Found Deceased VA - Kathleen 'Katie' Barham, 32, Portsmouth, 27 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have they determined COD yet? Or too early? I agree with you, CD82. And how do we know it wasn't him washing HIS clothes? Just heartbreaking all around.

So, BF doesn't alert friends and family for over a week but filed MP report May 28th? So odd.
Have Katie's family and friends stated what they were doing for that week to nine days? Were they calling her phone? Did they go to her apartment to find her, if they hadn't heard from her in days? Did her parents contact BF during that time saying "Hey, we can't get in touch with Katie, could you have her call us?" If so, what did BF say to them? So many questions regarding why a young mom who seems to be dear to so many people, why didn't these people go on a quest to make contact with Katie?

Another question :) If BF works, who has been taking care of the children since May 28th?

He says that when he woke up at 1:30 and realized that she was not at the apartment he went out looking for her, calling her name too.

He filed a missing police report the next day. He also says he repeatedly called the police but nothing was being done.

LE says they did not assign anyone to the case until 11 days after he filed the report.

Usually a person can clearly tell when someone is about to take loads of clothes to the laundromat at 10:30 at night. He said our clothes was in the dryer which sounds like she washed everyone's clothes. Which sounds like she had loads. Which sounds like he didn't give a crap to help his lady at 11pm.

He acted like he was surprised when she wasn't laying next to him when he woke up at 130. Maybe she would have been if you wasn't content with her drying your clothes at 12 midnight in the apt complex laundromat by herself.

I'm conflicted on this one. The fiance didn't call family for 9 days. His story supposedly changed about sleeping next to her or falling asleep on the sofa. He supposedly didn't participate in searches. Did he call her phone in those early morning hours? The body wasn't far from the apt maybe because with two young children he couldn't go far in case one of them woke up. Doesn't look good there.

OTH, he did go to Portsmouth PD the next day and report her missing. He supposedly kept calling her cell phone for 4 days. In that 4 day period he was supposedly calling LE for why they weren't tracking her phone and maybe for status? He probably couldn't go on searches because he didn't have anyone to look for the 2 children. What is his motive - they weren't married, so he wasn't facing a nasty, financially draining divorce. (She MIGHT get child support - don't know since they were not married - but not alimony.) Nothing so far that he was controlling or abusive. And why put the body so close - he would've said he was he out looking for their mother if he was gone.

I can see where he might not be the one responsible for her death. But he's not entirely in the clear either.

The fact that the body was found so close to their apartment leads me to think that:
-there were no searches before the LE appointed the detective to the case or
- the body wasn't there all those 10 days.
Also about her mobile if the boyfriend was calling her frantically, IMHO the battery wouldn't last 4days.
The biggest red flag about him IMO is the changing of the story from sleeping on the bed to sleeping on the couch.

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

May 27, around 10:30PM - left apartment to do laundry (Fegan)

May 28, 12:24AM - Status update on FB tagging two close friends, who later "Liked"the photo (FB)
May 28, around 1:30AM - Fegan awoke around 1:30AM and found the clothes in the dryer (Fegan)
May 28th, ? - Fegan files a MP report with Portsmouth PD
June 2 (approx) - Katie's cell phone stops responding to calls, assuming this is how Fegan knows it was on for four days) (Fegan)
June 6/7th - Fegan notifies Katie's parents she is missing
“I just didn’t want to jump the gun and make everyone concerned for her before I was sure there was a problem,” Fegan says.
June ? - ? - Fegan repeatedly calls PD (Fegan)
June 8 - Detective assigned to the case.
June 9 - Police receive reports of a bad smell in the area, and police are called to the area around 10:45PM on the 9th. June 10th AM, body is found in wooded area approx 400m from Katie's apartment .

"At this time, her death is being considered suspicious."

"None of us knew. Or we would have been all over it knocking on doors and we would have been doing what we have been doing which is trying to get something solved and make something happen,” (a Tidewater college prof. that knew Katie) Whitener says.
http://wavy.com/2015/06/09/police-searching-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/

Of note, Fegan said he woke up and she wasn't next to him before the body was found. After the body was found, he changed his story to falling asleep on the couch. http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...earch-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/70998316/

He thought to look in the dryer of the other apt. building, but didn't get around to the woods surrounding the complex?
http://wtkr.com/2015/06/12/body-found-wednesday-confirmed-to-be-missing-portsmouth-woman/

That comment about not wanting to jump the gun and get people worried was priceless. 9 days? Lol

That guy is finished. Thanks for the timeline Vail. Now I can continue making tutus without doing extra research on this case. Lol

I'm conflicted on this one. The fiance didn't call family for 9 days. His story supposedly changed about sleeping next to her or falling asleep on the sofa. He supposedly didn't participate in searches. Did he call her phone in those early morning hours? The body wasn't far from the apt maybe because with two young children he couldn't go far in case one of them woke up. Doesn't look good there.

OTH, he did go to Portsmouth PD the next day and report her missing. He supposedly kept calling her cell phone for 4 days. In that 4 day period he was supposedly calling LE for why they weren't tracking her phone and maybe for status? He probably couldn't go on searches because he didn't have anyone to look for the 2 children. What is his motive - they weren't married, so he wasn't facing a nasty, financially draining divorce. (She MIGHT get child support - don't know since they were not married - but not alimony.) Nothing so far that he was controlling or abusive. And why put the body so close - he would've said he was he out looking for their mother if he was gone.

I can see where he might not be the one responsible for her death. But he's not entirely in the clear either.

Now, see, I think if I had killed somebody, I would think to continually call their cell phone so there was proof I had tried to locate them. I think that one is easy to figure out.

Location of her body is a little tougher. That was a quick spot. Maybe he intended to go back & move her, but never got the opportunity. Maybe he thought that placing her that close would make him look less likely. I initially thought it couldn't be him based on proximity of the body.

And, I can see him not calling family yet even the next day, I'll even give him 2 days if they had an argument on the evening of the 27th and she grabbed clothes to go wash to get away from him to cool off. But, beyond that is inexcusable.

With that said, since he filed a missing persons report, he obviously didn't think she was just out cooling off. So, now I'm back to not calling the family that first day is a huge red flag.

And, when the family did find out and get involved, Katie's mom's bf went and took care of the kids. I assume so RF could help search. And it appears they had a lot of friends, and we've all seen enough searches that getting a babysitter would not be a problem. Dang, do I call somebody to babysit while I go search for my fiancé or nah, don't want to bother anybody. It seems him not having anybody to watch the kids while he searched is pretty lame.

I think LS is right....he's smart but he's dumb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, BF doesn't alert friends and family for over a week but filed MP report May 28th? So odd.
Have Katie's family and friends stated what they were doing for that week to nine days? Were they calling her phone? Did they go to her apartment to find her, if they hadn't heard from her in days? Did her parents contact BF during that time saying "Hey, we can't get in touch with Katie, could you have her call us?" If so, what did BF say to them? So many questions regarding why a young mom who seems to be dear to so many people, why didn't these people go on a quest to make contact with Katie?

This is something I've been wondering as well. I can't imagine parents go that long without talking to their children. I speak with my parents daily even if it's just a text. I would think if they had called the bf and he told them she was busy or something the mother's boyfriend wouldn't have been defending him to the news.because it would be very obvious he was lying if he then told them she had been missing for 9 days.

Here's the blurb (snipped) where Katie's cousin talks about the family not finding out for 9 days. It doesn't say if RF finally contacted them or if LE contacted them once a detective was assigned.

"Katie’s cousin Lee Deans says she learned Katie was missing because Fegan didn’t call her or her family until nine days after Katie disappeared.

“It left me sick. I am sick about it because I know the more time passes, the less likely we are going to recover her safely,” she says.

So why did Fegan wait so long to tell them?

“I just didn’t want to jump the gun and make everyone concerned for her before I was sure there was a problem,” he says."

http://wtkr.com/2015/06/09/police-searching-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/

Here's the blurb (snipped) where Katie's cousin talks about the family not finding out for 9 days. It doesn't say if RF finally contacted them or if LE contacted them once a detective was assigned.

"Katie’s cousin Lee Deans says she learned Katie was missing because Fegan didn’t call her or her family until nine days after Katie disappeared.

“It left me sick. I am sick about it because I know the more time passes, the less likely we are going to recover her safely,” she says.

So why did Fegan wait so long to tell them?

“I just didn’t want to jump the gun and make everyone concerned for her before I was sure there was a problem,” he says."

http://wtkr.com/2015/06/09/police-searching-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/

Thanks for the fb ........

I couldn't find it. But atleast i know how her besties feel about him.

I think 10 days is when he loses his kids. Then comes the arrest. Safety first.

Some more comments on a post by LS. Looks like one is from a neighbor in the apartment complex who says nobody in the complex knew she was missing until the seen it on the news & seen posts by family & friends. And to trust & believe if they had known, they would have been all over it. This tells me there were some neighbors that at least Katie was close to and all RF had to do was knock on a door and he would have had babysitters & search help. And WHO doesn't AT LEAST check around the apartment complex to see if anybody had seen anything?! I hadn't even thought about that until I read those comments! That just made me sick!

Here's the FB page. LS posts are under "posts by others" worth a read! (Her original comments about the 10 days were deleted, but a few of us on here got to read them, but didn't think to screenshot) https://www.facebook.com/bringkatiebhome?fref=ts

I saw it but didn't think to screenshot :( I had another thought about the "tenth day". Wasn't she found on the ninth day? What if something happened 10 days before instead on 9? What if her phone was going to voicemail or she wasn't replying to texts to LS before the night she went missing?

Here's the FB page. LS posts are under "posts by others" worth a read! (Her original comments about the 10 days were deleted, but a few of us on here got to read them, but didn't think to screenshot) https://www.facebook.com/bringkatiebhome?fref=ts

Whoa. Interesting read. Thanks. We are not alone in our thoughts.

She is definitely a Katie advocate. Much obliged.

I think it happened when she came back in from putting a load in the dryer at 1215.

Some more comments on a post by LS. Looks like one is from a neighbor in the apartment complex who says nobody in the complex knew she was missing until the seen it on the news & seen posts by family & friends. And to trust & believe if they had known, they would have been all over it. This tells me there were some neighbors that at least Katie was close to and all RF had to do was knock on a door and he would have had babysitters & search help. And WHO doesn't AT LEAST check around the apartment complex to see if anybody had seen anything?! I hadn't even thought about that until I read those comments! That just made me sick!

That comment struck me as well. This shows that he was hindering any possible search efforts by anyone.

He was buying time by keeping mum.

Initial MS are KB's sister right? Looks like she's supporting LS wholeheartedly.

The biggest flag to me about not calling her family is - that should be one of the first places he should check if he honestly was looking for her.

This is something I've been wondering as well. I can't imagine parents go that long without talking to their children. I speak with my parents daily even if it's just a text. I would think if they had called the bf and he told them she was busy or something the mother's boyfriend wouldn't have been defending him to the news.because it would be very obvious he was lying if he then told them she had been missing for 9 days.

But since he has the kids. You have to defend him on tv until the kids are no longer in his custody. Wink wink.

That is standard operating procedure 1 ole 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
59lilBERNICE
Back