VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree Kenon...and I am more than suspicious of Kelly's death as well as Jill Edmonds...and don't believe either of them committed suicide...I'm sure that 99% of those on this thread don't believe the suicide angle either.

Any ideas about how we can get investigators to reopen these cases or any others?
And MBlover I agree with you also. I don't believe any of it either. Believe me I think everyday about what we can do, but the law has their own way of working and they can do whatever they want. It's really pathetic. The only way sometimes to get thru to them is lawsuits and that hardly works. Ya know what I mean?

MBLover and Kenon, ITA!!!

Maybe after Kelly's estate is settled there will be funds available that can be used to hire a Private Investigator? We found plenty of suspicious aspects, which LE seemingly ignored.

Hi guys.....although quiet, I'm still here. Don't ever think just because you don't see me, that I've dipped out because there's no news. I follow, I just don't even know what to say most of the time anymore because I am SO P*SSED OFF at the way this catastrophy keeps blindsiding Kelly's family.

There was talk back a couple of pages about other cases listed as accidental/suicidal drownings. I brought you another one, and from this you can see how long the questions go back. This man DID NOT die from drowning, at least not by accident or at his own hands. He didn't fall into Swift Creek or jump in. But you think the "body traveling upstream" is something out of the twilight zone? This man reportedly drowned on the high side of a dam, was washed over the dam with NO water going over it and wound up at the bottom of the dam in six inches of water (20 feet from it's base. Did he catapult off the dry dam after he was dead?)...and oh yeah, there were no signs of trauma to the body...and of course no signs of foul play.....WHAAAAA? This family was threatened by LE when they sought answers themselves and began investigating on their own, knocking on doors of neighbors, etc. LE ignored everything the family turned up, including the guy who "turned over Tony's ring because he felt guilty." He claimed he won it in a card game. Tony didn't play cards and he had no reason to give this man his most prized possession. He had plenty of money on him when they found him. But someone who robbed him wouldn't know that because he kept his money in his shoe or his sock, I can't remember which now. LE said he'd been dead for "several days" but he called relatives the night of April 3rd and the morning of April 4th. LE ignored that as well. They ignored everything that didn't fit squarely into their nice accidental drowning package. Classic tunnel vision. And look how long COD took....a day, two? They were saying accidental drowning with no toxicology reports, nothing. Now you tell me how they can do THAT? "Oh, there's a body in the water....it musta drowned" case closed?????

Tony2-2-1.jpg

Tony11-1.jpg

My intention is in no way to change the focus of this thread, but this is something that I buried very deep. It's been twenty-three years and I haven't thought about this in almost that long, but Kelly brought it back to me just in time for the twenty-third anniversary of his death. Denial is a powerful tool I suppose. I can't help but think it was necessary for me to remember now, because maybe there is some way I can use what happened to Tony to begin to unravel the problem that clearly exists in this area. I can't 'dig' too deeply into Kelly's case because I'm not next of kin or family. But in Tony's case I am family, and I'm not real good at taking no for an answer. And if they give me any crap, I can call Tony's next of kin for backup.

Someone is going to have to put all of these cases together so that the glaring inconsistencies AND the common threads can be seen in all of them as a whole. Until then no one is going to second guess the mighty Chesterfield PD.

Shutterfly, I am so sorry. I had to read this post twice to make sure I got it. You had the same thing happen in your family? Something is definately wrong here. This is just unbelievable. Le can't be bothered trying to figure things out so they go with the same scenario with everyone. Do they not think the family and the public won't figure it out? How do you go about getting to the bottom of things without it costing tons of money? I just wonder how many more cases they have in VA like that. It seems to me there is some corruption in the Va LE.

Shutterfly...Thank You for sharing Tony's untimely death with us. I dont know why LE cannot see that there is a problem but I find it very hard to believe that Kelly, Tony, Jill or Eleanor committed suicide. They just use it as a quick way to get their cases off their desk so that they dont actually have to find out what really happened. Obviously this is an answer that they have used for many years. I wonder how many more cases have gotten that answer? I wish I had some new information that I could share to help us figure out what really happened but we have nothing. Basically they have closed the case and thats the end. I wish I could accept that but I know kelly and that was not an option. Kelly would have never caused her family unneeded heartache.
Im not sure if any of this makes sense my head is going faster than my hands! And for that I apologize

Shutterfly...Thank You for sharing Tony's untimely death with us. I dont know why LE cannot see that there is a problem but I find it very hard to believe that Kelly, Tony, Jill or Eleanor committed suicide. They just use it as a quick way to get their cases off their desk so that they dont actually have to find out what really happened. Obviously this is an answer that they have used for many years. I wonder how many more cases have gotten that answer? I wish I had some new information that I could share to help us figure out what really happened but we have nothing. Basically they have closed the case and thats the end. I wish I could accept that but I know kelly and that was not an option. Kelly would have never caused her family unneeded heartache.
Im not sure if any of this makes sense my head is going faster than my hands! And for that I apologize

Fortunately for me I was very young when this happened in my family. I was seventeen years old and the family didn't want to make waves because all of us had to live there. Because of this I was cut off a great deal from the pain of the loss. We didn't discuss it, therefore it didn't exist. But I can tell you that in looking back now it becomes very clear what destroyed Tony's family and especially his children's lives. I hope you all speak of Kelly often, and keep her alive in your hearts. I believe one day we'll know the truth.

I don't know what we can do, but I'm going to start in two places. I'm going back to Chesterfield in the next few weeks and I'm going to video tape the area where Kelly was found and try to get to the bottom of a 'pinpointed' location, just so we have a better feel for the area. I know a lot of you want to see it and can't get there.

And I'm going to do my level best to get a look at Tony's case file or something, if that's even possible outside of CSI of Cold Case Files episodes. I know it's a longshot, but I've got to try.

I'll spend some time in the library while I'm there and see how many similar cases I can 'dig' up.

Now that the investigation into Kelly's death is over with...

Shouldn't these records (at least the investigative ones) be available under the Freedom of Information Act? Someone could file a FOIA and get these records looked at by an independent source?

I am relatively new to WS (just joined with Kyron's case). I live in Northern VA and this case has intrigued me. I just finished reading everything about it.

Someone asked up thread about whether someone could have pulled off 95 at the bridge and dumped her body. IMO, I doubt it. There is too much traffic on this road 24/7, but I suppose anything is possible.

It appears that the bulk of the pictures that have been posted are from Bing & Google Maps. There was a ton of snow Jan - Mar, so it is possible that the water was quite a bit higher than in these photos. Has anyone been able to confirm what the water levels were at the time? I know that the water levels near my house, about an hour north on 95, were quite a bit higher than average around this time, due to snow melt.

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the gentleman who found Kelly to question him as to where exactly he found her, the state of her body & what position she was in?

I agree that, with everything that I have read, this does not appear to be a "suicide by drowning". I hope that Kelly's family is able to get justice for her.

I am relatively new to WS (just joined with Kyron's case). I live in Northern VA and this case has intrigued me. I just finished reading everything about it.

Someone asked up thread about whether someone could have pulled off 95 at the bridge and dumped her body. IMO, I doubt it. There is too much traffic on this road 24/7, but I suppose anything is possible.

It appears that the bulk of the pictures that have been posted are from Bing & Google Maps. There was a ton of snow Jan - Mar, so it is possible that the water was quite a bit higher than in these photos. Has anyone been able to confirm what the water levels were at the time? I know that the water levels near my house, about an hour north on 95, were quite a bit higher than average around this time, due to snow melt.

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the gentleman who found Kelly to question him as to where exactly he found her, the state of her body & what position she was in?

I agree that, with everything that I have read, this does not appear to be a "suicide by drowning". I hope that Kelly's family is able to get justice for her.

I'm still trying to locate JM (who found Kelly) or anyone else to tell me if the island where we suspect she was found is accurate and to get more information from him. I'm thinking I may fair better face to face but JM did give specifics via interview, and if I recall correctly he recognized her as a woman and her clothing was intact. I believe he described the clothing in detail.

I can 'testify' that there was plenty of snow the week of February 12th.

This is Blueprint on the 10th. I'd been in Chesterfield for two days I think (got there on the 8th I believe). There was considerably more snow when I arrived.
DSCN0411-1.jpg

This is taken from a relatives porch on February 12th.
Right behind the area in this picture, at the bottom of the hill, is Swift Creek. This house is about eight miles from Blueprint...I think. This is a 'ton' of snow to me, and I lived in this area most of my life. I stayed on just to witness it.
DSCN0387.jpg

It also snowed that I'm aware of near the end of December and toward the end of January. I know this because my mother sends me pictures everytime it snows to rub my nose in it. It doesn't snow where I live now....well, rarely more than three flakes anyway. Central Virginia had gotten 'hit' with several impressive snowfalls in the weeks surrunding Kelly's disappearance. I'll see if I can find the pictures my mom sent me from January.

Here's the weather info for January 2010...
weather.jpg

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Tidal information
tides1.jpg

Tides2.jpg

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/index.shtml

and last but not least, here are actual photos taken from the banks of Blueprint overlooking Swift Creek..

DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

Based on my own observations and thirty plus years of fishing this area, the water levels didn't seem high to me in mid-February when I was there, and I was there 'in between' snowfalls.

Interesting that you mention the speculation about Kelly's body being dumped from the 95 bridge. Here's my take on that. I came in that way when I went to Virginia in February. I exited 95 at Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights, which is just north of the 95 overpass straddling Swift Creek. There was snow and ice on the ground, the drive was a nightmare in the dark, and it was during the wee hours of the morning. I still doubt, based on the amount of traffic, I could have stopped my truck on the bridge and dumped something over without being seen.

Here's 'where my head has been' lately....

I keep going back, and I think that's what all of us are going to have to do; all the way back to the beginning. I think we may have missed something important. After all this time I can't shake the feeling that there's something so glaringly obvious staring us in the face that we're looking past it..................:waitasec:

Shutterfly, Your awesome. Thank you for the info, and I totally agree with you that there has to be something we are missing. I will go over this from the beginning again and see if anything jumps out that was overlooked the first time.

shutterfly...I have been back to this day many times and thru picture after picture of the area. I know Im missing something but just cant find what it is. I do know that it was a relatively nice day on Jan 15 (light jacket) cause Kelly wore a light jacket to work (black leather) and my family arrived early sat jan 16 morning. They never had to stop seachering due to snow for a couple of weeks. they had searched the water around and where Kelly was found and had said the water wasnt high by any means. at the highest point where Kelly was found 1 1/ feet high.
In my mind and heart after looking at everything I believe Kelly knew the person or people who did this cause she would have never have left us without a fight. That is why I'm leaning towards 2 people. I just wish we could prove it!
Good luck in Chester but please be careful my prayers are with you for answers for your own family also

One thing that has continued to bug me somewhat was the closely-coinciding story of the young man who went missing but later turned up, whom I believe was from the same general vicinity. I remember feeling very uncertain that his story added up.

Also, talk of Kelly's pictures going missing from her toolbox at work bothers me, and something about the stories of the co-workers she was supposed to go walking with again later that day she went missing.

Not to mention her reports that things seemed to be getting moved around in her house when she was absent.

I don't know...just some odd lingering doubts or questions about some of these things (for starters).

Ok, it is my understanding that the ME has ruled drowning to be Kelly's cod.

Did the ME ever say anything to Kelly's family concerning toxicology tests and what the test results were?

One thing that has continued to bug me somewhat was the closely-coinciding story of the young man who went missing but later turned up, whom I believe was from the same general vicinity. I remember feeling very uncertain that his story added up.

Also, talk of Kelly's pictures going missing from her toolbox at work bothers me, and something about the stories of the co-workers she was supposed to go walking with again later that day she went missing.

Not to mention her reports that things seemed to be getting moved around in her house when she was absent.

I don't know...just some odd lingering doubts or questions about some of these things (for starters).

I agree wholeheartedly, Solstice Canyon.

So many questions ... I still maintain my personal opinion of who did this and I hope and pray that justice is served someday for Kelly. She deserves it. Something is very wrong with this case, and it needs to be made right.

ou guys. This is off topic, but there is a thread about Tameka Claiborne here at WS who is missing and they are looking for her boyfriend. Look at the picture of the cop. He is smirking. It's funny I don't know why they are looking for the boyfriend just because the mom is missing. They have their own littlle scenario for everything they do. Now it seems like their trying a new stratedgy. Blaming someone for nothing so far anyway. If that's what LE is all about in Va. I feel sorry for that place. Let's see if Tameka committs suicide according to LE.

It appears that the bulk of the pictures that have been posted are from Bing & Google Maps. There was a ton of snow Jan - Mar, so it is possible that the water was quite a bit higher than in these photos. Has anyone been able to confirm what the water levels were at the time? I know that the water levels near my house, about an hour north on 95, were quite a bit higher .

Hi Hollye,

If Kelly's body was tossed over the bridge I would think that there would be some injury after her death that would show that. It appeared to be a high bridge. I am not making any leaps of judgement on that until details of her autopsy are revealed

Alot of the pictures are pictures shutterfly actualy went out and took she did a really excellent job and researched tons of stuff. Joe was out helping search and I am confident we have a very good conclusion about the water levels at the time Kelly went missing. They where higher weeks after she was reported missing but not at the time she went missing.

This is the only thing I can come up with as a scenario that would correspond to the ME classifying this as "suicide". (I find this hard to type, since she was a good swimmer, for cryin' out loud!)

Perhaps she was either walking or meeting with someone and either she dropped her phone in the river, or she ran into trouble with whoever she was with, and tried to call for help and they grabbed her phone, threw it in the river, she dove in after it (good swimmer, etc) and got caught in an undercurrent or whatever. That's it. That's the only scenario that I can come up with.

My apologies if this may be somewhat of a more graphic question in nature as I know the body was outside for a while so I'm not sure what was and wasn't in tact. Most drowning victims fingers and toes, skin, etc...will have the "prune" or wrinkled effect having been in the water for a longer period of time. Was anany skin visible at all and was it in fact smooth skin or was it wrinkled, like she was potentially in the water for a while??

I guess we've also clarified in the past that all toxocology reports came out clear. Not that I think Kelly injected something of her own accord..but if someone had made her take something ...

I'm sure this would cost major money for the family & I know this isn't done often..again, my apologies for the nature of this question...just wondered if another ME totally unrelated to the case and in another state if requested by family...could they maybe pick something else up in a secondary autopsy of sorts either that the first ME missed or failed to report or write down? You hear occassionally about this happening after someones been buried for years, so evidently there are potential clues and evidence that remain on a body for quite sometime?

Just trying to continue to think outloud..my thoughts remain with each of the family members.

I havent posted in a while but the idea of her phone dropping or being thrown in the water seems a little strange since most people know that once a phone hits water, it's pretty much done for. Plus I am not sure I would go in for it if the water is cold. If you got time to try and throw my phone, I've got time to try and run from you. My guess would be 2 people were present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member