GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My final comments for the night (because I have to get some sleep for work!), from the charging documents....

two men in Phoenix were contacted by the accused and told that they were being pursued by LE. The two men gave the accused $500 and the keys to the Acura.

So obviously these two men gave up this info to LE. This was after they apparently knew that they were helping the Reed brothers evade LE. I'm guessing that LE applied some persuasive tactics!

I really want to know what brand camera that was. I'm shopping for a camera security system and I think this company should get a shout out!

@DavidRoseQ13FOX: Friend says missing couple rushed to their accused murderer's home after Oso landslide http://via.q13fox.com/EkZyW #Q13FOX @SnoCoSheriff

- A close friend of Monique Patenaude and Patrick Shunn said that in the moments after the Oso landslide, the couple sprinted across a flooding pasture to check on John Reed – one of the two men charged Tuesday with first-degree murder following what police say were brutal deaths for both.

@DavidRoseQ13FOX: Friend says missing couple rushed to their accused murderer's home after Oso landslide http://via.q13fox.com/EkZyW #Q13FOX @SnoCoSheriff

- A close friend of Monique Patenaude and Patrick Shunn said that in the moments after the Oso landslide, the couple sprinted across a flooding pasture to check on John Reed – one of the two men charged Tuesday with first-degree murder following what police say were brutal deaths for both.
A testament to their incredible character. Even though this man had terrorized them, they still went to check on him and make sure he was safe.

From the 'documents' I've noted what was apparently under the "camo tarp" found at the top of the embankment:
- an ACE Hardware bag
- an axe
- cable
- galvanized clips
- shop towels
- used black nitrile gloves (turned inside out)
- two 4x4 treated posts
- receipt (found in the bag) dated April 13, 2016 8:46am, for 8 galvanized wire rope clips

Based on the manner in which the items were found, LE determined that whoever pushed the vehicles over the embankment planned to return.

BBM: I guess this pair of geniuses doesn't realize that most stores have MANY surveillance cameras throughout their stores. I will make it easy to see who was buying those items with the receipt.

I notice that Tony had no arrests between 9/5/2000 and 2/21/2010. I wonder what was keeping him out of his usual constant trouble for almost ten years. He wasn't in prison.

Sadly, I think he may have been committing crimes. Perhaps he just wasn't caught.......

So according to the docs, it sounds like the murder occurred on the Shunn property between 1pm-4:30pm.

My initial thought upthread (I think I posted my thought) was Monique and Pat were possibly sitting ducks and each maybe shot in their vehicles as they drove up to their home that day. The neighbors say the house looked undisturbed, so it sounds like they were killed outside the house on the property somewhere, and sounds like maybe in their vehicles. Maybe that's why the Reeds went through the trouble to put the vehicles down the embankment, they held lots of evidence.

What I don't get is - isn't there a kidnapping charge?

So according to the docs, it sounds like the murder occurred on the Shunn property between 1pm-4:30pm.

My initial thought upthread (I think I posted my thought) was Monique and Pat were possibly sitting ducks and each maybe shot in their vehicles as they drove up to their home that day. The neighbors say the house looked undisturbed, so it sounds like they were killed outside the house on the property somewhere, and sounds like maybe in their vehicles. Maybe that's why the Reeds went through the trouble to put the vehicles down the embankment, they held lots of evidence.

What I don't get is - isn't there a kidnapping charge?

That's when you hold someone against their will. Because LE doesn't know the timeline, it is possible they were both shot at the property entrance and weren't held captive. They did find a fresh shell casing near the gate. Most likely they were shot in their cars as they got home, bodies thrown in the back, dismembered in tub, taken to place where vehicles were dumped and body pieces disposed somewhere nearby or along the way.

Hope the suspects' father is also arrested and charged. What a great guy.

I sat here this morning and thoroughly read the charging documents, matter of fact I read them twice. I was trying to form a picture of what happened to this couple and how these two brothers were able to incapacitate them. Even with all the information provided, there are still a couple of missing pieces to the puzzle.

First of all, I think the Reeds waited until both of the victims pulled up to the entry gate and stopped, and then shot them from a distance with a hunting rifle. Apparently one of the victims was still alive when the Reeds walked up to the car, and was shot with a 9mm pistol in order to finish the job.

