Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what? "We were horrified when we found out that they had declared it a mistrial..."
They didn't know?

How did this guy even pass as death "qualified"? "This is a human."??? WTH does that mean?

Everyone, get down on your knees and thank God (or the earth, sun, universe, whatever) that this jury came back with a premeditated murder conviction. With the kind of foreman they had I'm shocked we got the right verdict! I have nothing bad to say about juror #5, 8 and 17.

I completely agree. The more I hear from this foreperson (And cringe!) the more I think we are very lucky that the guilt phase wasn't messed up and ended up hung. It boggles the mind that anyone - let alone the 4 on the jury - could buy the defense teams garbage. I mean REALLY?!?! How can anyone buy the false allegations of "abuse" It is so clear that the defense teams whole story is just that - fiction!

My faith in juries is all but gone. Common sense isn't too common it seems. I think trials by judge are a better alternative. Any judge would have saw right through the DT's shenanigans and shut Jodi down a long time ago. As much as I would like to think the next jury will "get it right" and had down the death penalty--now I just don't know. And I am so sad for the Alexanders. I think they thought - like we did - that the death penalty was a foregone conclusion. If stabbing someone multiple times, shooting them and slitting their throats is not cause for the DP then I don't know what is!!

I am crossing fingers that the next set of jurors get it right the second time., what a waste of tax payer money. such a shame

Just listened to Mr. Foreman. He didn't expect it be a mistrial if the jury couldn't agree on a penalty? What the heck did he think was going to happen?

Gosh, he was the forman. Was he self appointed. Love to know how he became the forman. moo

Well I assume you guys are all over this: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jodi-ari...-gma-how-they-reached-verdict-and-then-didnt/

Juror foreman .. so the emotional abuse .. so the texts from Travis became part of mitigation .. good jury, it's a shame they didn't all agree on either DP or LWOP however.

I am wondering why the jury was only exposed to that one text session....there were something like 80,000 texts and emails between them....I hope next time all of them are put in evidence to show that was the only one that Travis used 'abusive' words to her. And I still can't figure out why the jury didn't question what was Travis so upset about? What did she do to him that upset him so much? And they believe her that Travis invited her to his home on June 4th..no evidence, just her word and she was a proven liar. So many why's with no answers.

It has to be a rumor, and I think it was one that was pointed out as such by Wild About Trial.

The Grand Canyon is three and a half hours from Phoenix.

Jodi's sister posted on FB from the Grand Canyon yesterday. She was with her mother and others.

BBM

AFAIK "Ponytail" is a female juror (an alternate, I think).

From WS trial watchers...

9.Willy-Old hippy with long white ponytail, thin, small build.
This guy looked PIZZED the whole time. He seemed to be staring towards the media lady or just into the corner. I only saw him look at JM or JA maybe once.

Just watched all of the interviews with the foreman. How in the world did JM miss this guy during voir dire? He voted life- I bet my house, my car and my Jack Russell Terrier on it.

Holy crap on a cracker. :facepalm:

If you lose your bet, can I have your Jack Russell Terrier????

Geeez, what happened to all of those "I just LOVE this jury" and "These jurors are SO smart" comments of about a week ago...? :facepalm:

So, he couldn't help having emotion for Jodi, but he had to keep emotion out of it during victim impact? Am I understanding this right?

Yes, this is the drum I have been beating since I watched his interview on GMA.

He seemingly could set aside the anguish of the Alexander's but not so much that itty bitty woman who slaughtered their brother and son.

Got it. Wow.

If I had been on the jury, Jodi's BPD combined with the way things went down between her and Travis would have been enough for me to go with LWOP. From a practical perspective, I would have pushed for consensus on either LWOP or DP just to reach a verdict.

Well, you're a brave soul:)

When it comes to the BPD, I'm not so forgiving. I DO have a lot of empathy for people struggling with these disorders, but the question for me is whether she knew it was wrong and could she conform her actions to the law, and I have to say, yes.

As far as she and Travis, I think he cared a whole lot more for her than was presented in court.

I previously stated:

"Prior to flying backwards off a treadmill and sustaining a spine injury."

I don't mind you asking. Hope the mods don't mind me answering. :floorlaugh:

I lived in Vegas and lost 100 pounds walking four miles a day outside on a clay path. One day it was 112 degrees, too hot to walk outside.

I had a treadmill but rarely used it so I kept it unplugged. My daughter had a blanket over it, toys inside, and called it her apt.

I cleared it off, plugged it in, straddled it, and turned it on. I set it on low and stepped on it. I rapidly went to the end of the treadmill, and flew backwards up in the air. My spine was injured at S1 and S2.

Internally, the treadmill was stuck on a high setting so adjusting the speed had no impact on it's performance.

Not paying attention before I stepped on it changed my life.

Please tell your son to be careful. Very careful.

OnWheels, thank you so very much for sharing that.
I will be sure to talk to him and tell him this story.
Gramcrackers also gave me some info about treadmill safety which I greatly appreciate. So again, thank you both!
Scary to think trying to be health conscious can be so dangerous..

PS- Thanks Mods for letting me go O/T for this.

If you lose your bet, can I have your Jack Russell Terrier????

:floorlaugh:

I have no problem letting someone else endure multiple pairs of chewed shoes, fits of barking at 3 am and general maniac behavior.

Geeez, what happened to all of those "I just LOVE this jury" and "These jurors are SO smart" comments of about a week ago...? :facepalm:

We had faith based on their questions but I guess we were so desperate to have our faith restored in the justice system - at least that is how I feel.

I hate to say this but if he is a "personality" I am thinking he had his own reasons for wanting to be on this jury ..hummm DP Qualified ....NOT!!

i said earlier, this sets off my 'stealth juror' alarm. it could be a false alarm, but it's going off nonetheless!

I'm completely disgusted! He talks about her having done a horrible thing?? What an understatement! Having an affair (for example) would be a 'horrible' thing. Butchering someone is just a 'horrible' thing? What? And he talked about the 'hate' she's getting? He really does sympathize with her and the family.

Why did he not talk about Travis? Mentioning his family (along side JA's family!) is ok but what about TRAVIS? Why not take the opportunity to say something good about him? About how sorry it is that his life was cut short? Is it normal to pity the criminal and not the victim??

My heart aches and my stomach burns!
I hate JA for saying the crime was her "worst mistake" (IIRC). She has NOT taken ownership of the killing...not one bit. IMO, she could have been talking about visiting Travis...or...regretting not tossing the camera. Which one is it, JA? 'Cause surely, you were not talking about murdering Travis.

BBM

As someone who has it, I'm curious about why you say so, Mrs. G.

I think the BPD meant Jodi reacted differently and stronger to rejection than someone who doesn't have BPD, rejection caused her acute distress, she displayed examples of that for a long time before the murder .. all of us have asked why Travis kept seeing her once she started displaying her poor coping skills, but that's not to blame him, as he clearly didn't see it for what it is .. but it did make the situation worse .. now this is not enough to give her anything less than murder 1, it's not enough to take away from the aggravating factors, but I think it's enough for mitigation and give someone LWOP.

Saying that, big problem in Arizona .. Jury cannot say LWOP, that's left to the judge, I'll not be surprised if many on the jury thought JSS might be soft and give JA LWP, which may have also played a part.

:floorlaugh:

I have no problem letting someone else endure multiple pairs of chewed shoes, fits of barking at 3 am and general maniac behavior.

HA!!! I have a Jack Russell and I know all about the 3 am barking but I love dogs.

I wonder if any juror has started looking things up on the internet.....they may need to totally disconnect from the trial, though.

If it was me, I'd have been googling the minute I got home......but I'm like that.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had been on the jury, Jodi's BPD combined with the way things went down between her and Travis would have been enough for me to go with LWOP. From a practical perspective, I would have pushed for consensus on either LWOP or DP just to reach a verdict.

I agree.
:couch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads