Found Deceased VA - Kathleen 'Katie' Barham, 32, Portsmouth, 27 May 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In that same video RF says he walked around until 2:30 "yelling her name" I wonder if anyone in the apartment complex was able to confirm that.

Someone had to hear him if he was don't ya think?

How about knocking on some doors? Its 2:30 am you have to know something is wrong
She is not back from doing laundry.
Im sure they have to have friends of some kind living there even the neighbors!
Id go banging on doors myself!

But that JMO

Keep in mind that most people don't have their Facebook posts set to public.... and even those that have SOME set to public, may have others set so that only friends can see them. One thing I've learned after reading all the missing cases on WS is to be sure my settings are private before my whole life is out there for anyone to read! ha.

In that same video RF says he walked around until 2:30 "yelling her name" I wonder if anyone in the apartment complex was able to confirm that.

So thinking his gf was abducted, he goes out to look for her at 1:00am til 2:30am & just left his kids at home alone with a possible abductor on the loose?
Better get cha boots on cuz it's gettin deep!

What made him think she was abducted at that time? I missed that!

And clothes always feel a little cold if they are damp ...

I am a night owl and used to do laundry around this time ... but I keep thinking that if i went missing. ..as much as my bf and i didn't get along sometimes. .. he Would have been worried enough to call my mom ... probably the police ... but most definitely our friends ... and he would have been looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I'm heartbroken for those precious kids. You can tell from the pictures that she was a good mom, who loved her children. I hope today is the day that they find out what exactly happened that night, and justice prevails!

What made him think she was abducted at that time? I missed that!

And clothes always feel a little cold if they are damp ...

I am a night owl and used to do laundry around this time ... but I keep thinking that if i went missing. ..as much as my bf and i didn't get along sometimes. .. he Would have been worried enough to call my mom ... probably the police ... but most definitely our friends ... and he would have been looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

But is your washer & dryer outside of your home? I've done laundry at all hours of the day & night, have 2 babies at home way back when, I did laundry whenever I got a chance lol....but if I had to go to a laundromat or to an apartment laundry room outside of my apartment, not a chance in he!!.....maybe I'm just chicken or watch too much Criminal Minds but I just wouldn't take that chance unless I knew 100% that Derik Morgan would be coming to my rescue!! [emoji16]

I'm trying to remember if I ever laundry alone when our apartment didn't have a washer and dryer from 2005 to 2007. The apartment was in the back of a 25 building complex and the washers and dryers were up front. It was a nice little drive. I don't think my husband ever made me do laundry by myself and night time was the only time we did laundry due to schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to working two jobs and not getting home until around 10 pm I've done laundry very late at night. I remember those horrible nights. I lived in the 3rd floor. No elevator and I would be soooo jumpy. I would make sure my daughter was asleep and do 3-4 loads. We lived in a seedy area, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And chances are no one would know until my daughter woke up the next day. I think I have more common sense now. Or just realized that I am mortal and very chicken😊
It's so scary how a simple thing like laundry can completely change your life.
My honky meter is going crazy with her fiance/babies daddy/bf. However that's just my trust issues rearing it's head.

I hope LE checked out the dryer in Katie's building to see if it was functioning correctly. Perhaps checking with other tenants to see if they too had issues with the dryer. Did the management company/manager of the complex receive any complaints or have any work preformed on the said drier recently.

Sure would be telling if the drier worked just fine and always has.

JMO

Katie was a stay at home mom. The kids are school aged. School is just getting out today. Had she worked outside the home or had toddlers, I would understand more.

Maybe she was a night owl who slept all day? Still seems unusual for a person to go do laundry at that time of night in that type of area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think doing laundry at that time of night is weird at all.

A few hundred years ago when I was just an up and coming oilfield hand, I lived in a couple of different apartment complexes. The worst thing about the laundry rooms were that they were always small, and had a minimum of both washers and dryers. I used to do my laundry late at night so I didn't have to wait around on somebody else doing theirs. A couple of washers and a couple of dryers are just about right for doing multiple loads for ONE person. If you have 3 or 4 different people trying to use them.....forget about it.

I didn't see anything odd at all about the arrangement they had that night. He was crashed on the couch watching TV and snoozing, and she had the kids in bed and was walking back and forth doing laundry. When you live in one of those apartment complexes, they're usually well lit at night and there are plenty of people coming and going at all hours of the day and night. After you live in one of them for awhile, you get a certain degree of security and comfort. Just due to the sheer number of eyes and ears around you, it's easy to feel a sense of security when it comes to crime and people hanging around that shouldn't be.

