VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty close. I go to Namibia ( Southwest Africa ) and buy crystals from the local diggers. I'll be out your way in tucson in 2 weeks to sell them. Passing right thru 505 on my way.

Stop and say hello to our girl Razzy for us...

An interesting article I just finished reading, some of you may enjoy it:

The Weird World of Occult America -- How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation

By Alexander Zaitchik, Killing the Buddha
Posted on January 28, 2010

http://www.alternet.org/story/145468/

If witch-burning Puritans are the original jocks of American history, then the mystics surrounding Johannes Kelpius are the first goths. While the rest of the British colonies were still dutifully worshipping their angry Christian god, Kelpius and his followers—who fled Austria to settle in Philadelphia during the late seventeenth-century—busied themselves with astrology, alchemy, Kabbalah, and other “dark arts” with tangled roots in the Italian Renaissance, the Rosicrucian Enlightenment, and various (often fabricated) antiquities. We meet Kelpius early in Mitch Horowitz’s Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation, an uneven but always interesting account of 400 years of New World Strange. Among the several misconceptions Horowitz seeks to dispel, the most foundational is the idea that Colonial America provided shelter only for persecuted Christian sects. Almost from the beginning, North America was also home to a fair number of those who, like Kelpius, had more arcane spiritual interests.

Horowitz never claims that these beliefs were as formative an influence as Christianity in the making of America, but after finishing his book, one can’t help but wonder if maybe Ouija boards don’t belong next to King James in every motel room. Horowitz ably chronicles how occult traditions have, over the centuries, deeply and consistently influenced the American mainstream—sometimes entering the mainstream themselves in the process. Many of the figures that populate Horowitz’s narrative will be unknown to the uninitiated, but their impact is illustrated by the frequent appearance of more familiar names. Mormonism’s founder Joseph Smith, after a childhood in the Hudson Valley’s famously heterodox “Burnt-over District,” was at the time of his death studying Hebrew and Kabbalah. Henry Ford was a fan of the New Thought leader Ralph Waldo Trine, and he often gave visitors copies of Trine’s In Tune With the Infinite. Frederick Douglass left open the possibility that a magic “hoodoo” root (not to be confused with “voodoo”) helped him secure victory against a cruel slave master.

More at link:

http://www.alternet.org/story/145468/

Pretty close. I go to Namibia ( Southwest Africa ) and buy crystals from the local diggers. I'll be out your way in tucson in 2 weeks to sell them. Passing right thru 505 on my way.

Do let me know where you set up and I will see if I can get down there and buy something from you or at least say hello, that would be fun.

Am I the only person that didn't like Catcher in the Rye? No my wife didn't like it either. ;)
I'm with you both. I was 16 when I read it. I was going to change the world.
Cynicism is hard to understand until you've lived a little.
I should probably read it again.

>>>snip

J. D. Salinger, Literary Recluse, Dies at 91
By CHARLES McGRATH
Published: January 28, 2010

J. D. Salinger, who was thought at one time to be the most important American writer to emerge since World War II but who then turned his back on success and adulation, becoming the Garbo of letters, famous for not wanting to be famous, died on Wednesday at his home in Cornish, N.H., where he had lived in seclusion for more than 50 years. He was 91.

<<<snip

(article continues)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/books/29salinger.html

Zig I'm usually up fairly late because I work most nights until 9 to 11pm. Then I come home and play on the computer. I work in a brewpub, owned by friends, and do everything from waiting tables to sales and distribution. We are currently self-distributing and have our beer in about 40 different bars and bottle shops from San Francisco on down to San Diego.

Welcome back Dawg -- I'd love to go to Africa some day.

Internet by Proxy -- that's awesome didn't know about that. I have long wondered how I could surf anonymously. I already use Scroogle.org for anonymous web searches but I don't now how much good that does once you click through to a link and your IP address is registered.

Hi, Dawg, Hi, Sally. :wave:

So... that was some list of books you all compiled. Not sure that the idea of suggesting them for Sam didn't maybe get lost along the way, but it might not make a difference.

The book I'm suggesting to him is a simple book on yoga. A yoga for kids book, actually. Just to follow up from where I asked for other suggestions.

Some interesting book lists on here. But, where do you all find time to read? I mean, it sometimes takes me half a day just to catch up with this thread. :book:

The book I'm suggesting to him is a simple book on yoga. A yoga for kids book, actually. Just to follow up from where I asked for other suggestions.

I recommend this:

Yoga-For-Dummies-palm-size-har-5761194.jpg

I recommend this:

Yoga-For-Dummies-palm-size-har-5761194.jpg

Oh, that's a good idea, Wes.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Amazon.com: A Yoga Parade of Animals: A First Picture Book of Yoga for Children (9781901881899): Pauline Mainland, Chris Perry: Books

I've used it with kids, and adults. I was trying to think of something that might really get through to the person who must somewhere be inside even an alleged multiple murderer.

I also know a couple of people in prison who would be pinging off the wall if they hadn't had this to get through the long years so far.

Tapu, I know you were trying to be serious, while me on the other hand was just...was just being me. :angel:

Tapu, I know you were trying to be serious, while me on the other hand was just...was just being me. :angel:

Oh! Ha ha! I get it now! Boy, M.I.DUM......:eek:

Thanks for the concern.

I was just trying to erase a double posting with jibberish. The aaaa does represent my stress level pretty well though...2 meetings tommorrow, bleh.

