VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this forum for a few days and am now wondering if Katelin was in the habit of using pre-boarding options such as self-check in or printing boarding passes ? If so -did she take those steps for the return flight ? An odd question I know but if she usually took these actions, it may indicate her intention to fly or not.

If she didn't fly/travel often or is more of a "just show up" traveler then I guess this would not be relevant but it crossed my mind. I just flew Frontier last week and they sent numerous emails encouraging pre-flight steps including check-in and registering bags. These emails contained links to help with those processes from mobile devices. Even as a younger traveler, I tried to complete as much of the process prior to arriving to the airport so again I was thinking that if Katelin took action to do the same -her intent of flying that day may be more solid.

I am truly thinking that whatever happened to stop Katelin from flying - happened prior to being driven to the mall or airport otherwise wouldnt a camera at one of those two places capture her?

My original thought on the texts was that the second text could have been sent by someone reading through prior texts but was someone who didn't realize how far she was traveling. Not realizing the flight would be long, the person figured sending Amber a text would be a good way to delay the police getting involved immediately assuming it was a short flight.

But now.....I think the texts were sent in a panic to buy a day or so by someone who knew they would really need time to cover up and it was not thought through properly. I think something unexpected happened and everything afterwards was done while in panic mode .

Did I read correctly that cash was in the discarded bag?

Yes, not a lot I heard, but her bank card was there as well.

I read on Dateline's FB page (by a commenter) that one of Katelin's friends on FB was recently killed and LE did not think it was a random act. The Link to that story below. I am not suggesting these two cases are related because it probably would have been mentioned if those close to the case saw a connection.

I have not read every post so if this is repetitive -apologies .

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/47841434-story

I read on Dateline's FB page (by a commenter) that one of Katelin's friends on FB was recently killed and LE did not think it was a random act. The Link to that story below. I am not suggesting these two cases are related because it probably would have been mentioned if those close to the case saw a connection.

Interesting. Thanks. What a sweet looking handsome kid. How tragic!

Just got all caught up!
(respectfully snipped for space)
I feel so bad when I know family is reading because our theories and speculation seems so cold, the intentions are well though and I pray for Katelin and her fiance/family. I hope the theory I lean towards is wrong.

Excellent post, jbelle. The thanks button didn't seem like enough. I agree with everything you say.

Interesting...What is going on in VA? I added the location of Zachary's murder to the map. I think it's worth keeping on the radar. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kpkgKIYWcTLo&usp=sharing

Edit to add: Two men have been arrested for Zachary's murder. http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_8c6a2e20-8eea-11e5-b40f-038245732c1d.html

Interesting...What is going on in VA? I added the location of Zachary's murder to the map. I think it's worth keeping on the radar. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kpkgKIYWcTLo&usp=sharing

Edit to add: Two men have been arrested for Zachary's murder. http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_8c6a2e20-8eea-11e5-b40f-038245732c1d.html

Yes it says they think drug deal gone wrong and this was a month prior so I don't think there would be a connection jmo

Are there any tolls around there that use Easy Pass that SD could have been traced through. And hey what not actually drive the route you would take in order to try to make a believable alibi but maybe Katelin never made it in the car or maybe was and was incapacitated or in a trunk with her luggage.
Sorry it's EZpass
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, there are HOT lanes from Gainsville to Edsel Road in Alexandria. The issue is, we'd have to know what time exactly they would have been used as the two lanes reverse directions according to rush hour traffic.

Agree. Le would have mentioned the time of mall if they wanted people to come forward and say I seen her after the supposed drop off.

Where's wavy kid when you need him.

Lololol - that's a great first thing to read. Thanks for the laugh this morning!

But at the very start, when it FIRST was figured out that she did not fly home---were people online pointing blame?

I guess not.

Wouldn't he want to get to the bottom of things right from the jump?

I suppose .

It does not matter if they had close relationship or not with each other. Isn't everyone sharing the same goal of finding out if she is Okay?

Yes.

But what if he is an OLD man with ailments and stuff, and he can't go out and search like others are doing?

Maybe he still uses a flip phone, and has no internet. You think at this point; reporters would be camping in his front yard with tents and Gator Aid.

Are they?

One thing that has crossed my mind is: SD may have told LE something he new or saw when dropping KA off, and LE could have told him not to speak about it with media and others.

