Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This particular area was searched as part of an ever expanding grid search. Fred Hutch employees who have a background in statistical research and programming are very meticulous. The week leading up to the discovery of my moms body her coworkers organizing the search were methodically checking off all the areas that had been searched on maps, and continued expanding the search area. Groups were searching wooded areas and trails for any signs. Cell phone, credit cards etc... None of us really anticipated we would be finding a body. Especially so close to home. We were looking more for any clues.

Thank you for answering my question & for being here.

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.

Before finding CD's body was any evidence found?

Before finding CD's body was any evidence found?
Only the car, and what police briefed the media of what was found in the car. No other evidence was found before the body was located.

This bolded word potential in the following sentence says it all for me.

"Police say DeBoer’s husband took a polygraph test and has been eliminated as a potential person of interest."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...n-continues-as-police-await-forensic-results/

Dictionary definition of potential: having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future . . .

So from the use of this one word, the husband has not been eliminated as a suspect.

I think the opposite is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, I am refraining from posting at the moment, waiting to be verified as an Insider. I appreciate all the sincere apologies. I know you guys mean well.

Not sure what you want/can answer. Asking this respectfully...I text all the time rather than use the cell phone, was it unusual that your Mom sent a text as opposed to calling her car pool buddy?

Welcome Stryker! I hope your family will get answers to what happened to your awesome mom very soon. Thank you for being here and I hope it helps to know that there are virtual strangers, both local (and far away) that care. I live in Seattle and work with Fred Hutch. I did not know your mom. But you can just tell what kind of person she was. What a tragic loss.

This particular area was searched as part of an ever expanding grid search. Fred Hutch employees who have a background in statistical research and programming are very meticulous. The week leading up to the discovery of my moms body her coworkers organizing the search were methodically checking off all the areas that had been searched on maps, and continued expanding the search area. Groups were searching wooded areas and trails for any signs. Cell phone, credit cards etc... None of us really anticipated we would be finding a body. Especially so close to home. We were looking more for any clues.

Some of us have been doing this for a few years and may have insights - not sure.
Is there anything that we can do for you?

Only the car, and what police briefed the media of what was found in the car. No other evidence was found before the body was located.
Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you, again! I'm not sure if being here is helpful for you or not, but I hope you're coping alright and have support. Please know that your mom's memory will live on with many of us. She makes me think of my own mom. I think about your mom daily. <3

Peace and warm, healing thoughts to you.

This all sounds pretty feasible to me, although the perp would probably only have had to drive 30 minutes or so to find a spot that might never have been discovered. That suggests a super tight window and, as you say, the need to alibi quickly. On the other hand, the culvert is highly visible so was it approached that morning?? Again with the risky behavior with potential witnesses. Yet if the perp waited, then you'd think they COULD have gone farther away to find the hiding spot. But perhaps this was not feasible because the perp is also someone who is rarely alone and whose extended absence would be noted If they took a random 3-hour trip or similar. So many questions.

Could it be the killer wanted the body found fast because they cared about her, didnt want her left out in the cold and rain, or the thrill of the body being discovered so close to her surroundings,or the killer was attempting to make it look like a random crime. Washington is a big state with so many logging roads and fast flowing deep rivers, I was told bodies have been dumped in the Skagit and never seen again. There is some reason the killer placed her where he/she did. I hope we find out soon, I can only imagine what hell this must be for her family and friends

Not sure what you want/can answer. Asking this respectfully...I text all the time rather than use the cell phone, was it unusual that your Mom sent a text as opposed to calling her car pool buddy?
I believe the texts to be authentic and sent from my mom. The carpool friend has been more than cooperative from the day one.

Could it be the killer wanted the body found fast because they cared about her, didnt want her left out in the cold and rain, or the thrill of the body being discovered so close to her surroundings,or the killer was attempting to make it look like a random crime. Washington is a big state with so many logging roads and fast flowing deep rivers, I was told bodies have been dumped in the Skagit and never seen again. There is some reason the killer placed her where he/she did. I hope we find out soon, I can only imagine what hell this must be for her family and friends
I belive she was placed their either as it was opportunistic, and easy to get back to I5 and head north opposite direction of the commute, or because someone is familiar with the area and has scoped out that area as an easy dump site. It would be easy to back in next to the Welcome to Mountlake Terrace sign and have a view of any traffic coming from either direction, and then proceed to dump the body. JMO

I belive she was placed their either as it was opportunistic, and easy to get back to I5 and head north opposite direction of the commute, or because someone is familiar with the area and has scoped out that area as an easy dump site. It would be easy to back in next to the Welcome to Mountlake Terrace sign and have a view of any traffic coming from either direction, and then proceed to dump the body. JMO

I totally agree. It's busy, but you're right, all oncoming traffic from all three directions is visible.

If she was placed there because it was opportune it seems to point to a random encounter. Likewise, if she was placed there because someone was familiar with the area it seems to point towards CD being targeted/someone familiar.

Eric, thank you for joining us in what is a very sad time for you. We appreciate your time and any answers you can give us that will not jeopardize the investigation. Catching this perp and finding justice for your family is the most important thing in this world.

If it helps any, this tragedy has opened my eyes as to being in the car alone and making certain the doors are locked. Although they are automatic locks, one has to drive a few seconds before they engage. Now, I hit the lock button the second the door shuts. Your mom is constantly on my mind as I approach the car, enter it, and am seated or the reverse of pulling in to park and the locks open.

I imagine there are many on here who have changed their methods and are more cautious.

I still wonder about her wedding ring.
Was she wearing it when she was found?

I wonder what items of Cheryl's were missing, other than her phone and credit cards, her purse.
I wonder what items they found?

I wonder about the one item that was found that was said to have been "helpful".

IMOO.

I have never seen a picture of Cheryl or her husband wearing wedding rings. Pickard said that personal items were still missing, so I'm thinking that whatever they found that was "helpful" had more to do with the perp. Maybe tire tracks in that pull-off next to the Welcome To MLT sign?

Do you have any particular reason to feel that the person headed northbound on I5?

I sense that it was both a quick place nearby as well as that it was an "easy dump site." From Google maps you can see a large park with a vacant lot off of a more rural road to the east of the culvert - why not spend an extra 15 minutes getting there where it's isolated? That's not logical. Only a local would know about the pull-off on the east side of Cedar Way, I'd think. My husband has taken Cedar Way on his way to a motorcycle shop more north of MLT when he didn't want to use I5 and after showing him the google streetview he said he never noticed the culvert, but did notice the sign.

Eric, thank you for joining us in what is a very sad time for you. We appreciate your time and any answers you can give us that will not jeopardize the investigation. Catching this perp and finding justice for your family is the most important thing in this world.

If it helps any, this tragedy has opened my eyes as to being in the car alone and making certain the doors are locked. Although they are automatic locks, one has to drive a few seconds before they engage. Now, I hit the lock button the second the door shuts. Your mom is constantly on my mind as I approach the car, enter it, and am seated or the reverse of pulling in to park and the locks open.

I imagine there are many on here who have changed their methods and are more cautious.

BBM. Yup. Today's trash day and I thought of Cheryl this morning at 6:15 when I considered taking my trash out. I decided to wait because while I live in a very safe neighborhood, there weren't quite enough people milling around yet. I also have been making sure I always keep my doors locked even in the middle of the day. And I live all the way on the other side of the U.S.

I'd like to ask Stryker57 one question.....and really only one question.

Judging by what you've been told, what has been shared by LE, and what evidence you are aware of.......what is your best theory on who may have done this and for what reason ??

I'd like to ask Stryker57 one question.....and really only one question.

Judging by what you've been told, what has been shared by LE, and what evidence you are aware of.......what is your best theory on who may have done this and for what reason ??

Random crime of opportunity.

A random crime of opportunity would definitely put the community on edge.

Mixed messages in media from the police, in my opinion&#8230;

"February 15, 2016"
"Though police are calling the circumstances of DeBoer&#8217;s disappearance &#8220;suspicious,&#8221; Pickard tells residents that for now, they should not be afraid to be in Mountlake Terrace.

&#8220;It is safe here,&#8221; Pickard said. "

http://mltnews.com/mlt-police-say-body-found-sunday-matches-description-of-cheryl-deboer/

"February 17, 2016"

"The Mountlake Terrace Police Department has been saying they don&#8217;t believe there is a public safety concern."

http://mltnews.com/small-cuts-found-on-cheryl-deboers-hands/

A random crime of opportunity would be a safety concern.
I wonder if the police feel, it won't happen again?
Or is there a POI that LE is watching?

I hope there are answers soon, stryker57.

IMOO.

I am so sorry - if this turns out to be the case - and you lost your dear mom to such a senseless act. It seems totally incomprehensible that Cheryl lost her life over the contents of her purse?!? It is so hard to protect yourself from such an arbitrary and gratuitous crime on a Monday morning commute...

Well, I really hope that the person has a record and the Forensics crew will be able to find evidence to find and convict. Maybe DNA in the car? Are you able to say whether the car was used by any one other than Cheryl that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996