Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The phrasing has always implied to me that she was overspending what her parents had allotted for her college expenses, not that the account itself was necessarily overdrawn.

Correcting myself; Here is an article that mentions the fact that Morgan had overdrawn her account. It looks like her dad made the comment. BUT, note how it says, “Morgan had overdrawn her account”. It does not say that the account is overdrawn and Dr. H didn’t mention it in the link I just posted above, he just said “balance her checkbook”. Being a dad myself, I can’t help but believe the minute MH told her dad it was overdrawn, that he didn’t put money in it. Especially with her living an hour from home and going to the concert.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...ay+she+was+overdrawn&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This was posted on the findmorgan forums, thought I'd bring it over here because of the many wonderful sleuths here - see what everyone can dig up:

Charlottesville Police would like your help in locating James Allen Bollinger of Greenfield Lane in the Charlottesville area. Bollinger is a white male, 5'05'' tall and about 160 lbs. He is 27-years-old.

He is wanted on charged by the Virginia State Police for failing to re-register as a sex offender, and two Class 5 Felony charges.

If you know where police can find Bollinger, or any other wanted person, please call CrimeStoppers at 434-977-4000. If your information leads to an arrest, there will be a reward.

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11787337

The phrasing has always implied to me that she was overspending what her parents had allotted for her college expenses, not that the account itself was necessarily overdrawn.

This was posted on the findmorgan forums, thought I'd bring it over here because of the many wonderful sleuths here - see what everyone can dig up:

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11787337

The street given in this article is 3.9 miles from JPJ, and his previous address with the Virginia RSO list is in Ruckersville, right near the 29-N/33-W interchange (which would be the shortest route to JMU from JPJ).

If this has been discussed, I've missed it or forgotten about it...

Wonder if the RSO's in the area have been checked out by LE - especially the ones who in addition to being RSO's also have violent offenses or tendencies. Not saying that being a RSO isn't violent enough - but I'm talking about the ones who have taken it a step further.

Correcting myself; Here is an article that mentions the fact that Morgan had overdrawn her account. It looks like her dad made the comment. BUT, note how it says, “Morgan had overdrawn her account”. It does not say that the account is overdrawn and Dr. H didn’t mention it in the link I just posted above, he just said “balance her checkbook”. Being a dad myself, I can’t help but believe the minute MH told her dad it was overdrawn, that he didn’t put money in it. Especially with her living an hour from home and going to the concert.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...ay+she+was+overdrawn&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Ghost, thank you for posting the links. Hopefully this will explain it for some.
As Ghost and MBlover mention, it's possible her account(s) were linked to her parent's.

It seems that there is a lot of dwelling here on Morgan's bank account or cell phone, yet the dwelling isn't helping find Morgan. If her phone worked, if she had money in the bank.. these are all should have could have would have things, and she IMO most likely had funds on her that night. It doesn't solve the case.

Even if she had money on her card, even if she had the best cell phone out there with perfect service & battery, if she trusted someone enough to get in the car with them (say a friend of a friend, acquaintance) neither the cell phone or the CCs would have helped change the scenario, especially if the perp is the one who tossed out her cell and purse.

IMO, it's pointless to dwell on the CCs overdrawn or not overdrawn account or cell phone as they may not have changed the outcome of the case if the possibility exists that Morgan got into the car with someone she at first trusted. Who would suspect a friend's friend of something horrible? Morgan seems like a very kind person who might give others the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, someone took advantage of her trust.

People will mention if her cell phone worked she could have made a call and prevented this whole thing.
However that may or may not be true. IF she got into the car with someone she either slightly knew or someone she met and trusted enough to get in the car with she wouldn't have seen anything bad coming and thus, she wouldn't have used the cell phone. Honestly, if she went off with someone she trusted, she wouldn't have needed her cell of CC's to alert anyone. If she had money on her or in the bank, yes she could have called a cab, or maybe got a new ticket, however maybe Morgan didn't want to. She was familiar with the area, Walker had mentioned, so possibly she was going to contact some local friends. This also explains why her friends didn't bring her keys and that she told them she'd find a ride.

Same thing applies with the credit cards. This case is being treated as a missing persons case. Apparently Morgan gave no signs to anyone that she was in trouble.
Thank God the purse was found tossed the next morning. That the purse was found like that is the kicker for possible foul play. IMO, the purse being found was able to push things into action a lot quicker.

Just want to offer the small correction that they were the last to see Morgan at her seat, but supposedly many people saw her after that (including those who have come forward willingly, those who have been revealed, and those who have not)...reinforces that what the friends have to say may not matter that much, especially if LE is right that she was abducted or willingly got into a car, unless, of course, the friends knew who she was going to meet.

Thank you Part Time Prof, i should have clarified that, however i assumed it would be obvious. As her friends were the last to see her that we know of that knew her personally. Witness accounts aside. =)

There has been a lot of discussion regarding MH’s car and what her dad said as it relates to her car being used that night. His initial comment was that Morgan’s car was not at the JPJ. Some folks thought that Sarah Sneed had lied to him. Below is a post I just ran across while doing a little Morgan surfing. It is from 12-29-09. This is from the family’s forum where Mr. H posts now and then to make or clear up a point. It is under the “Four went and two came back” heading. I had not seen this and find it interesting; but what’s more interesting is the fact that she asked him about buying gas for her friend’s car. There has been discussion here about Morgan’s checking account being overdrawn and about how she couldn’t buy a ticket to re-enter because she had no money that night. If that is the case, how was she going to pay for the gas? While you are pondering that; ponder this, LE has never revealed whether or not Morgan had a credit card. When asked at the first presser, they didn’t answer. We recently learned that she had a debit card in her purse that was found with her other belongings, but still no mention of a credit card. Could this post by Dr. Harrington lead us to believe that she did have money in her checking account, cash and/or a credit card that night? Something to consider… Link here;

http://www.findmorgan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1524&page=8

Morgan's Dad
just to clarify, i don't think anyone lied. I think I assumed. Prior to leaving roanoke, Morgan asked if she could buy gas for her friend to drive. Thus i assumed another car was driven. I did not ask if her car was driven or not, i assumed. It would not have mattered to me whether her car was driven to the concert or not. hope that helps. dan

As for Morgan asking friends to chip in for gas money, it seems perfectly natural thing to do even if Morgan had her own money on her.
When i was younger we would chip in for someone's gas if they were driving a distance and they would do the same for me, whether or not we had money on us (we usually did).

If the plan was for Morgans & friends to go to a party at JMU and we have Morgan going outside possibly to meet up with someone (maybe get a ride with him/her considering this theory). Morgan would be allowing her friends the usage of her car to get to JMU, considering that they drove a distance to the pick up SS, then the concert, then were to head back to JMU, asking for gas money makes complete sense. Gas is not cheap nowadays, they are college students.

You borrow a someone's car, then it is courteous to return it with at least the same amount of gas in it as when you borrowed it.

It could also be a possibility that Morgan had 2 CC's. Each hooked up to a different account. Maybe one that was to be used for building credit, school books, and the other one for everyday things and leisure.

A lot of people have more than one credit card. Perhaps her parents were teaching her how to build credit this way. Have the one used for school, emergencies, and building credit, and the other account and card for leisure and everyday living expenses.

There are a lot of possibilities, given they were going to a concert, most people don't go to a concert without money. There are tshirts, food, drinks at concerts. Not to mention if they had plans for afterwards.
Given what we know about Morgan and her family, IMO i'm sure she had money available to her if needed that night.

The lack of a working debit/credit card was first debated here since others were asking "why didn't she just buy another ticket"?? I don't think she had THAT much money on her.....she probably had case..that could buy a scalper's ticket but it would be expensive and she probably didn't have hundred/s to do that

I agree...none of this would have helped once she got in the vehicle....or was forced in the vehicle

I also agree that it is fruitless to moan about the "arena security">> all those people, all that noise...this is a heavy metal concert not a church social...
they can't let people back in period....they would have people give the stubs to others...there is no reason to "allow" re entry at all , that is common sense

also..Morgan was 20 not 5...this was a heavy metal concert...the security would have a riot if they tried to babysit the people there...if she was passed out or need an ambulance then I can see it

everything added together means nothing really..even finding the camera won't say much unless she took a picture of her "driver" and threw the camera out the window

I think this is one of the fairly rare but really hard to solve "no clue" type cases...it seems NO one actually saw whose vehicle she entered and no one knows where they took her

While I don't like the way the LE has dragged out putting out information...and I don't admire the "friends" for being so uninvolved....and I feel that her poor parents are sadly holding back info that might tarnish her memory....the fact is that NONE of that will find Morgan...so I can't blame the poor family for holding on to her memory..or her friends for not ruining their own reps and futures..
cause I don't think any of it would help

this is probably the sort of case that is a nightmare for the detectives...into "thin air".. no clues...no matter what she had/did/said/kissed/drank/smoked etc it doesn't lead to the identity of the person who drove away with her.

There is really no known area to search either...the perp could have gone in any direction for any number of miles. This is a sad cold case really , a sad night and some bad decisions that led to this for this beautiful sweet young woman JMO

If this has been discussed, I've missed it or forgotten about it...

Wonder if the RSO's in the area have been checked out by LE - especially the ones who in addition to being RSO's also have violent offenses or tendencies. Not saying that being a RSO isn't violent enough - but I'm talking about the ones who have taken it a step further.

In any investigation RSO are usually ground zero for a case like this. I would bet that there were checked out the first week. Although we have not heard anything to support that, we have not heard that LE has a POI either. Since that has not been said, I think we can draw the conclusion that the RSO were not involved. It’s been three months; we’d have heard something by now.

The lack of a working debit/credit card was first debated here since others were asking "why didn't she just buy another ticket"?? I don't think she had THAT much money on her.....she probably had case..that could buy a scalper's ticket but it would be expensive and she probably didn't have hundred/s to do that

Snipped by me...

Just to let you know the ticket booths/windows were open until about 9:30. The concert wasn’t sold out so scalpers couldn’t get hundreds of dollars. Certainly not picking a fight here and this post is done with all due respect. Your point about not buying another ticket however is a good one. Many folks are questioning why she just didn’t walk up to an outside ticket window and buy another one. I think she had the money but she didn’t do it because she had other plans that night which did not involve seeing the concert.

Snipped by me...

Just to let you know the ticket booths/windows were open until about 9:30. The concert wasn’t sold out so scalpers couldn’t get hundreds of dollars. Certainly not picking a fight here and this post is done with all due respect. Your point about not buying another ticket however is a good one. Many folks are questioning why she just didn’t walk up to an outside ticket window and buy another one. I think she had the money but she didn’t do it because she had other plans that night which did not involve seeing the concert.

Couple of points - JPJ Box Office Hours (per website) on Weekend Event Days begin 4 hours prior to event...doesn't say when it closes, but I recall reading that it closes at event start time, and it does say that for Weekday Event Days. See: http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/tickets.asp. So she may not have been able to buy another ticket after 8:48 (show start time was 7:00 p.m.). Strange policy if a show isn't sold out, imho, but there you have it.

Second, I've been thinking more about the car and parking. I've always assumed that whatever car the group drove from JMU/Harrisonburg was parked in the lot right next to JPJ (though not the garage), but that would have required advance purchase (which they may have done). If not, they would have had to park at the Emmet/Ivy garage, one way of which to reach is to walk through UHall, across Copeley Bridge, then left on Ivy...

See: http://www.jonesarena.com/documents/MetallicaParkingOptions.pdf

that is great info - thanks for that!! I wonder where they were parked?????

that is great info - thanks for that!! I wonder where they were parked?????

The feeling I got from reading the one eyewitness account of them arriving suggested to me it was out in the open, rather than in a garage (e.g., Emmet/Ivy), but I don't recall anything in particular that would definitely suggest that...

Respectfully snipped

Second, I've been thinking more about the car and parking. I've always assumed that whatever car the group drove from JMU/Harrisonburg was parked in the lot right next to JPJ (though not the garage), but that would have required advance purchase (which they may have done). If not, they would have had to park at the Emmet/Ivy garage, one way of which to reach is to walk through UHall, across Copeley Bridge, then left on Ivy...

Wonder where Waddles has been? Isn't she the one who had an "in" with DS, the girl who was mistaken for MH? Maybe this would be a question she could find the answer to - since DS and crew supposedly met up at or near MH's car with the others in MH's party after the concert.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/80632892.html

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/LOUI07_20100106-223206/315926/

A 26 year old woman, Kristan Fox, died at a hospital in Charlottesville after being found behind a McDonalds in Zion Crossroads which is between Charlottesville and Richmond off I-64.

"Fox, whose research focused on the criminal-justice system's impact on women and minorities, was 16 years old when she witnessed the violent deaths of her mother and stepfather in December 1999."

How horrible :(

The feeling I got from reading the one eyewitness account of them arriving suggested to me it was out in the open, rather than in a garage (e.g., Emmet/Ivy), but I don't recall anything in particular that would definitely suggest that...

I shared your info over at the findmorgan forums, hope you are ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*