville-murder-update

It's worth reposting this. There were apparently two weapons, a wood maul and a chunk of wood.

One possibility is that McCroskey drove out to Poor House Road to dump the murder weapons or other items and planned to dump the bodies there later or at another location. We don't know whether he had these items in the car or not.

Another notable bit in this article, "Sources tell CBS-6 that capital murder charges are expected to be filed in two weeks. A capital murder conviction can potentially lead to a death sentence."

Yeah I must say that I did overlook that bit of info. Hmmm....wonder what floor they were on and why he moved them?

Also notice that this is apparently the first time any law enforcement person reports noticing the smell...

hmmm.... that would explain the remote location. and if he wanted to do that, he no doubt would have availed himself of the Kelley home computers to scan the locale, just as dangrs did....

Google Maps are commonly used by criminals and I know of cases where online maps were used to locate marijuana grows, identify burglary targets, escape routes, etc. The Mumbai terrorists apparently used Google Maps. Online "store locators" have been used to plan fraud activities by organized identity theft rings as another example.

Google Maps are also used to scout locations of outdoor renegade raves like the one attended by Sarah McCroskey mentioned in her LiveJournal.

Here's another little factoid that most people have overlooked...the women's bodies were found on the floor:

"When officers arrived at the house, they noticed a distinct odor that they recognized as possibly being decaying bodies," Ellington said. "They made entry and observed three bodies on the floor."

So unless they were all sleeping on the floor, the bodies were moved after death.

Hey guys. I have been lurking but until now I haven't had much to ad. Sorry that this will show up a few pages later. Still catching up.

If they were found on the floor, why would LE think they were SLEEPING when they died? Perhaps a "pallet" on the floor? (This is what we in the South call making some blankets on the bottom, some pillows, and then covers to cover with. (just saying that because Im not sure if thats a well known term...lol).

Otherwise, I'm just wondering WHY they thought the girls died in their sleep other than no defensive wounds.

On a side note, I do appreciate all of you and your input. Dangr has even grown on me..lol

This would make more sense if McCroskey hadn't called the police himself.

But it seems like the two reasons the bodies would be moved would be either to dispose of them at a hidden location (Poor House Road?) or to interact with them in some way.

Planning to dispose of the bodies would make some sense of course. Also murderers commonly dispose of the murder weapon(s), blood stained clothes that they wore during the crime, vehicles in which bodies are transported, and other items.

Alternatively, serial killers have been known to interact with their dead victims in various ways including posing the bodies, mutilation, necrophilia, cannibalism, etc. Often the point is to demonstrate a further level of control over the victim or the law enforcement investigators. Imagination is the limit here really. Also worth mentioning again Leilah Wendell's stuff which SickTanick references in the O.T.O. interview.

Interaction with bodies after a murder is relatively rare of course, whereas disposing of evidence is not.

Also as far as disposing of the bodies, maybe he wanted it to go just like the song he wrote.. he disposed of the bodies (to their "final resting place" or something of that nature). Once he wrecked the car that was no longer a viable option.

(Sorry again Im replying to older posts..trying to catch up).

Hey guys. I have been lurking but until now I haven't had much to ad. Sorry that this will show up a few pages later. Still catching up.

If they were found on the floor, why would LE think they were SLEEPING when they died? Perhaps a "pallet" on the floor? (This is what we in the South call making some blankets on the bottom, some pillows, and then covers to cover with. (just saying that because Im not sure if thats a well known term...lol).

Otherwise, I'm just wondering WHY they thought the girls died in their sleep other than no defensive wounds.

On a side note, I do appreciate all of you and your input. Dangr has even grown on me..lol

Why thank you.

There are a variety of forensic methods that could be used to determine whether the victims were asleep at the time of the murders. For example, one might find blood on the pillows and bed cloths that indicate the victims were killed while prone in bed even if the bodies were discovered on the floor elsewhere. Another indicator would be lack of defensive wounds as you mention or a trail of blood indicating where the bodies were moved from. A lot would depend on the specifics of the crime scene I think.

