Verdict: GUILTY!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to hope that the evidence is compelling enough for the jurors to reach some level of a guilty verdict.

Not just because many of us believe that would be a just verdict, but also because it will really mess up those jurors' minds badly if they get hung, or let him off on on some technicality, or because of debates about T's testimony - only to find out all that we're aware of now - that they aren't.

Can you imagine how they'd feel after the fact? They can only go by what's been presented in court, but what a blast in the cajones it would be to walk out and learn all of the rest of this afterwards.

The upside of this thought is that if they do come back with guilty verdicts, they'll have a greater sense of peace and sleep easier knowing that they've made the right choice to keep this locked away for life.

After knowing now what kind of pages were found on this <modsnip>s laptop I guess we know now too what the comment: not young enough meant.
It makes me sooo SICK

It's been explained before. LE got warrants to search his house and his car, but apparently were advised they didn't need separate warrants for the laptop and hard drive. This was a grey area because the law was changing at the time. It looks like the judge went by the new law, not the old one and disallowed the electronic evidence. It's still a grey area because of when it happened and could well be revisited if there's an appeal.

If something goes wrong and MR is not convicted on all 3 counts, I think this is a very, very, very good appeal point for the Crown. It is my opinion that the Judge errored in his ruling to suppress the evidence. When LE makes a "good faith" effort and is working under pressure and has complied with all rules/laws at the time, evidence should not be suppressed. Because this evidence goes DIRECTLY to MR's motive and intent, INTENT being the key word, this evidence should never have been suppressed.

So.... if things go wrong, I do think the Crown has a solid ACE in their Pocket for appealing the decision.

Just my thoughts,

Salem

This is kind of funny, because, it's like Mike is offering Deb a chance to speak, if she finds him.

She said she would speak, but, maybe not now that the other evidence is out. But, maybe she knew about that, and still thinks he's innocent.

Perhaps we will find out.

1:33
Mike Knoll:
@guest - I don't think she still lives at the Tennyson address in Woodstock. Not sure where to find her.

1:33

Comment From guest
Mike-Will media be going out to Rafferty's mothers house in an attempt to get a comment from her after verdict??

It's been explained before. LE got warrants to search his house and his car, but apparently were advised they didn't need separate warrants for the laptop and hard drive. This was a grey area because the law was changing at the time. It looks like the judge went by the new law, not the old one and disallowed the electronic evidence. It's still a grey area because of when it happened and could well be revisited if there's an appeal.

I know that - I was asking someone to advise the 'tweeters' of that.

After reading the new information about MR and the claims from women MR was into the act of choking them, I now feel certain MR choked Tori before throwing her out of the car. The fact that TLM stated all she heard was gurgling from Tori tells me he choked Tori. I am so sick and furious with every new detail that comes out. No doubt in my mind, not that there ever was, MR is truly evil and a sexually deviant devil. He had been obsessed for a long time and YES found his dupe in TLM. The coming together of two evils equates overwhelming tragedy and so much sorrow for so many victims. May he rot in hell for all eternity. JMHO. Again it just goes to show people can hide their true colours and as much as you feel you know someone, you don't know them. Seems MR duped so many people, everyone he came into contact with. Thankfully so many of the women he tried to use got the heck away from him, they sensed something weird about him thank God. If he hadn't been caught I'm positive he would have went on to abduct more children or possibly murdered women, so scary. MOO

If something goes wrong and MR is not convicted on all 3 counts, I think this is a very, very, very good appeal point for the Crown. It is my opinion that the Judge errored in his ruling to suppress the evidence. When LE makes a "good faith" effort and is working under pressure and has complied with all rules/laws at the time, evidence should not be suppressed. Because this evidence goes DIRECTLY to MR's motive and intent, INTENT being the key word, this evidence should never have been suppressed.

So.... if things go wrong, I do think the Crown has a solid ACE in their Pocket for appealing the decision.

Just my thoughts,

Salem

I strongly agree. They can make a pretty strong case on appeal that they were going by existing laws, and the Supervisor of search warrants did his due diligence and looked the law up before giving his answer that a second warrant wasn't needed.

Ruling on 'future precedent' sets a really bad precedent.

From Christie Blatchford's article, if these steps were documented, it does show that officers did proceed in 'good faith' to the best of their abilities with the legal guidance that was at hand:

When the forensic examiner asked if he needed a secondary warrant, a senior OPP officer and head of the search warrant team, Detective-Sergeant Bryan Gast, told him he didn’t. He relied on his experience, his training and on his reading of a law book, Hutchinson’s Canadian Search Warrant Manual.

In the edition Det.-Sgt. Gast had, the author warned vaguely against wide-ranging police searches and concluded, “At present, these issues remain unresolved but it is likely … [they] will be challenged as over seizure.”

I have to sign out for awhile. Please alert if the verdict comes in.

Thanks so much!

Salem

Ahhh the beauty of the Rockies. There are some pics of Tori on vacation out West with the mountains in the background. Purple it is today. Power walked. It helped with some of the adrenaline.

Yes, I believe those pics of Tori were taken in Jasper. Beautiful place (quite far from me, though).

I haven't been able to tear myself away yet.

I wonder if the Jurors leave for lunch? Perhaps they are encouraged to do so. Maybe that accounts for the length. Then again if they are sequestered I doubt they are going to show up at the Market Place for lunch?????

Just my thoughts,

Salem
Yes, good point about grounds for appeal. I also learned from Randy Richmond that appeals are handled by a panel of judges, not a new trial before a new jury. In that case, the judges know ALL the evidence, admissible or not, and it's a panel, not just one judge. In view of this, I can't see the defence appealing a guilty verdict, but the Crown may well appeal a lesser verdict and succeed.

Boo!

Please stay!

1:45
Mike Knoll:

Folks - we are going to have to wrap up here. Randy is writing a story - I'm lucky to have had him here for a couple of hours. I have to head back to the newsroom. Thank you for reading!

The jury will resume deliberations at 2pm and go until 9pm tonight (with breaks.) If a verdict is reached, we will notify you via twitter -- follow @LFpress and @RaffertyLFP for info.

Thank you again.
1:42

Comment From TC

What time will you finish up this chat

well, I went to the grocery store.. I guess it didn't work (re: verdict coming down while I was away)

Hopefully we will hear something soon

Yes, I believe those pics of Tori were taken in Jasper. Beautiful place (quite far from me, though).

I haven't been able to tear myself away yet.

That's why i power walked LOL Hubby came home for lunch and suggested i get out briefly. He knows me too well. So i did. Briefly LOL

I wonder how the news about the *advertiser censored*, choking, 'underage rape' has hit some of the women who dated MR?

I'm sure that's rally haunted and traumatized several of them.

Curious - did any of those new details sway anyone off the fence that had been perched there? I know it's been really tough on some people who really wanted to believe in MR's innocence. Wondering how they're handling this latest news.

I know that - I was asking someone to advise the 'tweeters' of that.
It looks like there are a lot of folks on the LFP live chat who haven't paid attention to the news and done their research and are asking dumb questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper