WA - Four killed in Pilchuk High School shooting, Marysville, 24 Oct 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Thanks Tink- from the same article (I read this earlier today) this statement really bothers me. I should be a little more clear, it actually angers and confuses me:

"My feeling is that God knows what happened and I think we all ought to leave it alone and leave it there because I don't think we're really going to find out really totally what happened," Don Hatch said.

Are you kidding me? How does that help anyone? I want to know a lot! This happened at a public school, on public property. Can you imagine if this was the response from anyone at the Columbine shootings?

I find it arrogant and bizarre. I feel bad too, as this statement came from Nick Hatch's grandfather apparently.

It would be so much easier to file Jaylen away in a box marked 'evil', and forget him. The hard path is to accept that he is part of the collective consciousness of the children and the community and to move through the healing process in an evolved way. The hard path is the right path.

MOO

I don't think filing J into a box marked evil is what anyone here has suggested. But rather that their be consequences to actions. For our children to understand right from wrong. Sometimes doing the right things IS hard, controlling your actions when you are mad, hurt, angry IS hard. But children need to be able to do this. IMO it's our job as parents to help our children to understand that what he did has consequences that others will live the rest of their lives with. Having compassion for the victims doesn't make someone less "big enough, deep enough, strong enough, wise enough....to be able to choose peace." For those that can have compassion for J, that is the path you walk.....but we don't all walk the same path.

I find myself hurting emotionally when I look at these innocent young faces that have been injured/killed. I think perhaps I need a break from this shooting. I respect all the opinions expressed and am thankful this is a place we can come to do so.

For the record, I do not want to file JF away in a box marked evil but I also don't want to make this story prettier than it is. KWIM? I think maybe some of us are coming from it at different angles but looking at the same truth.

I was a victim in my childhood however I have chosen to forgive my abuser. It was the right thing for me... a good thing for me, it also did not come easy- nor overnight.

This isn't about forgiveness in my mind, right now. I don't really know quite how to explain it...

About the girlfriend at the "other school" and JF liking a girl that turned him down at his current school that his cousin is now dating... I thought that too... but the timing really is that as of a week prior JF and the girlfriend at other school were posting loving type things. And then about Wednesday before the shooting is when exgf at other school posted about someone "not being in her life anymore" type of thing. Just didn't seem like enough time for him to like a new girl and be dismissed (which is what I originally thought too). Kind of confusing when I found exgf who does not go to his school social media account that starts with an F...

For the record, I do not want to file JF away in a box marked evil but I also don't want to make this story prettier than it is. KWIM? I think maybe some of us are coming from it at different angles but looking at the same truth.

I was a victim in my childhood however I have chosen to forgive my abuser. It was the right thing for me... a good thing for me, it also did not come easy- nor overnight.

This isn't about forgiveness in my mind, right now. I don't really know quite how to explain it...

I get it. If Jaylen wasn't a 14yr old boy, but a middle aged man, it might be easier for me to jump on the evil bandwagon. I just can't do it. He was a very troubled boy. His BEHAVIOR is inexcusable, but he was still a boy. I empathize with a child who could possibly be in so much emotional pain that they could ever think this was a solution. There are too many "if onlys" in this tragedy. Ultimately, I see this as a suicide plus. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but I think that might be how some of these young survivors may be feeling. . .if we only knew he was hurting so much. It's a forgiveness through understanding.

Btw. . .I was also able to forgive my abuser. It wasn't easy, but ultimately it was freeing. There is a bigger perspective that allows understanding. And with that perspective, this recognition that we are all walking wounded, melted all the shame and anger away. We really are all connected.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

That's what gets me too!! These kids who are basically sticking up for the shooter aren't saying that they forgive him, but it's almost like they have ignored what he did and look at him as one of the victims which he's not. Then again I am looking at this from 1) an outsider, being I don't live in the community and 2) from an adult perspective.

I also don't understand how just because the shooter was NA makes people in general more sympathetic. I can't recall the kids name, but the shooter last spring from either WA or OR who was LDS. I saw people blaming the family, making comments about how he was from a broken home and even snide comments about the LDS church itself. Yet, it's the exact opposite in this case because he's NA? I'll even go on record that I'm LDS and I found some of what was said about the family and their faith hurtful and off base yet I still had no compassion for the shooter. It seems that there is a double standard for this shooting then with others and I just don't get it. This kid like a previous poster stated texted those kids then executed them because they hurt his feelings, made him angry, and didn't give into him. He is no different to me then any of the other school shooters.

This post is not directed at any one here, I'm just really disgusted with how this shooting is being played out in the media and on social media.

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While families or friends of shooting victims sometimes express sympathy or forgiveness for the perpetrators, the notion of a mass shooter being memorialized alongside his victims is unusual, experts say. It speaks to the unique grief this community is feeling, even in a nation where such horrors are becoming ever more common.
“Usually there’s so much anger and frustration and bewilderment in the aftermath, and generally the shooter is not someone who was this loved over time,” said Carolyn Reinach Wolf, a mental health attorney who studies mass shootings. “This is a very different response. Some of that is a credit to the community: People are able to get past the grief of the victims and see that the shooter’s family is grieving and horrified just as much.”

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2014/10/28/washington-school-shooter-remembered-victims/

BBM

While families or friends of shooting victims sometimes express sympathy or forgiveness for the perpetrators, the notion of a mass shooter being memorialized alongside his victims is unusual, experts say. It speaks to the unique grief this community is feeling, even in a nation where such horrors are becoming ever more common.
“Usually there’s so much anger and frustration and bewilderment in the aftermath, and generally the shooter is not someone who was this loved over time,” said Carolyn Reinach Wolf, a mental health attorney who studies mass shootings. “This is a very different response. Some of that is a credit to the community: People are able to get past the grief of the victims and see that the shooter’s family is grieving and horrified just as much.”

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2014/10/28/washington-school-shooter-remembered-victims/

BBM

But when has the family of a school shooter NOT been grieving and horrified by the actions of their child?

MODS I think it is ok if I do his like the media has.
I do not twitter got a bit lost! But the drift is there!

Fryberg recently “went through a breakup.” He had been dating the same girl since seventh grade, and his social media profiles include many pictures of them together and loving messages to her.

he girl featured in many of his pictures posted a video recently to Facebook showing Fryberg asking her to Homecoming.id referenced the break-up, saying that everything happened and that people came and went in her life “for a reason.”

I think this is ok to post - the media are reporting in his tweets, but as usual they only grab a couple of drama - IMO much more nuance is learned in their entirity.

Speculative:This will make sense shortly - I think we are talking about pregancy in the "core" of the thing, and not by him, I think that may have been preciptor, IMO I think relative got her pregnant...Below

Explains a lot Just speculative but read the tweets
s
Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 23

It won't last.... It'll never last....
0 replies 3,989 retweets 2,732 favorites

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 21

If I just laid down....

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 21

I should have listened.... You were right... The whole time you were right..
0 replies 204 retweets 187 favorites

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 21 breaks me... It actually does... I know it seems like I'm sweating it off... But I'm not.. And I never will be able to...
0 replies 370 retweets 262 favorites
Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 20

Alright. You ****in got me.... That broke m
0 replies 220 retweets 164 favorites

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Oct 13

Fuukkkk you

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Sep 20

I'm tired of this *** I'm sooo ****ing done!!

I HATE THIS **
I Hate Hearin **** Like That.. It Just Continues To **** Me Up I Just Feel Stupid Now.. Exactly What I Thought Was Gonna Happen Happened..

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Sep 18

Night ****ing RUINED

Dude. She tells me everything. And now. I ****ing HATE you! Your no longer my "Brother"!

Did you forget she was my girlfriend

Soooo... Our having a kid. And trying to talk to someone else? Hahahaha. Your dumb. Oh!! And she's way younger then you? T'F wrong with you!tweets 45 favorites

“Jaylen looks like he was sitting at a table when he took the picture showing a gun placed between his legs…Most likely he was sitting at the table with the very people he shot just minutes later,” continues the source, who notes that he also sent George a text message that was intended to hurt her.

“Shilene is devastated by what happened and after the shooting the FBI came and confiscated Shilene’s cell phone.”

The source said in the days before the rampage, Fryberg had become “violent” with George and her family had her end the relationship with Fryberg.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/10/jaylen-fryberg-school-shooter-gun-selfie/

Meth?

:blushing: (radar online hardly qualifies as MSM. SG must have her phone back as her FB is active again. Her family has had their own struggles with drugs and she is VERY anti)
------------------------
"He explained that his childhood was a troubled one and that his father introduced him to methamphetamine at approximately 14 years old."

Methamphetamine has proven a daunting problem for many communities in the Pacific Northwest, including Marysville.

“It’s still a huge drug here, though heroin is now probably the biggest problem,” Shackleton said. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/couple-smoked-meth-car-baby-article-1.1230677

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Sep 2
ust so you know ever said she'd do **** to you... That's all you! And yet you haven't done **** but bark

Just cause you got access to it an your around it and it runs in the family doesn't mean that it's for you!I want somethin different for you

Aug 25

Yeah. Cause she sets such a good example for you... Your gonna turn out just like her smh...

Aug 23

Sick Of This ***

Aug 23

Oh My God This Is So ****ing Stupi

· Aug 20

Tell me what your plan is.... You can't make a bond with anyone like the bond me and you have right now.... Tell me what your going to do...

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Aug 20

Your not gonna like what happens nex

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Aug 20

Your gonna piss me off... And then some *advertiser censored* gonna go down and I don't think you'll like it..

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jul 21

Getting caught up in some dumb *advertiser censored* ****! Oh yeah. Thanks. Believe someone else's kid an not yours. Thanks for that!

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 25

When my dad calls some dude a "****ing Queerella funny

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 25

Why don't I believe you...

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 20

**** It Might As well Die Now

Suga How You Get So Fly

Girl You My Angel. Your My Darling A

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 19 ow Your Weaknesses And What Breaks You... And When That **** Happens... Just Know There's No Coming Back

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 19

I guess this is really it...

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 19

I wish I got to meet he

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 18

YOUR SO ****ING BRAVE ST REMEMBER THIS IS ****ING ITNO MORE AFTER THI

Getting a little confused! Tell me what this is!?

You may think she's the one I love the most. But really. If that's what you think. Your wrong. There's someone else I'll love forever

Now... Idk what to do! If you want to... Just tell me and I'll agree I guess and we'll leave it at that!

You're starting to piss me off
aylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 18

Don't talk to you? ohk! That's what I was doing last night! Wasn't that hard!

That's what I thought

You got me ****ed up

Jaylen Fryberg @frybergj · Jun 17

This Is A ****ing Joke

Shelby, I am in no way trying to put you down for your feelings! Please understand that! I admire your compassion. I am normally a very loving, empathic person but for some reason can't find it in this circumstance. I appreciate NA traditions and their cultural beliefs- I find them extremely noble- I just don't know why I am feeling the way I am. Someone mentioned earlier up thread about the Amish communities response to the shooter being similar and while I admire the sentiment and in some intellectual way understand it, I can't personally muster it here. I was wondering if I was the only one?
no you aren't ® I wanted to pop his balloon at the memorial fence. I don't see if a victim.

IMO, this shooting is so tragic on so many levels. My sincere condolences go out to all the families and friends of the victims. 14 and 15 yo kids don't have the coping skills of adults. I read these tweets and FB posts as fairly typical immature teenage angst. I am just sorry that JF could not have talked to an adult to confide in and get his head wrapped around whatever was going on. JMV

But when has the family of a school shooter NOT been grieving and horrified by the actions of their child?

There didn't seem to be much surprise about the Sandy Hook shooter, if I remember right everyone knew something was wrong with him beforehand.

There didn't seem to be much surprise about the Sandy Hook shooter, if I remember right everyone knew something was wrong with him beforehand.

I do think that is one element missing here is that there were not the "red flags" with JF that we have seen with other shooters and clearly those that knew him are very suprised that he would do this. Some posters have suggested that his twitter is fraught with things that are out of the ordinary but as someone that works with teens that are troubled, while not what a parent would want their kids to be tweeting, I guess I'm not seeing some of the signs that others are interpreting. Teens are not rational adults and may be experiencing emotions, deeply felt emotions for the first time and the truth is that growing up as a teen now vs even just 10-15 years ago...it's a different world with the advent of social media.

Thanks Tink- from the same article (I read this earlier today) this statement really bothers me. I should be a little more clear, it actually angers and confuses me:

"My feeling is that God knows what happened and I think we all ought to leave it alone and leave it there because I don't think we're really going to find out really totally what happened," Don Hatch said.

Are you kidding me? How does that help anyone? I want to know a lot! This happened at a public school, on public property. Can you imagine if this was the response from anyone at the Columbine shootings?

I find it arrogant and bizarre. I feel bad too, as this statement came from Nick Hatch's grandfather apparently.

Nick Hatch, while being mentally and physically scarred, has been upgraded to satisfactory condition. I wonder if the parents of Gia and Zoe think we ought to "leave it alone and leave it there"? If my child was killed in such a way, especially by someone I considered to be one of their closest friends, I would want answers.

Comment:

It sounds like Jaylen had a lot of personal charisma and possessed the traits of a natural leader. Someone mentioned his bold sense of humor and, from what I can see, he talked and carried himself as though he had a lot of self confidence.

People with traits like that inspire loyalty and trust from the people around him and many people may have been intensely proud to be a part of his inner circle.

For that reason, I think it may be awhile before reality sinks in and people once in awe of him realize he's gone and left wide destruction in his wake.

---

Questions:

1. I was wondering about his killing those in his inner circle and the possiblity that he wanted to "keep them close" to him. Does anyone know about the Tulalip idea of the afterlife and meeting up with people in the afterlife?

2. Someone alluded to the victims being shot in the back. I had not heard this. Is there a source or is it widely known? I understood he looked at each victim before pulling the trigger but shooting them in the back requires him walking around the table. Do we know anything about the sequencing of the shots? Who first, et al?

Comment:

It sounds like Jaylen had a lot of personal charisma and possessed the traits of a natural leader. Someone mentioned his bold sense of humor and, from what I can see, he talked and carried himself as though he had a lot of self confidence.

People with traits like that inspire loyalty and trust from the people around him and many people may have been intensely proud to be a part of his inner circle.

For that reason, I think it may be awhile before reality sinks in and people once in awe of him realize he's gone and left wide destruction in his wake.

---

Questions:

1. I was wondering about his killing those in his inner circle and the possiblity that he wanted to "keep them close" to him. Does anyone know about the Tulalip idea of the afterlife and meeting up with people in the afterlife?

2. Someone alluded to the victims being shot in the back. I had not heard this. Is there a source or is it widely known? I understood he looked at each victim before pulling the trigger but shooting them in the back requires him walking around the table. Do we know anything about the sequencing of the shots? Who first, et al?

I've read a few interviews that said Jaylen walked up behind the kids and started shooting. I'm trying to find the article that quoted a kid who witnessed it. I wonder if he shot Zoe first? She died on the scene so maybe he had the advantage of taking them by surprise. The others must have reacted after the initial shot but they probably couldn't get far if they were all seated at a lunchroom table. :( The girls were probably on their phones. I am thinking Nate was probably the last to be shot since the others all suffered severe head injuries and he was hit in the jaw.

I found the article:

Erick Cervantes is a student at the school who witnessed the shootings, from the events beforehand until the moment the gunman shot himself — after being confronted by a heroic woman, he told KIRO-TV. “I believe she’s actuality the real hero. She’s the one that intercepted him with the gun. He tried either reloading or tried aiming at her. She tried moving his hand away and he tried shooting and shot himself in the neck,” Cervantes said.

He said the gunshots followed a verbal altercation.

“It started off with an argument, but then I looked back and there was just gunshots and just people falling down,
” Cervantes recalled. And immediately after the gunshots, the (woman) intervened, he said.

“She heard the gunshots first and she came in running through the door, right next to it,” he recalled.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/police-response-marysville-pilchuck-high-school/nhrKj/ KiroTV seems to be continually updating this page. Looking back at some of the earlier "tweets" and stories:

LIVE: Two females also being treated at Providence. Docs trying to establish identities, both suffered head injuries. (via Twitter)

Process of identifying patients with head injuries very difficult, hospital spox says. (via Twitter)

Dr. Joanna Roberts, the Chief Medical Officer at Providence Everett, briefed reporters throughout the afternoon on the four young patients they treated in their critical care unit. A team lead by 25 doctors rushed to keep them alive. All had wounds to the head. “Stopping bleeding. Head bleeding,” Dr. Roberts said, describing where doctors and nurses focused their efforts. “It’s stopping -decompressing - any brain swelling that may be starting to occur.”

“About two months ago we actually choreographed and rehearsed this very episode,” Roberts said. “We put together a scenario where there was a local school shooting, injured children coming though. So, as horrible as this situation is, we really were prepared for it.”

But even drills, she indicated, don’t prepare staffers for the emotional trauma. “I will tell you we will all go home tonight and cry,” Roberts said.

This article provides some new info:l

The Snohomish County medical examiner on Monday ruled Fryberg's death a suicide. There had been some question over whether he might have shot himself accidentally as a teacher tried to intervene, but Trenary said Monday that investigators confirmed there was no physical contact between the teacher and the gunman.

Hatch, who was shot in the jaw, is the only victim who has shown improvement. He was upgraded to satisfactory condition Monday in intensive care at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He posted a message of forgiveness on Twitter. "I love you and I forgive you jaylen rest in peace," he wrote. A friend confirmed the feed's authenticity to The Associated Press.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dr_snuff
Back