VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #14 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us with loved ones in the military find the Syria/Iraq news important.

As do I. My point was that the Brits may not see the presser on CNN for that reason. Sorry if I sounded callous. I care very much and pay attention to it all day. As well as UN activity. Hope that most posters are paying attention too. JMO

The first guy who came forward may have seen him force hr in the car. The police are not going to release that for fear of retaliation against that guy.
But if that's true, first guy would have called 911 right away wouldn't he?..I would hope at least.

Generally, if a body is found in a really remote location, we may not hear about it until a press conference. We usually hear about bodies being found because someone in the area tips off the media, or it is impossible to hide the police presence.

agree since the body location is part of a crime scene and has to be processed its usually such a major commotion its hard to keep it under wraps. LE might not confirm but there is usually at least the knowledge that *something* is going on.

Caveat - the about applies to cases that are hot in the media. After a case has gone cold (like years later) they could easily find the body with ppl hearing about it.

His tone has definitely changed as well. Earlier he seemed to be trying to inspire people to help her, now he sounds very solemn.

i wonder if he's also been monitoring public reactions to his previous pressers and thought he should tone it down if he wanted to keep the public on his side. he's also probably utterly exhausted.

No it is not. An attorney is an officer of the court.

An attorney cannot tell his client to disobey or flee a warrant but he or she CANNOT disclose the whereabouts of the client disclosed in confidence, without permission form the client.

There is a pretty big difference between not disclosing a fugitive's location (in the absence of knowledge of a crime about to be committed) and telling a client not to comply with a warrant.

Yes, but that's not what the poster was discussing which I responded to:

In Virginia, yes, an attorney may maintain representation of a fugitive client and must not disclose where the client is. In other states, the rules can be different. Some places you have to say, some places you have to stop representation. It's a balance between client confidentiality and attorney obligations to the functions of the judicial process (allowing your client to be a fleeing felon). In other states, there is more leverage for the attorney to be able to get the client to turn themselves in. Obviously JM does not have much interest in the attorney's advice, which has to have been to lay low and would be to turn himself in.

My guess of what brought about the newer charges -- pubic hairs matching HG in the trunk. That would support those charges without her person being found. Wearing pants, not likely transferred by a hug. No knowledge, just a guess.

The nursing student lady needs to call the tipline for this. If he had a practice of making such offers, perhaps someone took him up and perhaps (given that he had roommates) would know what back country lane he liked for romance. And that would be a likely dump spot. If this is a "something gone wrong" scenario, the dump spot is someplace that would pop into his mind quickly and that he knows. If it were someplace he googled with his computer, LE would be there already. So anything anyone knows about rural places that he has hung out at has helpful information.

BBM.

I can't transcribe presser live, but will try to summarise after (I work online, and I'm on duty tonight; have 2 screens up, and work on my earphones :( )

i wonder if he's also been monitoring public reactions to his previous pressers and thought he should tone it down if he wanted to keep the public on his side. he's also probably utterly exhausted.

Much of the public is "on his side". I have zero criticisms. He seems to be doing a good job. How the public feels is secondary to the job of finding Hannah and keeping the community safe.

BBM

Why do people think JM is of low intelligence? Didn't he attend college?

jmo

Yes, JM attended college and he was fully employed as a tech/orderly at UVA Medical center. Also assisted with coaching at a private school. Has Gitana brought up in one of the threads, he's hardly someone backward.

However, he was a careless person as his arrest record, his DMV record, public record of garnishments, the way he kept his car, apparently did not pay his rent steadily. The way he reacted that brought on the reckless driving charge, the asssault charge that was dropped was brought by someone interviewed, and JM apparently can lose it and cross the line of propriety.

Still, he seems to me to be typical of many young adults these days. My brother was a recruiter for the Army for a few years and he was shocked at the % of waivers he had to get for young people due to things like that.

But JM did seem like someone used to interacting with all kinds of people, given that he did attend college away from home and worked where he did, dealt with folks with kids at a private school.

Looks like he crossed the line here. Scary, that someone would do this. Do this after being seen with the victim at a restaraunt. Evil, yes, if he did this, but also not smart, knowing that he was seen with Hannah. Also , he was probably just told by an attorney to lie low and stay out of trouble when he handed LE the reckless driving charge to get his face on a wanted poster. Pretty stupid IMO.

FOr all any of us know, yes, he could have done things like this before. When he is brought into custody, those cases that have DNA in the files will be have his DNA to be crosschecked for matches.

Major announcement : first batch of evidence is back from testing

BBM
I missed that part of the tweet. I'm not a member of twitter. Is it possible that I missed reading that due to not having a membership?

(OT : I was quite chuffed on Sunday to get the Women's Rugby World Cup ;) LOL (Even bookmarked the station for future reference 'cos it WASN'T football!)

o/t Rugby is football for me. I have a wide definition of what falls under that label :pac:

I worry what this pc will reveal. I hope it reveals something though. I can't imagine what her family are going through. My thoughts are with them.

Much of the public is "on his side". I have zero criticisms. He seems to be doing a good job. How the public feels is secondary to the job of finding Hannah and keeping the community safe.

uh, obviously it's secondary. but still, he's clearly interested in having the public be heavily invested here, and i'm sure he wants to project a certain image to maintain that investment.

i would add to that apprehending the perpetrator and insuring its done in a way that is likely to get a conviction.

Not what I mean. I wonder if Police & FBI think Harrington & Graham are victims of same killer.Cuz I'll tell you right now that Jesse Matthew is not responsible for Morgan Harrington. He's not sophisticated enough.

Whoever abducted Morgan is a text book serial killer:

Killer wanted the body to be found. He left Morgan in an open field when there were plenty of trees around to conceal her under.
Killer took momentos to relive the event. The Pantera t-shirt and a necklace.
Killer followed case and planted Morgan's t-shirt to throw off and/or toy with police.

If Police & FBI think Hannah & Morgan are related, then they know they have a much bigger problem than Jesse Matthew.

And, how would you know. The person that killed Morgan & a rape in Fairfax county ..the person has the same DNA & that was a very sloppy rape. He was a stupid criminal so that doesn't make any sense & he did both. So these criminals even serial criminals are not that sharp...example Dennis Radar just didn't put an alert to the cops. I'm sure the police will do a great job finding out if the POI is any way related.

Gitana, how long does a person have to turn themselves in for an arrest warrant before the failure to surrender themselves becomes a crime in itself?

Thanks for any input. :0)

An attorney cannot tell his client to disobey or flee a warrant but he or she CANNOT disclose the whereabouts of the client disclosed in confidence, without permission form the client.

Yes, but that's not what the poster was discussing which I responded to:

BBM.
Gitana, I'm a Virginia attorney and posted later with attorney training from Virginia Bar. If you look up, other states have different rules. Which I know of because I used to be barred in other states. Which had different rules. Eg michigan: http://www.michbar.org/opinions/ethics/numbered_opinions/ri-160.cfm

Not necessarily. The public didn't find out Erin Corwin's body was found until the police told us.

jmo

Did they announce it in a PC? I followed closely and lost track shortly before they found her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV