VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha! That's exactly the conclusion my husband and I came to. I'm from a hunting family and that's why I also wondered if the structure that my map points to (and that you all have referred to) is a kennel or something for a hunting club? Can any of the locals go check it out? I could but I'm a couple of hours away.

FYI, when you zoom in at maps and stare at things, you can imagine all sorts of interesting stuff...:crazy:

(ETA: I don't really think it's someone with a gun, but I do believe duck blinds are usually lower? If you look at how long the shadows are for the trees, etc., it seems like a tall narrow structure?)

THEY ARE INDEED DUCK BLINDS. ONE EVERY 500 YARDS in that whole area

THEY ARE INDEED DUCK BLINDS. ONE EVERY 500 YARDS in that whole area

Thanks. Though I guess the only difference between a duck blind and a bird observation shelter is whether you're in it with a loaded shotgun or binoculars and a notebook :D

I have lived in the Chester and Col. Hts. area for almost 30 years. Regarding the dilapidated structures in the midst of the nice neighborhood...the nice neighborhoods were mostly built up within the last 30 years, some within the last 10-15 in that area and some are still not "completed". Prior to the construction of the subdivisions, the area was all farmland. Not all of the farmland has been developed (although most of it has), so a few of the old farm/country houses still exist accessible by dirt roads/paths. Way back when, 40-50 years ago plus, it was all dirt roads there. I'm not sure if anyone still lives in them but my curiosity is piqued so I may have to explore this weekend!

I have lived in the Chester and Col. Hts. area for almost 30 years. Regarding the dilapidated structures in the midst of the nice neighborhood...the nice neighborhoods were mostly built up within the last 30 years, some within the last 10-15 in that area and some are still not "completed". Prior to the construction of the subdivisions, the area was all farmland. Not all of the farmland has been developed (although most of it has), so a few of the old farm/country houses still exist accessible by dirt roads/paths. Way back when, 40-50 years ago plus, it was all dirt roads there. I'm not sure if anyone still lives in them but my curiosity is piqued so I may have to explore this weekend!

I wish I could be there to go with you! The only thing I remember in that area when I was a kid was the Dunlop "Mansion" and Greenleaf Dairy. Those paths you spoke of are how we used to get to the creek. They really screwed that up for us with those houses! I can remember when they started cutting roads through there for the subdivision that they in essense buried the Dunlop Mansion with in the mid 80's. I lived across Ellerslie Avenue on Old Towne Drive at the time and we were mortified.
At the risk of sounding as if I'm begging.....if you go PLEASE take a camera....pretty please? And whatever you do, STAY SAFE and don't put yourself at unnecessary risk.

I remember when the mansion and the dairy was all that was right there. Now its dunlop farms, food lion, apartments, etc. and then over by white banks, conjurers neck subdivision, etc. If I go I will definitely take a camera and probably a friend for safety reasons!

And carrying on with Shutter's sentiments...

Camera/pics would be great. But please be safe and take someone with you if possible and let someone know where you will be going

Just a thought..... we do not know for sure the location kelly went into the water. The dogs tracked her scent going around and behind Linens of the Week. This could mean she did not go on the water at BPA. She could have wandered for a while, walking until she came upon a place she knew. She stated to fellow co-workers that she had a special place she had found that no one would be able to find her at. I know no one wants to believe she did this to herself, but so many different events of the night before point in that direction. This is hard to accept, but most likely the end result is Kelly's doings.

RIP Kelly...You will be missed by so many.

This is also the first time I have heard this. Jitterbug, can you clarify where you heard this (the special place she mentioned) from?

wow....1) what special place? who did she tell that to and when?

2) what do you mean by "the events of the night before"?

I hope Jitterbug will answer these questions..thanks

This is also the first time I have heard this. Jitterbug, can you clarify where you heard this (the special place she mentioned) from?

I spent most of the night into the wee hours of the morning looking through every post on both threads trying to find reference to this "special place." I sure wish someone would point it out to me if I missed it....it's driving me out of my mind.:banghead:

wow....1) what special place? who did she tell that to and when?

2) what do you mean by "the events of the night before"?

I hope Jitterbug will answer these questions..thanks

RE#2-Didn't find anything on either thread about that either Logic..........maybe I'm going blind?

I spent most of the night into the wee hours of the morning looking through every post on both threads trying to find reference to this "special place." I sure wish someone would point it out to me if I missed it....it's driving me out of my mind.:banghead:

I remember reading it. I think it might have been in one of the posts that was removed a while back.

