VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat of a sidenote.

College kids really need to start being smarter and more cautious. I am a Penn State alum and certainly lived my college life as most do. But, they really need to understand while it may seem college is in its own bubble and world, these schools are still in a town that has its world going on with people unaffiliated to the college. Penn State and i'm sure UVA is not a whole lot different, was a huge campus but the off campus parties sprawled across a great area. I think its great that most of these schools the students dont need to drive to get to their parties - DUI is bad enough. But, kids just explore and stumble about wherever they want going to party after party. They really need a wake up call and start being more careful about their decisions. Walking alone is bad enough. Walking alone while intoxicated is worse. These students are not invincible and obviously we are seeing this more often than we should. Ok end soap box.

Hannah is missing.
Popcorn is missing.
Jesse is missing.

We have local, state, and the FBI on the case. Maybe we need to call the local rescues/pound, animal control, and CIA, and whoever else!!!

:thinking:

BombShell Tonight !!!

Nancy Grace is asking how Dreads Mathews got away......Longo is stammering a little bit and blaming it on the D.A.

Mark Klass had some input earlier

As I said before, nothing progresses until the DA says so. The Chief's frustration with that is true of every police chief. LE do their jobs, cross their T's and dot their I's, they get their ducks in a row and want to forge full speed ahead. The DA are the speed bumps of the judicial system. It's not perfect, but it's accountability and ensures that the wheels of justice turn correctly. Albeit slowly.

BombShell Tonight !!!

Nancy is now getting into Dreads background. He has lots of friends up and down the East Coast. He is described as a nice guy. He grew up in that area his entire life.

Longo is going over the timeline now and talking about the videos that Hannah appeared in.

Supposedly they will be taking calls from viewers (but I wouldn't count on it)

Nope, no calls from viewers. Nancy is in her solemn mode now talking about fallen soldiers.

End of show.

Lol, Wikipedia at least links to sources. You just can't compare the two. The Daily Mail is notorious, and not for no reason.

I am not comparing the two...point being snobby professors balked and laughed at wikipedia 10 years ago....saw it first hand in my graduate program.

C'ville resident and first time poster here - be gentle. ;)

It's only 1/2 mile from the Shell station to the downtown mall and less than .2 miles from the Shell station to McGrady's. A determined walker can walk that in less than 15 minutes, easy. The video of her in front of the Shell station shows her running (we don't know for how long) so less than 10 minutes from McGrady's to the downtown mall would be entirely reasonable.

I do agree that it's dark and there wouldn't be many (if any) open businesses between the Shell station and the downtown mall. Plus, some sketchy neighborhoods on either side of Preston in that area...

Welcomes 3cr3tag3nt (how do you say that?) -- great to have local people who have insight into HG's path that night!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/19/missing-virginia-student/15890571/

9:30 p.m. ET. Graham is captured on Camden Plaza Apartments surveillance video in a hallway a few blocks away from the GrandMarc apartments (1) where she lives.

2. 11:50 p.m. Graham's friends meet her at Camden Plaza Apartments on 14th Street Northwest. It is the last time they see her.

Sept. 13

3. 12:46 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at McGrady's Pub on Grady Avenue. Police say she was having a conversation with a man and appeared drunk.

4. 1 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at a Shell gas station on Preston Avenue across railroad tracks from her apartment and the UVa. campus. She's seen running then walking.

5. 1:06 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at Sal's Pizza on East Main Street. A white man walks into the camera's view, looks over his shoulder then steps into a doorway. Graham walks past him and then he starts walking behind her. He later came to police and told them he was following Graham because she seemed distressed and he wanted to make sure she was safe.

6. 1:08 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at Tuel's Jewelers on East Main Street. The video shows the man walking some distance behind her.

7. After 1:08 a.m. Graham and a man with dreadlocks enter Tempo Restaurant & Bar on Fifth Street Southeast. He buys alcohol, they stay 15 minutes and leave together.

• 1:20 a.m. Graham texts friends, "I'm coming to a party...but I'm lost." It was the last time she had contact with anyone. If her phone pinpointed her location, police have not released the information, and police did not clarify whether the text was sent before or after leaving the bar.

If this time line is correct, then AmyElizabeth brings up an excellent point. She couldn't have made it from the Shell to Sal's in 6 minutes - unless she ran the whole way. She is a runner, and a softball player, so she may well have done just that. There was an eyewitness putting her on 2nd street, which is why I took her route that way. Here is a Google map of that route, on foot: http://goo.gl/maps/4BmTZ

It's the British equivalent of the National Enquirer. Every now and again they get a story right, but mostly they sensationalize each story to soap opera proportions.

I am a prof and my students are certainly not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source! I do tell them it can be a good starting point to get an overview of an issue or person or topic but it doesn't count as any kind of evidence based source. Anyone can edit pages and while there are some checks and balances in place, there is frequently misinformation on pages. I have seen quite a few very inaccurate pages.

This link is how I feel as well... http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k70847&pageid=icb.page346376

Is it really? Just curious. My middle school children are not even allowed to use it as a source for their reports.

Agreed. OT I know but as far as sources go, um ... my kids' school will not allow Wikipedia. Can't readers "update" Wikipedia?

BBM. Is it really? Just curious. My middle school children are not even allowed to use it as a source for their reports.

Well, I am speaking from my experience. 10 years ago in my first graduate school, we could not use it. 2 years ago, in another graduate program it was encouraged!!!

As I said before, nothing progresses until the DA says so. The Chief's frustration with that is true of every police chief. LE do their jobs, cross their T's and dot their I's, they get their ducks in a row and want to forge full speed ahead. The DA are the speed bumps of the judicial system. It's not perfect, but it's accountability and ensures that the wheels of justice turn correctly. Albeit slowly.

Absolutely agree with you 100%, particularly with this case. Stick with the DA, folks.

I am not comparing the two...point being snobby professors balked and laughed at wikipedia 10 years ago....saw it first hand in my graduate program.

Yes, I was in school when they balked at Wikipedia as well. However, again, they are on two completely different levels. It has nothing to do with being snobby, and everything to do with the Daily Mail's own doings.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but an update sent from UVA to UVA students said "According to police reports, after leaving a party in a private residence in the area of 14th Street and Wertland Street, she walked north on 10th Street to Preston Avenue, east on Preston Avenue to Market Street, then south on Second Street to Charlottesville’s Downtown Mall"

Some info for the map people!

http://news.virginia.edu/content/important-messages-regarding-missing-university-student

If this time line is correct, then AmyElizabeth brings up an excellent point. She couldn't have made it from the Shell to Sal's in 6 minutes - unless she ran the whole way. She is a runner, and a softball player, so she may well have done just that. There was an eyewitness putting her on 2nd street, which is why I took her route that way. Here is a Google map of that route, on foot: http://goo.gl/maps/4BmTZ

She didn't. She was at the Shell station at 12:55, and on the Pedestrian Mall at 1:06, and she was jogging past the Shell station.

BBM. Is it really? Just curious. My middle school children are not even allowed to use it as a source for their reports.

Nooo for my kids from 5th grade to 10th as per teacher rules.

eta: Regarding using Wiki as a valid source.

He's bothered me a lot too and I wish I could remember the exact words Chief Longo used about him, but I swear I heard him say he was 'undercover'..... so maybe he was a narcotics LE?

Where did you hear that? That's the first I've heard anything about WG. Very curious if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay