Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point that LE should make best use of the resources they have. But I think it is important to realize that there is only so much that good logistics’ can achieve. If they had 100 people on standby then what would those people do the majority of the time they were not needed?

I'm sure they have a phone bank set up to field calls the people they take the information and pass it to the investigators. The investigators then prioritizes these based on what they feel is the likely hood of them 'bearing fruit" and they then start contacting people back. I agree that it should be easy to bring on temps or even volunteers to man the phones. But I have not heard anyone complain about not being able to get thru to them. The complaints are they have not been contacted back or not contacted in a timely manner. In order to have people to contact them back requires two important things:
1. They have to be professionally trained in investigation and interviewing witnesses.
2. They have to be "plugged-in" to everything that is going on with the case and be up to date on all the aspects of this.

Then there has to be further people to collect and analyze all this information in the big picture. While initially having these 100 people on call that can step in seems like an obvious simply solution, when you really stop and look at it I don't think it reasonable thing to think that in most, if not all areas, there are 100 people who are qualified to do this that can jump in at the drop of a hat. That is simply is not the case. It’s not like with a disaster where you need to people to hand out water or serve food, things almost any volunteer can do. To follow up leads they need trained professionals.

Beyond that if you assumed (in my opinion unrealistically) that these people where available it quickly becomes an issue of trying to manger something of this nature with people that have never worked together before. After a certain number of investigators additional people start to provide diminishing returns until the point where beyond a certain number of people there is no benefit to having more people.

And lastly you could say well we will make up the 100 by pulling in all the detectives from various agencies in the state. Well all those detective have cases, missing persons, murder investigations they are working on where they are. How can they just leave what they are doing? That would mean you are saying that Morgan is somehow more important than the many other people at any moment that are victims of violent crime and that’s not right. In going to the moon there is only one moon and you are only trying to go there a finite number of times. What needs to be understood is across this country there are hundreds of people (if not more) that go missing every day and there are thousands (if not more) people that are murdered very day we cannot stop everything to solve these cases and we can't stop everything just to solve any one of them.

In the world resources are always limited period no matter what b/c anyone who is doing one thing can't be doing something else. I hate what happened to Morgan and I too want it resolved yesterday, but no matter how we feel about it life on planet earth can't come to a screeching halt while we all look for her I wish it could but it can't. How could we look at one family and say we have to temporarily stop looking for your missing family member so the detectives can go look for this other person....we can't...or at least we shouldn't. There is only so much resource's that can be applied to this and we can all not like it, but we have to accept it.

If you want to talk about specifics that they are not doing right that’s fine I’m sure there are many. But I don’t think we can say that there doing it wrong all they have to do is X when doing X is not realistic.

All I am saying is maybe some of those resources were busy leading up to and on election day??????

My own daughter had called me on the same Monday when it was announced that Morgan was missing to tell me another girl was missing from Virginia Tech and the police were in the process of questioning her friends, etc. (My own daughter is in Radford, so close to where this is playing out). I had not asked her about it but once since then, but when I asked her yesterday when it just came back to me, she said that they were not going to find her. I asked why she said that? And she said "She was drunk and she probably fell into the river"...has this been discussed at all, the potential that she did in fact fall into the river while intoxicated? Or perhaps she may have fainted from the "accident" that caused the abrasian on her face? I don't know, but with my own daughter also a college student and in that vicinity it is certainly giving me much cause for worry. I hope they can find her soon and bring her home...and I hope that she will be safe and sound. God bless her parents.

My own daughter had called me on the same Monday when it was announced that Morgan was missing to tell me another girl was missing from Virginia Tech and the police were in the process of questioning her friends, etc. (My own daughter is in Radford, so close to where this is playing out). I had not asked her about it but once since then, but when I asked her yesterday when it just came back to me, she said that they were not going to find her. I asked why she said that? And she said "She was drunk and she probably fell into the river"...has this been discussed at all, the potential that she did in fact fall into the river while intoxicated? Or perhaps she may have fainted from the "accident" that caused the abrasian on her face? I don't know, but with my own daughter also a college student and in that vicinity it is certainly giving me much cause for worry. I hope they can find her soon and bring her home...and I hope that she will be safe and sound. God bless her parents.
Unfortunately, this has always been what I have leaned more towards what happened to her. :(

Unfortunately, this has always been what I have leaned more towards what happened to her. :(

I wouldn't rule it out, either. Especially since her being intoxicated would explain a lot of the aspects of this case that have been so puzzling (leaving JPJ, purse, etc.)

For those more familiar with the area, how easy would it be to "fall into the river"? TIA.

In these cases it seems slow for such news to come out to US, but we have to remember it is not just "notify the parents", even if this is a true report. They in turn need time to notify aunts, uncles, grandparents, close friends etc. and reaching a lot of people who need to know before such an announcement hits the media can take time. Each of those people would need to talk a bit with the family for all of their own peace of mind, comfort and support. It is a time consuming process, and depending on how large of an extended family exists, it could take hours.

jmoo

Not sure about there, but here, LE is not obligated to inform other relatives, only the parents. It's up to the parents to inform whoever else they need to. LE does allow them time to do this, however, before making it public. They will sometimes have a victim's advocate to help make those calls.

I wouldn't rule it out, either. Especially since her being intoxicated would explain a lot of the aspects of this case that have been so puzzling (leaving JPJ, purse, etc.)

For those more familiar with the area, how easy would it be to "fall into the river"? TIA.

First you would have to travel from JPJ to the river ... 2-3 miles north or 2-3 miles east

Thanks. Are there any riverside parks or easy ingress areas?

Hummm not to start an argument but aren't you the one..further up..to far for me to look back that gave me the "lecture" on there only being so many LE and what did I expect. So I took that "lecture" and wrapped it up in my arms and all of a sudden I looked down and thought...hum...he is right there are only so many LE and with the politicians and polling places..they must have been busy. But today they have recovered enough to organize searches and look into all the tips that have been pouring in?????

Was I wrong..did I misunderstand you...should I find your quote and..remind you. lol

Edit: Deleted for being unreasonable mean sounding sorry i'm 'discussing' with you in a manner I would with a friend who knows me and knows that i like to make sarcastic remarks without intending to be mean, but it is not right for me to do that publicly with some one i don't know. I'm wrong to do that and i'm sorry. We don't agree with you a lot, but I'm wrong all the time so that doesn't mean anything. Do don't want to be disrespectful to you. I do lecture for whatever reason that the way I like to debate I don't mean to be mean spirited with it.

I don’t think that the election did not effect the investigation because they have a ton of extra resources (I.e. enough to pull in 100 extra detectives at the drop of the hat). Its because the demanded on the resource of the state police, at least in the type of people that are working this case is so minor that it at most sets them back one day (and I think not even that)

I don't find it contradictory that I think there are not 100 extra detectives sitting around that can be called in at the drop of the hat, but that I also think that LE was not putting this case on the Back burner just because there was an election. There is elections all the time does anything else "take a back seat" b/c there is an election of course this is a matter of opinion and what you think is taking a back seat but my answer is, at least where I live, nothing of any significance "takes a back seat" to elections. So in your logic this some how equates to because I think this I must also think LE must have unlimited resource‘s, but personally I don't see it this way.

If you think that either elections cause important cases to be put on the back burner OR LE can easily pull in 100 extra investigators at the drop of a hat so be it. I personally don't find it contradictory that:

1. An election does not require significant enough resources from LE to the point where missing persons cases are put on the back burner for two and a half weeks.

2. AND that LE does not have the resources to assign 100 additional detectives to Morgan case and the they don't have what is considered Inordinate resources so that manpower isn't an issue for them.

Please link to some information the shows where the Virginia State Police detectives/investigators are responsible for protecting specific politicians leading up and during elections that they don't protect 365 days a year. I bet you can't do that b/c I bet they don't do that. Also where is it listed what the Virginia state police responsibilities are during a local election b/c surely you are not accusing them of malfeasance and incompetence without have looked up what their election responsibilities are so that you could formulate your theory that this election has drain their resources so much that it has significantly effected this case.

As far as the search you are saying they didn't do anything about searching till today (because they had tactical teams of detectives guarding Billy-Bob Clampit running for assessor of some Podunk town), but today they started to get to work they planned out this search on an old tip....THEN.....had a nationally televised press conference where they did not mention this search AT ALL but they did mention other searches planned in the future....THEN....less than 2 hours later tons of LE are you on site doing a search. If you think this is what happen fine I can't prove your wrong. Just in my opinion think your wrong.

All I am saying is maybe some of those resources were busy leading up to and on election day??????

ok this is possible but how much did this effect the case and for how long I read your post to imply it was not a minor effect.

Hey guys - Sorry to get on so late and miss all the news. On my way home from work I drove by all the sites and reported to my friend who was then posting on FB so I think you got all the details from the search, but let me know if you have any specific questions. I rode around the area for a quite a while looking around. I then went to Keswick and down by Gordonsville to familiarize myself with the area.

We are planning to be a part of the search this weekend. I will try to keep everyone posted about what we see and do. Anyone else planning to go this weekend?

2uj1qtx.jpg

Copeley Bridge over the tracks looking back towards the University Hall/Parking. John Paul Jones Arena is behind the UHall.

Hey guys - Sorry to get on so late and miss all the news. On my way home from work I drove by all the sites and reported to my friend who was then posting on FB so I think you got all the details from the search, but let me know if you have any specific questions. I rode around the area for a quite a while looking around. I then went to Keswick and down by Gordonsville to familiarize myself with the area.

We are planning to be a part of the search this weekend. I will try to keep everyone posted about what we see and do. Anyone else planning to go this weekend?
That is kind of you, secret agent mom, to lend your time for the search. Good luck and my thoughts are with you all.

uHallAndAthleticFields2006.gif

1(E1) Arena Parking2(D4) Artificial Turf Field 3(C4) The Cage 4(B2) Davenport Field at the U.Va. Baseball Stadium
5(B4) Dynamics Building (2015 Ivy Road)6(C5) Emmet/Ivy Parking Garage7(E2) John Paul Jones Arena8(C1) Klöckner Stadium
9(B2) Lannigan Field10(E3) McCue Center, Frank C. 11(C3) Onesty Hall 12(D3) University Hall

http://www.virginia.edu/webmap/FUHallAndAthletic.html

SaM

You've made me mad

not really

i was joking

at one point this afternoon someone briefly posted on the FB page that a body was hound. the post was quickly deleted and as the hours have ticket by It seem more and more likely that this was not true but i was wondering if you had any input. also did you have any feeling as to why this search came up seemingly suddenly and do you know if they are still searching, this search is over, or they are done searching for the night but will go back in the morning?

Oh ya did not get any feeling one way or the other as to whether it was a Rescue vs. recovery type search as there was some debate on this here this afternoon.

EDIT:TIA

I was nodding my head in agreement (an ahhhh moment if you will) but then remembered about the missing phone battery. I am interested in hearing how it would logically fit in this scenario.
Not doubting/questioning, like I said I was sold on the falling into the river, but I can not let the missing phone battery go:)
Unless she got mad and threw it.....

SaM

You've made me mad

not really

i was joking

at one point this afternoon someone briefly posted on the FB page that a body was hound. the post was quickly deleted and as the hours have ticket by It seem more and more likely that this was not true but i was wondering if you had any input. also did you have any feeling as to why this search came up seemingly suddenly and do you know if they are still searching, this search is over, or they are done searching for the night but will go back in the morning?

Oh ya did not get any feeling one way or the other as to whether it was a Rescue vs. recovery type search as there was some debate on this here this afternoon.

EDIT:TIA

I don't think anything was found. I was originally told that there were "all kinds of LE cars and vans" at Comfort Inn. I got there about 30 minutes after the search started and there were two vans/SUVs packing up. At the other location behind State Farm I saw a few LE officers, but not many. I spoke to someone with a relative in LE and she said they only had one dog...that didn't seem like much of a search to me. The woods are dense and there is at least three miles of woods on that road....not to mention the construction site where the new hospital is being built.

I also heard that this search took place because of a "reliable tip". I am not sure what constitutes a reliable tip. In my opinion it would be very difficult to get to that area to dispose of a body or hide someone. There are no roads directly to the area and the only way I could see into the area was to go through the State Farm parking lot.

The search was completely called off by the time I drove by at 5:15 or so. There was a news crew there, but nothing else. I think the search only lasted about three hours...at the most.

I think it was recovery and not rescue at all...just from what I have heard. That is why I was so confused when I read that LE was now saying that it was not foul play. This area is not a logical place to go from JPJ - it is out of the way, I think. I can't imagine why a college student would be in that area. It is mostly offices, hospital/doctors' offices, retirement home...not a happening place if you know what I mean.

Sorry for the long post. I haven't talked about this all night so I have lots of thoughts running through my mind.

I should also say this is MOO. :)

I can't find the post where you started talking about the river and Copeley Bridge, but I just want to clarify that Copeley Bridge goes over train tracks and not over a river. There isn't water near the area where she was last seen. I apologize if this has been stated or if I am misunderstanding the last few posts. I am trying to catch up...and I always hate it when someone posts without reading everything first. Shame on me for doing what I hate! :blushing:

I think it was recovery and not rescue at all...just from what I have heard. That is why I was so confused when I read that LE was now saying that it was not foul play. This area is not a logical place to go from JPJ - it is out of the way, I think.

THe no foul paly thing was from a reporter not directly from LE and it is so different from everything else we have heard that I personally am skeptical of it till it is confirmed. It think in the contexts maybe the police told the reported they did not suspect the friends of foul play and either the reporter misunderstood or mis-spoke when relaying the information.

I think they were looking for a dump site and not somewhere they thought she ended up of her own free will so maybe that would explain they odd area. On media account said that they were searching storage shed so one possible theory I have is someone they are looking at as possibly involve may have some connection to that area maybe even owns a storage shed there. as always just an opinion.

I was nodding my head in agreement (an ahhhh moment if you will) but then remembered about the missing phone battery. I am interested in hearing how it would logically fit in this scenario.
Not doubting/questioning, like I said I was sold on the falling into the river, but I can not let the missing phone battery go:)
Unless she got mad and threw it.....

Maybe the battery died and she got mad. It would explain why there was only one call to her friends

Melissa

So....she did have an injury. Tried to get back in at more than 1 gate...and none of the security people tried to help her? Find out what happened? No first aid station at the concert? Her "friends" never left their seats to try and help her? Afterwards, drove HER car home without her and what?? Went to bed?? With friends like this, Morgan didn't need enemies!! :furious:

And her parents defend these "friends"? "Friends" who wouldn't even get off their pampered hineys and give Morgan her keys so she would have someplace safe to wait?? Didn't go to the gate to check on her? Try and help her get back in?? :banghead:

And now?? Oh, that's right...Morgans mom says these girls are missing Morgan but need to go to class and get on with their lives....alrighty then! Missing "friends" can be such a bother. spit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member