Verdict Watch Thread Saturday July 13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Richard Hornsby thinks they're debating between not guilty or guilty of manslaughter just like us. (WESH)

FYI now by orlando sentinel

Jury instructions: Jurors cannot convict on manslaughter in this case if #TrayvonMartin's death justified, excusable, negligent or accident.2 Retweets Collapse
ReplyRetweet

:twocents:

:twocents: I am not a lawyer and not an expert and not a chemist :waitasec:

But it ticks me off that the State is allowed to throw in this "manslaughter charge" when they were originally going for a 2nd Degree Murder charge ...

It's NOT fair to the defendant at all -- regardless of WHO the defendant is ...

All this does is CONFUSE jurors ... these laws need to change ...

You know, it's like this : if I can't have steak, I'll settle for a hamburger ...

:waitasec: I know ... not the best analogy ... but y'all know what I mean ...

I'm going to put on a pot of coffee ... :cup: ... maybe it will calm me down ...

:seeya:

All My Opinion JMO MOO !

I think the jury of six women (five of whom are mothers)can't wrap their minds around "innocent" and will
go with manslaughter.

IMO, whatever they decide, I appreciate the fact that the jury appears to be taking their responsibility very seriously. They do not appear to be rushing to a verdict, nor to they appear to be giving up. IMO that is all good.

I'm not going to assume anything. I do think it is possible they cleared 2nd degree and they want to make very sure they know the instructions on manslaughter; IIRC the instructions were somewhat confusing.

Our Richard Hornsby thinks they're debating between not guilty or guilty of manslaughter just like us. (WESH)

Yes, I saw that. He predicted when the jury went into deliberations at the end of the trial that they would find him Guilty of Manslaughter.

If I had been GZ, and that question was asked, I would have broken down and cried like a baby. I think this jury thinks manslaughter is a big nothing. I'd let them know that isn't the truth!

If they started with 2nd degree murder instructions and working their way down..maybe they are looking at manslaughter..will find state didn't prove it either and acquit.

I see it two ways:

Either they are doing exactly what you have mentioned above, which is typical with juries. Start with the largest charge, decide, and then move down the list.

OR, they don't believe self defense and are trying to see if manslaughter was proven.

I tend to think that if they all agreed on self-defense, we'd be done by now. If we get an acquittal at this point, I think it may be because the case wasn't proven and not necessarily because they believe self-defense.

All this is just guessing, of course.

So that means court will be back in 30 min.?

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 1m
Sidebar over. Court in recess for 30 min.

Evan Benn ‏@EvanBenn 4m
@DavidOvalle305 you can hear O'Mara's voice over all others at sidebar
Retweeted by Kyle Hightower

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 5m
Attorneys in sidebar with judge. #Zimmerman staring starlight at the judges bench during this.

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 7m
AP: BREAKING from @AP : Jurors in George Zimmerman trial ask for clarification on manslaughter charge after 10 hours of deliberation

Kyle Hightower ‏@khightower 10m
Court back in session.

maybe MOM wanted the jury to know the sentences for manslaughter And the prosecution argues against it. Prosecution KNEW he wasn't guilty of murder 2. That is why they asked at last minute for lesser charge.

Why do we assume murder is off the table now?
Maybe they are just comparing the two?

Prayers for both families. I'm sure it's a lot to deal with, as even I am on edge.

I just don't believe anything was proven without a doubt to justify a ruling for murder. Manslaughter I could see as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they started with 2nd degree murder instructions and working their way down..maybe they are looking at manslaughter..will find state didn't prove it either and acquit.

Oh, I sure hope your right Rose.

Bill Shaeffer just said on WFTV that the jury even considering manslaughter means that this jury has disregarded the defense's claim of self-defense and is considering a "compromise verdict" of manslaughter. I agree. MOO.

But that's not necessarily true, either. They could have found that the State didn't meet its burden on M2 without even considering self defense. They could be considering the same thing right now on the manslaughter charge and not even have gotten to self-defense yet. No need to find self defense if there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt of either M2 or manslaughter. I'm still hopeful. jmo

i think so too. from the instructions that they start at the top of the form, and work their way down, they shouldn't be discussing manslaughter unless they've dismissed murder2.

iMHo

If I had been GZ, and that question was asked, I would have broken down and cried like a baby. I think this jury thinks manslaughter is a big nothing. I'd let them know that isn't the truth!

Manslaughter is manslaughter. That's all they need to know.

I see it two ways:

Either they are doing exactly what you have mentioned above, which is typical with juries. Start with the largest charge, decide, and then move down the list.

OR, they don't believe self defense and are trying to see if manslaughter was proven.

I tend to think that if they all agreed on self-defense, we'd be done by now. If we get an acquittal at this point, I think it may be because the case wasn't proven and not necessarily because they believe self-defense.

All this is just guessing, of course.

That may be right. I hope the jury is polled if it hangs.

so if this means that they have ruled out murder 2 and have questions figuring out this complicated manslaughter wording....well, it might just mean they are halfway there and are making sure they can rule out manslaughter too.
I like the way you think!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member