VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an LEO I have to say that all of this blaming on LE is ridiculous. No doubt they will review and be reviewed for how they handle this case, but unless YOU have ever been in the situation they are in.... give them credit that they are working around the clock to find Hannah. Just because they did not tell YOU that they have tried to talk to JM numerous times, including when they went to search his car and apartment, DOESN'T mean it didn't happen. Obviously Longo said they DID talk to him and that they wanted to talk to him AGAIN.

I've been in LE 15+ years and praise the CPD for their efforts and hardwork. As upset, frustrated and affected as we get as we sit by our laptops and keyboards, and how hard it is for us to know HG is still missing... IMAGINE working this case, little sleep, seeing the pain on HG's parents faces, the frustration of lab processing taking time... Of course we would all handle the case different in some way or another as we all have our own opinions and ways of looking at things, but each and every officer that has assisted with this case carries this case personally and it's not "just a job" for them... so let's give them the credit they deserve and stop bashing them constantly.

Thank you so much, this is exactly how I feel and I am not LE at all. WAY too much conjecture on this board...accusing and blaming and anger....when no one knows all the facts. I could hug you Bogart64...thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently.

There seems to be tunnels under the university,
here's a report from 1996 about them apprehended some guy living in these tunnels

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996...nts-charlottesville-tunnels-virginia-students
But the predominantly male student body soon found a use for the tunnels, according to retired psychology professor Raymond C. Bice, now the university's official historian: More than a decade before women were admitted as undergraduates, lovestruck men found that one of the passages led to the basement of McKim Hall, which then contained dormitory rooms for nursing students

"lovestruck" -- is that what they used to call it? ;-)

I don't think Longo or LE ar focused on Hannah Graham at all. They are after bigger fish. They should have grabbed the whole lot of them at the apt and questioned them. There was a chance Hannah was still alive then, hurt, in a ditch, buit possibly alive. The focus was on the car, not on the videos. LE does not circulate things like this to public if valuable evidence. These are just bones they threw out for us to gnaw on. You can't see jack on those videos, there are mistakes all over the place about them even on national TV and no way you can id anyone definitely from just the video. All red herrings. They were not concerned that night about nabbing anyone who might have info about Hannah, just nabbing the car. They are all waiting on getting that car back.

The aggressiveness with which they've gone after JM with that wanted poster that has inflammatory info about OTHER crimes is a sign IMO that LE is not after Hannah's abductor as much as other things. I hope that if Hannah is found, she is still alive and that if she is not, she did not die while LE was more focused on the car than on people who might have info on her. THis has not been about Hannah for Longo for all of his choked up public emotion he is showing.

Ironic that on this forum, moderators have made a special effort to keep this all about Hannah but LE is not.

I hope the car has the info that Longo wants, but more important is whether it can lead to Hannah. There should have been some more overtures made to get info on her. I would be furious at LE if I were Hannah's parents. The focus of their investigation has not been about her.

You must be joking right?

You are blaming LE way too much

It is only like 10 days since the case began. These things can take time

LE is not going to tell the public every piece of info they have while the case is open because it can compromise the case. So far they have mainly reached out to the public looking for eye witnesses

By the way I have to stay after being gone for 5 hours I truly expected to come back to at least two new threads, like usual. I'm surprised, I guess it has all gone quiet ...

I went to sleep last night when we were on thread 9. I still don't stand a chance of catching up.... work is so inconvenient. :(

Me too. I'm kind of getting PO'ed at what is going on here. 1200 volunteers helped search only in Charlottesville when all logic and past cases tell us that a body would not be found in the middle of a highly populated area. Why did the search stop after one day? Why one expand the area further out into the county until something is found? They need to be in remote areas, farmland, woods, lakes, etc. Not in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

I just don't get it. In other cases you hear about seeing search teams off the side of the road in the woods and such, I have not heard any of that here. Maybe it's just me tho.

IMO, the massive search in town was probably mainly to cover the possibility that HG got lost, injured, debilitated. Really a due diligence, check the box thing...

I'm sure there have been more targeted searches as well - in fact I think the searches we saw yesterday on JPA are an example. I don't have links for it, but local gossip has been that they've already searched the spot where MH's remains were found and that they've had dog teams out south of C'ville on several occasions as well.

As far as extending the massive search out from town, I'm not sure you appreciate how LARGE an area it is... It would truly be a needle-in-a-haystack search. The search of the city (relatively small, confined area) is (relatively) easy. It would take thousands of volunteers weeks or even months (or longer even) to scour even just Albemarle county, the county immediately surrounding C'ville. And the further from town you get, the more area you have to cover... Wooded, hilly, ponds, lakes, rivers. Sadly, short of asking property owners to check their fields and following up on concrete leads (like cell phone pings) there's not really much that can be done when a body could be ANYWHERE.

I'm sure Hannah's friends have spoken to LE. My guess is they had their family lawyers with them and they are smart enough to stay out of the media.

Actually I don't think u bring a lawyer into this unless LE starts asking u questions U have trouble answering.
JMO

It's to give people something to do. Keep them out of LE's hair. I don't get it either. It seems to me that LE is pretty sure that Hannah got into that orange car. She did not disappear "poof" at that mall. Scent ended, makes sense she was taken somewhere by vehicle. Any info as to where that car was that night or really ANY and ALL cars that left the area within a half hour of the last sighting of Hannah should be the focus,

I think LE has been extremely deceptive in the info they are giving out. More so than usual. giving the public true garbage to sift through. I just hope they are looking the right places. To this day, I think they missed out on catching Lauren Spierer's exodus from her neighborhood by not looking at traffic and other vehicle surveillance around where she was last reported to be scene. A video dragnet around that area should have been done and every car tracked that left there, not just he easy bait that wasn't even in the right place which is what happened. Too much focus on dead ends just because they were sitting ducks.

This is a missing persons case and the emphasis above all should have been to find Hannah because she might still be alive. Chances were better earlier and I did not see the effort I would have wanted had she been a loved one of mine--not the effort just as an uninvolved watcher.

BBM

NOT directed at this post, but at the bolded part about EFFORT

For anyone who thinks that LE has tunnel vision:

Please go to the Find Hannah FB page and read the post by EJ that is a screen shot of her text messages from her own mother who is LE working on this case. The LE mom has just worked a 29 hour shift, followed by a 15 hour shift and a few hours later is back at work again. She tells her daughter that they are ALL working so hard as if it were their own child because that's what they would want done if it WAS their own child. They are not working those kinds of hours and showing "no effort"......they are not working those kind of hours and having "tunnel vision" regarding JM....tunnel vision doesn't take that kind of time!

stating that JM last seen Sunday and have not heard or seen him since then....

Capt says that JM gave the PD a list of attorneys he was interested in and asked the police to call the attorneys for him. The first one they called came to the PD HQ and JM and attorney spoke and then they left without answering any questions.

Came in with his Mother and Uncle...they left and went to his grandmother's house. Officer vehicles clearly in view (FBI and State Police) at grandmother's house... he and his mother got into a vehicle and drove off recklessly. They backed off because of how reckless he was driving for the safety of everyone involved.

Capt confirms that they found the items they were looking for yesterday and that they are at the lab today.

Fresh dirt inside the vehicle and on the tires... was mentioned.

The only reason his race raises eyebrows for me is that he happens to be of the same race as the suspect identified by DNA in another C'ville case, which I won't bring up here, per the mods' request.

Otherwise, I don't care if he's black, white, purple, rainbow, or glow in the dark.

This is about finding Hannah & bringing anyone who harmed her to justice. This is what it's always been about for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might not care if he is black. I don't care if he is black. But statistically speaking HE should care that he is black if he wants to be treated fairly by law enforcement and the media. Sometimes the truth hurts and the truth is innocent black men fare far worse in the judicial system compared to innocent white men.

If he is innocent, his actions would make sense to me. If he is guilty it looks like he is an a-hole.

I didn't see this article posted yet, but I haven't read through this entire thread. From this morning's Charlottesville paper, it gives more detail regarding the circumstances surrounding the reckless driving charges. http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_a6e6c8e0-42c3-11e4-8295-001a4bcf6878.html

Matthew showed up at the station with his mother and an uncle, asked for a lawyer, then left within the hour after speaking with an attorney, Pleasants said.
“He got in the vehicle and drove away recklessly from the state police and FBI agents who were watching him,” Pleasants said.
State police obtained two misdemeanor reckless driving warrants for Matthew on Saturday, one for the act and another for endangering the life of his mother, who was in the passenger’s seat, Pleasants said.

Matthew’s car has not been returned to him since police seized it. Pleasants said he was unsure whose car Matthew drove to the police station.
By Sunday evening, he had swapped vehicles and likely was driving his sister’s sedan, with the state license plate number, C4575, according to a release. Authorities would not elaborate.

Since Longo basically said he believes JM is the last person Hannah saw before she disappeared...face of earth...etc...(which TO ME says he believes JM killed Hannah or made her vanish) why would he think JM would sit down to chat? I sure wouldn't. Well maybe I would sit next to my lawyer while he/she tells LE I won't be answering his questions, but that is about it. It is a joke to think LE just wants to talk to him, Imo. They want a statement they can hopefully disprove, Imo.

We have no way of knowing what he told them on Friday. Maybe he just confirmed his identity. Or maybe he said she was never in his car. That could come back to haunt him, if so. But Imo that was their chance to try to have more of a conversation, before he felt "zeroed in on" even more as weekend unfolded. I still do not understand why he could not be detained,yet warrants were flying even at that moment to give access to his car, phone and home.

Jmo

stating that JM last seen Sunday and have not heard or seen him since then....

Capt says that JM gave the PD a list of attorneys he was interested in and asked the police to call the attorneys for him. The first one they called came to the PD HQ and JM and attorney spoke and then they left without answering any questions.

Came in with his Mother and Uncle...they left and went to his grandmother's house. Officer vehicles clearly in view (FBI and State Police) at grandmother's house... he and his mother got into a vehicle and drove off recklessly. They backed off because of how reckless he was driving for the safety of everyone involved.

Capt confirms that they found the items they were looking for yesterday and that they are at the lab today.

Fresh dirt inside the vehicle and on the tires... was mentioned.

hi bogart. Is this info from a presser, tv show, newspaper? tia

2 facts by CPD on FOXNEWS Jesse Matthew brought in a list of attorneys .
Unmarked law enforcement cars were used to follow Matthew. Also disclosed CPD
were looking for dirt on the tires and inside his car.

The only reason his race raises eyebrows for me is that he happens to be of the same race as the suspect identified by DNA in another C'ville case, which I won't bring up here, per the mods' request.

Otherwise, I don't care if he's black, white, purple, rainbow, or glow in the dark.

This is about finding Hannah & bringing anyone who harmed her to justice. This is what it's always been about for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Serial Killers are WHITE guys!

I went to sleep last night when we were on thread 9. I still don't stand a chance of catching up.... work is so inconvenient. :(

The only way I have kept up the for last 24 hours was by not sleeping, literally! It is sleep time here in Aus when Charlottesville start their new day, meaning if I don't stay up til 5am my time I miss all of the breaking news in the case and the press conference if they have one and it's impossible to play catch up.

Speaking of that, any news yet of a PC happening there today?

orange vehicle

So what drew their attention to this vehicle? I assume it was seen on camera in the area, or it was reported via a witness. They had the plate #. I know it was mentioned at the beginning, but not sure it was ever clarified. If they have video, it's not been released.

We have virtually no info as to why the car was targeted. Some mention that it was seen on some video but I can't find any video with it on there. The vocus has been more on the car than on the owner. FOr some reason the LE are really putting a lot of bets on forensics they can get from that car. Whatever the attention and focus is with this car, I hope it pans out. At this point JM isn't going to say squat when they get him in custody. I hope they truly tried to sweet talk him, get some info out of him about Hannah and got something because if he knows anything, it's unlikely to come out after all that has happened.

Lots of pictures of the car, very specific ones, but no info on what drew attention to it. Why that car over all of the ones parked near that area where Hannah was last seen. On what grounds did they get that warrent? What does one need to get a warrent to search someone's car?

The apartment search supposed was due to a remark from someone there, and my guess would be it would be the comment that JM was with a white girl recently there But from the info the descrip does not fit Hannah other than skin color. Hannah's height and build are distinctive.

But what is it about car that can get a search warrent? The car but not the owner could be seized.

There seems to be tunnels under the university,
here's a report from 1996 about them apprehended some guy living in these tunnels

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996...nts-charlottesville-tunnels-virginia-students

The setting was the intertwining 5-mile network of steam tunnels that convey heat via steel pipes to buildings on campus.

A colorful, almost mythic history has sprung up around the 40-year-old utility tunnels, which are just below ground level on the university's Lawn and central campus......

But the predominantly male student body soon found a use for the tunnels, according to retired psychology professor Raymond C. Bice, now the university's official historian: More than a decade before women were admitted as undergraduates, lovestruck men found that one of the passages led to the basement of McKim Hall, which then contained dormitory rooms for nursing students

Tunnels have been locked down for years. Liability and all. Sure some determined enough could gain access - but that's true about anywhere.

Raymond Bice: Best. Lecturer. Ever. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico