VA - Scott Fricker, 48, & Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, 43, slain, Reston, 22 Dec 2017 *daughter’s bf charged*

• Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Anyone know if Scott was her dad or step? I've read it both ways.

Mine was in for two years and we hated it. It was terrible. Mine went back into reg public school thankfully.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I never wanted my son to be in an outside placement - we even toured a truly private school called the Harris School in Houston which is great but we did research - studies show once you get into a truly outside placement the likelihood of the student getting back into general ed classes drops significantly. Very thankful my son has successfully returned to full general ed and has been since 3rd grade.

Just wonder what was going on with girl prior to placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckley Anne Kuhn Fricker

On December 22, 2017. She was born on March 10, 1974. She grew up in McLean, VA, attending The Potomac School and Madeira. She graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder and went on to obtain her law degree at the University of Denver Law School.
Rather than pursuing an active law practice, Buckley founded Buckley's for Seniors, a company that provides services for homebound seniors, allowing them to continue to reside in the community.

Buckley lost her life in the same incident of inexplicable violence that took her beloved husband, Scott Fricker, PhD, who worked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Buckley leaves her three children, Kelly Sizemore Kuhn, Amelia Fricker and Elliot Fricker. Buckley was a devoted wife and mother and was passionate about helping others. She also leaves her grieving parents, Janet Kuhn and Ira F. Kuhn Jr. and her loving brother, Reed Calvert Kuhn.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in the name of Buckley and Scott Fricker

A memorial service for Scott and Buckley will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 30, 2017 at Trinity Presbyterian Church, 651 Dranesville Road, Herndon, VA.

www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=buckley-fricker&pid=187664370

SCOTT SPILLANE FRICKER

Passed away on Friday, December 22, 2017, at his home in Reston, Virginia. He was 48 years old. His life, and that of his loving wife, Buckley, were cut short by an act of inexplicable violence.

Scott was the son of John and Sandy Fricker of Burlington, NC; the brother of Jason Fricker of Charleston, SC; and the father of Elliot Auden Fricker. He was the caring step-father to Kelly Sizemore Kuhn and Amelia Sizemore Kuhn Fricker.

Scott was born in Heidelburg, Germany while his father was serving in the military. He spent all of his formative years and professional life in the Washington metropolitan area. He earned his bachelors' s degree from the University of Richmond, his master's from UC Santa Barbara and the Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in survey research methodology. He enjoyed his meaningful work for the Bureau of Labor Statistics and made many friends there.

Scott's greatest enjoyment, however, was being a loving and involved family member.

A memorial service will be held for Scott and Buckley at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 30 at Trinity Presbyterian Church, 651 Dranesville Road, Herndon, VA.

In lieu of flowers, the Fricker family suggests that a prayer be said for all affected by this tragedy and that we all treasure the moments that we have with one another.

www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=scott-fricker&pid=187652055

Buckley Anne Kuhn Fricker

On December 22, 2017. She was born on March 10, 1974. She grew up in McLean, VA, attending The Potomac School and Madeira. She graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder and went on to obtain her law degree at the University of Denver Law School.
Rather than pursuing an active law practice, Buckley founded Buckley's for Seniors, a company that provides services for homebound seniors, allowing them to continue to reside in the community.

Buckley lost her life in the same incident of inexplicable violence that took her beloved husband, Scott Fricker, PhD, who worked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Buckley leaves her three children, Kelly Sizemore Kuhn, Amelia Fricker and Elliot Fricker. Buckley was a devoted wife and mother and was passionate about helping others. She also leaves her grieving parents, Janet Kuhn and Ira F. Kuhn Jr. and her loving brother, Reed Calvert Kuhn.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in the name of Buckley and Scott Fricker

A memorial service for Scott and Buckley will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 30, 2017 at Trinity Presbyterian Church, 651 Dranesville Road, Herndon, VA.

www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=buckley-fricker&pid=187664370

Yes, I wondered when I read the obituary if the donation was a noble nod to their killer’s problems. Now that we know more about their daughter, it makes even more sense.

Posts attempting to politicize the discussion have been removed as they violate TOS.

Discuss this case and leave your own political bent and beliefs out of this discussion.

If you encounter such posts, please use the Alert feature to let us know.

Thanks.

Thanks for the correction! I had completely forgotten!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And thanks to you:cheer: for cleaning up the trash I :doh: left behind!!! :bow:

Yes, I wondered when I read the obituary if the donation was a noble nod to their killer’s problems. Now that we know more about their daughter, it makes even more sense.

Yes what a great cause.

I don't think it's very fair or appropriate to characterize the daughter in this case as "messed up" or to extrapolate anything about her character, personality or personal life from one mention of the school she attends. None of us know her situation or her family's situation, and this rush to judgment feels inappropriate, when all signs point to her being a victim. Her name is out there, and she or other family members may come upon this, which I imagine would be hurtful.

Same goes for reading into why donations might go to NAMI -- for example, a friend of mine volunteers with NAMI and is passionate about it, as she's a social worker and mental health is something about which she cares. Everyone has charities they support, for their own personal reasons.

Their own daughter was in there. They trusted her that she'd broken it off. I think these folks were a bit naive, and I don't mean that in a bad way, just that, I think that they had too much trust in their own troubled child.

They didn't really have a lot of alternatives -- but I would have probably been sleeping with one eye & one ear open -- but they must have been, too, to hear the "commotion" in their daughter's bedroom.

And if /when this gets to trial, IMO a defense claim for anything less than 1st Degree Murder is empty thought. He brought a loaded gun, or loaded it before he shot. If that isn't premeditation, then I don't know what is.
To wit:

First-Degree Murder

It is first degree murder to kill another by poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, or by any willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or in the commission of, or attempt to commit, arson, rape, forcible sodomy, inanimate or animate object sexual penetration, robbery, burglary, or abduction.

Second-Degree Murder
All other murder not defined as either capital murder or first-degree murder is second-degree murder, and is punishable by anywhere from five to 40 years in prison. This includes felony murder, i.e. murder that happens when the defendant is committing another felony such as robbery or carjacking. Even a death that is an accident will be considered felony murder if it happens while a felony is being committed.
The following table highlights the main provisions of Virginia's murder laws. See also Voluntary Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter, First Degree Murder Defenses, and First Degree Murder Penalties and Sentencing.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/virginia-law/virginia-murder-laws.html

"willful, deliberate, and premeditated"
--------------------------------
And Capital Murder is not appropriate due to his age and due to the definition of Va. Statutes.

Re Statutory Rape -- Virginia does have, as was said here earlier, a "Romeo & Juliet law" -- so this probably won't be applicable if indeed the teens were intimate and she was consensual.
Virginia has a close-in-age exemption. A close in age exemption, also known as "Romeo and Juliet law", is designed to prevent the prosecution of underage couples who engage in consensual sex when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both are below the age of consent.

Depending on the situation, the Virginia close-in-age exemption may completely exempt qualifying close-in-age couples from the age of consent law, or merely provide a legal defence that can be used in the event of prosecution.
https://www.ageofconsent.net/states/virginia

They didn't really have a lot of alternatives -- but I would have probably been sleeping with one eye & one ear open -- but they must have been, too, to hear the "commotion" in their daughter's bedroom.

And if /when this gets to trial, IMO a defense claim for anything less than 1st Degree Murder is empty thought. He brought a loaded gun, or loaded it before he shot. If that isn't premeditation, then I don't know what is.
To wit:

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/virginia-law/virginia-murder-laws.html

"willful, deliberate, and premeditated"
--------------------------------
And Capital Murder is not appropriate due to his age and due to the definition of Va. Statutes.

Re Statutory Rape -- Virginia does have, as was said here earlier, a "Romeo & Juliet law" -- so this probably won't be applicable if indeed the teens were intimate and she was consensual.

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states/virginia
I really hope he makes a full recovery so he can stand trial. I doubt he will, though, unless he is the worst shot in the world.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think it's very fair or appropriate to characterize the daughter in this case as "messed up" or to extrapolate anything about her character, personality or personal life from one mention of the school she attends. None of us know her situation or her family's situation, and this rush to judgment feels inappropriate, when all signs point to her being a victim. Her name is out there, and she or other family members may come upon this, which I imagine would be hurtful.

Same goes for reading into why donations might go to NAMI -- for example, a friend of mine volunteers with NAMI and is passionate about it, as she's a social worker and mental health is something about which she cares. Everyone has charities they support, for their own personal reasons.

Thank you for your post. I apologize for using the term “messed up.” That was insensitive. I should have used different terminology. It’s very clear that the school does not serve students who can be mainstreamed, however, so I think the fact that she goes there...for whatever reason...helps us see that this situation was way more complex than we originally thought. This wasn’t an average teen being influenced by a teen boyfriend who was a neo Nazi. Both of these teens have some kind of very serious issues making this an even more difficult situation for her parents to deal with. I call that attempting to understand, rather than a “rush to judgement.” Perhaps you can ask that the thread be put in the basement for members only if you feel strongly about it.

A close family member of the boyfriend said that he has mental health issues and I thought a request for a contribution to NAMI was possibly a “noble nod” to that. I should not have used the new knowledge about the school to imply that it was also about their daughter. And I could have just assumed the request was for another unrelated reason.

Good research. But why would she mention legal redemption to the boy’s mother if it had to do with being released from her contract with the school? The website says that the school district pays the tuition anyway.

Without reading the specific definition of redemption, I took it to mean that the boy’s parents couldn’t sue her for telling the school about him, because he was sneaking into their house and was an outspoken Neo Nazi and that would negate any legal recourse for them.

bbm
That's what it sounds like to me as well, reading the "Facts" section of TDS's info:

We serve students from the counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun, Stafford, Spotsylvania, the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church and the District of Columbia

Admissions: Referrals are accepted from school systems, physicians, therapists, community agencies, and family members. An interview and a submittal of previous school and medical records are required. TDS does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, creed or color.

Tuition: Funding for the program may be available through the local school systems under Public Law 94-142. Therefore, tuition and transportation costs are typically paid for by the public school system.

My bold in the above quote.
http://www.thedominionschool.com/facts.htm

I really hope he makes a full recovery so he can stand trial. I doubt he will, though, unless he is the worst shot in the world.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Never know - I've seen people shoot themselves in the head and live - with their brain intact might be missing a nose or jaw. Tortuous life but they live - I guess the fact that they charged him means he will live.

There's no rush to judgement kids do not go to schools like the Dominion school unless they are very seriously disturbed. Even kids who are emotionally disturbed ( in the legal sense of the law) are mostly placed in a self contained class on a regular public school campus. To be placed in n a very restrictive setting such as Dominion it goes above and beyond. Way above and beyond - my own son (whos Autistic) the teachers told me he would never be at the BTC which is our district s version of Dominion. I was surprised because he had extreme behavior issues in kinder - tantrums , hitting the teacher, throwing pencils. There was a kid who was sent to the BTC after he took a flashlight and broke the classroom door window - I'm sure that wasnt an isolated event.

I am sorry, but I think she heard compassion and kindness in her home and he heard resentment and hate in his home and the result of that is here for everyone to see. The girl brought up in a liberal house did not kill her right wing boyfriends parents. The boy brought up in a right wing household killed her parents.

I agree with you, the neighbors who've spoken to reporters had nothing but nice things to say about Buckley and Scott, great people, nice people, caring and kind, and great parents. They were involved, loving and concerned parents, in unchartered waters with a teenage daughter terribly infatuated with the ultimate "bad" boy. While his "neo-nazi" talk worried them, scared them - they had no idea how deeply troubled and troubling he would become. We don't know what his history is, just that his neighbors weren't surprised by his mowing the 40 foot swastika in the community lawn, which they addressed by sending a delegation to talk to the parents of a kid they already knew was troubled - so that wasn't his first incident of acting out. I don't care who you are, you have a troubled kid in your home and you have guns you better make sure they're locked away and secured from all the kids in the house. And yes, if your teenage kid is angry, already proselytizing Neo-Nazi hate-talk, then you might want to temper your own anger and stop mouthing off about physically hurting kids who don't stand for Pledge Allegiance, footballers who kneel and going after illegal immigrants...

I agree with you, the neighbors who've spoken to reporters had nothing but nice things to say about Buckley and Scott, great people, nice people, caring and kind, and great parents. They were involved, loving and concerned parents, in unchartered waters with a teenage daughter terribly infatuated with the ultimate "bad" boy. While his "neo-nazi" talk worried them, scared them - they had no idea how deeply troubled and troubling he would become. We don't know what his history is, just that his neighbors weren't surprised by his mowing the 40 foot swastika in the community lawn, which they addressed by sending a delegation to talk to the parents of a kid they already knew was troubled - so that wasn't his first incident of acting out. I don't care who you are, you have a troubled kid in your home and you have guns you better make sure they're locked away and secured from all the kids in the house. And yes, if your teenage kid is angry, already proselytizing Neo-Nazi hate-talk, then you might want to temper your own anger and stop mouthing off about physically hurting kids who don't stand for Pledge Allegiance, footballers who kneel and going after illegal immigrants...

Yes. There is a false equivalence being proposed about these 2 households which is disturbing and insulting to the murdered parents.

As the parent of a kid with 'troubles' - I don't blame the parents - too many times we are singled out by others to be ineffective, weak parents - those who haven't walked in our shoes have absolutely NO idea - I'm much stronger than the average parent. The parent of an average, no issues child has it easy. No idea at all do they understand what we go through. That being said, I know with my son there was another kid in the class with an older brother who burned down their house 3 x (yes 3 times - I'm friends with their insurance agent, they can no longer get homeowners insurance) and killed the neighbor's cat, stuffing him in the neighbor's mailbox. Stay away from those kids at all costs - even though my son was once in that younger boy's class I never let them have a friendship outside of school, ever. I think any kid who idolizes Nazis is a monster. Its called "antisocial personality disorder" - there is no treatment for it, just keep your children and loved ones away from them.

I don't disagree that I'd not want my daughter dating a Nazi sympathizer. I just don't think he killed her parents b/c of some Nazi ideology. I think they were two very troubled kids who were NOT going to be separated. He was there with her for awhile. If the family hadn't heard them, we'd not be here today. Though, we might be here later down the road, if they got caught...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Columba64
Back