There were 2 threads pulled, containing several posts that were pulled, due to disagreements between CiV and family. I don't recall the pulled posts discussing a "special place of Kelly's." In fact, I kept a copy of the second of CiV's pulled posts, and it has absolutely nothing to do with a special place. (If you want a copy, give a yell.) The first of the pulled posts argued about the Kelly-CiV relationship.

I thought that I had seen a reference to "special place" posed as a question on this site. In other words, I thought someone had asked the question to either family or coworkers in the form of, "Does anyone know if Kelly had a special place that only she knew about to go think things through?"

It's easy to go down the suicide road except for the blaring facts:

1. body ended up upstream
2. goggles discovered on the second day of the search in an area that had already been searched
3. she mentioned things being moved around

I'm sure that many of you can think of more things that don' match suicide.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get dna and autopsy results back? I think LE have dropped the ball on this case and told family that it will take 2 to 6 months (yes months) to get results back. This makes me think that they are writing it off as a suicide otherwise, wouldn't you want to be just a wee bit quicker to get on the trail of a suspect?
I'm very disgruntled today on hearing this. I'm not a born leader, but I will certainly support anyone that starts a movement which I've coined "Solve Kelly's Case".
NOT A SINGLE person that I've spoken to thinks she could make it upstream like that.
Are these the people we want "protecting and serving" us? There has been no protection and next to no service.
Just my humble opinion.

I'm totally with you, Ccweb...I get the impression LE is hoping everyone except the family will lose interest in the toxicology results and just go away. Too many of us are dedicated to seeing this thru and I will be more than happy to be involved in a "solve this case" campaign. Count me in....any emails, etc. that need to be done, I'm there.

It's easy to go down the suicide road except for the blaring facts:

1. body ended up upstream
2. goggles discovered on the second day of the search in an area that had already been searched
3. she mentioned things being moved around

I'm sure that many of you can think of more things that don' match suicide.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get dna and autopsy results back? I think LE have dropped the ball on this case and told family that it will take 2 to 6 months (yes months) to get results back. This makes me think that they are writing it off as a suicide otherwise, wouldn't you want to be just a wee bit quicker to get on the trail of a suspect?
I'm very disgruntled today on hearing this. I'm not a born leader, but I will certainly support anyone that starts a movement which I've coined "Solve Kelly's Case".
NOT A SINGLE person that I've spoken to thinks she could make it upstream like that.
Are these the people we want "protecting and serving" us? There has been no protection and next to no service. Just my humble opinion.

In my head I keep going back to the remark I saw written on Topix by a local the first day I noticed that a person named Kelly Catalano disappeared on her break from her job when she decided to take a walk and never came back. When a poster asked a question, she was told by another poster, "Don't you think that would have been checked out already by the police?" The first poster replied "We're talking about the Chesterfield Police Dept. here!!!" Speaks volumes.

Your reasons 1-3 are excellent for why this was not a suicide. And many, many more reasons exist. I'm several states away, so I don't know if my influence would do much to get Chesterfield PD moving on this case, but I would also, like Blondie, be willing to email, call, etc., whoever you think can help. And it might be worth an effort to get locals together to petition for a real investigation of Kelly's death instead of allowing LE to continue pushing for what is an "easy" explanation.

One other thing I thought of - we have had a lot of rain/snow here, more than usual than in the past few years. If those satellite pics were taken during more of a droughty period, then the water levels might be much higher now. I know they are higher "right now" as in "today" because of 3 days of rain. I don't remember the weather specifics of the days surrounding Kelly's discovery, but I do know that, in general, we are up much higher in overall rainfall than in years past when we were under drought conditions and water conservation measures were being enforced. So, my point being, her body could have been less affected by very shallow water than we might assume based solely on the bing/google satellite photos.

I posed that question about a special place...and I think someone else posed a question very similar...and neither was answered.

I posed that question about a special place...and I think someone else posed a question very similar...and neither was answered.

I am so glad you posted that MBLover; that was my memory, that someone asked the question, but I couldn't remember who. And yep, no one answered.

And now Jitterbug says Kelly spoke of a special place. Jitterbug, are you a coworker? And can another coworker verify what Jitterbug is saying, that Kelly spoke of a special place, one that "no one else would be able to find her at"? Thank you in advance.

Another reason to question suicide: How easy is it to kill yourself in relatively shallow, slow-moving, very cold water? People who commit suicide by drowning usually get drunk and swim out to sea, or jump from a high bridge into deep water. And since Kelly was athletic, I'm assuming she probably knew how to swim, which would make it even harder.

If she was suicidal, she'd have so many other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3