GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From this report previously posted:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/26098216/detail.html

"Police say Easley fled Virginia with his girlfriend's 12-year-old daughter a week ago and a few days later the girl's mother was found murdered in her home. A source with San Francisco Police said that Easely attempted to drive the 12-year-old girl across the country but ran out of gas, forcing them to take a bus to San Francisco. Police were still looking for Easely's vehicle Friday."
Sounds like they had quite the head start, which could explain why they could travel by bus without anyone reporting them at that time. And yes, I think the bus ride was a deliberate effort to ditch the traceable car. People tend to "blend in" on the bus, just like they can usually "blend in" in large cities. Fortunately someone was on the ball and spotted them!

does anyone have a link to a station that will be streaming the 1pm presser?

I thought the presser is gonna be at 3pm ??

I am so relieved that they found Brittany and got that evil creep. I can't help shake this feeling that Brittany might have been involved with what happened to her mom. I don't want this to be the case but there have been many crimes that are perpetuated by seemingly wonderful children against there parents. Mainly this is brought on by the girls parent or parents forbidding them something, i.e, a boyfriend. They feel they would do anything to stay together, even the unthinkable, murder.

LE will figure out what went down that day I pray she was not involved!

Amber Alert cancelled after girl found safe in San Francisco
The amber alert for 12-year-old Brittany Smith has been canceled.
Investigators say someone recognized Smith and her alleged abductor Jeff Easley in California and called police.
"It's with a tremendous sense of relief that I say we have located Brittany. She is well and she is in good hands at this time," said Roanoke County Police Chief Jim Lavinder.
More.... Video included...

Missing Brittany coming home
A hunt for missing Roanoke County 12-year-old Brittany Smith and her accused abductor ended Friday when a San Francisco store clerk recognized them from a wanted poster and called the police, who found them near a tent.
Brittany wasn't physically hurt, said Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder. Her slain mother's live-in boyfriend, Jeffrey Easley, 32, was nabbed without a fight and charged on a Roanoke County arrest warrant with abduction. Roanoke County authorities will swiftly move to extradite him to Virginia, Lavinder said.
"I'm happy, believe me I'm happy," Lavinder said Friday night. "All of us wanted so much for her to be safe."
More...

Brittany Smith has been found
It's a great evening for us." Those were the words from Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder about finding 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith safe in San Francisco. He said someone in a retail store recognized Brittany and 32-year-old Jeffrey Easley after seeing media reports about her disappearance.
More...

Missing girl found safe in San Francisco

Roanoke County police detectives are heading to California after a 12-year-old girl who had been missing for a week was found unharmed in San Francisco.
Officials say Roanoke County police will work with California authorities and return Brittany Mae Smith and the man accused in her abduction to Virginia.
More...

S.F. shopper helps capture fugitive, kidnap victim
A relieved Virginia police chief extended an emotional thank-you from across the country to a San Francisco woman who spotted a fugitive sought in a slaying and kidnapping as she shopped at a Safeway in the Outer Richmond on Friday afternoon.
"We're so thankful to her - for a person to be that observant, 3,000 miles away, is almost incredible," Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder said about the unidentified shopper who recognized Jeffrey Scott Easley, 32, from a TV report and called police, leading to his arrest and the recovery of 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith.
More...

And if they ran out of gas, why not use the money it took to buy bus tickets to buy more? :waitasec: Seems they had some money......or something.

I would guess he saw the vehicle on an amber alert sign and ditched the car asap.

http://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandtravel/default.aspx

Here are the ways to buy a ticket for someone.
They either had fake ID, stolen ID, or they used their own ID and it didn't come up in the search for her? Which would be frightening to say the least.

I agree with the poster upthread (sorry to lazy to go look for the name!) who said the fact that Brittany had no visible injuries and was comfortable enough with him to argue with him, and argue with him in public seems to say something about their dynamic.

I am just happy she was able to navigate the situation in a way that kept her alive. But it is much different than other cases we have seen, like Elizabeth Smart, who was too terrified to ask for help when an officer talked to her.

Just popped back in...Before going back and catching up... can someone let me know if there will be a presser today? TIA

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see the above requests prior to asking. (redfaced)

I am so relieved that they found Brittany and got that evil creep. I can't help shake this feeling that Brittany might have been involved with what happened to her mom. I don't want this to be the case but there have been many crimes that are perpetuated by seemingly wonderful children against there parents. Mainly this is brought on by the girls parent or parents forbidding them something, i.e, a boyfriend. They feel they would do anything to stay together, even the unthinkable, murder.

LE will figure out what went down that day I pray she was not involved!

Glad to hear good news for a change.
Anyone read or see the book/movie Lolita?
The mom's new husband conspires to kill the mother to run away with the daughter?
It made me immediately think of this girl's situation- manipulated into a very unhealthy situation with an obviously disturbed man.
The use of hcb= hand cuff buddy a common hip-hop/ slang used by younger teens to show a commitment aka friends forever, friends 'til death, I'll go to jail for you, I'll never snitch on you and pic-partners in crime is very disturbing to use between an adult and a child.
very codependent.
yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads