Found Deceased VA - Emma Compton Layne, 52, Cody, 17 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RIP Emma :rose:

I pray her murderer will be arrested soon. #JusticeforEmma

Justice for Emma.....hoping this is only the first step to holding someone accountable.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Jan 16

When I first heard that the remains were found, there was a sense of relief. But, confirmation does not bring closure. The only thing that would bring closure would be an arrest and trial. But, even then, I think there’ll never really be closure in my heart,” said Wynona Childress, Layne’s sister.

The sheriff said Thursday evening no arrest has been made in Layne’s death at this time.

“We are still awaiting additional information from the medical examiner’s office concerning the circumstances and cause of death,” the sheriff said. “But we are treating this as a homicide investigation and are continuing to pursue all possible leads related to Mrs. Layne’s death. This investigation is top priority."

http://www.yourgv.com/business/loca...cle_6569089e-f975-11e7-80af-63bffdfb6309.html

No news of an arrest yet....

An article posted on January 19 had some information I hadn't seen before. I apologize if it's been posted before.

http://www.theunionstar.com/news/article_4f9b279e-fd22-11e7-8234-47bc5fa3f646.html

"'I got in contact with Emma’s husband, Russell Layne, who gave us permission to go into the house and look at whatever we needed to,' Investigator J. M. Burton of the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office said late last year."

The article goes on to say that cadaver dogs were subsequently used at the home and in surrounding areas, but that nothing of "substance" was found. I assume she was killed at or near the store so maybe all of this is meaningless anyway.

By the way, I also emailed several reporters who had written articles on this case, asking for updates. I'll post anything I hear back if anyone replies.

I hope all this silence means LE is getting their ducks in a row in order to make an arrest and present an airtight case.

MOO, as always.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

As a year passes since Nathalie woman reported missing, officials still working to bring charges
It’s been a year since 53-year-old Emma Compton Layne disappeared in the northern part of Halifax County and a little more than five months since authorities positively identified her body.
Wynona Childress, one of Layne’s sisters, said, “I believe investigators are trying to put together as good a case as they possibly can to get a conviction. You never think something like this could take this long, but they really have to present a strong case, and I believe they will.”

While Layne’s family, community and friends want justice for their loved one, they’re trying to be patient and continue to lean on each other during this difficult time.

Recently, they all gathered for a celebration of life where Childress said Layne’s high school friends gathered to share stories of their sister and friend.

I was really hoping to see an arrest by now.
I can only hope LE actually has something, but are just being sure that charges will stick.
I so very much want for this lovely lady to have justice.
And I note there continues to nothing but crickets from/about/concerning the husband...

add'l article:

Emma Layne's family still searching for answers a year after her death
"We are striving for justice for Emma. We're not giving up. We want the person that committed this crime to know that we're not giving up," says Layne's sister, Wynona Childress.

。。。

As a year passes since Nathalie woman reported missing, officials still working to bring charges

I was really hoping to see an arrest by now.
I can only hope LE actually has something, but are just being sure that charges will stick.
I so very much want for this lovely lady to have justice.
And I note there continues to nothing but crickets from/about/concerning the husband...

add'l article:

Emma Layne's family still searching for answers a year after her death

。。。
Thanks for the post. I think about Emma fairly often, and keep hoping for resolution for her family.

btw, just thought I'd mention in a January article, I noticed this little extra info slipped in, concerning the state of the remains (BBM):
"A person may wander off into the woods and die. They don't wander off into the woods in a sleeping bag and bury themselves in a shallow grave," says Childress.
I've seen a few times that the remains were scattered, and there was a shallow grave; but this is the only place I've read about the sleeping bag... :(

Emma Layne's family calls for justice for her murder

。。。

Quote from the article:

Krohn is working to make sure her sister isn’t forgotten. She calls multiple times a week for updates on the investigation.

The Halifax County Sheriff’s Office said Emma’s case is a top priority for the department. They said it is still an active case and are working with state police to bring Layne's killer to justice.

Krohn said she will continue to push for justice for her sister and work to ensure whoever killed Emma is brought to justice.

“If you were big enough to take her life..it’s time to quit being a coward and admit it,” Krohn said.

No arrest yet....

March 25, 2019
A small crowd of family and friends gathered at Cody Store on Saturday to keep alive the quest for justice in the death of Emma Compton Layne, who disappeared in June 2017 in an unsolved homicide.

The rally brought together the deceased woman’s family, customers of Cody Store, which Layne owned, and friends in the northern Halifax community. They remembered Layne as fun-loving, happy and easy to like and strike up a conversation with.

Friends, family rally in Cody to seek justice for Emma Compton Layne | South Boston Virginia News | TheNewsRecord.com

"The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner Central District this week released the cause of death for Emma Compton Layne — “homicidal violence to include traumatic neck injury, and the manner is homicide.”

“I want the guilty party or parties held accountable. That was wrong what they did to her. Emma deserves justice. She was a beautiful person,” said sister Shawna Krohn who lives in Mississippi. Her sister Wynona Childress of Hurt feels the same way. “I want someone arrested, convicted and to have to serve the maximum prison sentence. It’s not enough, because nothing will bring Emma back,” Childress added."

Medical examiner: Neck injury caused death in 2017 homicide

Dealing with the anniversary of her disappearance, Krohn said, “I’m going through a really tough time. There are times when I want to pick up the phone and call her. It’s too hard.”

Her sister agreed saying, “I’ve been a mess lately. It’s pretty much all I’ve been thinking about. As the day gets closer, my anxiety increases.”

‘There are times when I want to pick up the phone and call her. It’s too hard.’

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha
Back