Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adriano DP verdict was that the original verdict or a second jury??? I heard there was a case where a second panel did go for death quickly....TIA

There have been five cases in Maricopa County AZ where the original jury in a DP case came back hung in the penalty phase. In one of those cases, the State decided not to ask for a new jury. In 3 of 4 the remaining cases, the new jury came back with a Death verdict and the other was Life.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizo...hat-couldnt-decide-on-death-penalty-prog.html

With thanks to AZLawyer on the ask a lawyer thread.

This "crapola" of respecting a juror just because they are a "juror" is ridiculous. Once a juror, unless you find a way to get yourself kicked off, you're there. Why the respect? Respect is earned no matter where you are or who you are.

Could they resign? No.

5 months of following this trial and we get nothing.

No respect afforded from me.

moo

How can you say "we got nothing"???

First degree murder verdict
Aggravating factor, especially cruel, proven

The jury was hung on the sentencing of Death or Life... a new jury will be sworn for this phase only.

The especially cruel first degree murder conviction stands!

Seriously they are interviewing Jose Baez??? Does anyone even care what he has to say? He was a 2 bit lawyer b4 the CA Trial.

I muted it when he started spouting how there were going to be so many issues come up with witness intimidation, blah blah blah.

Obviously he overheard someone else say this, because we all know he couldn't have come up with it on his own. Accurate or not.

;)

Good evening everyone...
:seeya:

HLN with Vinnie reporting the jury vote was 8-4 for the DP.

As good as Juan was, will he really be able to pull it off the second time around, assuming a jury can be seated?

At this moment I wonder if it's worth the try.

:truce:

Hello Kitty! :seeya:

Well on the bright side she WAS convicted of 1st degree murder. Big Win. All of her interviews will be used against her on the next penalty phase. She screwed herself big time.

She will try to have this conviction overturned on appeal. They will see her interviews. Give her enough rope and she will hang herself.

Take heart and Remember -- "The difference between a stumbling block and a stepping stone is the character of the individual walking the path."

Thanks. Do you remember what she said later or even when. Was it right around the same time? I'd like to read what she found out.

It may be in the legal thread. Once CMJA was convicted, the clock starts running. Also, they can file against Arias family in federal court. We set the precedent in 1985 and won. Arias family will not be able to benefit from CMJA anything.

I feel like this sounds a bit crazy, but I know that the best place to go with this is to my WS family.

I would have never predicted me crying like I am tonight for the Alexander family. Don't get me wrong, I've had so much sympathy and compassion for them from the start. It's not just a tear or two, I can't stop the waterworks from coming on everytime I think of the way things have been left hanging for the family. Then hearing Mike Galanos on HLN After Dark say one of the female jurors looked at the family and mouthed "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry", well that just did me in again and I'm sobbing. Seriously, I feel a bit crazy for the crying and am hoping my WS family help me plug the leak.

(((((((KPinMN)))))))). We're here for you, and we're all feeling the same way I'm sure. I know I am.

I count 14 jurors on this tape:

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2405490606001

Plus ponytail who left on his own. Does anyone see a juror that looks like JA's Mom? JC was always saying she thought that particular juror had a hard time with the guilt phase verdict. I don't see any one that looks like Sandy.

Yep. It was juror #16. Go back and listen. She can barely utter the word "yes".

moo

So allegedly it was more than one lady. There were a few who felt life would be sufficient. Well if the next jury can't agree that's what she'll get anyway. I would hate to know at 32 my day would consist of laying or sitting in a space the size of my bathroom with the toilet right there. Taking a shower 3 times a week, and eating food that I wouldn't feed my dog. She is going to be miserable.

Where did you hear it was more than one lady? Is someone reporting the breakdown? I know 8-4, but sex of the 4...

and three resulted in the DP so this second jury for penalty phase AZ thing apparently works.

When JA was hiding behind her hand I could just picture the smirk on her face. She was hiding it. While I don't feel like she won, I certainly don't feel like she lost either. How in the world are they going to catch a new jury up on everything pertaining to the case? I'm confused how that will work.

10 out of 12 would have resulted in the same ending today. Do we just keep reducing he majority until "you" get the result you want...?
What is most puzzling to me is the knee-jerk and UNPROVEN assumption by some folks that one or more of the jurors deliberately misrepresented themselves during voir dire or purposely held out or refused to deliberate. At this point, it's nothing more than unfounded and unfair speculation.

I count 14 jurors on this tape:

http://www.azcentral.com/video/2405490606001

Plus ponytail who left on his own. Does anyone see a juror that looks like JA's Mom? JC was always saying she thought that particular juror had a hard time with the guilt phase verdict. I don't see any one that looks like Sandy.

Look at the 10th to get on the bus, short lady, that's who I think it is. IMO

I consider the no-decision today to be equivalent to a baseball rain out.
The home team ( JM ) had won the 1st 2 games by a rout and unfortunately, the skies opened up and caused a postponement of the 3rd game. The rain out has been rescheduled and the previous innings of the 3rd game don't count. However, the fans will not be reimbursed for their 3rd game tickets and will have to rearrange their schedules to attend the 3rd game.

Well enough with the baseball analogy ...

I applaud the decision of the County Attorney to move forward with another penalty phase, even though that decision may change based on various factors. My heart goes out to the Alexander family although I'm sure they will recharge, regroup, and move forward in Travis' honor. If I were them and given the fact they are 7, I would certainly look to the next penalty phase with an alternating schedule of attendance to alleviate the financial burden somewhat.

Even if Arias has received the death penalty today and IMO deserved it, she may have not been executed for many years. The average is 12 years, but Debra Milke has been on Death Row for 23 years. Also, who's to say the State of Arizona would not abolish the death penalty during the time leading up to Arias' execution. Not a sure thing ...

Also, LWOP at Perryville would be no picnic for Arias either. She would spend the first 3-5 years in 23-hour per day confinement and only would good behavior allow her a gradual upgrade in living privileges. But would access to other inmates actually be an upgrade for Arias ? Think of that narcissistic, vain, smug attitude mixed with the gang members at Perryville ... Arias would be forced to pick sides pretty quick and belly up to some really tough ladies. I personally don't see her surviving for too long ...

To me, Arias was sentenced to death when the jury came back with the 1st degree murder verdict. If indeed the next jury hangs and the judge is forced to decide between LWOP and parole after 25 years, I have faith the judge would go with LWOP forcing Arias into a painful obscurity the rest of her miserable life.

Perhaps the Alexander clan ought to visit ASPC Perryville, specifically the Lumley unit where the baddest of the bad are housed. It might just give them the renewed energy they will need to face the monster one more time.

Good sensible post Sustained. Until today I was not sure the judge would give LWOP if left to her own devices. Listening to her today, it may be possible for her to do so but I am not convinced. It is unclear to me if she will still preside over a possible future re-try. I found a forum today on Prison Talk that discusses ASPC Perryville - pretty nasty sounding. However, I doubt there is any possibility the Alexander family would be allowed to see much of anything to assist them.

I do agree, it may just be time to ship the little murderer off provided she agrees to LWOP and waives appeals. Somehow I do not think she will accept those terms. I do not know if she can refuse but given all the rights granted to murderers, I somehow think she can refuse to accept any deal offered by the State. She is not going to go quietly or accept any terms but her own, this has been proven as well.

Well on the bright side she WAS convicted of 1st degree murder. Big Win. All of her interviews will be used against her on the next penalty phase. She screwed herself big time.

Hopefully you are right. Someone on HLN just suggested it is possible the next jury will have seen those interviews, and heard everything that wasn't allowed in this trial and therefore give her the DP.

Unfortunately I am not that optimistic at the moment. If I thought any jury would have seen this through to the end it would be this one. I am still astounded they were split 8-4.

MOO

I pray that the Alexander's find solace in the fact that she got premeditated murder 1 with aggravating circumstances....today they were let down but the whole world now knows what Travis knew about the sociopath....her worst fear and most likely the reason Travis was killed has been exposed and she will either rot in prison or get the DP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett