VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe her. There's not a school system under the sun, that's going to admit to that under these circumstances. ( Because what is he going to say? "Oh yeah, I remember that now. I forgot to follow up though."?).

Poor kid. It's going to be tough going forward knowing her school staff is lying about her.

In the case of my son, we had to evoke the freedom of information act, to get his records. When they finally complied, we got a total dummy file!. Not one word about any of the violent incidents. Not one!

My son had been seeing the school counselor twice a week for the whole yr. No mention of that at all. I went to the man's office to ask him why his records were not in the file, and he said he hadn't had time to get them together.

He then sent a statement to my attorney saying he had never seen my son for counseling !

I had saved one piece of paper, the copy of the release of information form, I signed so my son could see him, and they still denied that he had ever had counseling in that school!
I agree with you! I believe this girl, 100%. Poor kid. She probably heard what happened and immediately recalled doing the right thing by telling an adult. Now the adults failed her and failed Nicole, sadly. And there's not a single chance that adult is going to admit it. I have to say, I feel for the adult, too. We all know what it's like to be super busy and drop the ball. BUT, I have worked with children for years, and I don't think I could ever drop the ball on something so serious.

This tragedy is far-reaching. :(

[h=1]Hundreds attend visitation for 13 year old Nicole Lovell [/h]

[video=youtube;UEfzlD8dggI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfzlD8dggI[/video]

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but as for the nature of the inappropriate relationship and why he might be so desparate to conceal it, it's possible that the relationship was not physical but still intimate. If he had induced her to send explicit photos or videos, for example, he could still be facing some serious criminal charges with long-term conquences if she exposed the relationship.

Yes, or maybe HE had sent her photos. Teens have an acute, viseral response to embarrassment or the threat of being embarrassed. It's hard enough freshman year to move away and make new friends and find that right balance of recreation and study, let alone face all that self-doubt/homesickness we all go through. Could he have found out her age with the help of Natalie sluething, and gone into a bit of flight or fight himself?

Maybe 13 years olds are savvy enough nowadays to throw the "you're 18 and a legal adult and I'm going to expose you", but I'll bet that's not the case here. Nicole was apparently sharing "David, her 18 yo boyfriend" with neighbors and classmates. She didn't share it with her MOM, because she knew she wouldn't approve, not (imo) because she knew the legal ramifications. I don't get the sense that she had had sex with David either, jmo.

A couple of random things are bothering me:

1) Nicole pushing furniture across the doorway to prevent anymore from entering her room. I am really perplexed by this one. Would love to know if she had ever blocked a doorway before. If so, maybe it's a coping method for her -- an exclamation point on her inner self screaming "leave me alone". If not, it's as if she was buying herself more time in climbing back into bed, just incase they discover her door being blocked in the exact moments she's climbing back through her window.

2) Taking her blanket -- Was she properly dressed that evening? If she had a coat on, why bring a blanket? Was it for warmth, security, luck? Was this something she always slept with, and was hopeful that she might have a sleepover with her boyfriend?

I agree with you! I believe this girl, 100%. Poor kid. She probably heard what happened and immediately recalled doing the right thing by telling an adult. Now the adults failed her and failed Nicole, sadly. And there's not a single chance that adult is going to admit it. I have to say, I feel for the adult, too. We all know what it's like to be super busy and drop the ball. BUT, I have worked with children for years, and I don't think I could ever drop the ball on something so serious.

This tragedy is far-reaching. :(

What that girl was telling him had "potential sexual predator" all over it. I can not give this guy a pass on this one. Most likely he was not even listening, or taking her seriously which is his job. At least he could man-up and support this girl. Doesn't even say, "I don't remember that ", insists it never happened . (that was the red herring for me).

I've been following this closely and it all makes me so sad. This was the school I went to 30 years ago and then I lived in the area before returning to Northern Virginia a few years after graduation. It's beautiful there and I never ever felt unsafe, though I was young and stupid and often walked around by myself at night, as did many of my friends.

I knew many Engineering majors (including my brother) and even many more ex-Engineering majors, lol. My two closest friends started out in Engineering and ended up in Accounting and Biology. It wouldn't surprise me that a student would need a math tutor, or extra help, whatever NK was getting from DA, freshman year. That's typically 5 hour Calculus and one of the prime weeder classes. The professors in the weeder classes were famous for telling the students to look around--the person to the right and left of them would not be there by Spring. That's not to say that the students were anything less than very smart kids who had to have had stellar grades and SAT scores or they wouldn't have gotten in in the first place. It's a top 25 Engineering school and very hard to get into, especially for certain geographical areas.

Maybe she had a crush on him and that played into her needing math help from him. Maybe he was aware of her feelings and knew she would help him with whatever happened with NL. I have no idea, just waiting to see what might come out in those social media communications. I wonder if NK was first described as a Sophomore because she had enough AP credits to classify her as a Sophomore by mid-year. That's not uncommon. If someone just looked at her in the system it would say "Sophomore" based on number of credits.

Is it possible that he killed her for something as simple (and awful) and just being embarrassed that he was involved with a 13 year old? That he didn't want his peers to know?

I don't know. Just one of the many, many possibilities, I guess.

At this point I am leaning toward this theory. I think NK might have become involved just to "troll" her. This is more horrific every day.

What that girl was telling him had "potential sexual predator" all over it. I can not give this guy a pass on this one. Most likely he was not even listening, or taking her seriously which is his job. At least he could man-up and support this girl. Doesn't even say, "I don't remember ", insists it never happened . (that was the red herring for me).
I agree. I think this is a really big deal! I'm finding myself pretty worked up right now! I'm so upset on behalf of this girl, who went against everything that's "cool" in middle school, and went straight to a grown-up because she cared. I'm just broken for Nicole.

I couldn't get on board with a lawsuit against Kik, but I do think the school bears some responsibility. I just know that person isn't going to own up to not following through out of fear of lawsuits.

Ok someone tell me what the two fingers by the nose in a semi peace sign but obviously not meant as a peace sign means? It's flashed in many photos and not just by NL. Idk maybe I don't want to know.

ETA: yea figured it out, and yea I didn't need to know. I have a 13 and 10 year old. I would die if they did this.

After hearing people at the school knew (adults, that is) I go back and forth. As a teacher I would take that VERY seriously. But what could I do about it? I would tell my school resource officer (police assigned to the school). And then what? Would I know the outcome? What could I reasonably expect the officer to do?

And then I think...I would contact guidance, I would talk to that officer, I would contact the parent, and I would talk to the child. We would have a serious discussion or guidance would. I hope, hope, hope that a grownup didn't drop the ball. It is VERY hard for kids to come forward about these things. That poor middle school girl absolutely did the right thing and I can't help but feel that the adults failed her.

None of us can be perfect. But I would hate to be the school employee that knew about this. Talk about guilt...

Ok someone tell me what the two fingers by the nose in a semi peace sign but obviously not meant as a peace sign means? It's flashed in many photos and not just by NL. Idk maybe I don't want to know.

It's just a "cute" pose a lot of kids do trying to be cool. It doesn't mean anything that I'm aware of.

ETA: yea figured it out, and yea I didn't need to know. I have a 13 and 10 year old. I would die if they did this.

What does it mean - or, where can I find out?

It's just a "cute" pose a lot of kids do trying to be cool. It doesn't mean anything that I'm aware of.

It actually does. I looked it up. Everything with teens has a meaning.

I agree. I think this is a really big deal! I'm finding myself pretty worked up right now! I'm so upset on behalf of this girl, who went against everything that's "cool" in middle school, and went straight to a grown-up because she cared. I'm just broken for Nicole.

I couldn't get on board with a lawsuit against Kik, but I do think the school bears some responsibility. I just know that person isn't going to own up to not following through out of fear of lawsuits.

Totally feeling the same. I hope this youngster get a ton of public support and praise for what she tried to do. I would love for her to know the whole world sees that she is not the "liar" in this situation.

Our good friend Marc Klaas is my next guest on True Crime Radio. He'll specifically discuss Nicole's case.

Also, Kim Goldman joins us to discuss how the new mini-series The People vs O.J Simpson has affected her and her father Fred Goldman.

For all the show info (it's now pre-recorded) and to post any questions CLICK HERE

Think I missed something... had Nicole confided in a counselor? What did I miss? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay