VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #14 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if presser is 7pm there what's that uk time if I'm 11pm now?

It's at midnight.

Anyone know where us Brits can see it? I tried a couple of links last night, no joy, you guys did a great job of keeping me up to date though!

So if presser is 7pm there what's that uk time if I'm 11pm now?

Bless your heart ... you may need to start taking naps to prepare for our 7pm pc's and all the discussion that follows!! :)

To locals: Is there manhunt kind of activity going on for JLM? Like roadstops and lots of LE activity? Very hard to derive from mainstream media, notwithstanding the wanted poster and warrants. I hope this is an appropriate question.

Quote Originally Posted by CHERIE.T View Post
RESPECTFULLY, who said race was a factor?

Gitana
answered
The moment the POI was identified, there were repeated, numerous posts about how he may have been focused on, over suspicious WG, due to this race, and how his behavior in not coming forward or speaking with police was due to his race. There are at least five threads filled with posts discussing this.

Gitana, I've read every thread..all 14 of them THANKS.
Not sure if you are being snarky or not but I've seen very little race discussion on these threads. And guess what? WG wasn't the last person Hannah was seen with, JM was.......color didnt have a thing to do with it/

Ack! I am trying to catch up! This is quoted from the last thread:

"Quote Originally Posted by LI-Mom View Post
I could swear at one of the pressers a reporter asked if there was video of Hannah leaving in JM's car and the other guy, not Longo, said something along the lines of "I can't comment on that." All I know is that I got the impression they had something putting her in the car but they weren't saying. Maybe it wasn't video, maybe it was only eyewitnesses, but they skirted the issue like many others."

I've seen this question asked a couple times and I've never seen a good answer so I tracked it down because I remembered it. On this video, 24.24.

Reporter asks: Do you have video surveillance of her getting into his car?
Longo: Jim, is that something you're willing to share?
Jim: I'm not going to talk at all about the vehicle and what we know, but we do have them together after they left Tempo restaurant. So he is still with her at that time.

bbm I found this.

Matthew was spotted by eyewitnesses walking with Graham out of a bar on the Downtown Mall early Sept. 13, police have said.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/abducti...cle_c76690e9-af23-5ac7-9f23-a482e41a4151.html

Makes me think it was witness/es that saw them after leaving tempo. jmo idk

It's at midnight.

Anyone know where us Brits can see it? I tried a couple of links last night, no joy, you guys did a great job of keeping me up to date though!

i don't know lots of media sites are weird about that I know in the past when I've tried to watch stuff out of the UK it won't let me gives some "not available in your country message"

To locals: Is there manhunt kind of activity going on for JLM? Like roadstops and lots of LE activity? Very hard to derive from mainstream media, notwithstanding the wanted poster and warrants. I hope this is an appropriate question.
It's a great question. Wish I did have an answer for you

I was just sitting here reading from this Coy Barefoot (redneck, anyone!?) thinking the very same thing! I remember that guy (Keith??) was very fond of crying.

Careful who you call a redneck. Lol. Some of us might qualify. :giggle:

ETA: No offense was taken.

if LE found hannah + that's what the presser is about, would we know by now?

The charges only indicate what LE thinks happened. A lot of people have speculated that this is just a charge that they can later update, but who knows.

Longo is smarter than your average PC. Remember, he has a law degree. I find his comments to be especially well curated, and very deliberate.

Here is something I discovered immediately following last night's press conference. I registered on WS just so I could share this. It came up when I Googled "define attempt to defile" and is quoted from the text of a book entitled Virginia Criminal Law and Procedure by John L. Costello (sourced from LexisNexis, Jun 18, 2014), described as follows:

This latest edition of Virginia Criminal Law and Procedure is the definitive authority on criminal law in the Commonwealth of Virginia, offering comprehensive coverage of substantive crimes, plus the procedural, constitutional, and ethical issues involved in criminal practice. Expert author John L. Costello discusses problems encountered in pretrial, trial, and appellate practice -- offering valuable guidance at each stage. From arrest to appeal, Virginia Criminal Law and Procedure is the practice manual criminal lawyers in Virginia can't afford to be without.

Although I have missed several pages of this WS thread today, this is a different section of the Virginia code than the one I have seen most frequently referred to here on WS. Here's some language from section 7.3(1) and 7.3(2). I am not an attorney (although I am married to one) so perhaps some WS lawyers could offer better feedback on this that goes beyond my interpretations. Here's what I found very helpful in understanding the charges announced by Longo at yesterday's PC (italics are original to the text; bolded words are mine):

Section 7.3 Related Offenses.

[1] Abductions with Specific Intent.

Abductions for pecuniary benefit, abductions with intent to defile and abductions of any female under the age of 16 for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution are Class 2 felonies, pursuant to Va. Code section 18.2-48. In addition, using another as a shield to escape pursuit after a robbery is an abduction for pecuniary benefit. The intent to defile must be established as a matter of fact; surmise and speculation "are not sufficient." Defile means the same as sexually molest.

Note that an abduction with intent to extort will be a completed offense when the kidnapping has occurred even though extortion itself must succeed to be a completed offense.

[2] Attempted Rape Not Lesser Included.

Given that the term "intent to defile" includes all sexual molestations of any person of either sex, should not an intent to rape satisfy the mental element of abduction with intent to defile? If the intent to rape satisfies that requirement (and it does), can we then say that attempted rape is a lesser included offense of abduction with intent to defile? This inquiry matters because abduction is a Class 2 felony, but attempted rape is only a Class 4 felony. So an accused charged only with abduction with intent to defile may well want an instruction about the lower ranked felony of attempted rape.

The Virginia Court of Appeals, in Simms v. Commonwealth, affirmed a trial judge's refusal to give an instruction on attempted rape under such circumstances. The court said that attempted rape was not necessarily included in the abduction with intent charge because defilement includes many acts different from sexual intercourse specified by a charge of attempted rape. There are many acts of physical abuse which will not amount to attempted rape but which will satisfy the force or coercion needed to convict for abduction. Similarly, there are acts which would constitute attempted rape but not abduction, under the "incidental acts" analysis in section 7.2. Moreover, attempted rape in Virginia also requires the "commencement of the consummation," an act or condition which may be well beyond the mere hope or vague intent which will aggravate the abduction charge. Therefore, even though the evidence might tend to show both attempted rape and abduction, the attempted rape is not necessarily a lesser included in abduction. The Simms court reached the correct result; that is, Denial of an instruction on an uncharged offense.

[3] Relation of General and Specific Intent Offenses.

The general abductions defined in section 7.1 of this Treatise are lesser included within the group of specific intent offenses described in section 7.3[1]. As noted, the latter group consists of general abductions performed for a stated purpose. The possibility of a life sentence rather than 1 to 10 years turns on proof of one of the specific intents (purposes) stated.

[4] Threats, Attempts and Assisting in Abductions.

Va Code section 18.2-49 is notable for two reasons. It provides specific punishments for attempting or assisting in abductions, whereas the pattern with most offenses is to allow the general rules about culpability of principals and attempters to prevail. More remarkable is the proscription of threats to abduct for any of the three reasons stated, extortion, defilement or prostitution.

All of those acts (attempting, assisting or threatening) are Class 5 felonies. That is a big difference from the punishment of other attempts which tend to follow the levels set for substantive offenses. On the other hand, the threat to abduct is designated as more serious than a solicitation to abduct, solicitation being a Class 6 felony.

I have complete confidence in Longo. If my daughter (who also went to UVA) was the victim of a sexual crime, I would certainly want Longo on the case.

Here's the link that I used to get the Virginia Code sections I quoted in this post. (Note to Mod: The book that I quoted from has 1446 pages, so what I am extracting is well within the 10% limitation you so helpfully mentioned recently.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=zs...#v=onepage&q=define attempt to defile&f=false

Another news Conference soon. News 4 Washington said in about an hour. So, 7:00 PM maybe.

Possession of stolen property was inspection sticker; not prosecuted. Probably dropped when he obtained a current sticker.

Its not current now.Someone posted a closeup pic of the windshield and in October it will be 5 months out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni