GUILTY VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, murdered, Blacksburg, 27 Jan 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Pettitt questioned Dr. Mack about his fees. He said he charges $350 an hour, and said he has watched all 27 hours of the Keepers interrogation and spent about 18 hours interviewing Keepers and her family and assessing Keepers with diagnostic tests.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Mack diagnosed Keepers with borderline personality disorder, forms of dissociative disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder and chronic depressive disorder.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Mack said a person with this cluster of diagnosis would be easily manipulated and led by the opinions of others and would have trouble distinguishing reality from unreality.

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Pettitt questioned Dr. Mack about his fees. He said he charges $350 an hour, and said he has watched all 27 hours of the Keepers interrogation and spent about 18 hours interviewing Keepers and her family and assessing Keepers with diagnostic tests.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Mack diagnosed Keepers with borderline personality disorder, forms of dissociative disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder and chronic depressive disorder.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Mack said a person with this cluster of diagnosis would be easily manipulated and led by the opinions of others and would have trouble distinguishing reality from unreality.
What does the doctor's fees have to do with anything? To imply he has been paid to sway his testimony a certain way?

jmo

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

The defense has put on James Trainum, a criminal methods consultant who once worked for the Washington DC police department. He focuses on police interview and interrogation techniques. He instructs, researches and writes about criminal investigations.

Doctor testifies, breaks down Natalie Keepers 6 mental health disorders

Dr. Mack testified that Natalie Keepers has six mental health disorders which include:
  • Depersonalization-derealization disorder
  • Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
  • Borderline personality disorder
  • Dependent and schizotypal disorder
  • Panic disorder
  • Persistent depressive disorder
Is the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder because of the murder or did she have that prior to her involvement, according to the doc?

jmo

Is the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder because of the murder or did she have that prior to her involvement, according to the doc?

jmo

from the link...

He said that Keepers had a history of speech and language problems. After defense attorney John Robertson established the types of tests Dr. Mack performed on Keepers, he asked, "What is your opinion?" The Commonwealth objected and the jury was asked to leave the room while the judge discussed the objection. Before Dr. Mack would be allowed to answer his diagnosis of Keepers, Commonwealth Attorney Mary Pettitt wanted to make sure that only diagnoses that could relate to why she behaved the way she did during Nicole Lovell's murder would be introduced to the court.

He said that Depersonalization-derealization disorder is a subset of a dissociative disorder. He said Keepers presented a strong detachment from her emotions and that she experiences unreality, detachment or being an outside observer of her own actions and thoughts, perception of reality, feeling like she is in a dream-like state. He said the core issue is a detachment from herself that acts a protection mechanism that has occurred after years of build up of prior trauma. He said she has a problem with understanding her own reality. He said this coincides with post-traumatic stress disorder. He said Keepers reported flash-backs and nightmares. Not all of that explanation was presented to the jury.

Mack said borderline personality disorder causes individuals to be emotionally numb. He says this causes people a need to feel anything which can cause cutting or self-harm. He said these people are often unstable in terms of eating, relationships and especially in relationships with sexual partners. Mack testified those affected tend to be suicidal and feel chronically empty.

"Under stress they become psychotic," Mack said. He said psychotic people are extremely out of touch with reality. He said that people with borderline personality disorder go in and out of psychosis, meaning in and out of reality. He said they border a reality and fantasy world.

He noted however that Keepers is not psychopathic, which is extremely different than psychotic. He said a combination of those disorders cause people who have them to be easily influenced and manipulated by other people because they don't have a true sense of self or reality.

Photo of Keepers today:

Sophia Borrelli on Twitter

DnipZ4MX4AABHPM.jpg

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
3m

Reporters not already in the courtroom were briefly barred from entering when the witness was seated and were fearful of missing any testimony. They were not allowed to formally object to the barring, but were eventually let in before testimony.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
2m

In deference to this witness' wishes, the judge ordered all cameras in the courtroom turned off and the jury will not know her name. She will be referred to as "Miss B" during any questioning.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
1m

James Trainum, the interrogation expert previously put on the stand, testified that the accusatory method used with Keepers and widespread across the country at all levels of law enforcement, can produce tainted confessions.

Judge Turk ordered that video cameras be turned off for the next and last defense witness. The witness, only known as "Miss B" was a minor at the time of Nicole Lovell's murder. After much deliberation over the commonwealth's objection to her testimony, Judge Turk overruled the objection, agreeing it was legal to allow her testimony.

Keepers smiled and looked at her attorney Kris Olin, "So, she's in?" Keepers asked. "Yes," Olin said.

____

another photo from today:

5ba3bd3bc3875.image.jpg

Keepers trial update Day 4: Defense to present case

"Miss B" testified that she met David Eisenhauer on an online chatroom and communicated via social media app Kik daily. Although it was not established how long she knew Eisenhauer, this communication began at least a month before Lovell was killed.

The judge did not allow attorneys to ask "Miss B" specifics about her relationship with Eisenhauer, including if it was romantic.

"Miss B" testified that Eisenhauer talked frequently about killing Nicole Lovell. "He would bring it up at least once a week," she said, stating that he would describe ways he wanted to kill her.

"He mentioned driving his car into a body of water and arson," the witness said.

"Miss B" also said that during Eisenhauer's frequent discussions about killing Lovell, he never mentioned Natalie Keepers. "He never mentioned a name, gender or age of the person he was communicating with, but said they had military knowledge," she said.

"Did he mention anyone told him to do it?" defense attorney John Robertson asked.

"No," she responded.

"Did he blame anyone else?"

"No," she responded. "He did mention his family was really hard on him and told him not to mess this up," she said. "That's why he said he needed a way out."

The commonwealth had no questions for the witness. The defense rested it's case.

Court is in recess until 1:30 p.m. The jury will hear instructions from the judge when they return, then closing arguments.

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
12m

Court is back in session, but without the jury. The court will decide on alternates for the jury pool. The jury will hear closing arguments shortly. Each side has been given 45 minutes to make closing arguments. The jury will then receive instructions.

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
9m

Patrick Jensen is giving the commonwealth's summation of the evidence against Keepers, recapping messages, security camera footage and GPS tracking of #DavidEisenhauer's Lexus that they argue corroborate her confession.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
6m

To convict, the jury must find that Keepers was not present at the murder but encouraged or incited the killer to the crime.
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
6m

If the jury convicts Keepers, they may not recommend a sentence until further evidence is presented to them.

Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

Defense attorney Kris Olin is giving his summation. He told the jury to convict, they must find that keepers had the same intent as Eisenhauer. But Keepers said: "I didn't think he would actually kill her."
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
1m

Olin told the jury that Keepers liked being part of the plan to murder Lovell, "not because it was a plan to murder because it was a plan to be close to David, someone she loved." That's not motive for killing. That's not a psychopath....That's a young girl who probably in love."
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
1m

Olin is using quote after quote from Keepers' interrogation. "I thought David would see her and talk to her and then not do it." "I told him I could reason with her." "I couldn't imagine him doing something like that to that girl." "I would sit down and talk with her."
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
3m

"If I was there, "I would have stopped it." "I was the one to come up with the plan to let her down easy." "I played along with his little fantasy and he made me feel I was part of something. He made me feel like I had a best friend."
Tonia Moxley

@ReporterToniaM

·
1m

Olin is arguing that the interrogators broke the rules of accusatorial interview techniques by offering leniency for truthful answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back