VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! There are so many theories about the "whys" in this horrible crime. I find it hard to believe a guy would kill a young girl because "she was going to expose their relationship." The article mentioning this theory came out before the COD was revealed, so it is a few days old.

I do not feel there is a plausible reason why either accused perpetrated this murder, at least not to anyone who would ever be prone to kill someone over such a flimsy excuse. In other words, there were already very serious issues that defined DE's behavior as abnormal, making it impossible for a sane person to understand his motives.

The article above about disclosing the relationship is dated today, 507pm. It's the first I've seen of it, officially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! There are so many theories about the "whys" in this horrible crime. I find it hard to believe a guy would kill a young girl because "she was going to expose their relationship." The article mentioning this theory came out before the COD was revealed, so it is a few days old.

I do not feel there is a plausible reason why either accused perpetrated this murder, at least not to anyone who would ever be prone to kill someone over such a flimsy excuse. In other words, there were already very serious issues that defined DE's behavior as abnormal, making it impossible for a sane person to understand his motives.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. If a college student is having some sort of inappropriate relationship with a 13 year old and it comes out, it could result in all kind of negative consequences for this college student.

If he murdered her because she was going to expose their relationship then it reminds me so much of the Naval Cadet case where both the female and male cadets were involved. With NKs being charged with before the murder crime I think she helped him setup Nicole so he could murder her.

If so, how horribly cruel of both of them.

IMO

I'm still a bit behind on the thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

i think that NK must have a hidden Facebook account. Her public account has her family, a few friends who don't seem particularly close, and not much else. She either is the rare teen that doesn't use FB much, or that isn't her main account.

I'm a VT alum, so this case has an extra layer of disturbing for me. Why does something awful happen there every year? It is such a wonderful place and a very supportive school. Even though it is a large state university, it never feels large or isolating.

I'm still a bit behind on the thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

i think that NK must have a hidden Facebook account. Her public account has her family, a few friends who don't seem particularly close, and not much else. She either is the rare teen that doesn't use FB much, or that isn't her main account.

I'm a VT alum, so this case has an extra layer of disturbing for me. Why does something awful happen there every year? It is such a wonderful place and a very supportive school. Even though it is a large state university, it never feels large or isolating.

I grew up there, went to RU, worked in Bourg the day of the massacre. I just love my hometown, and it breaks my heart every time this happens and people talk. It's such a wonderful beautiful place. You never feel unsafe in town or on campus. I grew up running around campus and going to the Record Exchange, the art stores, etc. I've lived and traveled in such trashy nasty unsafe high crime areas, it kills me that these things keep happening in the NRV!!!

Could be an account with a fake name.

The article above about disclosing the relationship is dated today, 507pm. It's the first I've seen of it, officially.

How sad. I said earlier she meant nothing to either of them. He lured her, used her by statutorily raping her, then when she got in his way... he killed her.:(

Tears come to my eyes because all Nicole ever wanted was to be loved by someone who really wanted her and she was so betrayed in the end by a self centered narcissist that only cared about himself.:(

Nancy Grace has a good point..surveillance cameras! Remember all the video of Hannah Graham? I'm sure VT has a lot..and the apartment complex. WOW

Will prosecutors spill any of their evidence during the bond hearing tomorrow?? I hope so

I'm not sure what to make of LE now claiming they suspect an inappropriate relationship between DE and NL.

If it was "inappropriate" but restricted to social media, then it seems highly unlikely that NL "exposing" the relationship was going to matter to DE.

If it was an inappropriate physical relationship --- then when was this relationship manifesting itself? And where? This was a girl who needed daily medication for a liver transplant. It seems unlikely that she was regularly sneaking out of the house for long periods.

I also don't think NL's social media posting sounds like a 13 year old that's having a relationship with an 18 year old. She sounds desperate to connect, rather than sounding like she's already connected.

There must be some remarkable evidence that hasn't come to light yet.

I'm guessing here, but before they charge with SA I bet they want to make sure they have a STRONG case.

Agreed.

The thought that Nicole might have become pregnant has been mentioned here before, I believe. Or she could have feared that was the case and told DE. I keep thinking about that possibility now...thinking too about how it has been reported that an autopsy report will not be issued for a while (and we don't know if, even then, details will be made public).

I wonder, too, in that situation, if DE might have done some kind of confiding in or seeking guidance from NK -- perhaps even asking her to "talk to" NL -- might be part of the scenario of NK's involvement.

All theoretical, all JMO.

From WRAL:

Kik Messenger app scrutinized following 13-year-old's death

ATLANTA — Kik Messenger, a smartphone app popular among younger teens, is on the defensive following the stabbing death of a 13-year-old girl in Virginia who told friends she was using Kik to connect with an 18-year-old man.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/kik-messenger-a...ear-old-s-death/15316003/#ElHJUM0T7TbGhtML.99

Read more at http://www.wral.com/kik-messenger-a...ear-old-s-death/15316003/#ElHJUM0T7TbGhtML.99

I don't find that hard to imagine at all. He is an adult and she is a minor and any sexual relationship is rape. Nicole was a bit dramatic and perhaps made some threats. He took them very seriously and enlisted a friend who also took them seriously. They concocted a terrible plan to deal with the situation. Makes perfect sense to me.

I went to Penn State where freshman engineering majors are jokingly referred to as pre-business. The math and science classes are extremely challenging to "weed out" those who would not be able to hack it

My nephew is a math professor to many engineering students at a branch of Penn St. Believe me, he is amazed at how many of his students can't make it in freshman calculus.

Also, teens really don't use FB much. And Instagram is almost like performance art. None of it is real at all.

Well, do these SM sites have moderators who read every post/message? I have never heard of such a thing. I find it disgusting as well, but not sure I'd blame the website.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but parents are 100% responsible for the online actions of their kids.

I am so thankful all five of our children are grown and all are very decent moral children.

I know I must live my life in a bubble for I have never even heard of these sites before until this case happened. I didn't know there were apps which would let someone upload photos on the sites but they aren't shown on the cell phone.

Its like all of these sites condone promiscuity, lies, exaggerations, secretiveness, and cover ups. Shudder! If these children think it is acceptable to do this now how will they be when they get married and are suppose to be trustworthy?

I really don't think this case will stop the next predator who lures another child. I wish it would cause the parents and children to stop and think about the dangers. I think there are many more Nicoles out there right now being lured by another predator. I honestly don't see it getting any better. I have seen kids on FB brag about all the ways to fool their parents when it comes to their online activities. They seem to be proud that they know how to deceive them.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. If a college student is having some sort of inappropriate relationship with a 13 year old and it comes out, it could result in all kind of negative consequences for this college student.

I agree. And it might depend on the definition of "inappropriate" and in my opinion, there's a spectrum.

Scenario 1) We've been discussing what Nicole probably considered a romantic relationship and perhaps 'exposing' it meant telling her friends (which she apparently did). Maybe she wanted to go public that, in her mind, they were a couple. I'm not sure she wanted to expose it to her parents or LE. (I could be wrong, but I would think she'd be hesitant to meet up with DE if that was the case.). If this scenario is correct, I'd guess DE wouldn't want to outed as the boyfriend of a 13 yr old, even if sex wasn't involved.

Scenario 2) Perhaps he (with or without NK's help) was 'cat fishing' Nicole and he was leading her to believe he loved her. If she exposed that (say posting screen shots via social media) he'd look like a cruel jerk (at best) or a predator (at worst).

Even if there was no criminal intent in either of these scenarios, it could still cause a world of embarrassment and suspicion for DE. Could he lose his scholarships? Would this be reason enough to kill Nicole? For most people, no. For some people, though...

Scenario 3). Others have pointed out that this could be a thrill kill. I've gone back and forth on this. I'm very curious to learn more about NK's being an accessory before the fact.

The family should sue every website that didn't monitor the explicit messages between the 2. Jmo. Especially since the girl was only 13 and her responses from sites were from men or dam near men. Jmo

The age difference is illegal and the sites should have known the conversation between the two on per site was illegal as well. Jmo

Sue them for what? An AP developer cannot be expected to monitor everything posted 24 hours a day. They would need a million monitors. They have no more of a duty to monitor conversations than the state has to monitor conversations in a city park.

A lawsuit like that wouldn't last a day.

Total speculation again, but could she have at some point threatened to kill herself and name him in a suicide letter if he broke up with her? Maybe he tried to end the "relationship" and she threatened, so he made nice and then betrayed her?

We know she had threatened suicide because of love issues before on IG, so I wouldn't doubt if that could have been something.

Maybe he sought advice from NK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member