GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
one comment I'd like to make: we can all see she is nervous/scared/shocked .... think about what type of 12 year old girl goes through WalMart without straying one inch from the person she's with, doesn't stop to look at or pick up one erroneous item ----- she was there and she was scared. We just don't know at this time whether it's scared because he told her it's her fault her mom is dead and she better go with him for protection or scared because he said he'd do the same thing to her as her mom if she did anything wrong in WM.

I know when I go with my kids I can't keep them from wondering off and picking EVERYTHING up off the shelves. "Come on...come on...put that down" etc. 30 minutes in WM is a sprint, IMO.

So she placed some items in the cart and on the counter. There is no sound. How do you know he did not tell her to do that?

I don't know anything....none of us do. It's all speculation based on a silent video. I say she looks shell shocked, but cooperative. Like a 12 year old girl who knows her mother is dead.
I said it is 'very scary' too see her cooperating because it IS scary. No matter how many times you see it--as with the case of Shasta walking into the crowded store with her kidnapper--it is just scary as hell-o to see her around all of those people who could help her and her NOT react/behave as a kidnap victim.

His Mom talked to him on Friday. (Possibly in Walmart.)

I believe they bought water as well. (White lids.)

You have to push "credit or debit" and then "okay" the amount as well. So he may not have entered a pin. It does not always ask me to sign, might be a glitch.

I have a totally different perspective... as usual. I actually didn't think she looked terrified. Watching that video was like watching myself at 12... or even now.

Brittany looks like a girl with a low self esteem to me. Her body language is identical to my own. I just kind of follow if I'm in the store with someone, even now. The video of me at Costco last week with my Dad, looked identical to that. Hand position, posture, actions... Identical.

I would think he would have instructed her to remain RIGHT next to him if he was holding her hostage. He does not appear at all concerned that she might take off or something. He doesn't even turn around to make sure she is still there. My Dad does that and I'm 26 years old!

I quickly grab bags out of the cart when I'm shopping with someone, to try and please them. I grab them and put them in the cart. Then I quickly return to a "defensive or submissive" body posture as it has been described. I quickly unload them when we get to the vehicle too.

When the alarm goes off it looks to me like Brittany quickly backs up, to avoid being in the way of the person coming to check the cart. Not wanting to cause an issue or be a nuisance. I would also think she would be nervous, security guards coming.. she is 12. Doesn't want to get in trouble.. I am terrified of authority figures. You should see me after I get pulled over...

I would expect him to be a bit nervous checking out, I am every time I use anything other than cash and I'm not doing anything illegal. He was using someone else's card and could have been arrested for it. I'd be nervous too.

Although it was creepy to watch, it gives me a bit more hope... just because that's how I act everyday... I think it's possible Brittany simply has a low self esteem and that is the reason for her behavior. I do still think a murder suicide is a possibility though...

I have to agree. If she was taken by force, there is no way he would have turned his back on her for a second. She does look nervous to me, though. Could be for a number of reasons. Could be that she didn't know about her Mother at the time and wondered WTH she was doing there buying camping equipment for 2. Could be she knew what happened to her Mom and was brainwashed by this guy. Could be that she had recently started feeling uncomfortable around him. I don't know, but she didn't look to me like she was forced t be there.

OK, so another comment... check out her stance at the checkout counter - after putting bags in cart, stand, pull left leg up at an angle towards her body with hands clasped in front of her... seems defensive to me One stands like that when bored or basic body language of a barrier pretty sure she wasn't bored

one comment I'd like to make: we can all see she is nervous/scared/shocked .... think about what type of 12 year old girl goes through WalMart without straying one inch from the person she's with, doesn't stop to look at or pick up one erroneous item ----- she was there and she was scared. We just don't know at this time whether it's scared because he told her it's her fault her mom is dead and she better go with him for protection or scared because he said he'd do the same thing to her as her mom if she did anything wrong in WM.
I so agree!! I have a 13 yr old and he would NEVER walk around like that with me, he is usually looking around either in my aisle or the next one over. He's constantly trying to see if he can 'sneak away' from me to go look at stuff. She definitely isn't comfortable, whether she knows or not, something is off.

looks like one of those flashlight packs to me - wrapped in hard plastic that is ridiculous to open

I haven't seen the video yet, but -- is it possible they won't release everything because he bought video equipment? That was a much bigger tent than someone needed to keep two people warm while sleeping - seems like dimensions were 13 feet by something?!? Heat rises: in cold weather you'd want a smaller tent so you body heat keeps it warm better. I'm afraid he had other plans in mind... :(

If the phone calls are what leads LE to think he has an accomplice, then LE knows who it is. I'm sure they've checked the cell phone records by now.

ETA: just watched the video. Didn't see anything that resembled video equipment, or any tech/electronic stuff.

Just wanted to say just because he dosnt appear to have scraches on his hand's are arms dosny really mean anything. When the man who beat my nephew to death was caught he only had scraches on his leg's from running thru brush. If he used something besides his hands to beat her he may not have any injury's. JMO

The white lids to me seemed like NyQuil bottles. Maybe he wanted something to give her so she'd get drowsy.

He also made a sweeping crossing of his leg after the alarm too. Nervous?

I noticed that too - like he was trying to seem normal without any worries - casual liek he wasn't nervous at all - but notice he didn't attempt to pull the cart back in the store - the other person had to do it. He just simply froze. MO

The investigators know, but not necessarily at top of mind of chief ... wouldn't want to say something and be proven wrong later on a matter that is irrelevant. They know the card and they know it hasn't been used again.

One thing I wonder was the Sporting Goods department the only department they were in ? I know they sell individual Gatorades over with the sports gear, which is right there. I don't see any other footage of any other area in the store.

I'm about to go there now and see what the Hell they purchased !

If you do - see if there is anything (blanket like) that has a drawstring bag - seems to me that I saw a bag around what others think is a blanket.

The white lids to me seemed like NyQuil bottles. Maybe he wanted something to give her so she'd get drowsy.
You know, I had a thought yesterday, I hope they are checking videos from ABC stores. There is an ABC store about 1/2 mile from this walmart. I can totally see him purchasing alcohol for the trip as well.

Hey Japandaa, if you do get to WalMart, check out the sleeping bags and see if any of them come in that dark blue bag. Thanks! I will be checking my WalMart out too, but they might have a different inventory here in Georgia.

If you do - see if there is anything (blanket like) that has a drawstring bag - seems to me that I saw a bag around what others think is a blanket.

IMO.... you did. One was in a draw string bag with a large white tag on the bottom. The other one looked like a throw rolled up with the wide white cardboard holder around it. The white capped bottles are just water bottles most likely.

It seems to me, if JE purchased a tent, most likely, the other items in question are sleeping bags not blankets. All camping gear. I'm not sure why it would matter if it were blankets vs sleeping bags though?

Hey Japandaa, if you do get to WalMart, check out the sleeping bags and see if any of them come in that dark blue bag. Thanks! I will be checking my WalMart out too, but they might have a different inventory here in Georgia.

and what were they looking at for so long on those two back endcaps? could he have put something in his pants that may have triggered the alarm? any weapons there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmb123