Victim - Melissa Barthelemy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happened upon this today... an old case (1985) where the abductor/killer (Larry Gene Bell) made harassing phone calls to the victims' family. Bell was put to death (electrocution) in 1996.

"While Shari was still missing, someone identifying himself as Shari's abductor made the first in a series of harassing phone calls to the Smiths.   Because the caller knew details that would have been known to only Shari or her kidnapper, the Smiths made notes of the calls.   Authorities eventually traced and recorded all later calls.   During the first conversation, the abductor told Shari's family they would be receiving a letter from Shari.   State officials intercepted her letter, entitled “Last Will and Testament,” from the mail.   Apparently, her abductor had Shari draft it shortly before her death.   On June 5, 1985 the caller-later identified as Bell-provided directions leading to Shari's body.   Unfortunately, by the time Shari's body was located, the pathologist could not ascertain either the cause of her death or whether or not she had been sexually assaulted.   The pathologist believed, however, that Shari either suffocated or died from dehydration (resulting from a rare form of diabetes from which Shari suffered).

Following the discovery of Shari's body, Bell made harassing phone calls to the Smiths for the next three weeks.   During these calls, Bell callously depicted how he abducted Shari at gun point, raped and sodomized her, wrapped her head in duct tape, and suffocated her.   He even malevolently discussed Shari's funeral arrangements with Shari's sister.   In one call, Bell identified the location of the body of ten-year-old Debra May Helmick, a little girl he kidnapped exactly two weeks after he kidnapped Shari."

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1307072.html

AND here it mentions he often spoke with the victims' sister (which makes me wonder if this was coincidence):

"Throughout the largest manhunt in South Carolina history, Bell made eight telephone calls to the Smith family, often speaking with Shari's sister, Dawn. Bell eventually gave exact directions to the locations of both of the bodies and described to the family how he had killed Smith."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Gene_Bell

In Lost Girls it says that Johnny Terry knew Melissa arranged a $1000 date on LI and he knew where the night she went missing.
"Terry said, he was approached by the police again, but this time not as a suspect. They wanted to know about the john on Long Island. They asked if he could describe the house and if he could pick it out if he was taken there. He said he could.

"They already knew about the guy in Long Island," he said. "I said if they come to get me I would go. They didn't come."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...island-serial-killer-victims-secret-life.html

http://nypost.com/2011/04/08/cops-eyeing-suspect-in-grisly-long-island-murders/

so Johnny Terry as well the police KNOW who Melissa's last john was. It sounds like police KNOW who the killer is. I wonder if the last john was 57 the man I heard was LE's suspect. Why no progress if they know? Why pretending they don't?

AND here it mentions he often spoke with the victims' sister (which makes me wonder if this was coincidence):

"Throughout the largest manhunt in South Carolina history, Bell made eight telephone calls to the Smith family, often speaking with Shari's sister, Dawn. Bell eventually gave exact directions to the locations of both of the bodies and described to the family how he had killed Smith."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Gene_Bell

Quoting myself :D

"A year after Smith's death, her sister, Dawn Elizabeth Smith, was crowned Miss South Carolina (1986)."

So, I guess these details of her sisters' murder and the phone calls were fairly well known at the time.

In Lost Girls it says that Johnny Terry knew Melissa arranged a $1000 date on LI and he knew where the night she went missing.
"Terry said, he was approached by the police again, but this time not as a suspect. They wanted to know about the john on Long Island. They asked if he could describe the house and if he could pick it out if he was taken there. He said he could.

"They already knew about the guy in Long Island," he said. "I said if they come to get me I would go. They didn't come."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...island-serial-killer-victims-secret-life.html

http://nypost.com/2011/04/08/cops-eyeing-suspect-in-grisly-long-island-murders/

so Johnny Terry as well the police KNOW who Melissa's last john was. It sounds like police KNOW who the killer is. I wonder if the last john was 57 the man I heard was LE's suspect. Why no progress if they know? Why pretending they don't?

Doesn't anyone else think it's insane that no one has tracked Blaze down and had him bring them to the John's house?

Doesn't anyone else think it's insane that no one has tracked Blaze down and had him bring them to the John's house?

I see you are quoting yourself, also.

Although it's been posted before, I don't think anyone has yet been able to answer your question.

Fred do you think Blaze is locked up? Don't you think this last John is the killer?

Fred do you think Blaze is locked up? Don't you think this last John is the killer?

'Dunno. Was she working on her own or still working for Terry at the time?? I've never really trusted the words of boyfriends/pimps. ('Haven't really trusted LE in SG's case either, of course)

'You know of any other cases where the abductor/murderer called the victims' families??

There was some other cases discussed on here over the years but i forget now. It really seems to me that the John is LISK, he hires Melissa for a similar amount to what he offered Amber, he lives on LI described as older white guy by Blaze and "chummy" with MB. He'd know about her sister, her boyfriend. She goes to his house on a date and never returns. Her pimp knows but he doesn't care. He calls the pimp and calls the sister anyway. He's sloppy. Lazy. Drunk. He dumps bodies right on the side of the road. LE knows he's the SK they just can't prove it

If he's not the killer than in what scenario does MB go to meet him all the way on LI and end up murdered?

Nope, didn't check at all. Waiting for you to post some links to the discussions about other perps.

Sorry don't have any interest fred and i could very well be wrong. If there are other cases they aren't related to LISK so it seems pointless. I do however think the LISK's use of the phone is the biggest clue towards his identity. And reports on UG of john who call over nd over and over are of interest. i'm focused on LISK

Nope, didn't check at all. Waiting for you to post some links to the discussions about other perps.

Sorry for the slate link, but here's some other examples (and the article is the context of LISK's calls): http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...rial_killers_call_their_victims_families.html

edit- Oh God, I should have read to the end since it's Slate and all, and of course their headline reads "Why Do Serial Killers Call Their Victim's Families?" but the article only mentions the zodiac killer.

(That's why the meme "Slate Pitches" exists fyi) -- But I also remember hearing of other instances of this so I'll google around a bit and post what I find.

Sorry don't have any interest fred and i could very well be wrong. If there are other cases they aren't related to LISK so it seems pointless. I do however think the LISK's use of the phone is the biggest clue towards his identity. And reports on UG of john who call over nd over and over are of interest. i'm focused on LISK

There are not a lot of abductors/killers who have been known to contact the victim's families. The fact that MB's killer did this, puts him in a different category... a different type of killer. So, I think it's of interest to know what makes these "calling killers" tick.

OR, if you find it pointless... you can just keep calling him lazy, fat and drunk... and learn nothing new.

Sorry for the slate link, but here's some other examples (and the article is the context of LISK's calls): http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...rial_killers_call_their_victims_families.html

edit- Oh God, I should have read to the end since it's Slate and all, and of course their headline reads "Why Do Serial Killers Call Their Victim's Families?" but the article only mentions the zodiac killer.

(That's why the meme "Slate Pitches" exists fyi) -- But I also remember hearing of other instances of this so I'll google around a bit and post what I find.

Thanks for looking. Zodiac makes me think of the EAR/ONS cases... IIRC he made a few calls back to the rape victims.

There are not a lot of abductors/killers who have been known to contact the victim's families. The fact that MB's killer did this, puts him in a different category... a different type of killer. So, I think it's of interest to know what makes these "calling killers" tick.

OR, if you find it pointless... you can just keep calling him lazy, fat and drunk... and learn nothing new.

I didn't say fat....He called Amanda but he also called Blaze, Megan's mom and possibly Shannan's family. He may have called others too. He's clearly the type of guy who like to make phone calls. he had phone ocd. Ive said it all along, he's the guy who calls and if you dpnt call back he calls and calls some more. I've even found examples of a sex worker complaining about a john who does this from a 631 and even uses different numbers to call from when the girl doesnt pick up. Honestly it should be so obvious to people who know this guy he is the killer if they only who the killer was like this. But here's my point, profiling, finding out what "type" of killer he is is all waste of time...when somebody can just give Blaze $300 and drive him out to LI to point out the SK's house

Was the John who Blaze and police apparently know the last john, or did she arrange another date afterwards? I guess that's the million dollar question. But the SK seemed to know a lot about Melissa, obsessed with her. It sounds like he knew her well

There are not a lot of abductors/killers who have been known to contact the victim's families.

It tells us that LISK did not immediately kill Melissa. I would argue that her describing Blaze's tattoo to LISK is an important clue; unfortunately I don't know what it means other than she lived for some period of time before meeting her demise.

It tells us that LISK did not immediately kill Melissa. I would argue that her describing Blaze's tattoo to LISK is an important clue; unfortunately I don't know what it means other than she lived for some period of time before meeting her demise.

Not necessarily. If it was the John she was chummy with, he could have been told about Blaze's tattoo at some other point in time. Or he could have looked at photos on MB's phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB