GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no math whiz but I think the cost of gas to go across country would be more like $709.

The actual number of miles is closer to 3,000. And, the cost of gas varies as you go. However, using the figure of 2,750 miles times belimom's $2.58, I get $709.50.

Gotta run, but check the math (I know this doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, by the way!)....

$2.58 for 25 miles, approx. $1/mile...

LOL, now I sound like I'm 12 years old here. Sorry for the OT remark, but have to laugh at myself a little.

Hey, if ya can't insert a bit of levity on a pre-Christmas Saturday, when CAN ya??

Have a great shopping spree, but try to leave a few things on the shelves for the rest of us!

So, they were pan-handling? Did this guy not know that their faces were all over the news?

I'm glad she has been found safe! I was so worried this would end up being a murder-suicide...

The thing is to the west the were NOT all over the news, in fact they weren't on the news at all. Nobody from Colorado and to the west that I know had even heard of them (including SAR and LE). The focus was not to the west, so I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the states, minus the handful that had amber alerts had any news going out about the case.

Somebody, somewhere at some time, has seen an awful lot of the people who are missing and just not known it. This was just a case of right time, right place, right person, thank the heavens.

They're not going to charge anyone with murder until they put all their evidence together. They need probable cause to get a warrant...all their i's must be dotted, t's crossed. It must be done in such a way that the case can't be tossed out on some tiny technicality. That would accomplish nothing. It generally doesn't work as fast as on TV, even though that would be great!

I think LE has enough on this dude to hold him without bail just for kidnapping (taking a minor across state lines) and the FBI can be involved in this too. That gives them a lot of time to investigate the mothers murder. JMO

Taking Brittany across state lines, if he sexually assaulted her, will bring yet another charge against him...I do hope they find the truth in what happened to Tina and pray that Brittany will be absolved in that alleged murder. She's a child tho she may appear older, she's only 12 y/o!

I am so happy Brittany was found alive, happier yet, that people are aware of their surroundings and did what was right for Brittany...She should not have been with him at all...JMHO

Justice for Tina

Was the spotter someone from Websleuths?

I'm more intrigued by the logic of an adult who even attempts to drive across the country without realizing how much gas that takes and how much that costs.

ETA: Okay, this bugged me so I had to look it up. A 2005 Neon gets a combined (city/highway) MPG of 25MPG. With an average of $2.58 to go 25 miles, that would be about $258 to drive 2500 miles.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20694.shtml

You are so right! I just checked the Greyhound site, and a one-way ticket from Roanoke to SF for ONE ADULT (over 11 yrs old) is about $250... For two, that's $500. One tank of gas for the same trip is about $250.

Hmmm...:waitasec:

ETA: We don't know where they ran out of gas, but I'm assuming the costs would still be relative for the bus or filling the tank.

I think that may speak to an unplanned murder and play it as you go get away. JMO

at most gas stations you can just swipe that credit card at the pump without ever having to see a cashier. no PIN number or signature required

I have always had to put a pin number and sometimes the billing zip code at the gas stations pump when I am not going into the store.

If they had as much baggage as the story claimed (enough for a family of 4) they obviously didn't "sneak" onto any bus. I've traveled by bus to Florida (mom is afraid to fly) and there is a limit as to how much baggage you can take with you. IIRC it was 2 bags and one smaller bag that would fit in the overhead.
Also, when I read the quote from the bank employee, I thought she meant bags, like plastic trash bags. :D After reconsideration, she probably meant suitcases or tote/duffel bags, due to the "family of 4" term. Regardless, I'm still interested in the contents.

I guess JE didn't want to leave their all their "stuff" unattended at the tent.

I have always have to put a pin number and sometimes the billing zip code at the gas stations pump when I am not going into the store.

If I choose CC at the pump instead of Debit I just have to use the zip code, but he may have known that using the CC would enable the police to track him.

I think the "ran out of gas" may have been a line he used on BS. He knew he couldn't keep that car very long.

UGH...can't wait for the details of this case to come out. IF they come out.

I have always have to put a pin number and sometimes the billing zip code at the gas stations pump when I am not going into the store.

Here in Pa we have to have the PIN to use a debit card, but not a credit card.

If I choose CC at the pump instead of Debit I just have to use the zip code, but he may have known that using the CC would enable the police to track him.
True, but then how did he pay for bus tickets?

I think they had more money than LE thought they did. Not alot, but more than what was thought.

I think they had more money than LE thought they did. Not alot, but more than what was thought.

I think he did to. I think he is stupid as all get out.

I also think this case it a perfect example of why national amber alert should be put out in cases like this and Shasta ,and Adj's. or anytime there is a confirmed murder and kidnapping.

LE knows people who have commited murder and would be willing to travel and use extreme methods to get away with it and taking a child with them means they are not done with their criminal acts.

You're forgetting that the car would get more than 1 mile per gallon. If it actually got 25, the lower figure would be correct.

I always thought that Amber Alerts were nation wide...........
just learning that it is state to state, how dumb!
Should be NATIONWIDE!!! and alert CANADA/MEXICO borders asap!!!
Buslines and Airports, esp when it is a child and a murder just occured!!!

Service organizations...Red Cross, ministerial associations, etc....often have $ for tickets for stranded motorists but, if they dealt with an agency, it's even more amazing that they didn't get caught. Folks on buses don't tend to be very attentive though. Besides, have the cops seen the bus ticket stubs? The trucker-friend theory makes a lot more sense to me (just MHO, of course).

Is he smart enough to NOT use a papertrail?
Would he be dumb enough to use his own check?
(knowing it would bounce)
Maybe, just maybe he did have more money on him than LE thought.
Did Tina have Christmas money in the house for presents?
Did he cash a paycheck?
Sell the car for ticket to CA???
Have a friend 'loan' him money?
Sell Tina's jewelry??? pawn shop?

Perhaps Brittany had money as well. I know several kids that age that have several hundred dollars stashed (birthday, holiday, etc presents).

I'm leaning to the trucker, not just 1 but a couple.
Trucking is lonely, having company helps.
Can JE drive a big truck and help a trucker out?
So many questions...........

Is there a presser scheduled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads