VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #6 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about the bail hearing.

Here's the reason he gave for his request for the cameras:

Kris Olin, one of the lawyers for Natalie Keepers, said they want to film the May 20 preliminary hearing so they could use the “video transcript” to point out possible inconsistencies in witness testimony at a later date.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/b...d-50ee-5577-b956-a8dafb3bcd4f.html?TNNoMobile

I have never heard of a request like this before.

Isn't that what transcripts are for?

Right. So that's what's making me think they're up to something. Because why would the transcripts not be enough?

Could this be the reason for his bizarre request...to show DE in a worse light in the public that may garner some sympathy for NK? Her bail hearing was a disaster, so can't understand his thinking. Anyways, highly doubt the judge will grant this.

http://dailysentinel.com/news/us/article_ba571098-ef70-5d61-a1a7-fc88ac9c61a4.html?mode=jqm

An assistant prosecutor argued that the images would belong to Keepers, and nobody could stop her from distributing them if she wished.

Could this be the reason for his bizarre request...to show DE in a worse light in the public that may garner some sympathy for NK? Her bail hearing was a disaster, so can't understand his thinking. Anyways, highly doubt the judge will grant this.

http://dailysentinel.com/news/us/article_ba571098-ef70-5d61-a1a7-fc88ac9c61a4.html?mode=jqm

An assistant prosecutor argued that the images would belong to Keepers, and nobody could stop her from distributing them if she wished.

Just a really bizarre thought....maybe they want to video because Keepers slips in and out of personalities? That would be hard to capture in transcripts.

That is just a wild brainstorm idea, not really serious....but...???

jmo

Just a really bizarre thought....maybe they want to video because Keepers slips in and out of personalities? That would be hard to capture in transcripts.

That is just a wild brainstorm idea, not really serious....but...???

jmo

I don't think that's a bizarre thought at all! If Keepers really is/could be mentally ill, maybe she's not cooperating with her attorneys trying to get her declared incompetent to stand trial (because she thinks she's perfectly fine), so they're trying this roundabout way?

(Idk if it could actually work that way, so there's my wild, bizarre, brainstorming thought).

There are no transcripts in a Juvenile Court preliminary hearing. There is no court reporter present. I agree with others. They want to create a "gotcha" moment. I guess they've been watching the O.J. series. I agree with the poster above who says their time would be better spent making a deal for Natalie. I guess her parents are grieving and willing to throw lots of money to the defense in the hopes of getting her found not guilty.

ETA: The defense can pay for a court reporter to record the preliminary hearing but the court doesn't have a court reporter present.

There are no transcripts in a Juvenile Court preliminary hearing. There is no court reporter present. I agree with others. They want to create a "gotcha" moment. I guess they've been watching the O.J. series. I agree with the poster above who says their time would be better spent making a deal for Natalie. I guess her parents are grieving and willing to throw lots of money to the defense in the hopes of getting her found not guilty.

ETA: The defense can pay for a court reporter to record the preliminary hearing but the court doesn't have a court reporter present.
Is this just in VA or through out the country? I have never heard of this before.

Is this just in VA or through out the country? I have never heard of this before.

It was my understanding that the case started in juvenile court because of the age of the victim, but it will be moved to adult court. So...there would be a court reporter, right?

Thank you...you are correct about the court reporter.

As high profile a case as this, one would think the judge/Commonwealth would want record of this.
______

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/b...d-50ee-5577-b956-a8dafb3bcd4f.html?TNNoMobile

Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney Mary Pettit told The Roanoke Times her office has no problem with a stenographer and audio equipment being used to keep a record of what is said — as is traditional for these kinds of proceedings. But video equipment is a different story.
______

http://crimlaw.blogspot.com/2012/04/is-there-right-to-transcript-from-court.html

There is no court reporter in GDC or JDR so there is no record of the preliminary hearing. There are two possible solutions to this. The first is provided under § 16.1-69.35:2 - "Proceedings in a general district court may be tape recorded by a party or his counsel." The second is under § 19.2-185 - "The judge of the court of record to which the case may be or has been certified may order the testimony of the witnesses at the preliminary hearing to be reduced to writing." Of course, under this statute the defense counsel must go to the judge in the Circuit Court and get an order requiring a court reporter to be in GDC or JDR before the preliminary hearing or there won't be recorded testimony to be transcribed.

(GDC=General District Court, JDR=Juvenile Domestic Relations)

Thank you...you are correct about the court reporter.

As high profile a case as this, one would think the judge/Commonwealth would want record of this.
______

Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney Mary Pettit told The Roanoke Times her office has no problem with a stenographer and audio equipment being used to keep a record of what is said — as is traditional for these kinds of proceedings. But video equipment is a different story.
______

http://crimlaw.blogspot.com/2012/04/is-there-right-to-transcript-from-court.html

There is no court reporter in GDC or JDR so there is no record of the preliminary hearing. There are two possible solutions to this. The first is provided under § 16.1-69.35:2 - "Proceedings in a general district court may be tape recorded by a party or his counsel." The second is under § 19.2-185 - "The judge of the court of record to which the case may be or has been certified may order the testimony of the witnesses at the preliminary hearing to be reduced to writing." Of course, under this statute the defense counsel must go to the judge in the Circuit Court and get an order requiring a court reporter to be in GDC or JDR before the preliminary hearing or there won't be recorded testimony to be transcribed.

(GDC=General District Court, JDR=Juvenile Domestic Relations)
I think everyone is a little baffled at the request for video.
What are they possibly thinking. That the video could capture something the audio won't? Okay then what can they do I with it?so confusing. I know personally by working in JDR (Juvenile & Domestic Relations) Court in VA they are strict with these rules. So I guess we will see . .

I'm still pondering what use could video be over audio for either side . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Re the request for video and audio recording, I saw this once in another murder trial of Matthew Warmus who was convicted of killing a parking lot attendant in Cleveland, OH, because he didn't agree with the $20 parking fee. Warmus got into a tussle with the parking lot attendant, then retrieved his gun from the car and shot the attendant twice in the stomach. After he fell to the ground, Warmus shot him again behind the left ear.

Warmus came from a wealthy family, who spent, and continues to spend a great deal of money on his defense and appeals. IIRC, they paid for their own court reporter at the trial and recorded the proceedings.

My guess is, in this case, it's partly a tactic by defense attorneys to intimidate the prosecution and judge and gather as much information as possible to launch appeals if the accused is found guilty. Perhaps it's a something the high priced, aggressive law firms use.

So far, Warmus family has appealed his case to the Ohio and US Supreme Courts, with no luck.

http://briefcase8.com/2014/03/whats-up-in-the-8th-68.html

Father of Nicole Lovell and his wife arrested after violent fight

David Lovell, 36, the father of 13-year-old Nicole Lovell, is charged with unlawful cause bodily injury to his wife 33-year-old Terri Lovell with intent to maim, disfigure, disable or kill.

Terri Lovell was charged with the same offense following the incident.

On Friday, April 22, at about 10:38 p.m., officers with the Wytheville Police Department responded to the scene of a domestic violence complaint located on North 26th Street. Upon their arrival and after separating the combatants and conducting an investigation, police charged the two.

Both David and Terri Lovell were arrested and sent to the New River Valley Regional Jail.

http://wsls.com/2016/04/28/father-of-nicole-lovell-and-his-wife-arrested-after-violent-fight/

David Lovell, 36, the father of 13-year-old Nicole Lovell, is charged with unlawful cause bodily injury to his wife 33-year-old Terri Lovell with intent to maim, disfigure, disable or kill.

On Friday, April 22, at about 10:38 p.m., officers with the Wytheville Police Department responded to the scene of a domestic violence complaint located on North 26th Street. Upon their arrival and after separating the combatants and conducting an investigation, police charged the two.

Both David and Terri Lovell were arrested and sent to the New River Valley Regional Jail.

http://wsls.com/2016/04/28/father-of-nicole-lovell-and-his-wife-arrested-after-violent-fight/

Awww, this makes me sad.

This is a shame!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

more info:

They were arrested under charges of assault, particularly a stab, cut or other wound, without malicious intent. The jail’s website lists their respective marital statuses as “separated.”

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news...cle_fc70d92a-0d6c-11e6-a3fa-278ce85d1fa0.html

Police will not disclose what began the argument that ended with both David and Terri Lovell being charged with unlawful wounding against each other. The couple was arrested on North 26th Street in Wytheville. The charge is a class 6 felony.

David Lovell appeared in court on Thursday afternoon and was granted $10,000 bond. He has hired lawyer Edgar DeHart.

Terri Lovell has her own bond hearing scheduled for May 3.

Both are scheduled to appear in preliminary hearings on June 28 at 9:30 a.m.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/n...cle_3df52ca0-86f5-5413-bb06-2fcfd21ca8e2.html

Holy crap!!!!!oh wait I was thinking it was the perps parents. Still....

I can imagine that tensions are high in that household

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it's coming back to me. She was mad at her dad feeling replaced as he had a new wife and stepson but then there were pics of her visiting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you stab or cut someone without malicious intent? Sounds pretty malicious to me.

From the Collegiate Times article:
"David Lovell, 38, and Terri Lovell, 33, are currently in the New River Valley Regional Jail under charges of assault, particularly a stab, cut or other wound, without malicious intent. The jail’s website lists their respective marital statuses as “separated.”"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper