Vatican calling for Boycott of Da Vinci Code

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Glow said:
Well It's ok if we disagree right? This thread has provided lots of food for thought and I respect your thoughts.

Bottom line? Many people in the Bible pleased God apart from the law (Noah, Job, Abraham & others) I feel it is still possible to please God apart from viewing the 10 as law. I do feel they are wonderful guiding principals however.

I did a term paper years ago on ways the Law benefited the Jews physically compared to the medical health of the nations around them. I developed an enormous appreciation for this unique document. It has in fact no equal.
So as far as respect I think that you and I do agree on that one point.

You mentioned that you didnt know of any Christian church that doesnt feel they are still binding today. I agree with you there also.

And yet, other than the Jews and the Seventh Day Adventists, who keeps the Sabbath? Nobody. And that was one of the 10 commandments. So they believe it "en masse" but they dont DO it?

This is why I shake my head at organized religion as a whole.

As I said earlier, I appreciate where you're coming from and enjoy reading all your posts DK. :blowkiss:
Yes, we can disagree, of course, lol! I enjoy your posts, as well. :blowkiss:

You are correct that many don't rest on the Sabbath as they probably should. I have been trying to more.

cappuccina said:
....a lot of educated Roman Catholics are questioning the supposed "absolute prohibition" against ordaining women as priests...

http://www.womenpriests.org/index.asp
Yes and there always will be. But, we're not a democracy, so too bad, LOL! :crazy: And they can be educated all they want, since you mentioned that, but no one can trump Christ's knowledge, and the Church won't either. Those same people are free to leave the Church, of course, but it's nice that they stay despite their disagreement with it. But the Church won't change just to fit them no matter who they are and how many websites they have. :)

....There is no proof that the Bible is anything more than allegory combined with some historical fact. Therefore, it should not matter if women are priests, as long as they have the necessary qualifications, are wanting to be priests for the right reasons, etc...

There is no empirical data of any kind that proives in any way, shape or form that Jesus was anything other than a great philosopher, teacher, and a leader of a new (at the time) religious movement. Therefore, it is only your opinion that women cannot be priests, which is derived form the Vatican's opinion of such, which is derived from their belief that most everything in the Bible is literally true...

There are no facts to prove such, other than the antiquties discovered by archaeologists that prove the existence of certain individuals and events of the time, but in no way prove that Jesus was resurrected or anything else of this type...

(Waiting for 'Tis to start throwing stones at me... LOL)

cappuccina said:
....There is no proof that the Bible is anything more than allegory combined with some historical fact. Therefore, it should not matter if women are priests, as long as they have the necessary qualifications, are wanting to be priests for the right reasons, etc...

There is no empirical data of any kind that proives in any way, shape or form that Jesus was anything other than a great philosopher, teacher, and a leader of a new (at the time) religious movement. Therefore, it is only your opinion that women cannot be priests, which is derived form the Vatican's opinion of such, which is derived from their belief that most everything in the Bible is literally true...

There are no facts to prove such, other than the antiquties discovered by archaeologists that prove the existence of certain individuals and events of the time, but in no way prove that Jesus was resurrected or anything else of this type...

No stone throwing from me, Cappy, but it is not a Catholic "belief that most everything in the Bible is literally true...".

Catholics believe in the Scriptures, both the Old and New Testament. We believe that the Bible was inspired by God, but not literally dictated, word for word. Catholics allow for times when the writers used metaphors, and for images that were particular to their cultures. We also believe in Sacred Tradition, those teachings that were handed on from one generation to the next. And we also believe in the infallible teachings of the Magisterium. To a Catholic, those elements comprise the fullness of The Truth.

To me, it is really quite simple. You either accept the teachings of the Church or you don't. No one is forcing anyone who can't accept the teachings to remain a member of the Church.

Maral said:
To me, it is really quite simple. You either accept the teachings of the Church or you don't. No one is forcing anyone who can't accept the teachings to remain a member of the Church.
It really is that simple.PLus, It brings us back full circle to the topic about accepting or denying the requested boycott.

You can see from this thread how powerful Catholicism really is. It provokes thought and discussion from Catholics and Non-Catholics alike.

cappuccina said:

Why would I throw stones at you? You are not Catholic, so what does it matter to you whether women are Priests or not?
Whether you believe that The Bible is a fictional story or truly about the Life of Jesus The Son of God/God/Third person of The Blessed Trinity, that's a personal believe.

I have no problem with you believing it or not, to each their own, whatever floats your boat.

What I do have a problem with is you insinuating that what others believe in is wrong, You do have an incessant habit of doing that, and it does get incessantly annoying.

All I am asking you is for empirical data regarding your beliefs....

I feel it is very important that women be allowed to be priests, as women are not second class citizens and there is no logical or empirical reason to bar this from this vocation. You seem to have a thing about controlling what people say and what beliefs they can and cannot have. You might be a lot happier, and would probably become more tolerant in the process, if you let the whole "attitude thang" go...

Maral...I understand what you are saying. People can believe in whatever they want to. The reason that I press 'Tis and DK harder is because they insist that their beliefs are empirically correct and the only "way" as it were....This I have trouble with, as it can become arrogant (in the case of 'Tis). With DK, I think that he truly believes in what he says he believes in, and his faith is a great comfort to him...In other words DK, please correct me if I am wrong....I think his faith is deeply personal and extremely important to him.

'Tism I get the sense from you that everything is a contest or a "one-upsmanship," and chance to tell people they are wrong and to correct them...This type of behavior usually results from people being uncomfortable with themselves and having issues to resolve...

cappuccina said:

I feel it is very important that women be allowed to be priests, as women are not second class citizens and there is no logical or empirical reason to bar this from this vocation. You seem to have a thing about controlling what people say and what beliefs they can and cannot have. You might be a lot happier, and would probably become more tolerant in the process, if you let the whole "attitude thang" go...

Maral...I understand what you are saying. People can believe in whatever they want to. The reason that I press 'Tis and DK harder is because they insist that their beliefs are empirically correct and the only "way" as it were....This I have trouble with, as it can become arrogant (in the case of 'Tis). With DK, I think that he truly believes in what he says he believes in, and his faith is a great comfort to him...In other words DK, please correct me if I am wrong....I think his faith is deeply personal and extremely important to him.

'Tism I get the sense from you that everything is a contest or a "one-upsmanship," and chance to tell people they are wrong and to correct them...This type of behavior usually results from people being uncomfortable with themselves and having issues to resolve...

you hit the nail on the head with this one....i've tried to stay away from this thread as much as possible, (other than a couple of "LOL's" & some comments on the movie/book) for fear i'd blow a gasket & post something that would "require" another threat of being banned, but i'm so glad someone else feels the same way...

this is not directed at any person in particular...

for those who understand, no explanation is necessary. for those who dont, no explanation will suffice.

intolerance is rarely unlearned.

love one another. love really is all there is.

Mira said:
for those who understand, no explanation is necessary. for those who dont, no explanation will suffice.

I wrote this long long posts saying something similar. but I checked before I posted and i am glad I did.
This sums it all up and is so true.

I see DK, Maral, and Tis being asked over and over and over to defend why what they believe in to be the only Truth. But I think all of them are saying it is THEIR truth. No more,no less.

cappuccina said:

I feel it is very important that women be allowed to be priests, as women are not second class citizens and there is no logical or empirical reason to bar this from this vocation. You seem to have a thing about controlling what people say and what beliefs they can and cannot have. You might be a lot happier, and would probably become more tolerant in the process, if you let the whole "attitude thang" go..
What empirical data?
You don't believe the Bible is For Real, I do. I don't care if you don't believe it, believe what you want. What do you want me to do Hit you over the head with The Bible?

Ok so you feel it is important so fine.
What difference does it make you are not Catholic?
What am I controlling? please tell me, specifics please.
I don't care what you believe, if you think women should be Priests fine. again your Not Catholic so it makes no difference. Believe what you want.
What attitude thang?
Cappuccina You can believe or say whatever you want, doesn't matter to me. My beliefs are totally different from yours and that's fine, I'm not looking to change yours and I am happy with mine.

cappuccina said:
Cappucina You have many times on here said negative things about the Faith that I love very much. Because I have posted in defensive of that faith and it has bristled you, you have in return seen the need to accuse me of being controlling, unhappy with myself having issues to resolve and uncomfotable with myself.
I have NOT once ever attacked your beliefs, you have attacked My Church I cannot even count the times and yet you accuse me of "one upmanship". You have posted untruths about The Church I love, THAT is THEE only time I have told you you are wrong.

Do you think that is is OK to keep posting on a thread and post negatives about others Faiths and they are just supposed to sit back and not say anything? AND When answers are given over and over again the same nagatives are posted over and over again by the same poster?

I have no issues to resolve Cappucina I love my Faith very much, unfortunately it is something someone like you will never understand.

JBean said:
I wrote this long long posts saying something similar. but I checked before I posted and i am glad I did.

I see DK, Maral, and Tis being asked over and over and over to defend why what they believe in to be the only Truth. But I think all of them are saying it is THEIR truth. No more,no less.
Exactly and thank you, I don't care what anyone else believes, This is what I believe.
People start posting and attacking what I believe as a Catholic and then get offended and start accusing me of all kinds of things because I am defending my beliefs and Faith againsts attacks I never started in the first place. Now ain't that the pitts?

TisHerself said:
Exactly and thank you, I don't care what anyone else believes, This is what I believe.
People start posting and attacking what I believe as a Catholic and then get offended and start accusing me of all kinds of things because I am defending my beliefs and Faith againsts attacks I never started in the first place. Now ain't that the pitts?
I think you have done a terrific job in this thread!!! We've all been dealing with posts that are not accurate, and sometimes outright false, and now some have turned to personal attacks, but you continue to handle yourself just fine. :blowkiss:

JBean said:

i don't see it that way at all....Maral, IMO has come across with some logic & good info regarding the CC..she hasn't become defensive/irate/hurt, whatever.....she seems to see all this logically....others want to argue & call anyone who questions the church, 'catholic haters'...windovervocalcords, cap, & some others brought up some good questions & posted some very interesting links with info....(i've learned a lot)...i don't see where any of them, out & out, tried to MAKE anyone defend their beliefs...maybe the people FELT like they should defend their beliefs, but all in all it seemed like people were just questioning things for the most part, with links/info included....

if someone wants to pray to a mayonaise jar, it's their right i guess, but that doesn't mean that others can't question it....religion is such a 'sticky' subject anyway, but i feel like cap has had some very good questions & observations regarding the CC, & i also think she/he has come across with class.....

close_enough said:
i don't see it that way at all....Maral, IMO has come across with some logic & good info regarding the CC..she hasn't become defensive/irate/hurt, whatever.....she seems to see all this logically....others want to argue & call anyone who questions the church, 'catholic haters'...windovervocalcords, cap, & some others brought up some good questions & posted some very interesting links with info....(i've learned a lot)...i don't see where any of them, out & out, tried to MAKE anyone defend their beliefs...maybe the people FELT like they should defend their beliefs, but all in all it seemed like people were just questioning things for the most part, with links/info included....

if someone wants to pray to a mayonaise jar, it's their right i guess, but that doesn't mean that others can't question it....religion is such a 'sticky' subject anyway, but i feel like cap has had some very good questions & observations regarding the CC, & i also think she/he has come across with class.....
Hi Close..I love ya but I have to disagree.Religion IS an emotional issue for many.I think more than one have lost their cool on this thread.But that comes with the territory.
I think it is human nature to protect what we find precious, especially if it is attacked over and over.
I definitiely do not debate religion and my hat is off to ALL of the posters on this thread for their ability to do so.
I find it a dead end topic, beccause rarely do I see someone thump themselves on the head and have an "aha"! moment and jump to the other side.

ETA: Close in rereading your post I do agree with some parts of it. :blowkiss:

JBean said:
Hi Close..I love ya but I have to disagree.Religion IS an emotional issue for many.I think more than one have lost their cool on this thread.But that comes with the territory.
I think it is human nature to protect what we find precious, especially if it is attacked over and over.
I definitiely do not debate religion and my hat is off to ALL of the posters on this thread for their ability to do so.
I find it a dead end topic, beccause rarely do I see someone thump themsleves on the ahead and have an "aha"! moment and jump to the other side.

JBean, i understand what you're saying...lol, & i love ya too...i thought long & hard before i posted my comments, but i felt it needed to be 'said'....i won't have anything else to say here.....

lol, there's another thread i'm just dying to respond on, but i know i'd get banned for sure, so i won't....not yet anyway :cool:

close_enough said:
JBean, i understand what you're saying...lol, & i love ya too...i thought long & hard before i posted my comments, but i felt it needed to be 'said'....i won't have anything else to say here.....

lol, there's another thread i'm just dying to respond on, but i know i'd get banned for sure, so i won't....not yet anyway :cool:
DO IT! I dare you:) :silenced: :) :silenced: :chicken: You won;t get banned. oh wait I think I know which one...never mind..don't do it:) :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back