VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm leaning toward- someone wanted that suitcase to be found.

I'm leaning the other way...they were dumped out of sight..someone didn't want them found or at least not right away.

I'm leaning the other way...they were dumped out of sight..someone didn't want them found or at least not right away.

Apparently, the suitcase could be seen by people who were driving by on that road though, so my feeling is just that IF someone didn't want it to be found, they would have probably gone to a lot more effort to hide it..... that's all. I guess all we can really do is speculate.

Random reminder:

Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues.

Rules: Etiquette & Information

New article

"Mystery surrounds missing Arizona teen who disappeared on her way to the airport two months ago

Kaitlin Akens, 19, was supposed to catch a flight from Virginia to Arizona
She texted her mom that she made it to the airport, but never boarded flight

Her suitcase was then found 45 miles away from where she was last seen
Inside was her bank card, ID, wallet, cash, glasses and the plane ticket

But missing were the teen's clothes and her cell phone

Akens' family said they haven't heard from her since her final text

Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office is treating her disappearance as suspicious"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Arizona-teen-Kaitlin-Akens.html#ixzz40mNkk38Z

Apparently, the suitcase could be seen by people who were driving by on that road though, so my feeling is just that IF someone didn't want it to be found, they would have probably gone to a lot more effort to hide it..... that's all. I guess all we can really do is speculate.

Thanks.
I'm just thinking out loud. Seems like there are better places to leave the luggage if you absolutely want it to be found.
Likewise, we can all think of better places to discard it in hopes that it won't be found.
So maybe the luggage was tossed there with indifference to whether it were
ever discovered. If so (and IMO only) that points to an abduction. The question for me is whether it was a stranger or not.

I'm an ex step-dad of a girl the same age as Katelin and helped raise her from diapers along with two other daughters. My "Katelin" has stayed in constant communication with me over the years and recently told me that I've been more of a father to her then her bio-dad or current step-dad ever have been.
I don't think that this sort of relationship is that uncommon in today's world of extended families.

Thinking of my girls and thinking of Katelin Akins I'm finding it hard to believe that she has disappeared by her own choosing.
We're talking about a teenage girl here and I just don't believe that she would go 10 weeks without communicating either directly or indirectly to a family member or relative somewhere.
IMO even if she were contemplating a major life change as some have speculated, then she would at the very least let someone know she's alive by now.
I believe that word of mouth "through the grapevine" would have made it home by now and more likely within the first two weeks if that were the case.

New article

"Mystery surrounds missing Arizona teen who disappeared on her way to the airport two months ago

Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office is treating her disappearance as suspicious"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Arizona-teen-Kaitlin-Akens.html#ixzz40mNkk38Z

The fact that the clothes were missing from the luggage is encouraging imo...someone determined that they would be needed.

316983BE00000578-0-image-a-14_1456031627216.jpg
316983CE00000578-0-image-a-15_1456031633541.jpg 3169CCB700000578-3456736-image-a-42_1456035089839.jpg 3169CCBF00000578-3456736-image-m-41_1456035084879.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ounds-missing-Arizona-teen-Kaitlin-Akens.html

You were deceived knowing nothing about this group. Exactly my point. Thanks!

"break the silence, I will listen, they don't understand, tell me, you are not alone, there are many like you,,," on and on. It's text book.

IMO

I don't know anything about that group specifically, but the more I think about it the more likely I think she got involved with some type os isolationist/cult group. If you read about them and their methods - they are powerful, manipulative, controlling. If they could somehow swoop her up or capture her that might be the last anyone heard.

The only thing though is there MUST be an electronic trail. Maybe that's why things seem quiet now? All the work is behind the scenes and must be kept confidential.

I am not one for conspiracy theories. Never my go to. But researching a few cases here* and seeing them in action and how they operate (once personally) I believe it's a possibility here.

*Is there a thread or forum specifically for discussing cults and cult activity?

How did Dailymail get the story? I don't know how media works. Did a family member give them the info or do they just find stories themselves? I noticed a certain FB profile didn't link it. Made me sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree with other posters here - 2:00 seems a little early for a 5:40 flight.But the hours seem off or inconsistent however we may approach them so...also,I don't see how they could totally positively identify the SD vehicle and not make out anything about the occupants.

snipped by me / BBM.

It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the mall to the metro station she would have needed to get to (map here).

I live in the DC area and use the metro to commute, and, it has been a nightmare lately- especially during the middle of the day and on weekends. They are doing major rebuilding work at non-rush hour times due to a lot of issues that need to be repaired, and there are sometimes extremely long waits for trains and trips take much longer than usual.

All that to say, getting to the mall at 2pm, shop a little, walk to the metro (which would take longer with a bag), take a train which takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport in ideal circumstances... it's a little early, but not extreme IMO.

A bit off topic, but I'm surprised that few news articles have mentioned some of the past incidents at the Springfield Town Center where she was dropped off. It was recently redeveloped and quite nice now, and nothing has happened in years, but it had some big incidents a few years back. From the Wikipedia page:

"However, the mall's fortunes declined in the 1990s and 2000s. Its DMV office was where Hani Hanjour and Khalid al-Mihdhar, two of the hijackers in the September 11 attacks, illegally obtained state identification.[6] The mall also experienced two gang-related stabbings in 2005,[7] a fatal shooting in December 2007,[8] and a fatal carjacking in September 2008.[9]"

I moved to the DC area after this mall had already closed and was being redone, but long time residents frequently bring up these past incidents. I don't think this is related to the case, but I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up more.

I don't know anything about that group specifically, but the more I think about it the more likely I think she got involved with some type os isolationist/cult group. If you read about them and their methods - they are powerful, manipulative, controlling. If they could somehow swoop her up or capture her that might be the last anyone heard.

The only thing though is there MUST be an electronic trail. Maybe that's why things seem quiet now? All the work is behind the scenes and must be kept confidential.

I am not one for conspiracy theories. Never my go to. But researching a few cases here* and seeing them in action and how they operate (once personally) I believe it's a possibility here.

*Is there a thread or forum specifically for discussing cults and cult activity?

Are you talking about Common Ground? I tried to find some scandals or controversy involving them but have not so far.

snipped by me / BBM.

It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the mall to the metro station she would have needed to get to (map here).

I live in the DC area and use the metro to commute, and, it has been a nightmare lately- especially during the middle of the day and on weekends. They are doing major rebuilding work at non-rush hour times due to a lot of issues that need to be repaired, and there are sometimes extremely long waits for trains and trips take much longer than usual.

All that to say, getting to the mall at 2pm, shop a little, walk to the metro (which would take longer with a bag), take a train which takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport in ideal circumstances... it's a little early, but not extreme IMO.

If you live in the area you know better,you must be right.Thanks for the clarification

Are you talking about Common Ground? I tried to find some scandals or controversy involving them but have not so far.

Is Common Ground the one mentioned here, with the "Shhh" Facebook picture? I don't know anything about them other than what was mentioned in the two or three comments on this thread.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ounds-missing-Arizona-teen-Kaitlin-Akens.html

snipped from the beginning of the article

Mystery surrounds missing Arizona teen who disappeared on her way to the airport two months ago
Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office is treating her disappearance as suspicious

How did Dailymail get the story? I don't know how media works. Did a family member give them the info or do they just find stories themselves? I noticed a certain FB profile didn't link it. Made me sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know where they got this story but I am happy to see Katelin get attention no matter where it came from.

There's a post on the public find katelin page that has a link to a story on a page I'm not able to link here, nothing new but it's an interesting read.

Daily Mail picks up a ton of U.S. crime stories.

The article by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed on the public page has some pretty big (in my opinion) factual errors in it.

Im not a techy person, but I'd assume my every move at a mall would be on camera. Iow, I cant see her choosing the mall as a planned escape in thinking that there are no cameras. I'd think there were plenty of cams... dressing rooms... everywhere... entrances/exits especially.

Why isn't she on camera there, even in the parking lot getting out of the car? There was no cam pointing at her when she exited the car? HOW WEIRD IS THAT?

I think she is not missing by choice. I wonder if LE examined any video of the mall or if the family, too, had the opportunity to search for her on any cameras/vids. A family member would recognize gait and gestures and posture immediately imo even if the hair and clothes were different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member