Immediately after being shot, their bodies were loaded into the rear of their SUV's right there in front of the gate, and then driven "somewhere" to be buried or disposed of. Nothing in the house appeared to have been disturbed at all, so I don't think either one of them ever made it through the gate.

The parts of the story I'm struggling to understand are as follows:
The neighbors that lived close by, the ones the couple was texting and planning to spend the evening with, didn't report hearing any gunshots that afternoon.
Why not ? Apparently nobody else reported hearing any gunshots either, at least not that made it into the charging documents.

When the neighbors went to their home to do a check on them at 4:30 p.m., both vehicles were gone. Both vehicles were seen the following morning at 3:30 a.m. on a surveillance camera being driven to where they were found. Where were these two vehicles being stored after the owners were shot ?

Were the vehicles immediately driven up into the hills after the shooting in order to bury the bodies ? If so, once again, where were the vehicles stored until the early morning hours when they were moved and an attempt made to hide them ? All of this driving around and moving things, and yet no witnesses report seeing anything ?

They must be buried or dumped close enough by that their cell phones continued to ping from the same tower as they normally would. The reason being, the pings didn't register at a different location until the next morning when the vehicles were moved. Wherever the vehicles were taken after the shootings, it was still within range of the normal cell tower in that area.

I think there are neighbors around there that both heard and saw things, but for whatever reason, are choosing to keep quiet about it. Maybe they will open up a little bit after these two psychos are caught. Then again, with all the feuding and hard feelings going on around there, maybe the neighbors feel as though the two of them got what they had coming.

BBM: I guess this pair of geniuses doesn't realize that most stores have MANY surveillance cameras throughout their stores. I will make it easy to see who was buying those items with the receipt.

I thought I read that the camera at the store wasn't working and that all the clerk could remember was that a man bought the stuff. And, apparently John Reed has been known to shop there. Have to head off to work so can't check to see where I saw it.

To Steelman's post. In rural areas and wooded areas I would guess that gunfire is not so uncommon that neighbors take a real notice. I live in a rural area and we hear gunfire all the time. Probably once a week . People target practice and shoot wild critters near their livestock and hunt. No one out here would call LE for hearing gunfire and if LE came asking a few days later, I doubt many would have made a mental note of it.

To Steelman's post. In rural areas and wooded areas I would guess that gunfire is not so uncommon that neighbors take a real notice. I live in a rural area and we hear gunfire all the time. Probably once a week . People target practice and shoot wild critters near their livestock and hunt. No one out here would call LE for hearing gunfire and if LE came asking a few days later, I doubt many would have made a mental note of it.

I agree for the most part about the gunshots in rural areas, but what I find strange is that no one seemed to have reported hearing gunshots during that 3 hour lull between when Monique arrived home, when Pat arrived home, and when the neighbors arrived at 4:30 p.m. I would think that LE would've at least reported that one or more of the neighbors heard gunfire during that timespan, including the ones they were friends with. You see that surface in many police reports, but it was left completely out of this one.

I'm thinking Monique did go past the gate and must have been home long enough to let the dog out. The documents state from the neighbor that the dog was running loose and it would never be outside unattended. The worst comes to mind when I think about how Monique may have died. Hope I am wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Remember, we don't have all the details yet. They put the minimum amount of details that they can while still making their case in probable cause documents. So neighbors could have heard gunshots, but LE didn't feel the need to release that info. The probable cause documents could just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of evidence and testimony that implicates the Reed brothers.

Bet these creeps are in Mexico......

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Moses Lake sightings were made purposely to throw LE off their trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the difference between probable cause documents and charging documents?

I did try to Google my ? but I just want a simple answer :thinking:

What is the difference between probable cause documents and charging documents?

I did try to Google my ? but I just want a simple answer :thinking:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/?fa=newsinfo_jury.termguide

charge
Formal accusation of having committed a criminal offense.

probable cause
Reasonable cause; having more evidence for than against; a reasonable belief that a crime has or is being committed; the basis for all lawful searches, seizures, and arrests.

Basically, probable cause gives LE the authority to arrest. And the formal charge document is completed after the investigation is complete and is decided by the District Attorney on what crimes the accused is legally charged with.

Hope that helped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back