VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I'm kind of getting PO'ed at what is going on here. 1200 volunteers helped search only in Charlottesville when all logic and past cases tell us that a body would not be found in the middle of a highly populated area. Why did the search stop after one day? Why one expand the area further out into the county until something is found? They need to be in remote areas, farmland, woods, lakes, etc. Not in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

I just don't get it. In other cases you hear about seeing search teams off the side of the road in the woods and such, I have not heard any of that here. Maybe it's just me tho.

There are large areas of woods around charlottesville. In the central Va area there are lots of horse and cattle farms, there is also lots and lots of pulpwood forest. iirc it was a clearing at a recently harvested farm where kevin quick was found. I am about 35 minutes from charlottesville, very rural area. There are just so many ares that she could be. Deer hunting starts on sept 27, I think she will be found after that. jmo idk

Me too. I'm kind of getting PO'ed at what is going on here. 1200 volunteers helped search only in Charlottesville when all logic and past cases tell us that a body would not be found in the middle of a highly populated area. Why did the search stop after one day? Why one expand the area further out into the county until something is found? They need to be in remote areas, farmland, woods, lakes, etc. Not in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

I just don't get it. In other cases you hear about seeing search teams off the side of the road in the woods and such, I have not heard any of that here. Maybe it's just me tho.
There seems to be tunnels under the university,
here's a report from 1996 about them apprehended some guy living in these tunnels

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996...nts-charlottesville-tunnels-virginia-students

The setting was the intertwining 5-mile network of steam tunnels that convey heat via steel pipes to buildings on campus.

A colorful, almost mythic history has sprung up around the 40-year-old utility tunnels, which are just below ground level on the university's Lawn and central campus......

But the predominantly male student body soon found a use for the tunnels, according to retired psychology professor Raymond C. Bice, now the university's official historian: More than a decade before women were admitted as undergraduates, lovestruck men found that one of the passages led to the basement of McKim Hall, which then contained dormitory rooms for nursing students

They were in remote areas, I saw searchers nearly 10 miles south of Cville, in rural areas.

I don't think Longo or LE ar focused on Hannah Graham at all. They are after bigger fish. They should have grabbed the whole lot of them at the apt and questioned them. There was a chance Hannah was still alive then, hurt, in a ditch, buit possibly alive. The focus was on the car, not on the videos. LE does not circulate things like this to public if valuable evidence. These are just bones they threw out for us to gnaw on. You can't see jack on those videos, there are mistakes all over the place about them even on national TV and no way you can id anyone definitely from just the video. All red herrings. They were not concerned that night about nabbing anyone who might have info about Hannah, just nabbing the car. They are all waiting on getting that car back.

The aggressiveness with which they've gone after JM with that wanted poster that has inflammatory info about OTHER crimes is a sign IMO that LE is not after Hannah's abductor as much as other things. I hope that if Hannah is found, she is still alive and that if she is not, she did not die while LE was more focused on the car than on people who might have info on her. THis has not been about Hannah for Longo for all of his choked up public emotion he is showing.

Ironic that on this forum, moderators have made a special effort to keep this all about Hannah but LE is not.

I hope the car has the info that Longo wants, but more important is whether it can lead to Hannah. There should have been some more overtures made to get info on her. I would be furious at LE if I were Hannah's parents. The focus of their investigation has not been about her.

Since day one I felt he was dealing.... But that's just MVOO.
the black rubber gloves
Maybe I watched to much breaking bad but they hang out places.....

Any info, news or investigation those attacks at all? Is UVA handling the cases?

I agree that the wanted poster is over the top, and I'd penalize LE for that if I could. Harshly too, and even if JM does turn out to be a serial perp. They should not be permitted to do this.

I will agree that putting out one with his SSN on it was a big mistake. I have a feeling that one was to be disseminated to LE Agencies only and got put out to the media accidentally, but regardless.... the wanted poster itself shouldn't be considered over the top...If HG was your daughter, sister, friend, etc..you would want them to do what ever possible to get as many people to see his photo as possible.

It's a tactic to help spread the word and his picture.

I never saw any urgency to talk to JM. They had him right there at his apartment. They were more interested in his car.

They had no cause to detain them, they tried to talk to him, but they cannot legally keep him there by force.

No one here knows what LE has or has not done. We only know what they have told us. All of this assuming and conjecturing is infuriating.

By the way I have to stay after being gone for 5 hours I truly expected to come back to at least two new threads, like usual. I'm surprised, I guess it has all gone quiet ...

It's to give people something to do. Keep them out of LE's hair. I don't get it either. It seems to me that LE is pretty sure that Hannah got into that orange car. She did not disappear "poof" at that mall. Scent ended, makes sense she was taken somewhere by vehicle. Any info as to where that car was that night or really ANY and ALL cars that left the area within a half hour of the last sighting of Hannah should be the focus,

I think LE has been extremely deceptive in the info they are giving out. More so than usual. giving the public true garbage to sift through. I just hope they are looking the right places. To this day, I think they missed out on catching Lauren Spierer's exodus from her neighborhood by not looking at traffic and other vehicle surveillance around where she was last reported to be scene. A video dragnet around that area should have been done and every car tracked that left there, not just he easy bait that wasn't even in the right place which is what happened. Too much focus on dead ends just because they were sitting ducks.

This is a missing persons case and the emphasis above all should have been to find Hannah because she might still be alive. Chances were better earlier and I did not see the effort I would have wanted had she been a loved one of mine--not the effort just as an uninvolved watcher.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1a46-428c-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

On Friday, police conducted a search of Matthew’s vehicle, a 1998 burnt orange Chrysler coupe, which was parked in front of his apartment. While police were there, an interaction with residents of the complex led police to seek a search warrant for Matthew’s apartment while he was inside, Pleasants said.

Business owners and people who frequent the mall said they are familiar with Matthew, a well-known and distinctive figure on the mall and within the area’s bar scene, with his big-barreled physique, goatee and dreadlocks.

Graham had been drinking with friends on the night of Sept. 12, and at some point after midnight she headed outside and apparently started walking in the wrong direction. She texted friends that she was disoriented, but she ultimately found her way to the downtown mall, which she recognized.
orange vehicle

So what drew their attention to this vehicle? I assume it was seen on camera in the area, or it was reported via a witness. They had the plate #. I know it was mentioned at the beginning, but not sure it was ever clarified. If they have video, it's not been released.

I hope they release the forensics results today!!

By the way I have to stay after being gone for 5 hours I truly expected to come back to at least two new threads, like usual. I'm surprised, I guess it has all gone quiet ...

No, it was just overnight here. It is only 8:20 am. ;)

It might be show boating and it might be over the top but that's how it became nationwide news. Chief Longo has everyone talking and that can only help find Hannah. That's what we all want.

Not only help Hannah, but possibly prevent another young teen being taken and murdered, if this is the guy who killed Hannah.

They were not doing much of anything whiile he was in their sights. They could not arrest him, could not even find a way to get info out of him. They STILL do NOT over Hannah's disappearance. Right now all they have on him is reckless driving and they are using that to the hilt. I doubt they've ever gone that heavy on a reckless driving charge before but right now it's all they have. I think the poster is inapporpriate bringing in other inflammatory infor. HE is not wanted as of yet for Hannah, much less other cases. I hope LE gets hit hard for inappropriateness of the that poster including SSN, and I hope some consumer group goes after all LE that is not taking special care NOT to releae that info on all but escaped convicted felons. It's ridiculous they are flagrently doing this illegally on an "oops" clause to be allowed. LE needs to stick by the rules.

On the other hand, that they could not come up with a way to get info out of JM about Hannah is appalling. LE should have made more effort on that the night they took his car. Hannah migh have still been alive then--chances diminish by the minute,. That they could not try to get some info out of those guys instead of just seizing the car is terrilble. Unless of course, there is more info that is not being shared. Those guys at the apt should have been followed and watched by LE after that car was seized and apt searched. For sure, JM had info on Hannah, if he is indeed the guy on that video.

As an LEO I have to say that all of this blaming on LE is ridiculous. No doubt they will review and be reviewed for how they handle this case, but unless YOU have ever been in the situation they are in.... give them credit that they are working around the clock to find Hannah. Just because they did not tell YOU that they have tried to talk to JM numerous times, including when they went to search his car and apartment, DOESN'T mean it didn't happen. Obviously Longo said they DID talk to him and that they wanted to talk to him AGAIN.

I've been in LE 15+ years and praise the CPD for their efforts and hardwork. As upset, frustrated and affected as we get as we sit by our laptops and keyboards, and how hard it is for us to know HG is still missing... IMAGINE working this case, little sleep, seeing the pain on HG's parents faces, the frustration of lab processing taking time... Of course we would all handle the case different in some way or another as we all have our own opinions and ways of looking at things, but each and every officer that has assisted with this case carries this case personally and it's not "just a job" for them... so let's give them the credit they deserve and stop bashing them constantly.

The focus of the investigation isn't about her ?!?!

They just had 1500 people out searching for her all weekend !!

How is that "not about her" ??

Clock is ticking. You find the person who owns the car that is of such interest that one can get a search warrent for it. Fits with the video footage, and you are not clever enough to keep him under wraps and convince him to talk when a young woman might still be aliver. Instead you ignore him and find him and roommates gone, when you turn around. They knew that car did not have Hannah in it at the moment. Car wasn't going anywhere. The focus should have been any and everything to get info about Hannah right then, where she was.

The bulk of the searches are right around Charlotteville where I believe is the last place they will find Hannah. I think they are just giving 1500 something to do and placate the parents and loved ones. Same with that video. Something else going on here, and Longo had better be right since he has sacrificed focus on finding Hannah for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504