VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be snarky here, I promise, but where is all this "sorority" stuff coming from? No sorority that I've ever heard of conducts recruitment this way. Informal recruitment was mentioned above somewhere in a previous post and doesn't really mean what you might think it means. There is no "pledging" anymore except to refer simply to the time period between bidding and initiation, which, in itself, merely consists of a commemorative pinning ceremony. Each organization has it's owns traditions, so they vary. I have a good knowledge of this subject, however, not this campus. National organizations are very protective of their trademark, however, and have a consistent policy nationwide.

But I can tell you that charters are pulled every day for less. Fraternities are an entirely different matter

I would be shocked if this indeed, ended up having anything to do with sorority in any way.

ETA: As far as pledges ( pretty sure they aren't even supposed to use this term anymore, officially) are not ever be asked, coerced etc to do anything that any upperclass member isn't asked to do. The rules have gotten so strict, in fact, that they can't even have more innocent activities aimed at new members. There is both good and bad in this, but it is what happens when people abuse the rules that were in place previously. JMO.

...just brainstorming...
( some sororities have exclusive/private initiations...it's a fact)

...in any case...something to look into...
...probably has absolutely zero to do with this case though...

With regard to the parents' statement that they fear foul play....what would YOU be fearing at this point? They're not HOPING foul play, for goodness sake. But it's realistic. Also, that comment was framed by their statements about how Hannah being out of touch would be completely out of character.

This may sound like an obvious thing, but I wonder if they've checked hospital admissions. The reason I ask is because a woman in another thread was just found safe in a hospital 4 days after last being seen wandering about in the middle of the night.

Wow. What a case.

I agree with all of you who think her parents are being realistic--they are. Good for them, this must be so hard.

I haven't read all of the thread, have they investigated her friends? Especially the one she last texted?

...just brainstorming...
( some sororities have exclusive/private initiations...it's a fact)

...in any case...something to look into...
...probably has absolutely zero to do with this case though...

They all have exclusive/private initiations. They do not include hazing. Most also have adult alumnae advisors involved. Just saying. I understand the need to find out about the party she was attending before she left, but a party doesn't add up to a hazing incident, in my opinion. I wouldn't tend to think a group would send a "pledge" out on such an obvious hazing type of mission, even if they are rogue and ignoring rules and sanctions. You would tend to think they would keep it very contained. Like you said, it probably doesn't have any bearing here, however, I respect your right to bring it to light for further discussion. That's how cases make progress and hopefully become solved.

I just wish college students realized how vulnerable they are in these situations.

This RSO angle is one I hope that LE will follow up on.

Is there a new thread yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I was in college, but I was greek and heavily involved with Panhellenic council. An informal rush is usually only held (or was, again, going on many years ago) for Sororities who did not make "quota" during the previous Formal Rush. Typically, it is sororities who are not doing so great with their numbers (again, someone correct me if this has changed). Those type of sororities are not likely to send anyone racing through the streets alone at night. If she was "in a sorority" this is something she did last winter and is already considered a "sister", not a "pledge".

My heart goes out to the family. I am in Richmond and we are getting a lot of coverage here. Sigh.

Boy, this forum sure goes off on tangents. doesn't it?

It's been a while since I was in college, but I was greek and heavily involved with Panhellenic council. An informal rush is usually only held (or was, again, going on many years ago) for Sororities who did not make "quota" during the previous Formal Rush. Typically, it is sororities who are not doing so great with their numbers (again, someone correct me if this has changed). Those type of sororities are not likely to send anyone racing through the streets alone at night. If she was "in a sorority" this is something she did last winter and is already considered a "sister", not a "pledge".

My heart goes out to the family. I am in Richmond and we are getting a lot of coverage here. Sigh.

This is also my understanding about informal rush (or recruitment, as they are now required to call it, even though everyone still just says "rush"). Some campuses may not even have it if it isn't needed. You are spot on, though, that a struggling group isn't likely to haze. They are struggling, as it is.

As a mom of college girls, this last week as been tough on the emotions. I feel for these moms. I just can't imagine and hope I never have to.

The going off on tangents happens in the early days of most cases because there is only one general discussion thread. In cases that go on for some time, there will be a specific forum for the case and individual topic threads to follow if it interests you.

ok, fair enough. I just go with the facts as they are at the time, then use logic to the next step. Simple explanations are usually the answer. No worries. :)

Just trying to clarify and lend experience.

I have zero knowledge of sororities so I found your info. interesting. I also thing it helped squash even more of a tangent about it being connected to a sorority.

I think everyone should take a peek at this in case they missed it....and then google SAYLOR, RAYMOND, NATHANIEL on the sex offender registry.

One would like to think that this man would have been one of the first to be interviewed regarding Hannah. In regard to Morgan and the previous rape victim there is DNA on file, and this man's DNA profile should have been reviewed to see if there was a match.

My heart really goes out to Hannah's family and to all the other parents of students at her school, this is so worrying..

"Police said there was no indication Graham's disappearance was linked to any of the other cases, but Mooney said the rural area where Morgan Harrington's remains were found has been checked just in case. Harrington, a Virginia Tech student, disappeared in 2009 while attending a rock concert at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena. No arrests have been made in that case.

Graham is 5-foot-11 with blue eyes, light brown hair and freckles. Police released surveillance photos showing Graham dressed in the black slacks and gold and black crop top she was believed to be wearing when she disappeared.

Police have established a designated tip line for information on Graham. The number is 434-295-3851."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/17/4158699/search-widens-for-missing-virginia.html#storylink=cpy

Wow, I just watched the videos. She seems disoriented to me, but she's not moving like someone who is falling-down-drunk, and she doesn't look like she's been drugged.

If UVA is anything like my alma matter (one of the Big Ten), first-year students live on campus and don't really get to the main downtown area their first or second years, especially if they are involved in the Greek system and socializing at fraternity parties and the like, because the sororities and fraternities are on the other side of campus from the major part of downtown. In fact, I didn't really get to the center of town much until I was over 21 and could go to bars. I wonder if UVA is similar and she hadn't really been walking around that area on foot all that much, since she's only a sophomore? I could easily have gotten disoriented at night downtown, even if stone-cold sober.

Are all individuals on a sex offender registry required to provide their DNA? Is it always in "a database?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevewho