Identified! VA - Virginia Beach, WhtMale UP 9528, natural causes, Oct'01 - Samuel Barnard

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/va-beach-police-trying-id-man-who-died-2001

Oh wow how did I miss this? Published 11/20/12 (oh wait, I was in El Salvador that day)

"By Sarah Hutchins
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 20, 2012
VIRGINIA BEACH

Police are asking for help as they try to identify a man who died at a Burger King more than 10 years ago.

The man, who did not have identification on him, ran into the fast-food restaurant at 524 Laskin Road on Oct. 16, 2001. He collapsed on the floor without saying anything, police said.

The man was wearing shorts, a green T-shirt and size-9½ tan boat shoes. Police believe he was between 50 and 69 years old. He did not have any identifying marks or tattoos.

Police ask that anyone with information about the man call the Police Department’s detective bureau at 757-385-4101 or contact Detective Kevin Lokey at 757-385-1890."

Blues at the Beach (http://www.natchelblues.org/events/BluesAtTheBeachHistory.html)

"#8 - October 5-7, 2001 - 17th Street Stage
Debbie Davies
John Mooney
Michael Burks
Roy Roberts
Sean Costello
Walter "Wolfman" Washington
Buddy Parker Band

Notes: The first really bad weather fest. Saturday's day long chilly drizzle leaves the Parker, Davies, Costello and Mooney sets all wet...under sunnier skies, new artist Michael Burks steals the festival from the veterans on Sunday."

The closest "marina" would be the Cavalier Yacht Club. They are ~5 doors down from the BK, inland.

Now, I don't mean to judge, BUT.... would someone wearing k-mart shoes be a member of a yacht club? Possibly, yes. Probably, no.

There is also the Princess Anne Country Club. I will e-mail both to inquire about abandoned boats. -- NM PACC doesn't have a marina.

I dunno. A rich man is not going to wear his fancy clothes and shoes while he's out painting the lanyards, or whatever it is that one paints on a yacht. He'd put on his old cheap pants and shoes while he was working.

I dunno. A rich man is not going to wear his fancy clothes and shoes while he's out painting the lanyards, or whatever it is that one paints on a yacht. He'd put on his old cheap pants and shoes while he was working.

And honestly, his teeth, state of his skin and hair alone, to me, indicate he earned a decent salary at some point in time. He looked to be pretty well taken care of in that regard.

Perhaps he is working on his boat and decides to take a walk to get something to eat. Maybe he is held up in the parking lot or nearby hence why he was running into the BK. But there would surely be a boat reported abandoned, right?

From the looks of his hair and skin it seems that he has been in the sun. You know how hair gets sun bleached and his skin is darker. It says his eye color is brown, wish they had a composite of that. They run Deep Sea Fishing out of that Boat Dock. Maybe he was a worker on one of those.

Perhaps he is working on his boat and decides to take a walk to get something to eat. Maybe he is held up in the parking lot or nearby hence why he was running into the BK. But there would surely be a boat reported abandoned, right?

From what I've seen they don't really list or keep a decent list of abandoned boats. So many people buy them seeking adventure and then when the payments get to be too much they just let them sit. Soon they're turned over to the marina owners who have to post notice in the papers -- the VIN of the boat is on the bottom (Correct me if I'm wrong) so it's too hard for them to deal with it, etc etc -- then the boats get sold at auction or shipped off (no pun intended har har) to dry rot.

From the looks of his hair and skin it seems that he has been in the sun. You know how hair gets sun bleached and his skin is darker. It says his eye color is brown, wish they had a composite of that. They run Deep Sea Fishing out of that Boat Dock. Maybe he was a worker on one of those.

[ICON side note: ho ho NO] LOL sorry :X grumpy christmas cat is the best

Back to the topic at hand: I wish someone could make a composite of him and not just have his dead face all over everything. I'd like to start a facebook page for him a la "tourist killed by train in australia" but I can't bring myself to plaster a dead man's dead face all over facebook.

Anone have any idea what the other businesses are between the marina and burger king are?
http://binged.it/W3fccp

Is there a way to tell if any cars were impounded/towed in that time frame?

If you note there is a gas station within a short walk on either side of the Burger King. There is what looks to be a grocery store on the other side (if all this was present 10 years ago). I would think if he was in trouble, mugged, etc., he could have run into any of those places. So either he was running because he was late- or whatever happened to him happened after he passed one of the gas stations and he was now closer to Burger King.

The closest "marina" would be the Cavalier Yacht Club. They are ~5 doors down from the BK, inland.

Now, I don't mean to judge, BUT.... would someone wearing k-mart shoes be a member of a yacht club? Possibly, yes. Probably, no.

There is also the Princess Anne Country Club. I will e-mail both to inquire about abandoned boats. -- NM PACC doesn't have a marina.

Growing up, I had a few friends that had boats at a large marina on the West Coast (marina del rey). What surprised me is that it is friendlier than an average neighborhood. Boat owners talk to each other, check up with each other and seem to know most people around the docks. In addition to that the Harbormaster has to check in all boats/owners that come in (to charge them their fee). The boat gas station is also a place where a boat owner would have direct contact with a person. So what I am getting at is if he was a boat owner, I think someone would have noticed him missing and connected the dots. For sure, the marina would be noticing if someone wasn't paid up.
JMO

He might have been recently retired (last 2-4 years) and followed his dream of having a boat and traveling around the world from port to port. I know that used to be my retirement pipe dream; lots of people follow through.

A typical pattern is to sail around the northern coasts in the summer and make your way down to Florida or the Caribbean after the hurricane season, as winter gets closer.

2011 was very stormy on the east coast -- Irene was the worst of it, but not all of it. He could have put in for a couple of weeks to repair the damage.

And if the last his family heard from him was before one of the storms, they might think he was lost at sea.

I have a second theory as well, but I'm going to put it in a separate post just to make it easier to keep track of.

Theory 2: he was hitchhiking. His ride stopped for gas. He said, "I need some lunch."
His ride said, "Okay, but hurry, because I'm not waiting for you."

So he ran as fast as he could to Burger King. His ride finished gassing up and whatever else he needed to do. Our guy wasn't back yet, so the driver headed back on the road to wherever he was going to, not realizing his passenger was in trouble.

I feel like he ran into Burger King because of chest pains and it was the closet thing he could find. I don't think it had to do with lunch because the report says he said nothing at all upon entering and before dying.

The more I think about this, the more I think he could be anyone from anywhere.

My uncle is a very successful professional. But if you saw him on the weekend or on vacation he looks like a slob. Baggy stained khaki pants, faded T-shirt, etc. Apparently. my grandfather was the same way. He was actually thought to be a homeless person more than once...and he had a nice home, a bunch of kids and a comfortable income. So this unfortunate soul could have had nothing to do with painting or sailing or construction. Instead, he could just be down there on vacation.
Or a visiting sailor.
Or living in one of the nearby apartments, and just headed to grab a bite to eat.
Or many other scenarios.

So I guess the field is pretty open. Sigh.

I feel like he ran into Burger King because of chest pains and it was the closet thing he could find. I don't think it had to do with lunch because the report says he said nothing at all upon entering and before dying.

I just assumed he died immediately after entering?

That he didn't have time to say anything before being stricken does not mean that he didn't intend to order something.

This is just bizarre. There is a reason that man was in that area if he did not live there. Someone has to know what it is...

I just assumed he died immediately after entering?

I think he did die immediately after entering. But IDK because I wasn't there. I wonder if we could access the file somehow and get witness statements.

Would a FOIA request produce the file, I wonder? I emailed the VBPD asking about the case. We'll see what happens.

Also, his case isn't listed on the VBPD website... not sure why as there are three other JDs listed. Maybe they solved it?

[ICON side note: ho ho NO] LOL sorry :X grumpy christmas cat is the best

Back to the topic at hand: I wish someone could make a composite of him and not just have his dead face all over everything. I'd like to start a facebook page for him a la "tourist killed by train in australia" but I can't bring myself to plaster a dead man's dead face all over facebook.

CarlK was nice enough to do a reconstruction for me for a John Doe case I am working on based off of a single post mortem photo...

CarlK was nice enough to do a reconstruction for me for a John Doe case I am working on based off of a single post mortem photo...

i was thinking of his talents too! he did another great one for a JD in another case. i wish i had that skill but i def do not. i agree that a composite would be really helpful

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back