VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is cell reception like between SD's home and the mall/Metro/airport areas? What about nearby areas?

I only ask, because we're assuming her phone had been shut off immediately after sending the texts, but what if she was just out of cell coverage area? My phone goes straight to voicemail at our house unless my phone is sitting on the windowsill upstairs. I can send texts from lots of areas in our house though.

Hi Claire!

Just so we're all on the same page-- it was Saturday, not Friday. ;)

OMG! I can't believe I typed that. Sorry. Here I am trying to clear up the timeline and I go and make a stupid typ-o like that. I corrected my post to say Saturday.

The statement read funny ,his girlfriend was there and one of his female family members- boyfriend shot him .

O/T
OK got it. So Zachary was shot by the boyfriend of one of his female family members...

What is cell reception like between SD's home and the mall/Metro/airport areas? What about nearby areas?

I only ask, because we're assuming her phone had been shut off immediately after sending the texts, but what if she was just out of cell coverage area? My phone goes straight to voicemail at our house unless my phone is sitting on the windowsill upstairs. I can send texts from lots of areas in our house though.

I've never had difficulty with reception going up I-95 and when I've been riding with others going to DC on business they never had problems either. East of there on Hwy 301 or south of there on Hwy 17 I've had areas with no reception, but not on the I-95 corridor.

I did ask one of Katelin's family members if cell reception was reliable and the answer was that there were issues with her phone getting spotty coverage .I asked them at the Help save the Next girl event they had and that is the only time I spoke with any member of her family.

I posted cell phone coverage maps eailer in the thread but I can tell you sprint and Virgin mobile both have issue. I travel to brock road a lot and got no signals out there on either network but do on verizon. I also have family in ladysmith and they get service on sprint ,but didnt at that time on VM, other areas of Ruther glen do not get either of those two , partlow road was spotty on both network but verizon works okay in all places I have been in the county and area.I have had verizon for 2 years.

I did ask one of Katelin's family members if cell reception was reliable and the answer was that there were issues with her phone getting spotty coverage .I asked them at the Help save the Next girl event they had and that is the only time I spoke with any member of her family.

I posted cell phone coverage maps eailer in the thread but I can tell you sprint and Virgin mobile both have issue. I travel to brock road a lot and got no signals out there on either network but do on verizon. I also have family in ladysmith and they get service on sprint ,but didnt at that time on VM, other areas of Ruther glen do not get either of those two , partlow road was spotty on both network but verizon works okay in all places I have been in the county and area.I have had verizon for 2 years.

This is really useful to know! Thank you!

I'm on my phone right now, so no thank you button, so just wanted to say thank you! I have at&t and my husband and girls have virgin. When we've travelled up through VA and W.va. ,I get service in areas they don't. .definitely some good info to have! Thank you again!

Oh, and just a little heads up about Virgin Mobile. .although it's a non -contract service that runs off the Sprint network, it's just like having a contract phone with one exception. ..the user sets up the account. My husband and older daughter have new androids (galaxies) and my younger daughter has an iPhone 5. So Katelin's phone is not necessarily a cheap one.
It may have taken LE awhile to access her phone acct if she didn't use her real name, etc. My youngest has had her phone since she was 12, so I had to register it because virgin doesn't allow under 13 to register (although I'm sure there are kids that lie about their age ). At that time, we registered it under my name, not hers for safety and privacy reasons. They do not verify who is registered, so someone can put whatever they want in the info example : Jenny jumping bean, 4567 you know where St.
If you want a correct area code, you do have to put the correct city and state. But everything else can be false!

This is a very unkind statement to make. Lots of people are trying.

I was just playing, LOL... I know everyone is doing great work here. I love reading every post. Haven't found a bad one yet.

I am on this thread several times during the day and night hoping for any news on Katelin's disappearance. Since being on WS for approximately 8 years, there are many cases I just read and do not post on because I have nothing to add that hasn't already been stated.

Attacking the post rather than the poster per WS rules, I would like to add that I am not holding a torch or a pitchfork. I never get upset when someone doesn't subscribe to my theory. When we have hardly any information or facts we theorize or speculate and work together.

Personally, I am going to wonder about the last person who saw or was with a missing person. Until I hear or know that person has been 100% cleared, I am going to continue to wonder.

Someone out there knows something whether Katelin walked off on her own or someone who may have harmed her. If Katelin left on her own she may have not thought it would get so much notoriety. She may be reluctant to come forward.

If someone harmed her, then it will be known with time, IMO. I am baffled that the area where Katelin's bag was found has not be thoroughly searched. I also wonder why there have not been searches as there have been with other missing persons.

I just feel that it is impossible to know what transpired with so little information. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I am looking forward to more information coming out. I'm not helpful because I just don't know what to think other than the person who last saw her or was with her has not been 100% cleared.

MOO

So, I've gone round and round with the thing about Katelin's clothes being missing. At first I was thinking that maybe they were removed from the suitcase because if she disappeared herself voluntarily, maybe she was with someone who had the means to pay for her and she wouldn't be needing the stuff that was left in the suitcase, but she would be needing her clothes for the time being.

Then, later... my thoughts went to other more sick and sinister thoughts.... like maybe someone did take her- but they wanted her clothing as souvenirs or something, or maybe they wanted to be able to wear them themselves (or something of that nature, who knows... I'm just thinking that people who kidnap other people probably have other mental issues, too.)

But just now... I was on a couple of different websites looking up reports on Katelin being missing and all of the sudden it hit me--- what if her clothing was actually removed from her suitcase so that it couldn't be used by police dogs to trace her scent??

(Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I'm just trying to put pieces of the puzzle together... and this has been bothering me since her suitcase was found last Monday.)

Also, I wonder why nobody has asked Amber for any of Katelin's clothing (or other personal belongings) to be used for that purpose??

So it was 2:00 EST?

Correct ?

So, I've gone round and round with the thing about Katelin's clothes being missing. At first I was thinking that maybe they were removed from the suitcase because if she disappeared herself voluntarily, maybe she was with someone who had the means to pay for her and she wouldn't be needing the stuff that was left in the suitcase, but she would be needing her clothes for the time being.

Then, later... my thoughts went to other more sick and sinister thoughts.... like maybe someone did take her- but they wanted her clothing as souvenirs or something, or maybe they wanted to be able to wear them themselves (or something of that nature, who knows... I'm just thinking that people who kidnap other people probably have other mental issues, too.)

But just now... I was on a couple of different websites looking up reports on Katelin being missing and all of the sudden it hit me--- what if her clothing was actually removed from her suitcase so that it couldn't be used by police dogs to trace her scent??

(Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I'm just trying to put pieces of the puzzle together... and this has been bothering me since her suitcase was found last Monday.)

Also, I wonder why nobody has asked Amber for any of Katelin's clothing (or other personal belongings) to be used for that purpose??

This is a really intriguing idea. Maybe they have something of hers from someone else for that purpose, though I wasn't aware that they'd begun canine searches yet?

I was also confused by the lack of any tracking dogs being used. I think it's because LE has stated they have no evidence Katelin ever left Spotsylvania, so there is no clear area to track her from. (I hope this makes sense). I do hope that the last place LE KNOW she was, has been thoroughly forensically examined and searched. I hope this area would also have been searched with cadaver dogs. JMO of course.

Does anyone know the extent of any searching that has been done? I keep waiting to hear about massive searches being done around the area near where her suitcase was found... maybe bodies of water in that area (not a pleasant thought i know). :(

There was one article stating that items were scattered. Of course we don't know how accurate that article is or where that came from. It could possibly be that it was clothing that was scattered and the items left in the bag were in a side pocket or a zipped pocket in the front of the bag.

MOO

Does anyone know the extent of any searching that has been done? I keep waiting to hear about massive searches being done around the area near where her suitcase was found... maybe bodies of water in that area (not a pleasant thought i know). :(

I read of one search being organized on the facebook page (when it was public), but according to the admin, LE asked them not to search. I don't know of any other organized searches being done.

There was one search that was planned not long after Katelin was reported missing (in the area where the suitcase was found?), but LE either stopped it or caused it to be rescheduled.

What gets me is if this was a toddler or child in grade school, there would be searches everywhere. People would be in a panic as we recently saw with the Dullin's. So I ponder more about this and have to think the police know what they're doing and working their hardest to pull it all together.

I heard locally that;

LE searched river road sometimes after 1 pm on tuesday the 9th I think. They ran helicopters along the river there the same day . That is all I have heard about.

I have no way to know if it is true or not. I was on river road earlier than 1 and saw no LE in the area.

We need some reporters to approach the local businesses and find out if LE was able to see Katelin on any of their surveillance video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214