Something I would like to hammer home here is the fact that this has been one of the more tougher cases we've had in a while here at WS, and I know all of us have been WORKING OUR FINGERS TO THE BONE trying to solve it.

Things have gotten a little HEATED here at times, and I am probably one of the first to BLOW UP and break down. So I backed off a bit ( had a few drinks), and nibbled on some cold cases.

One thing for certain is: "If we keep our HEADS together, and stay COOL we will solve this. "

So I'd like to do a recap of what we do know. So please feel free to jump in and correct me when I'm wrong.

On Saturday 12/05/15, about 10AM, KA's mom dropped her at SD's place and went to work.

SD said he took KA to the Springfield Mall at her request, and dropped her off. According to news reports, this part of the mall has no cameras. I'm Guessing this would be around 3PM.

Question? ( if KA met with someone(s) in the mall parking lot is it possible someone(s) chose a location knowing there would be no cameras?)

So, about 5 or 6PM, mom gets a text from KA's phone. Saying: "I'm on plane" or something like that. ( I'm unclear if mom texted back saying: "ok".

Then, around 12AM, Amber gets a text from KA's phone saying: "something's came up. I have to catch a later flight." (So Amber tries to call KA and gets voicemail?)

Then Amber calls KA's mom. I'm assuming she finds out about the text mom got. Then worry starts.

So all day Sunday, no one hears from KA, and her phone is unreachable. (Just goes to voicemail).

On Monday morning KA's luggage is found in a drainage ditch 45 miles or so back towards her home on the side of River Rd. Where SOME CLOTHES ARE MISSING. ( one thing unclear to me. Some reports say the contents of the luggage was scattered about) So I'm not sure at this point if the suitcase was laying in the ditch all zipped up or if it was open and the contents was scattered up and down the roadway?

Also it was said: clothes were missing, and KA's old glasses, some cash, a phone charger, and a bank card were found inside the case.

One poster, I believe by the name of monster, suggested that the luggage could have been set on top of a vehicle, and blew off while the vehicle was moving down the road. ( I think it's possible.)

This is what we have so far folks, but if I missed something let me know.

<modsnip>

Amber got the text about the change of plans at the same time (different time zone) as Kaitlin's mother got the text about arriving at the airport.

Amber got the text about the change of plans at the same time (different time zone) as Kaitlin's mother got the text about arriving at the airport.

Ha! Thank you for that. So they both got a text around 6pm Eastern time?

Ha! Thank you for that. So they both got a text around 6pm
I understood they both got the text at 2 PM but I'm not sure which time zone. Yesterday sleuthers were using 2 PM Eastern.

Ibiz :seeya: Some things in your timeline are a bit off.

On Sat 12/5
-We don't know what time her mom dropped her off at SD's.
-Her fiancee received a "normal" text from her at 12:30 pm EST (That is 1/2 hour after noon, not midnight.)
-Her mom received a text saying she had arrived at the airport at 2:00 pm. Her fiancee also received a text saying her plans had changed at 2:00 pm EST.
-Her flight was scheduled to depart at 5:40 pm and was an 8 hour flight with a layover in Denver.

So Amber tried to call her, and calls her mom, etc. all on Saturday afternoon. Not in the middle of the night.

Ibiz :seeya: Some things in your timeline are a bit off.

On Sat 12/5
-We don't know what time her mom dropped her off at SD's.
-Her fiancee received a "normal" text from her at 12:30 pm EST (That is 1/2 hour after noon, not midnight.)
-Her mom received a text saying she had arrived at the airport at 2:00 pm. Her fiancee also received a text saying her plans had changed at 2:00 pm EST.
-Her flight was scheduled to depart at 5:40 pm and was an 8 hour flight with a layover in Denver.

So Amber tried to call her, and calls her mom, etc. all on Friday afternoon. Not in the middle of the night.

Thank you Claire, I have to get ready and head to work, but as soon as I get their, I will study this.

I understood they both got the text at 2 PM but I'm not sure which time zone. Yesterday sleuthers were using 2 PM Eastern.

It was 2PM EASTERN time. This was verified several times yesterday.

LE has shown no sense of urgency IMO. It almost feels like they either think she's not in danger or that the danger has already passed.

<modsnip>

Hi Claire!

Just so we're all on the same page-- it was Saturday, not Friday. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member