VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Vail. There was inaccurate reporting that said the stepfather was seen on video. Some people here keep dragging up the inaccurate and poorly written articles. The one article you linked seems to be the most accurate. http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

As for the NamUs profile, the admin. of the Help Find Katelin Facebook page says that it was the Spotslyvania LE that submitted the info to NamUs. https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindKatelinAkens/?ref=ts&fref=ts Note that it was entered one month from the time she went missing. They might routinely submit missing persons to NamUs at one month.
I've never read a Namus listing quite like that one. Scars are often mentioned, but the description in this case is what I question. Those words didn't come from LE.

I pray to God Katelin is alive and well. If so, she probably has access to the internet. However, seeing every private detail of her personal life splashed all over the web will not encourage her to come forward. We should all keep that in mind before we repeat what we read.

JMO

Why aren't any of current pictures of Katelin on Namus and NCMEC??

Amber and I have talked about that, and she's going to have some some current photos added to their reports. (And fix the errors, too)

Is it possible clothes were found in the luggage but LE doesn't want it known?

I also wonder if the clothes were strewn about and maybe someone took some before LE arrived?

The NamUs profile has been updated. It now says she is missing from Spotslyvania. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/31989.

They have also changed the profile strength to medium-high, earlier today it was rated as 'medium-low'. I wonder if they have received additional info. that is not made public.

Thank you ClaireNC. Since I posted the last one, the least I can do is bring the corrected info to Katelin's thread....

Here are the links to the updated case report and poster:

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System Case Report - 31989 (UPDATED):

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/31989
a3a0fdebde3f57a2488a8f35803f91c4.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/poster/31989

#FindKatelin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something just seems very fishy, and I can't even put my finger on what it is, exactly. Clothes were found with the luggage, clothes were missing, clothes were scattered about, NO clothes were found, etc., so forth and so on.

A straight answer on this would be nice, instead of so many conflicting ones. It just makes it really hard to piece together the facts, when we can't even seem to get straight facts.

MOO.

Beth Watson and I (Amber's mom) are running the new page. She started the group, and she made me an admin.

Thanks, Nic! The page looks great, and has helpful info. Is Beth a friend of Katelin's? If you want to say.

Something just seems very fishy, and I can't even put my finger on what it is, exactly. Clothes were found with the luggage, clothes were missing, clothes were scattered about, NO clothes were found, etc., so forth and so on.

A straight answer on this would be nice, instead of so many conflicting ones. It just makes it really hard to piece together the facts, when we can't even seem to get straight facts.

MOO.

It's like someone really doesn't WANT the info out there. Very strange. I can't help but think there is something else going on that the family is aware of.....

It's like someone really doesn't WANT the info out there. Very strange. I can't help but think there is something else going on that the family is aware of.....

One thing that keeps bothering me is that they are reporting that she was last seen in Spotsylvania, when her step-father says he dropped her off at the mall in Springfield. Wouldn't that mean that she was last seen in Springfield? Are they just discounting the step-father's story? Something definitely very fishy about the whole thing.

It's possible we have a case here of too many cooks spoiling the broth. As in, too many people putting info out there, without it being confirmed/verified. MSM says one thing, LE says another, and family says yet another. There's only one story - but which one is it?

One thing that keeps bothering me is that they are reporting that she was last seen in Spotsylvania, when her step-father says he dropped her off at the mall in Springfield. Wouldn't that mean that she was last seen in Springfield? Are they just discounting the step-father's story? Something definitely very fishy about the whole thing.

Yes. When LE has talked about Springfield they've qualified their reporting. Saying they've verified his car was there, but nothing about whether Katelin or even the stepfather was actually there in the car. I can't imagine that if Katelin was really in the mall they wouldn't have seen her on at least ONE surveillance camera in a store in the mall. Sure there are probably a lot of videos to go through. But if they know when the SD's car was in the area and when Katelin's flight left they have narrowed down the time frame. And how many ladies would be walking through the mall carrying or, if it had a handle with rollers, pulling it behind them? You would think that would make her stand out. This, of course, this assumes she actually went into the mall. (The SD didn't stay to see her actually walk in?) Or she didn't take her luggage in with her but left it at home or in the car. (She disappeared voluntarily and SD helped?) LE has said nothing more about looking at videos in the mall and they probably know much more than they are telling us.

Thank you ClaireNC. Since I posted the last one, the least I can do is bring the corrected info to Katelin's thread....

Here are the links to the updated case report and poster:

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System Case Report - 31989 (UPDATED):

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/31989

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/poster/31989

#FindKatelin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think her being reported missing on the 7th is a little suspicious to say the least. Amber could offer some intel on that, I'm sure.

TitleDetective
First nameRobert
Last nameMarshall
Phone540-507-7493
Website
Case number15-109739
Date reportedDecember 07, 2015

JurisdictionLocal
AgencySpotsylvania County Sheriff's Office
Address 1PO Box 124
Address 2
CitySpotsylvania
StateVirginia
Zip code22553

CommentsAlso see CONTACTS screen

I think her being reported missing on the 7th is a little suspicious to say the least. Amber could offer some intel on that, I'm sure.

TitleDetective
First nameRobert
Last nameMarshall
Phone540-507-7493
Website
Case number15-109739
Date reportedDecember 07, 2015

JurisdictionLocal
AgencySpotsylvania County Sheriff's Office
Address 1PO Box 124
Address 2
CitySpotsylvania
StateVirginia
Zip code22553

CommentsAlso see CONTACTS screen

I've read the threads, but can you refresh me? Is the 7th the day of the flight? TIA. Iow, why is the 7th fishy?

I've read the threads, but can you refresh me? Is the 7th the day of the flight? TIA. Iow, why is the 7th fishy?

-She was supposed to arrive in AZ on the 5th and didn't. That should've sparked panic right away between her family and her girlfriend in AZ.

-Katelin was doing something very specific compared to a person leaving their home and not making contact thereafter. That means to me (IMO) that she could've and should've been reported missing immediately after learning that she didn't get off a plane in AZ.

-Calling her phone over and over is a moot point because she never boarded any plane, and that could've probably been confirmed on the 5th, but definitely the 6th at the latest.

-Amber is the key to clearing some of these things up. I'm just think out loud and not excusing anyone in particular of anything.

-She was supposed to arrive in AZ on the 5th and didn't. That should've sparked panic right away between her family and her girlfriend in AZ.

-Katelin was doing something very specific compared to a person leaving their home and not making contact thereafter. That means to me (IMO) that she could've and should've been reported missing immediately after learning that she didn't get off a plane in AZ.

-Calling her phone over and over is a moot point because she never boarded any plane, and that could've probably been confirmed on the 5th, but definitely the 6th at the latest.

-Amber is the key to clearing some of these things up. I'm just think out loud and not excusing anyone in particular of anything.

As far as we know, Katelin sent two texts on the 5th. One was to Amber saying she was not arriving that day, which turned out to be true. The other text was to her mother saying she had arrived at the airport, which turned out to be false. I would think LE has been able to verify those texts. I don't see how Amber could shed any light, but maybe I'm missing something.

Was it confirmed by LE that K never boarded the plane or was it only confirmed she never arrived in AZ?
Is it possible she did in fact board A plane but maybe changed her destination, hence the text to mom saying she was at the airport? Maybe she had someone pick her up & went off with them?
Or maybe K sent the text to Amber telling her she wasn't coming as a way of making sure Amber didn't show up at the airport to pick her up in AZ & then from AZ airport she had someone else pick her up & then went somewhere else? Idk I'm just trying to come up with other scenarios since it seems the others we've all mulled over & over don't seem to be panning out.

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.

Was it confirmed by LE that K never boarded the plane or was it only confirmed she never arrived in AZ?
Is it possible she did in fact board A plane but maybe changed her destination, hence the text to mom saying she was at the airport? Maybe she had someone pick her up & went off with them?
Or maybe K sent the text to Amber telling her she wasn't coming as a way of making sure Amber didn't show up at the airport to pick her up in AZ & then from AZ airport she had someone else pick her up & then went somewhere else? Idk I'm just trying to come up with other scenarios since it seems the others we've all mulled over & over don't seem to be panning out.

Wasn't her ticket found in the suitcase? Also, I DO think if Katelin HAD boarded the plane that info would have come out right away, as it would have been the first thing, IMO, that LE would have checked, and the report would have been that she went missing from somewhere else.

Wasn't her ticket found in the suitcase? Also, I DO think if Katelin HAD boarded the plane that info would have come out right away, as it would have been the first thing, IMO, that LE would have checked, and the report would have been that she went missing from somewhere else.

I thought the ticket found with luggage was the old ticket from her arrival not the departure ticket.

As far as we know, Katelin sent two texts on the 5th. One was to Amber saying she was not arriving that day, which turned out to be true. The other text was to her mother saying she had arrived at the airport, which turned out to be false. I would think LE has been able to verify those texts. I don't see how Amber could shed any light, but maybe I'm missing something.

According to this article the family never received a text. I never read anything about more than one text.

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

said Katelin’s sister, Gabrielle Akens.
Akens’ family tells 8News that her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it.
“It’s very unusual. She texts me millions of times a day, calls us. It’s unusual for her not to text us,” said Gabrielle Akens.

According to this article the family never received a text. I never read anything about more than one text.

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

said Katelin’s sister, Gabrielle Akens.
Akens’ family tells 8News that her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it.
“It’s very unusual. She texts me millions of times a day, calls us. It’s unusual for her not to text us,” said Gabrielle Akens.

From this link: www.wtvr.com/2015/12/07/luggage-fou...ld-be-key-clue-in-19-year-olds-disappearance/

""She texted and said she made it there, but we don't know if that's true," Lisa Sullivan said."

That's just one article, but I believe there are other articles mentioning the text to her mother. I'll update this post once I find them.

ETA: I've gotta go back to Thread 1 for the link. But in this thread, there's some discussion of the two texts around 12/23, if you're interested.

ETA2: I forgot how to link to a specific post, but I think I figured it out. I apologize in advance if this doesn't work. There's discussion starting around here about both texts and some theories on why/by whom/etc. they were sent: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12256264
Also, I can't find any news articles giving more clear info on that text, so I'm giving up on posting additional links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member