Not open for further replies.
img_1982-copy.jpg

These are the "normal" people here...

Surely a linguist can find some more?

dyad -- yadday
dyads -- yadsday

shyahs -- yahsshay parts of a "recurve" bow

nyan -- yannay Japanese word for meow
dyad, that what our drivers use, you know, the electronic clipboards you see the UPS drivers using. :)

Did anyone catch Justice Alito theatrics last night during the speech?

Watch here:

[video=youtube;4pB5uR3zgsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pB5uR3zgsA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Shakes his head and utters "Not true." LOL

The speech was worth it just for the looks on the joint chiefs faces when Obama declared and end to dont ask dont tell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvv_nAgh2RA&feature=player_embedded

To be fair, Pax, it was pretty awkward when Obama called out the Supreme Court. Otherwise, it was a great speech.

Yeah... Yo friend, we don't all share the same political views.

Much as I like how we all get along in here, despite differing viewpoints, I think bringing pure party politics into it is not a great idea.

Jmo, IMHO, etc

To be fair, Pax, it was pretty awkward when Obama called out the Supreme Court. Otherwise, it was a great speech.

Oh yea I just thought it was interesting that Alito actually reacted, you dont see that often, the rest of them were statues.

Much as I like how we all get along in here, despite differing viewpoints, I think bringing pure party politics into it is not a great idea.

Jmo, IMHO, etc

Nah no political statement on my part I just enjoy watching the funny reactions is all.

I am not a fan of either party anymore.

(youre right though and I wont do it again)

Oh yea I just thought it was interesting that Alito actually reacted, you dont see that often, the rest of them were statues.

I think this video is quite fascinating actually.

I've watched it a few dozen times now. Some interesting editing and other things.

Note how the camera pans to the justices before Obama finishes talking and before he says "supreme court" or "seperation of powers". The camera then cuts to a close up on the justices to catch Alito's reaction. This camera motion and cut all happens before Alito does anything to attract attention as far as I can tell.

Is it typical for the TV broadcaster to know what the President is going to say before he says it? Because I am not sure how they knew where to point the camera here before the president even makes it clear what it is that he's talking about. Or was this video just crudely edited after the fact to make the reaction stand out?

Things that make me say "hmm". Watch it again and tell me what you think.

I think this video is quite fascinating actually.

I've watched it a few dozen times now. Some interesting editing and other things.

Note how the camera pans to the justices before Obama finishes talking and before he says "supreme court" or "seperation of powers". The camera then cuts to a close up on the justices to catch Alito's reaction. This camera motion and cut all happens before Alito does anything to attract attention as far as I can tell.

Is it typical for the TV broadcaster to know what the President is going to say before he says it? Because I am not sure how they knew where to point the camera here before the president even makes it clear what it is that he's talking about. Or was this video just crudely edited after the fact to make the reaction stand out?

Things that make me say "hmm". Watch it again and tell me what you think.

I see what you mean yes, interesting. I know they do hand out transcripts of the speech to the media and others 30 mins before he gives it.

dyad, that what our drivers use, you know, the electronic clipboards you see the UPS drivers using. :)

From a book I am reading right now...

"At the most basic level, a linkage or relationship establishes a tie between two actors. The tie is inherently a property of the pair and therefore not thought of as pertaining simply to an individual actor. Many kinds of network analysis are concerned with understanding ties among pairs. All of these approaches take the dyad as the unit of analysis. A dyad consists of a pair of actors and the (possible) tie(s) between them."

dyad: SickTanick --> January 22, 2010 <-- Renata Monet

;)

From a book I am reading right now...

"At the most basic level, a linkage or relationship establishes a tie between two actors. The tie is inherently a property of the pair and therefore not thought of as pertaining simply to an individual actor. Many kinds of network analysis are concerned with understanding ties among pairs. All of these approaches take the dyad as the unit of analysis. A dyad consists of a pair of actors and the (possible) tie(s) between them."

dyad: SickTanick --> January 22, 2010 <-- Renata Monet

;)

But you reject structuralist semiotics?

But you reject structuralist semiotics?

I don't reject structuralism, I just don't think structuralism is the complete answer to everything. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say I question structuralism. Also, there are some well known critiques of structuralism, but frankly these are beyond my expertise to present.

My work in the area is pragmatic and not theoretical. My approach is based in social network analysis, graph theory, semantic and affinity networks and related mathematical and computer science concepts. Semiotics provides some important philosophical background to these analytical methods, but frankly these sorts of issues don't come up on a day to day basis.

See also: http://books.google.com/books?id=WV6Si29I010C&lpg=PP1&pg=PT234#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I'm gonna throw something out here. I think those WBC subhumans have a right to their protests because, as Andres pointed out, free speech is a double edge sword. Now inciting violence would be, I would think, disturbing the peace and a criminal offense.
However, what I would like to toss in for discussion, is the idea of longer sentences for so-called hate crimes. I personally think this is a very questionable idea. A crime is a crime and the penalty should be the same. If Race A guy beats the living hell out of Race B guy just because he hates those Bs does he deserve a longer sentence? I know this could be an inflammatory circumstance in regards to sentencing but isn't such consideration already built into the system without having to have a specific law passed calling it a "hate" crime?
I am currently opposed to the idea but welcome all comments to the contrary, especially from our lawyers hanging out here.

I am totally for it and I'm glad they differentiate hate crimes from other crimes because they are so different.A hate crime does not result in one victim ,it is carried out against a whole group of people.If you kill someone let's say who is gay that by itself is not a hate crime but if you kill him/her because she is gay you are sending the message that it did not matter who you killed you just did it because of their race/sexuality/religion...so you're really not commiting a crime against one person you're commiting a crime against a whole group of people...that's how I see it and understand it

Jmo, IMHO, etc

lol, come on Tapu I thought once the ring pop barrier is crossed we should be able to discuss anything :crazy:

Ring pops. {tapu shakes head} I can't believe I let myself get drawn into that controversy.

Purely as an aside (unlike the rest of what we talk about :rolleyes:)--

Do you know what I would pay to make all the Game Room threads disappear from the New Posts line-up?

A lot.

I already asked . He doesn't know of any way. The most you can do is mark them as read.

How many counting games or one-letter game or what-f'ing-ever do they need, though?

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members