Also as far as disposing of the bodies, maybe he wanted it to go just like the song he wrote.. he disposed of the bodies (to their "final resting place" or something of that nature). Once he wrecked the car that was no longer a viable option.

(Sorry again Im replying to older posts..trying to catch up).

He could have been scouting a location, but he didn't have the bodies with him. The car was impounded and the bodies were found in the house.

We don't know if the car contained other items such as the murder weapons, soiled clothes, etc.

Why thank you.

There are a variety of forensic methods that could be used to determine whether the victims were asleep at the time of the murders. For example, one might find blood on the pillows and bed cloths that indicate the victims were killed while prone in bed even if the bodies were discovered on the floor elsewhere. Another indicator would be lack of defensive wounds as you mention or a trail of blood indicating where the bodies were moved from. A lot would depend on the specifics of the crime scene I think.

Good point. So say if there was blood on the bedding.. but they were found on the floor, then he obviously did move them. Either for posing, or to put in a more secluded location (maybe thats why LE did not smell anything..) or he posed them.

I tend to think the later. I also tend to think (All speculation of course) that maybe he did want it to play out exactly as he wrote in his music. I personally think he felt no remorse but instead elation. And he took his time there without leaving because he WANTED to. Some people are just psychopaths.. I believe Sam is one of them.

(I know that some believe he killed because he was a jilted lover, maybe embarrassed by rejection, etc.. To me, THAT person would have left the scene ASAP. They would not have stuck around for days. He was living out what he had fantasized.

As far as his actions later and smelling and not caring.. sleep deprivation in itself can make one not think clearly. At that point maybe even a psychotic break. One thing for sure; he PLANNED it out if they were sleeping, at least to some extent. He stayed for days with the bodies, answered the phone, and eventually killed the father. That is not a poor lost kid that snapped. To me, its a psychopath.

He could have been scouting a location, but he didn't have the bodies with him. The car was impounded and the bodies were found in the house.

We don't know if the car contained other items such as the murder weapons, soiled clothes, etc.

I dont think he did. As you say, I do believe IF he was following his plan, he would scout out. After all, he was not familiar with the area since he did not live there. One would not drive around with 4 bodies in the car without knowing where to go... just a theory..

Here's an illustrative crime scene photograph that might give you some idea of what the scene of a bludgeoning of someone in asleep in bed might look like.

WARNING DISTURBING IMAGE -- don't click if you don't want to see it

http://vanessawest.tripod.com/Wonderland_Ron_Launius.jpg

Ugh! Yes.. I see what you mean. Again.. I go back to reasons WHY he moved them.
a) pose them
b) hid them before he called the cops, just in case?? (although if the bedding looked that way and they did a check on all the rooms he would be busted. This still perplexes me that he even called them..
c) he was getting ready to transport them to another location

If C is correct, and he scouted out but then wrecked the car, cops came, etc.. even if he did not show it, it had to shake him up. So plan C scrapped, time to move.

I wonder if he thought if he moved them if he could get away with it then? I do think IF plan C was an option, at that point he was just shaken up by a close call and ready to get the hell out of there.. no sleep, not thinking straight.. no other plan.. just go home.

Ugh! Yes.. I see what you mean. Again.. I go back to reasons WHY he moved them.
a) pose them
b) hid them before he called the cops, just in case?? (although if the bedding looked that way and they did a check on all the rooms he would be busted. This still perplexes me that he even called them..
c) he was getting ready to transport them to another location

If C is correct, and he scouted out but then wrecked the car, cops came, etc.. even if he did not show it, it had to shake him up. So plan C scrapped, time to move.

I wonder if he thought if he moved them if he could get away with it then? I do think IF plan C was an option, at that point he was just shaken up by a close call and ready to get the hell out of there.. no sleep, not thinking straight.. no other plan.. just go home.

I agree with all this. But the problem is that he did call the police. I'm still mystified by this.

If he is the murderer, given his demeanor after the crimes and the contents of his music, it also seems possible that this isn't his first murder. Alternatively, the calm demeanor could be due to some sort of release or satisfaction that came from committing the act.

And then there's always the possibility of demonic possession...

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread since about day 2 when I first found it, but the bickering back and forth has kept me from wanting to get involved. Seeing Atlantica being banned when he/she was a possible source of loads of information that's still in short supply here was as baffling to me as almost any other aspect of this whole case. I'm amazed and impressed by dangrsmind's ability to hang in through all the abuse which has been tossed his way, which ironically has at times been far more egregious that anything Atlantica did from anything I've been able to determine. I don't have time for that, so you won't be seeing much from me.

I have a few points to address re: Poorhouse Road though. First, it doesn't go to Rice, Virginia. It seems that area is served by the Post Office in Rice, so the addresses there are Rice addresses. A google search for 1400 Poorhouse (make sure its one word) Road Rice, VA 23966 will take you to where Sam was towed from and a street view will put you on the spot. It's hardly a "desolate" area. It's an area with substantial farms, and several new exurban commuter homes probably those of fairly well paid university employees. There are even what look to be two possibly antebellum estates. One being Rotherwood, near where he got stuck and another being Poorhouse Farm. That isn't an uncommon name for a farm. I know of a few others in Central VA. Now of course, none of that would have been obvious to Sam, who is a suburban Cali kid.

I can see two possible reasons for him being there. If he were going to the airport, he would have taken business 460 from the middle of town and would have merged with the 460 bypass right before Poorhouse Rd. If he thought he was gong the wrong way, which is very possible since those mergers can be very confusing at times, he might have tried to turn around at Poorhouse. I drive on roads just like Poorhouse Rd. all the time and have many times been stuck hoping to turn around at the next convenient place and not been able to find one for a very long way, especially if someone is behind me. Central Virginia rural roads are often very narrow with ditches on both sides. Driveways that meet them aren't made for turn arounds. He got stuck trying to do just that, which illustrates the point rather well.

Looking for a dumping spot for something is another very plausible explanation. If that were the case, then it may explain why he turned around where he did. There are several houses there along the road. He may have been looking for someplace with no one around and started seeing more houses, which would be exactly what he didn't want.

I'm a little skeptical of the dumping theory though. Going North East along River Rd. or straight up 1st Ave. to rt. 643 West would have taken him to an isolated area much more directly. He's a kid who probably didn't drive much at home, who has someone else's car, and who doesn't know the area, so I think that would be an important consideration. In the airport videos he seems to have had a bag with him. He was ready to travel. I don't see a reason for him to have been ready to travel if he was just scouting for a body dumping trip that would have had him go back to the house first.

Maybe someone can make more sense of what he was doing there with a closer examination of the map and street view. One thing I'm pretty certain of though is that almost everyone who volunteers on the local rescue squad or who works in the police or sheriff's department, or the local funeral home knows a significant number of the facts that seem to be so elusive and yet so interesting about this case. If Atlantica is from that area with extend family there to boot, he/she can't be more than one degree removed from someone who knows all of those details. That ban was a huge loss for this thread. I'm just stunned that the moderator hasn't invited Atlantica back.

My $.02 for now. Back to lurking.

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread since about day 2 when I first found it, but the bickering back and forth has kept me from wanting to get involved. Seeing Atlantica being banned when he/she was a possible source of loads of information that's still in short supply here was as baffling to me as almost any other aspect of this whole case. I'm amazed and impressed by dangrsmind's ability to hang in through all the abuse which has been tossed his way, which ironically has at times been far more egregious that anything Atlantica did from anything I've been able to determine. I don't have time for that, so you won't be seeing much from me.

I have a few points to address re: Poorhouse Road though. First, it doesn't go to Rice, Virginia. It seems that area is served by the Post Office in Rice, so the addresses there are Rice addresses. A google search for 1400 Poorhouse (make sure its one word) Road Rice, VA 23966 will take you to where Sam was towed from and a street view will put you on the spot. It's hardly a "desolate" area. It's an area with substantial farms, and several new exurban commuter homes probably those of fairly well paid university employees. There are even what look to be two possibly antebellum estates. One being Rotherwood, near where he got stuck and another being Poorhouse Farm. That isn't an uncommon name for a farm. I know of a few others in Central VA. Now of course, none of that would have been obvious to Sam, who is a suburban Cali kid.

I can see two possible reasons for him being there. If he were going to the airport, he would have taken business 460 from the middle of town and would have merged with the 460 bypass right before Poorhouse Rd. If he thought he was gong the wrong way, which is very possible since those mergers can be very confusing at times, he might have tried to turn around at Poorhouse. I drive on roads just like Poorhouse Rd. all the time and have many times been stuck hoping to turn around at the next convenient place and not been able to find one for a very long way, especially if someone is behind me. Central Virginia rural roads are often very narrow with ditches on both sides. Driveways that meet them aren't made for turn arounds. He got stuck trying to do just that, which illustrates the point rather well.

Looking for a dumping spot for something is another very plausible explanation. If that were the case, then it may explain why he turned around where he did. There are several houses there along the road. He may have been looking for someplace with no one around and started seeing more houses, which would be exactly what he didn't want.

I'm a little skeptical of the dumping theory though. Going North East along River Rd. or straight up 1st Ave. to rt. 643 West would have taken him to an isolated area much more directly. He's a kid who probably didn't drive much at home, who has someone else's car, and who doesn't know the area, so I think that would be an important consideration. In the airport videos he seems to have had a bag with him. He was ready to travel. I don't see a reason for him to have been ready to travel if he was just scouting for a body dumping trip that would have had him go back to the house first.

Maybe someone can make more sense of what he was doing there with a closer examination of the map and street view. One thing I'm pretty certain of though is that almost everyone who volunteers on the local rescue squad or who works in the police or sheriff's department, or the local funeral home knows a significant number of the facts that seem to be so elusive and yet so interesting about this case. If Atlantica is from that area with extend family there to boot, he/she can't be more than one degree removed from someone who knows all of those details. That ban was a huge loss for this thread. I'm just stunned that the moderator hasn't invited Atlantica back.

Interesting local knowledge. Thanks.

Edited to add: there is a picture of a California Identity card for McCroskey. This indicates he might not have a driver's license, although it is obviously impossible to say for sure. If he isn't licensed he might not have much driving experience, and he might be more prone to make these sorts of mistakes.

Thank you as well and I hope you dont continue to lurk. We all dont agree, but lets all hope we can agree to disagree. I think thats where Atlantica met her faith.

As far as having a bag, I dont see that being a problem. The time line is vague (unless someone else can clue me in). I think everything was in close enough proximity that he could have gone back for the bag after the tow truck.. Then again, maybe I missed all that in the precise details regarding the area. (Its hard to envision for a person like myself. I am a visual person...).

Anyway... unless you guys debunk this, I am still thinking he may have been scouting a place to dump the bodies..jmo of course.

Thank you as well and I hope you dont continue to lurk. We all dont agree, but lets all hope we can agree to disagree. I think thats where Atlantica met her faith.

As far as having a bag, I dont see that being a problem. The time line is vague (unless someone else can clue me in). I think everything was in close enough proximity that he could have gone back for the bag after the tow truck.. Then again, maybe I missed all that in the precise details regarding the area. (Its hard to envision for a person like myself. I am a visual person...).

Anyway... unless you guys debunk this, I am still thinking he may have been scouting a place to dump the bodies..jmo of course.

OR maybe he had a plan A and plan B.. plan A.. finding a place to dump the bodies.. plan B being just get the hell out of there. I wonder if he would have even gone to the airport if the car had not wrecked... maybe he was planning on just taking off.. just thoughts out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl