GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An Amber Alert could not be issued, though. Sadly. From their website, I don't think there was enough information to do so. http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

Regardless of their beliefs or feelings, there was simply no evidence of an abduction.

Summary of Department of Justice Recommended Criteria

There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.

I realize why an Amber alert could not be issued. I've always felt that the worst case scenario should be acted upon in order to get the information our to the public as soon as possible. I believe the Amber Alert needs a bit of tweaking. Too much precious time is lost up front before it is determined an abduction has occurred. Who knows? Someone might have noticed a red haired little boy in a vehicle and connected it to an Amber Alert at the beginning. JMO but have felt for a long time that some kind of alert should be issued when a child is missing to alert motorist and public.

I would consider comments like those as personal opinions and not rumor.

I agree. Rumors and personal opinions are 2 entirely different things and most of what I'm seeing is the latter. Even if comments are being deleted there is usually traces of them left behind. Generally 10 different people will have posted some version of "*advertiser censored* what kind of horrible person says such a thing?" but there will be no comment from "*advertiser censored*" to be found. If the sheriff thinks that rumors are flying in this case he should take a look at Lisa Irwin, Relisha Rudd or Jenise Wright's case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which begs the question why is he wasting precious time lecturing against something that doesn't seem to exist?

I did see references about deleted comments. Someone posted that a neighbor was a sex offender when he is not. Perhaps it's these rumors/comments?

The timeline changes again. :-/
Statements of him being alive and well on Saturday night are especially troubling as well.

I agree. LE are going on the theory he just wandered off. If they are suspecting kidnapping it seems like an Amber Alert would now be issued. Too bad LE didn't assume worst case scenario (kidnapping) so that the Alert would have been issued early on.
Noah's case doesn't come close to meeting the guidelines for an Amber Alert. No known vehicle. No license plate info. No abductor description. All meaning no witness to abduction. Nothing about his case would have qualified it then or now.

While I do frequently have a problem with LE and the AA guidelines not being used on a case to case basis instead of their strict one size fits all mentality, I don't see anything to give them leeway on Noah's case to issue one.

ETA: I agree there should be an alert system for this type of situation in order to get the word out quickly, but it is what they ask the media to do in such circumstances.

He does seem a bit thin-skinned and appears to resent anyone having any thoughts or opinions or suggestions about this case.

Maybe a case of displaced frustration. I'm sure he is frustrated and venting.

Yes! I think he is thin-skinned and more than a little territorial. He reminds me of the Sheriff working Eric Smith's case in my hometown. Dave was someone that I had a lot of respect and fondness for before his handling of Eric's investigation. Sadly it is rural southwest VA and LE here fear that they will be looked down on by the bigger departments so they go on the defensive from day 1 and do more harm than good.

Noah's case doesn't come close to meeting the guidelines for an Amber Alert. No known vehicle. No license plate info. No abductor description. All meaning no witness to abduction. Nothing about his case would have qualified it then or now.

While I do frequently have a problem with LE and the AA guidelines not being used on a case to case basis instead of their strict one size fits all mentality, I don't see anything to give them leeway on Noah's case to issue one.

ETA: I agree there should be an alert system for this type of situation in order to get the word out quickly, but it is what they ask the media to do in such circumstances.

Yes, he didn't meet the criteria for an Amber Alert because there was no vehicle or plate number or kidnapping info, I was just venting that there isn't another type of alert to cover a missing child based upon a description of the child.

Motorist often don't listen to local news but to music on other devices. Maybe someone will work on a new alert.

Anyway, hope he is found today.

Would love to know what LE really believes happened to Noah.

Several cars, sirens and lights going, headed to the community college in that vicinity. I don't know if it's connected or something new. :(

Several cars, sirens and lights going, headed to the community college in that vicinity. I don't know if it's connected or something new. :(

Oh, I hope he's been found. Keep us updated if you hear of anything please!

Do we have a scanner thread set up for Noah?

I haven't found one. Apparently Pulaski County VA does not offer live scanner feeds. Montgomery County, a neighboring county, does, but reads as "offline"; ditto for Wythe County to the south. This may be my crappy internet access, however, so YMMV. (Please feel free to send me a note if you get something better going.)

Oh, I hope he's been found. Keep us updated if you hear of anything please!

Crossing my fingers . . . There was an incident a few years ago with a shooting at an off-site NRCC facility, however, so any time you see multiple cars with sirens going, your heart just flies into your throat anyway. Some rough times around here . . .

I just feel sick right now with dread. Praying for little Noah. Praying!

Please let this baby be okay! Hoping the presser will be some good news.

I think I figure out what they are talking about. News comments. All the various news sites covering this, if you read the comments just go on and on and on about the parents and particularly the mom being irresponsible for daring to take a nap with a newborn and a toddler.

Makes me nauseous reading all that stuff. If she's a suspect, fine. If she's not, back off. But don't rail on her for doing what is fairly normal for parents with multiple small children and odd schedules. Talk about casting the first stone.

I'd agree with you, if it was the first timeline we were still working from. But now we are now talking about a 3 hour sleep - I'd say that is beyond a "nap". Not getting at you, I just understand why some people would think it was irresponsible to leave a 5 year old unattended that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue