Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing. IF and I mean IF .. (doubtful) I was one of the jurors that just couldn't do "it" I would be furious with myself and the whole darn fact that she fooled me.

Now, with the next phase would the can they use all those interviews in the trial?

You said "Jurors" plural... I have not been able to keep up with this - was driving my husband through horrible traffic - but on the radio - they were talking like it was only ONE juror - has there been other information or are people just speculating? They were focusing on one woman who had acted strangely......all seemed to agree it was just one. I would think the number would make a big difference in how JM proceeds.

Good evening everyone...
:seeya:

HLN with Vinnie reporting the jury vote was 8-4 for the DP.

As good as Juan was, will he really be able to pull it off the second time around, assuming a jury can be seated?

At this moment I wonder if it's worth the try.

:truce:

I think this could be a game changer, don't you? That's a healthier split than I thought. I was thinking one, maybe 2.

Will she get a new DT?

Perhaps the only satisfaction with this delay and having to go through the sentencing/penalty phase again is Nurmi wanted off so badly...

:D

Good question regarding both attorneys.

Well 8-4 explains why they came back so fast yesterday. It was deeply divided. I'm pretty shocked, I would have thought there was only 1 or 2 holdouts..wow.

Statement by County Attorney Bill Montgomery

"We appreciate the jury's work in the guilt and aggravation phases of the trial and now we will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be. As of this point in time, the Court has set a Status Conference for June 20 and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase. Because, for purposes of a jury determination on punishment, this is still a pending matter, there will be no further comment."

Statement by Sheriff Joe Arpaio

"Because the jury in the Jodi Arias murder trial was hung, Arias will remain as a closed custody inmate in the Maricopa County Sheriff's Estrella Jail. Arias has been in Sheriff Arpaio's care and custody for five years and will stay with MCSO until the judicial system renders a final conclusion as to her fate. As a closed custody inmate, Arias remains in her 7x11 cell for 23 hours a day and Arpaio will no longer permit Arias to give media interviews."

Comments by Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley

Romley has said the case could drag on for several months as the new jury reviews evidence and hears opening statements, closing arguments and witness testimony in a "Cliffs Notes" version of the trial.

However, if the prosecutor decides not to pursue the death penalty a second time, the judge would sentence Arias to one of the life term options, and the trial would conclude.
------

Under Arizona law, a hung jury in a trial's death penalty phase requires a new jury to be seated to decide the punishment. If the second jury cannot reach a unanimous decision, the judge would then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison or be eligible for release after 25 years. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/22403815/jury-in-jodi-arias-trial-resumes-deliberations

Re BBM

JMO
Oh WOW.....I am more convinced than ever now there will be no more trial. The DA will elect to give it to the judge. Wth an 8-4 vote, there is no way the DA will spend any more money.

Well I am really surprised 8 to 4 ..at least 8 went for death

Guys that breakdown is just for the pretend jurors on HLN.

Wow...thanks Mrs... Just got out of a much needed hot bubble bath and started seeing this and was just amazed...wonder when we will get the real breakdown?

Someone asked me for a link of that interview earlier when I posted it but I heard on TV. I didn't watch all of it, so grateful someone else posted about it too. Thanks, I was getting paranoid. Why would they be chit-chatting about deleting pics as last words? I hope Martinez and Flores are all over that tape. Her time-line never has worked anyway. She lured him in that shower, focus her camera lens on target zones, waited for the right time to stick her knife in him. Rotten murderer!

As much as I am revolted by that creature, HLN did a bit of artful editing.

The real question was something like "before you dropped the camera, what were you talking about ..." and she basically said it was mindless chit chat.

And that makes even less sense that, according to her, the atmosphere was calm and they were almost domestic in their interactions when she dropped the camera and he turned into a raging wet Hulk.

I am sitting here shell shocked. The one thing I am wondering is if the jury truly understood the process. By this I mean did they know exactly what each penalty meant? Did they know another jury would decide? Did they fully get what the mitigating factors were & what they meant? If there was 1 lone juror who refused to negotiate (I know we don't know details yet), did they know they could tell this to the judge & maybe get a jurorwho would negotiate? I feel so deeply saddened for the Alexander's. After all this time, they deserve closure. I feel like they are stuck in this tragedy. While the Arias family is off sight seeing with not a care in the world. Seriously, what was THAT???

Good evening everyone...
:seeya:

HLN with Vinnie reporting the jury vote was 8-4 for the DP.

As good as Juan was, will he really be able to pull it off the second time around, assuming a jury can be seated?

At this moment I wonder if it's worth the try.

:truce:

I'm wondering this also, Panthera.

I'm really wondering what Travis would want. We've learned so much about him and the kind of person he was that I can't believe he would want his family to endure another day of this. moo

I'll play. I could see any of the below going through a juror's mind.

She's young, still has a chance to turn her life around and at least contribute in jail.

She doesn't seem to understand she's on trial for her life, her behavior is weird, I think she's mentally ill.

She's obviously isolated -- no one has spoken for her, even her family is off -- maybe she never had a chance to grow into a healthy adult. I can't give her the DP when her parents created her.

She's a vicious ***** who enjoys the limelight, I'll not give her the DP and deprive her of the spotlight the appeals will give her.

If I give her life it will at least end the ordeal for the Alexander's. Given all the death sentences being overturned maybe the DP will actually prolong their agony they have suffered enough.

I wanted murder 2 but compromised and gave in to Murder 1. I will now not give her death for a verdict I didn't really agree with.

BBM This one may be the one. She could very VERY easily be extremely mentally ill and she does not seem to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654