VA VA - Robert Hourihan, 33, Columbia, 8 April 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey Guys - just posting a couple of rules here to help refresh your memories and answer any questions about what is allowed and what is not. First up - social networking sites:

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Second: Local posters and verification:

Verified / Professional Posters

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some may have special inside knowledge about a case or be directly related to a player in the case. This is all extremely valuable information for the forum. However, we like to make sure that anyone posting as a professional in a specific area (doctor, lawyer, search and rescue, etc.), or as someone with inside information, truly is what/who they claim to be. Verification is 100% optional. No posters are required to become verified unless they wish to post inside or professional information. If you wish to become verified, please contact Tricia, Websleuths owner, at wsverify@xmission.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, and your phone number and a good time to call. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

And finally - victim friendly:

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior,good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally,sleuthing family members that are not suspected of being involved in the crime or disappearance is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Let me or any of the mods know if there are any questions.

Thanks!

Salem

A reporter got back to me about when he was reported missing. This is what she wrote:
From my understanding, Tara reported him missing over that weekend after giving him time to come home (thinking he might be off with friends). I believe it was on Sunday because the sheriff's department sent out a press release on his disappearance on the following Monday.

Thank you terracotta!

Trying to pull all of this together based on what's been communicated thus far:

1. Bob puts on his uniform and leaves the house as if he's going to work early Friday morning, 4/8.

2. A co-worker and friend of Bob's wife sees him about an hour later on a road that is not on his regular route to work. At this point, he would normally have already arrived at work, to the best of my understanding. This friend/co-worker calls Bob's wife and tells him she saw Bob. His wife attempts to reach Bob by cell phone at around 7:40 a.m.; Bob does not answer.

3. Bob is seen by witnesses soon thereafter (around 8 am), buying breakfast at a spot where he is a regular patron.

4. The weekend passes and Bob's wife does not notify police; assuming that he has gone off with friends, though she knows on Friday morning that Bob was not going to work as she had thought. She posts normal mundane comments on her Facebook page on Saturday 4/9.

5. To the best of our knowledge, Bob is not seen or heard from by anyone after his breakfast purchase on the morning of 4/8.

6. On Sunday evening (estimated), Bob's wife still has not heard from him and alerts LE. He is reported missing and a press release is issued the next day, Monday 4/11. Bob was driving his wife's car with a "Taramae" vanity plate; neither Bob nor the car have been located as of 4/30/11 a.m.

Sorry if I got anything wrong; please correct or add any details.

Hard to know what to make of this without getting more basic details:

1. Was Bob alone in the car when the wife's friend spotted him on 4/8 a.m.? Did he meet anyone at the breakfast spot?
2. Was Bob involved with another female? Was his wife involved with another male?
3. Did Bob have a history of leaving for the weekend without notifying his wife? Does his work place have a record showing a pattern of days that Bob's wife thought he was at work when he wasn't?
4. Has LE obtained the cell and home phone records for Bob and his wife for the 30 day period surrounding the disappearance?
5. Why was Bob in his wife's car? Did the couple have only one working vehicle?
6. Has LE obtained bank records? Has there been any movement in Bob's accounts since he disappeared (those that would exclude normal local transactions by his wife)? Did Bob withdraw any large sum(s) of cash before his disappearance?
7. Are there surveillance cameras on the route Bob was seen driving on Friday 4/8? Any video of Bob at any point on 4/8 or thereafter?
8. Has Bob been depressed? Has he made any statements to his wife, family, friends or co-workers indicating he wanted to leave everything behind? Any suicide attempts in Bob's past?
9. Has LE interviewed Bob's wife and daughter about Bob's demeanor and activities at home?

Still puzzled...

A reporter got back to me about when he was reported missing. This is what she wrote:
From my understanding, Tara reported him missing over that weekend after giving him time to come home (thinking he might be off with friends). I believe it was on Sunday because the sheriff's department sent out a press release on his disappearance on the following Monday.

This makes NO sense. If he was in need of heart medication everyday, then why let Saturday go by without a call to LE? Had he not returned home that Friday night, she should have been straight on the phone. Also - if you're going out with friends (ie, overnight) don't you tell your spouse? Don't ya make sure he has extra meds just in case? All I've read is he didn't have any meds and they were all at home.

ALL MOO

Mel

This makes NO sense. If he was in need of heart medication everyday, then why let Saturday go by without a call to LE? Had he not returned home that Friday night, she should have been straight on the phone. Also - if you're going out with friends (ie, overnight) don't you tell your spouse? Don't ya make sure he has extra meds just in case? All I've read is he didn't have any meds and they were all at home.

ALL MOO

Mel

Exactly. And why wouldn't the wife call his friends to confirm that he was indeed with them? Definitely missing some pieces in the this story....

Hi all,

Oops! I can't edit my post upthread, but it's important to address our subject correctly; he goes by "Rob", not "Bob". Apologies - I must have misread "Rob" as "Bob" somewhere down the line. :doh:

Thanks to TruthfulLies for the insight!!

Exactly. And why wouldn't the wife call his friends to confirm that he was indeed with them? Definitely missing some pieces in the this story....

Yes, and I just listened to the Wendy Edwards podcast that she interviewed the wife. She said that he had no hobbies or interests other than their daughter. So he would be a home body. Listen to the interview....it is interesting.

This was recorded a week after he went missing.

http://www.cvillepodcast.com/category/the-wendy-edwards-show/

I have questions about him being seen eating breakfast at his "usual" restaurant. Was it common for him to stop to eat breakfast there on work days? If so, what time was his usual stop? Was this usual time? Maybe it's just me, but 8:00 for breakfast (on a work day) seems late. What time did his work day start?

And if he eats there often, can it be verified (by video or bank records) that he was there that day? Days run in to each other, he could have been there Thursday and by the time people were asked about it they remember it as Friday.

Thanks for the link terracotta....

I'm on the fence about the wife. When I listened to the interview I at first believed her.... but then she referred to Robert in the past tense over 15 times. I just am not sure what to think.

I wish the interviewer would have asked her more about the morning he left for work - what their last interraction was then, his mood, etc.

I'm on the fence about the wife. When I listened to the interview I at first believed her.... but then she referred to Robert in the past tense over 15 times. I just am not sure what to think.

I wish the interviewer would have asked her more about the morning he left for work - what their last interraction was then, his mood, etc.

She did tell a reported that in a Daily Progress interview. That is was a normal morning, no different than any other and that he said I love you and left for work.

I'm not sure why she didn't also mention that her husband was dressed for work but wasn't scheduled to work that day. And also that he went the opposite way from his normal route to work.

She has mentioned in every interview that if he doesn't take his meds every day then he gets very sick, he has a heart condition.

This poor man, I'm so worried about his well-being.

I'm with ya --

- he "worked" there.

- he was born and raised in NY -- why isn't anyone lookin there? His Business Partner also lives there.

- when she giggled and say "hey, hey, who knows (as to where he is). I bout fell out of my chair.

I promised myself to distance myself from this case, and will continue to do so.

Also - "where's MY car"??

MOO

Mel

I'd also like answers to a few questions, such as why he'd leave for work at such an early hour and be somewhere eating breakfast at 8:00am; when was he normally supposed to be at work? Why wouldn't it be a big deal for him to be gone overnight if he needed to take heart medication and it was left at home? And why do I get the impression she is overly concerned about "her" car - do they have a 2nd vehicle she could use and if so why was he driving hers? :waitasec: MOO

I have questions about him being seen eating breakfast at his "usual" restaurant. Was it common for him to stop to eat breakfast there on work days? If so, what time was his usual stop? Was this usual time? Maybe it's just me, but 8:00 for breakfast (on a work day) seems late. What time did his work day start?
BBM

One of my main questions also. Something must have seemed odd for her friend to call after seeing him on the road.

MOO

I'd also like answers to a few questions, such as why he'd leave for work at such an early hour and be somewhere eating breakfast at 8:00am; when was he normally supposed to be at work? Why wouldn't it be a big deal for him to be gone overnight if he needed to take heart medication and it was left at home? And why do I get the impression she is overly concerned about "her" car - do they have a 2nd vehicle she could use and if so why was he driving hers? :waitasec: MOO

Speaking from someone who has personal knowledge about a heart condition (SVT) - you do not leave meds at home. You keep them in your car, in your purse, in the drawer at work - anywhere you can get your hands on them easily. I risk passing out....or dying if not treated in time (I can easily go 3-4 hours) though it feels like I've run a marathon. I'm having a REAL hard time thinking that he took his meds that day and that was the end of it. Any person with heart problems carries meds on them. My husband suffered from AFIB (I know, we're a caustic couple combined). But he carries a small pill box in his lunch box, as well as his tool box. His lunch box goes with him to/fro, and he has back up at work.

Perhaps, perhaps, he didn't think he would be too far away from home to think he could not get to them.

But as someone with a heart condition, I sure want to know what that condition is! I've had mine (familial) for over 20 years, and is qualmed by a simple pill. Others, not so much.

Just another piece to the puzzle.

MOO

Mel

Speaking from someone who has personal knowledge about a heart condition (SVT) - you do not leave meds at home. You keep them in your car, in your purse, in the drawer at work - anywhere you can get your hands on them easily. I risk passing out....or dying if not treated in time (I can easily go 3-4 hours) though it feels like I've run a marathon. I'm having a REAL hard time thinking that he took his meds that day and that was the end of it. Any person with heart problems carries meds on them. My husband suffered from AFIB (I know, we're a caustic couple combined). But he carries a small pill box in his lunch box, as well as his tool box. His lunch box goes with him to/fro, and he has back up at work.

Perhaps, perhaps, he didn't think he would be too far away from home to think he could not get to them.

But as someone with a heart condition, I sure want to know what that condition is! I've had mine (familial) for over 20 years, and is qualmed by a simple pill. Others, not so much.

Just another piece to the puzzle.

MOO

Mel
Everyone who I have known who has to take prescription medication more than once a day, especially someone with a heart condition, always has "extras" with them. They usually also have a medic-alert bracelet, or something like that, in order to alert EMS in the event of an accident or medical emergency. MOO

The Hourihans met in church as teenagers and have been married for 14 years. They have a 6-year-old daughter.

“For me it was love at first sight,” Hourihan said. “We started talking and became best friends. I was in love with him for seven years and he never knew it.”

One Easter Sunday, Hourihan accidently let her feelings known after watching her crush go through yet another painful break-up.

She said her future husband was totally blown away by the confession.

“That afternoon he called me and asked me out and we went out the Monday after Easter and we’ve been together ever since,” Hourihan said. “I feel like I’ve lost my right arm. It’s just unbearable.”

Hourihan said the fact that her husband didn’t reach out to her on the anniversary of their first date confirmed her worst suspicions.

“If he could have physically made it here [for our anniversary], I would have gotten a call,” Hourihan said. “I truly feel in my heart that somebody has done something to him and if they have any decency at all they would tell us where they’ve put him … I would at least like to put him to rest. I don’t want him lying out there like he’s a piece of trash.”

Reference:
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/...ww.aol.com/&shorturl=http://bit.ly/m3PIsN
===========================================

Since we don't have any information about investigations into their phone records, bank accounts, family and friend's statements (other than the wife's), Robert's state of mind .. so many possible scenarios to ponder.

While I'm worried Robert may have met with foul play, imo, it's also quite possible that he wanted to get away. He didn't intend on working on 4/8, apparently, but left the house as if he was going to work. If this is true, he didn't want to explain to his wife what he intended to do with his time that day. He stopped for breakfast; nothing so far indicates any signs of distress. He's been married for 14 years and his wife says he has no hobbies or interests outside of the home and his daughter. What would he have been doing with friends for a weekend if he has no hobbies or outside interests? When mature men spend a weekend together, from my experience, it usually centers around an activity (golfing, hunting, gambling, reunion, party...). IDK, seems strange that she would assume he'd go off with friends, without her having any idea of who he was with or what he was doing. If she was really expecting him to come back after the weekend, imo, it's more likely that she feared he was off doing something she wouldn't have approved of; something that she couldn't have easily checked (like simply calling his friends). Unless she didn't approve of him doing things with friends and they are used to covering for him. Maybe he's taken off before or has outside interests not yet revealed?

According to his wife, he's known her since they were 15 and he got together with her after he experienced a painful break-up in his early twenties, at which time he learned that his wife (then his friend) had been secretly in love with him for 7 years. Maybe Robert was feeling a little stifled and intended to do his own thing for a short period of time and it snowballed?. He might have felt busted (and more stifled) if he knew the friend saw him on his "free Friday" and his wife started calling him right afterwards. Did he take off? If she'd been in love with him for so long even before he had any interest in her, she might be very possessive and protective of him. Or, he might feel guilty needing/asking for alone time when she considers him like her right arm, the apple of their daughter's eye, and the ultimate "family man". Pressure? She says missing the anniversary of their first date is a sure sign that something bad has happened to him; not their wedding anniversary, but their first date anniversary. Intense. That's sweet if he cherishes that day and always wants to celebrate it, but we really don't know how he feels about anything. It makes me leary when people in these situations describe their relationships in terms that seem too good to be true because we usually learn that the fairy tale was just that, and then it's hard to trust any aspect of their accounts. Not saying the wife's account is untrue, just that the relationship she describes sounds so great that it makes me wonder how she's ready to accept the worst so soon; seems like she has already accepted that he is dead. Usually people hold on to hope (or denial?) longer. Maybe she just knows he would never willingly leave her or their daughter and has thoroughly checked and considered every other possibility...IDK.. Unusual, imo...

I wish we knew if he had any money on him or if he's withdrawn any money or used credit cards since 4/8. Any friends who could be helping him? I so want this guy to be unharmed (regardless of the circumstances).

The exact same (minimal) information we have could easily support multiple scenarios. Grasping at straws...

Where are you Robert?

Everyone who I have known who has to take prescription medication more than once a day, especially someone with a heart condition, always has "extras" with them. They usually also have a medic-alert bracelet, or something like that, in order to alert EMS in the event of an accident or medical emergency. MOO

Very true. I KNOW I'm supposed to wear a bracelet, because I'm a diabetic, but carry a card in my wallet where my ID is supposed to be, along with the meds I take. My husband carries the same information (about me) with him as well. If I travel, I practically tape it to my forehead ;) I do worry about a car wreck, and what would happen. I need to find a pretty bracelet and not those ugly things they sell right now!

MOO

Mel

Reference:
===========================================

Since we don't have any information about investigations into their phone records, bank accounts, family and friend's statements (other than the wife's), Robert's state of mind .. so many possible scenarios to ponder.

While I'm worried Robert may have met with foul play, imo, it's also quite possible that he wanted to get away. He didn't intend on working on 4/8, apparently, but left the house as if he was going to work. If this is true, he didn't want to explain to his wife what he intended to do with his time that day. He stopped for breakfast; nothing so far indicates any signs of distress. He's been married for 14 years and his wife says he has no hobbies or interests outside of the home and his daughter. What would he have been doing with friends for a weekend if he has no hobbies or outside interests? When mature men spend a weekend together, from my experience, it usually centers around an activity (golfing, hunting, gambling, reunion, party...). IDK, seems strange that she would assume he'd go off with friends, without her having any idea of who he was with or what he was doing. If she was really expecting him to come back after the weekend, imo, it's more likely that she feared he was off doing something she wouldn't have approved of; something that she couldn't have easily checked (like simply calling his friends). Unless she didn't approve of him doing things with friends and they are used to covering for him. Maybe he's taken off before or has outside interests not yet revealed?

According to his wife, he's known her since they were 15 and he got together with her after he experienced a painful break-up in his early twenties, at which time he learned that his wife (then his friend) had been secretly in love with him for 7 years. Maybe Robert was feeling a little stifled and intended to do his own thing for a short period of time and it snowballed?. He might have felt busted (and more stifled) if he knew the friend saw him on his "free Friday" and his wife started calling him right afterwards. Did he take off? If she'd been in love with him for so long even before he had any interest in her, she might be very possessive and protective of him. Or, he might feel guilty needing/asking for alone time when she considers him like her right arm, the apple of their daughter's eye, and the ultimate "family man". Pressure? She says missing the anniversary of their first date is a sure sign that something bad has happened to him; not their wedding anniversary, but their first date anniversary. Intense. That's sweet if he cherishes that day and always wants to celebrate it, but we really don't know how he feels about anything. It makes me leary when people in these situations describe their relationships in terms that seem too good to be true because we usually learn that the fairy tale was just that, and then it's hard to trust any aspect of their accounts. Not saying the wife's account is untrue, just that the relationship she describes sounds so great that it makes me wonder how she's ready to accept the worst so soon; seems like she has already accepted that he is dead. Usually people hold on to hope (or denial?) longer. Maybe she just knows he would never willingly leave her or their daughter and has thoroughly checked and considered every other possibility...IDK.. Unusual, imo...

I wish we knew if he had any money on him or if he's withdrawn any money or used credit cards since 4/8. Any friends who could be helping him? I so want this guy to be unharmed (regardless of the circumstances).

The exact same (minimal) information we have could easily support multiple scenarios. Grasping at straws...

Where are you Robert?

I like your theory. Didn't we have a case recently where the husband said the marriage was perfect or wonderful and now the wife is in a safe undisclosed location? It always concerns me when someone overemphasizes just how wonderful their marriage is. Trust me, I've been married for 14 years, and NO I can't remember the anniversary of our first date, and on more than one occasion we've forgotten our actually wedding anniversary (but we're like that anyway). I don't stiffle my DH, but we have respect for one another to tell each other where we're going - for safety reasons more than anything.

If the husband was in fact visiting friends, why wouldn't he tell her? The who/when/where (not necessarilly the why). All you have to tell me is when are you coming home so I don't have a panic attack - that's all I ask. Also do this out of courtesy of your son, so when he asks me where you are, I don't have to lie to him, or say "I don't know".

Anyway, that's how we roll.

MOO

Mel

Mel,

Your relationship sounds healthy and happy, and yet you never describe it as perfect or feel the need to use flowery adjectives in describing it - just the facts, kwim? That's why I feel like Robert's wife is trying to paint a picture, rather than just giving us an accurate account. I am in no way accusing her or any wrong-doing, just saying that I feel very strongly she knows or suspects a lot more than she's shared with the media (but, hopefully, she's shared everything with LE). If there were problems in the relationship and he wanted out, I think she knew it. I think she'd rather have people think he's dead than think he would choose to leave her and their daughter. There may be some financial benefits for him being missing and feared endangered, rather than just a runaway family man. The heart medication keeps coming up to emphasize he's endangered and to support the wife's fear that he's dead, but it didn't bother her enough to call out alerts on the weekend he first went missing? It didn't bother her in the 48 hour period before he could officially be reporting "missing". Odd. Robert might even go along with letting people think he's dead it if he wanted out badly enough. Just speculation, nothing more...

I'm not so sure the wife's friend seeing Robert and alerting his wife on the morning of 4/8 and calling her about it was just a coincidence. I think it's possible that the friend knew things weren't good and Robert was a flight risk; she may have been reporting in. If Robert was leaving his life behind, I hope he made it out safely and wasn't intercepted by someone nefarious along the way. I think he left willingly and that's why we're not hearing more about phone records and bank records and such. After 3 weeks, I think that kind of information would be shared with the public if the police suspected foul play and wanted the public's help in finding Robert.

Of course, I could be completely off base, but things smell more like he left on his own as time passes and no new investigatory facts are released; we're only hearing about relationship history and the the wife supporting her contention that Robert is dead. Strange, imo. JMO...

I often work for 14-18 or more hours given my profession and the unpredictability of my work. I asked my husband how many hours could go by of not hearing from me before he got worried and called the police (actually I asked him this when I was reading about the Melissa Best case) and he said maybe 2 hours later than usual. I always text him when I'm at work, just to say hi, let him know I'm still there, etc. Neither of us are possessive, but after being married so many years, checking in is normal. I just don't understand if they were so close and had a "happy marriage" that they wouldn't check in with each other if he wasn't coming home.

His business partner has been very supportive of Rob's family at this devistating time. Rob's wife and daughter are very close personal friends and ate Easter dinner with myself and my family after church. They are both truly devistated.

From my research A-Freedom-Electric has not been in business in years, and the number has been disconnected (check for yourself). All indications appear they were friends and not business partners, unless there's another business that I'm not aware of (IMHO).

I am not the one who called the disappearence "suspicious" - the media did. If you are close and personal friends, perhaps you can find out why Rob left that day wearing his uniform without the intent to go to work?

Although Hourihan told his wife he was going to work that morning, she later discovered he wasn’t scheduled to go into his Richmond job that day.

MOO, and all the best.

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member