Personally, I don't think her fiance' had anything to do with this, but that is just the feeling I get when I'm watching him in interviews. I do have a lot of trouble explaining away why he wouldn't have launched his own search parties and gotten people from right there in the complex to help him. Was he told not to do that by the police ? Could it have been the person he talked to on the phone initially ? Was he TOLD not to do anything on his own until the police got there ? Why did he stand down the way he did ?

The 9 day lag between the time he called it in and the time her Dad finally got the ball rolling is definitely an oddity. It would really help to know if he did in fact contact some of his neighbors, some of her friends, and made contact via phone with some of the people they both knew in an attempt to find her. I don't know that he didn't go out and walk the neighborhood in an effort to find her. I wish they would sit him down and interview him for about 10 minutes and just let him tell his side of the story. The way these news stations put in tiny snippets of what these people say for a grand total of 10 seconds worth of interview is pretty annoying and irritating.

I haven't checked this thread in the last few days, I was hoping when I came in here they were going to have a suspect or somebody in custody. This case may prove to be a tough one for them.

I'm watching a documentary about the McStays and they're just saying the police has a "rule " that after 10 days after someone is missing they immediately call in homicide investigator's. Dunno if that applies all over the US but I just thought I'd point that out since the KB friend made that comment about 10 days.

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

The autopsy was done on either Thursday or Friday. I can't remember.

The impression I got was that she might have an older child that does not live with her?

But at 32 years of age she must have given birth at a pretty young age to have a child that would have move out of the house already, unless that child is younger and staying with perhaps his or her father.

If RF and Katie were together for 9 years that would have made Katie around 23 when they meet.

Personally, I don't think her fiance' had anything to do with this, but that is just the feeling I get when I'm watching him in interviews. I do have a lot of trouble explaining away why he wouldn't have launched his own search parties and gotten people from right there in the complex to help him. Was he told not to do that by the police ? Could it have been the person he talked to on the phone initially ? Was he TOLD not to do anything on his own until the police got there ? Why did he stand down the way he did ?

The 9 day lag between the time he called it in and the time her Dad finally got the ball rolling is definitely an oddity. It would really help to know if he did in fact contact some of his neighbors, some of her friends, and made contact via phone with some of the people they both knew in an attempt to find her. I don't know that he didn't go out and walk the neighborhood in an effort to find her. I wish they would sit him down and interview him for about 10 minutes and just let him tell his side of the story. The way these news stations put in tiny snippets of what these people say for a grand total of 10 seconds worth of interview is pretty annoying and irritating.

I haven't checked this thread in the last few days, I was hoping when I came in here they were going to have a suspect or somebody in custody. This case may prove to be a tough one for them.
[snipped for brevity]
I don't think the fiance is responsible either. Oh, the thought may have crossed his mind, but frankly, I don't think he could muster the motivation necessary to take the required action. Better to just flop over and go back to sleep.

I wonder if chemicals were used to help speed up the decomposition.

So very sad to read that it was her. May justice be swift!

:rose: R.I.P. Katie :rose:

Let's not forget, as it was posted upthread -- vultures: In one day a single vulture can whittle a body down to nothing but bones. And a couple of them ... it is not so unbelievable if you consider that factor.

It was katie's mother's boyfriend who said that she might have walked down to the local WaWa for change.

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...h-mother-missing-for-nearly-2-weeks/28733137/

Robert Poisal is the boyfriend of Katie's mother, who lives in Lynchburg. He made his way to Portsmouth last Sunday to help Rich take care of the kids. He believes Katie may have been kidnapped at a nearby gas station. He says she was low on coins for the washing machine and may have walked over to the Royal Farms or Wawa.

And I'm assuming Robert Poisal (Katie's Mom's BF) is getting this information second-hand, directly from RF (Katie's fiance) or from another source. He wasn't there himself when she was doing laundry, so that's the only way he'd know. (Just to clarify)

They were not married. RF was Katie's live in boyfriend/fiance.

Blame who? The police do need to be blamed. They dropped the ball on this case.

I'm sure hubby would like to blame them as well. But if it was your daughter would you be letting hubby off the hook for not telling you on day 12345.

I doubt it.

You are absolutely right Dexter! That fiance (RF) was derelict in his obligation to do anything and everything in his power to first check around with immediate family -- especially since he himself admitted that in the past Katie had left him for a few days (when they were quarreling) and gone to stay with her mother. I don't care how estranged the relationships were in his mind, he should have done this basic legwork and supplied LE with the phone numbers and what he had found out by his preliminary inquiries. It ain't rocket science.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back