VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Penn State where freshman engineering majors are jokingly referred to as pre-business. The math and science classes are extremely challenging to "weed out" those who would not be able to hack it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so thankful all five of our children are grown and all are very decent moral children.

I know I must live my life in a bubble for I have never even heard of these sites before until this case happened. I didn't know there were apps which would let someone upload photos on the sites but they aren't shown on the cell phone.

Its like all of these sites condone promiscuity, lies, exaggerations, secretiveness, and cover ups. Shudder! If these children think it is acceptable to do this now how will they be when they get married and are suppose to be trustworthy?

I really don't think this case will stop the next predator who lures another child. I wish it would cause the parents and children to stop and think about the dangers. I think there are many more Nicoles out there right now being lured by another predator. I honestly don't see it getting any better. I have seen kids on FB brag about all the ways to fool their parents when it comes to their online activities. They seem to be proud that they know how to deceive them.

Well, the interesting thing is, over the last 60 years this kind of crime hasn't risen. Where there are perps, there are victims. It doesn't matter at all what kind of technology you have or don't have. Where there are people wanting to have sex with kids, that will happen at the same rate it has been for generations. Only the details with the mode of delivery has changed.

It could actually be argued that the rate of adult sex with children has dropped dramatically, because back in the day it was embarrassing and shameful for the child to speak out. And back in the day, the punishment was MUCH less harsh.

Forgive me. But your site is a business. Now if illegal activities occur on your site. Then that's on you for not monitoring your site for illegal activities. Jmo. You can't have a site for young teens looking to hook up while letting adults coerce these teens. Jmo.

That stuff is against the law. Jmo

How is the site to know how old a person is? Most of them ask your birthday, very few tell the truth on that question.. How would they get proof of the date?

The family should sue every website that didn't monitor the explicit messages between the 2. Jmo. Especially since the girl was only 13 and her responses from sites were from men or dam near men. Jmo

The age difference is illegal and the sites should have known the conversation between the two on per site was illegal as well. Jmo

How is the site to know how old a person is? Most of them ask your birthday, very few tell the truth on that question.. How would they get proof of the date?

I feel the same way, but with cases like this one, it often comes down to self esteem and awareness on behalf of family and friends. I'm NOT laying blame anywhere but with her murderers. However, there were 3+ adults living in that apartment with Nicole and not a one knew of any of this (and it wasn't hard to find). Maybe they didn't know about kik, but googling her name brought up her IG and that would have told you enough right there.

:yeahthat:

This sweet young girl was depressed, starving for social acceptance, love and companionship. More than a few times (on IG) she mentions killing herself and no one caring about it. She was screaming for attention to fill some void in her young life. Sadly, she wasn't proud and able to stand up strong as a true survivor several times over. She wasn't able to transfer her scars into strength and to wear them as proof of how hard she fought to be alive and didn't know she was such a gift to the world. She didn't seem to know how much the life she fought for was truly worth. She fought for her life, yet lacked the self worth to tell some lame guys (or mean girls) that they weren't worthy of her time or her heart. Sadly, instead of getting to work through all those tough teenage lessons, she was exploited as a target long before she could understand how precious her life really was.

Tragic that anyone who followed her IG didn't speak out to someone about her posts. Tragic that with all those siblings, family members, etc., that no one took a moment to check her social media (to snoop or to be involved in her life). They would have easily seen the trouble she was having. Someone should have seen how she really felt on the inside, behind that bubbly, sweet face she put on for them. Deep down she likely wanted someone to know, she didn't even try to hide it. :sigh:

God bless Nicole's family and friends. If there is a young woman in your life, reach out. A simple, random act of kindness may make the difference in the confidence that girl wakes up with to meet the harsh world. It takes a village.

After reading today's revelations, that he killed her to prevent her from disclosing their inappropriate relationship, I'd have to say he wouldn't necessarily have had any signs from his past that he might commit murder. It seems clear they DID have an inappropriate relationship, and now he's in panic mode and doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison. That's a rational motive for murder, as sad as it is for Nicole. Doubly sad.

If this were a thrill killing, I agree there should have been HUGE warning signs before. It appears this is a self-defense killing, after he had a very inappropriate relationship.

I still don't get Natalie's involvement, at all.

Many murderers never have red flags in their background before they commit the ultimate act of homicide. So he is no different. The capability was there all along imo.

I respectfully disagree. There are no rational motives to plot out and then commit first degree murder. Never have I heard... even a defense attorney... say murder was the rational way to solve a problem.

It is obvious this wasn't a crime of passion that came out of the blue. LE said even NKs part in this began Jan 4th and ended the day she was murdered. That is a long thought out premeditated plan to eradicate a minor who got in his way.

It makes the murder of Nicole even more heinous to me that he thought so much of himself that murdering another innocent human being meant nothing to him. It really shows how self centered and narcissistic he truly is. She was good enough to have a sexual relationship with until she was going to expose who he really was to everyone. He didn't mind statutorily raping her but he didn't want anyone to know it. That is not a self defense motive. That is a cold blooded calculated murder to eradicate a human being who didn't deserve it.

I hope Nicole wasn't pregnant with his baby. But if she was, I hope that VA has enhancement laws like Indiana is putting on the murderer of pregnant Amanda Blackburn.

I find him arrogant, cruel, and a self centered brat. All that mattered to him was himself.

Shouldn't the families be monitoring what their minor children are doing on the internet?

In a perfect world, yes. In reality, it's easier said than done. It's easy to have a Facebook app on the phone that's "Mom and Dad friendly" and still create another secret FB profile that one accesses via web browser. There are also ways to hide apps so they don't appear on the home screen of devices (parents would have to go into device settings and scroll through them there). There are, I believe, certain apps that one can download that allow you to hide apps, photos and folders.

That's just the technical side. Then there's the fact that kids (even good kids) can be sneaky and secretive. They think they're invincible.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm very wary of the suggestion that parents, in general, can prevent this type of thing from happening. There are steps that parents can take to help protect their child, certain rules and boundaries. However, I believe that no parent, no matter how diligent, watchful, open, and tech-savvy, is immune to this type of tragedy. JMO

The St. Paul's School rape case comes to mind ONLY because Owen Labrie "was convicted of a felony charge and four misdemeanors: the most serious count being the use of an online service or the Internet to seduce, solicit or entice a child under age 16 in order to a commit sexual assault..."

While SA has not been confirmed (as far as I know) but is it possible the language used between DE and NL have been suggestive enough that sex was implied? *Just thinking aloud here (and I'm not sure I've completed all my thinking ;)) but wondering if this same charge can be brought against DE?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/28/us/new-hampshire-prep-rape-trial/

Shouldn't the families be monitoring what their minor children are doing on the internet?

Hmmm...let me think...YES!!!! Some responsible adult in the child/tween/teen's life should at least be checking in on any Social Media accounts, be a follower or friend them. Make some effort as a responsible adult over a minor child to know what they are up to for the endless hours spend on their phones texting, Facebook posting, Instagramming or any other kind of apps. What profiles do they have set up? What apps are on their phones? Check texts thru the cell phone carriers.

For crying out loud at least make some effort to protect these young people from themselves. You don't have to be nosey and nagging, but be you can be involved and present. They will thank you later when these news stories about their own friends and classmates scare the hell out of them! At least they might be around to be scared!

:gaah:

:yeahthat:

This sweet young girl was depressed, starving for social acceptance, love and companionship. More than a few times (on IG) she mentions killing herself and no one caring about it. She was screaming for attention to fill some void in her young life. Sadly, she wasn't proud and able to stand up strong as a true survivor several times over. She wasn't able to transfer her scars into strength and to wear them as proof of how hard she fought to be alive and didn't know she was such a gift to the world. She didn't seem to know how much the life she fought for was truly worth. She fought for her life, yet lacked the self worth to tell some lame guys (or mean girls) that they weren't worthy of her time or her heart. Sadly, instead of getting to work through all those tough teenage lessons, she was exploited as a target long before she could understand how precious her life really was.

Tragic that anyone who followed her IG didn't speak out to someone about her posts. Tragic that with all those siblings, family members, etc., that no one took a moment to check her social media (to snoop or to be involved in her life). They would have easily seen the trouble she was having. Someone should have seen how she really felt on the inside, behind that bubbly, sweet face she put on for them. Deep down she likely wanted someone to know, she didn't even try to hide it. :sigh:

God bless Nicole's family and friends. If there is a young woman in your life, reach out. A simple, random act of kindness may make the difference in the confidence that girl wakes up with to meet the harsh world. It takes a village.

I agree with you, but I don't think she was actually suicidal. That's not what caused her to die - she was murdered by a man who apparently believed she was about to cause him to go to prison for the rest of his life, because he had an inappropriate relationship with her.

This is such a sad, sad case.

I'm not sure I'd automatically equate DE's "helping" NK with math homework with "tutoring." My college age son has a group of classmates that get together. It's more of a study group, and yes, sometimes they'll do homework together. Tutoring, to me, is a more formal arrangement (free or paid). I know I'm splitting hairs and its just my opinion...

Great point. At my daughter's college, you can sign up to receive free tutoring help from fellow students. The standards for this are very high, and the University tests the potential tutors to make sure they are qualified. They are also paid by the University for this service, so many kids who are exceptionally bright in a particular area will choose to sign up to do this as a way to make some money. A student who's struggling can choose this route, or choose to pay a seasoned teacher/grad student for $$/hr.

Don't know if VT has something like this in place, and not sure if a freshman would even qualify, but thought I'd throw it in the realm of possibilities.

There's been no mainstream confirmation or insinuation of a motive by law enforcement or police or press.

The info referenced below isn't considered a MSM source.

The article above about disclosing the relationship is dated today, 507pm. It's the first I've seen of it, officially.

I agree with you, but I don't think she was actually suicidal. That's not what caused her to die - she was murdered by a man who apparently believed she was about to cause him to go to prison for the rest of his life, because he had an inappropriate relationship with her.

This is such a sad, sad case.

No, threatening suicide didn't get her killed, but being sad and desperate for attention lead her to talking to older guys, and she finally got in touch with the wrong one. And honestly there were a lot of unsavory characters she was in touch with. Every last one of them could be a pedophile and/or a murderer. At best they are opportunists with no scruples.

Just throwing this out there...

DE's family moved from WA clear across the country to MD around his junior year in high school. That's a tough time to uproot a teen with aspirations of going to college and all the pressures of the junior and senior year, SAT's, AP classes, college applications, finding someone to write rec. letters, etc. I wonder why the move? Was it a job transfer or could something have happens in WA with DE? If he had a troubled past as a juvenile would those records follow him to MD?

It just strikes me as odd to kill someone and there not be any signs from his past.

We wouldn't really know about his past though as a juvenile though, would we?

She supposedly told her dorm mate immediately....has it been decided that that was hair in the photo of her face? Or, was it a cut? I read that her high school boyfriend said that she saw a therapist for self-harm issues. JMO

Where did you read that?

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but as for the nature of the inappropriate relationship and why he might be so desparate to conceal it, it's possible that the relationship was not physical but still intimate. If he had induced her to send explicit photos or videos, for example, he could still be facing some serious criminal charges with long-term conquences if she exposed the relationship.

Parents need to know how to check history on the phones and computers, not just go to known FB pages, etc...this is the only way I can think of to discover unknown pages. And even learn to pull up deleted history if necessary. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en