If you ever get a chance get the book NO ANGEL by Jay Dobyns, he is a personal friend of mine we went to college and played football together at the University of Arizona, he is a former DEA agent and the first undercover LE to actually infiltrate and get patched in to the HELLS ANGELS and that book is the story of how all that went down and the toll it took on him, his personal and professional life and his family. Jay is a GREAT GUY. All those tats were done just for the job as Jay is really not a tat kind of guy but he transformed his entire body and look just for that Hells Angels operation.

jay-d.jpg

Now I know Claudicici doesn't like me. It was nice of her to invite me over to check out this thread - have you ever tried to figure out what is going on in a seven thread, posts that are too high to count thread before? My, my, my, my, my.

Obviously, I haven't read everything but got an overview of the case. Those girls were clearly in over their heads with devastating consequences.

The reason I randomly picked PAXIMUS's post to attach to here is because I'm interested in reading the book he has brought to our attention. When I was a teenager, I knew a small statured man named "Mike". He was older than me and was on the fringe of some people I knew. He dressed like a tough guy as in Biker, and strutted his stuff like he was real tough. He would pull up on his "hog" and join us on the porch and hang out for a while. One of my friend's brothers was older and had a bike which was probably the connection. Anyway, one day I was sitting there - just Mike and I. I began asking him questions about himself, how he felt about being short and how I thought he always seemed nice but he looked mean. He told me he had just evolved into his image because he likes to ride a bike and was tired of being picked on because he was so short. He told me he felt limited as far as attracting girls and basically that some people don't give him, the person he is, half a chance because he is short. Therefore, why not become what he had become - a scary looking guy. At least he warranted attention that way.. That made a lot of sense to me and I told him so. I was thinking this is really cool as Mike is actually talking to me as in sharing his feelings and respecting me by answering my earnest questions. He said that I was a nice girl and he really enjoyed talking to me. He was actually lonely deep down. He never crossed unethical boundaries with me. Every time I saw him, because of that one conversation, I felt connected to him. Weird, I haven't thought about this in years. People want to be understood, want to be noticed and are often blotted out by others because of a single attribute that has nothing to do with who they really are. Then they develope personas based on their experiences with others.

This is a particularly good book here:
Dark alliance : the CIA, the Contras, and the crack cocaine explosion by Gary Webb
Thats right my friends TWO GUNSHOTS to the head called a SUICIDE LOL now how do you pull that one off?? Two shots is impossible to be a suicide, Webb was silenced after he broke the story of Iran Contras guns and drugs running by US alphabet soup agencies.

Not to be too gross, but people can and do live through one gunshot to the head (my s-i-l's Dad did). Not that most are in any position to fire a second time, but it IS possible.

Some interesting book lists on here. But, where do you all find time to read? I mean, it sometimes takes me half a day just to catch up with this thread. :book:

A lot of the kind of books listed here probably wouldn't work (just because they aren't so readable-outloud, or have lots of appendices or diagrams), but I read a LOT with books-on-tape and books-on-CD in the car.

Now I know Claudcici doesn't like me. It was nice of her to invite me over to check out this thread

woops! sorry I called you a fellow when saying that you needed to be here!
:blushing:

I think you'll find this to be a very interesting place ... we're kinda off here in the basement corner of WS, and you're most welcome to have a warm mug of tea ... settle in for a wild ride :woohoo:

Now I know Claudcici doesn't like me. It was nice of her to invite me over to check out this thread - have you ever tried to figure out what is going on in a seven thread, posts that are too high to count thread before? My, my, my, my, my.

Obviously, I haven't read everything but got an overview of the case. Those girls were clearly in over their heads with devastating consequences.

The reason I randomly picked PAXIMUS's post to attach to here is because I'm interested in reading the book he has brought to our attention. When I was a teenager, I knew a small statured man named "Mike". He was older than me and was on the fringe of some people I knew. He dressed like a tough guy as in Biker, and strutted his stuff like he was real tough. He would pull up on his "hog" and join us on the porch and hang out for a while. One of my friend's brothers was older and had a bike which was probably the connection. Anyway, one day I was sitting there - just Mike and I. I began asking him questions about himself, how he felt about being short and how I thought he always seemed nice but he looked mean. He told me he had just evolved into his image because he likes to ride a bike and was tired of being picked on because he was so short. He told me he felt limited as far as attracting girls and basically that some people don't give him, the person he is, half a chance because he is short. Therefore, why not become what he had become - a scary looking guy. At least he warranted attention that way.. That made a lot of sense to me and I told him so. I was thinking this is really cool as Mike is actually talking to me as in sharing his feelings and respecting me by answering my earnest questions. He said that I was a nice girl and he really enjoyed talking to me. He was actually lonely deep down. He never crossed unethical boundaries with me. Every time I saw him, because of that one conversation, I felt connected to him. Weird, I haven't thought about this in years. People want to be understood, want to be noticed and are often blotted out by others because of a single attribute that has nothing to do with who they really are. Then they develope personas based on their experiences with others.

Good story and thanks for sharing. We are all of course waiting for Sam's trial so we sort of just talk about random and interesting things and somehow at the end of the day it all seems to tie back in to the case somehow.

Anyway glad you joined us and I think if you stick around you will not be disapointed as this is the most intelligent and interesting group of internet forum posters I have ever known and there is always room for more so welcome in!

BTW you will like NO ANGEL, read it.

For a good overview of this case go to WIKI and search FARMVILLE MURDERS, Wiki has a pretty good overview for the beginner.

woops! sorry I called you a fellow when saying that you needed to be here!
:blushing:

I think you'll find this to be a very interesting place ... we're kinda off here in the basement corner of WS, and you're most welcome to have a warm mug of tea ... settle in for a wild ride :woohoo:

Thank you. I love tea. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members