WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping and praying that Samantha is found soon.

Great respect and my deep appreciation goes out to the searchers there. This is such a difficult and hazardous area to search. May they all be safe.

I am thinking of Samantha's Mom and all who know and love Samantha. May they hold one another close during this very difficult time.

Hopefully answers will come soon.

I’ll echo what others have said: MOO, Sam’s family needs to hire someone to coordinate the family’s search (and recovery) efforts. Sam’s mother isn’t in the position to do so, and from reports here, is too emotionally invested (very understandably so) to be effective in that role. I realize this is easier said than done.

I watched an early video report and decided I’d have to follow any developments from future reports through WS. My heart goes out to her mother. We all really hope that Sam is found alive. If that doesn’t happen, I hope her mother is able to hold Sam’s spirit close in her heart as inspiration to face each new day. ❤️

I’ll echo what others have said: MOO, Sam’s family needs to hire someone to coordinate the family’s search (and recovery) efforts. Sam’s mother isn’t in the position to do so, and from reports here, is too emotionally invested (very understandably so) to be effective in that role. I realize this is easier said than done.

I agree. She is too close to this to be effective in this role. Each video I watch gets more and more painful, and each time I see the mother she looks more and more unhinged (not deranged, but desperate and not thinking clearly). It's hard to watch, but I do because I hope to gather any information to pass along. However, when she goes on those rants about how until we have any proof she's not alive, she's alive, I feel so sad for her. It's just denial at this point.

That being said, I do think that we have some circumstantial evidence that she may not be alive anymore. For example, she hasn't stumbled out onto any trail yet. I would think that after 30 days she would have popped out somewhere by now. Maybe not where everyone is thinking, but I would think she would be able to find a trail and follow it.

I hope that the Jon Francis Foundation provides the help that they are looking for. It seems like they may provide some type of "victim advocate" to be a liaison between the family and the SAR groups.

I think they said they'd return if there was a credible break and/or if conditions allowed. From the Facebook post announcing the end of their search: "Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel will continue to conduct spot checks of the area as snow continues to melt, as weather and other conditions safely allow."

Snohomish County SAR Facebook post

When I read about them returning on Tuesday for a two hour search, I figured it was due to the good weather conditions predicted for Tuesday.

Thanks for clarifying! Makes sense!

If she was deceased out there. Wouldn't vultures be circling the area by now?

If she was deceased out there. Wouldn't vultures be circling the area by now?

This is actually a myth about vultures, and other scavengers. The only time they "circle" is when they are trying to determine if a corpse is fresh enough to eat (this is any corpse--human or animal). Once they make that determination, they fly down and eat what they can before another animal chases them off. This is particularly true for the Turkey Vulture, which is common in Washington, if they live in an area where other, larger birds are common.

Vultures also may not be the first to arrive. It's possible that other animals, like bears, will also scavenge, and other birds will do this as well. For instance, it has been noted that birds will often take hair to make nests. Even wolves will scavenge.

As gruesome as it may sound, the fight over recently deceased carrion in any form is a prize worth fighting over. If the vultures get there first, they certainly aren't going to wait.

Also of note, vultures do not circle dying creatures either. This is a waste of their time. They'd rather go find another carcass.

Seeing posts regarding Harry Oakes, private SAR expert made me dig into his FB page and website. He sounds knowledgeable for sure, if not a bit overly critical of others. Then I found this:
Checkered past follows search and rescue worker to Longview

JMO

Wow! Good find. I had been reading through his page and he seemed so accomplished... almost too good to be true. This does explain why he can only "consult" though despite his accomplishments. I think this is something that the family has been dealing with a lot...scammers who take their money and getting dubious services in response. I hope this all ends with the help of the new organization that is coming in Wednesday.

This is actually a myth about vultures, and other scavengers. The only time they "circle" is when they are trying to determine if a corpse is fresh enough to eat (this is any corpse--human or animal). Once they make that determination, they fly down and eat what they can before another animal chases them off. This is particularly true for the Turkey Vulture, which is common in Washington, if they live in an area where other, larger birds are common.

Vultures also may not be the first to arrive. It's possible that other animals, like bears, will also scavenge, and other birds will do this as well. For instance, it has been noted that birds will often take hair to make nests. Even wolves will scavenge.

As gruesome as it may sound, the fight over recently deceased carrion in any form is a prize worth fighting over. If the vultures get there first, they certainly aren't going to wait.

Also of note, vultures do not circle dying creatures either. This is a waste of their time. They'd rather go find another carcass.
Wow. Thanks. That was very informative.

Wow! Good find. I had been reading through his page and he seemed so accomplished... almost too good to be true. This does explain why he can only "consult" though despite his accomplishments. I think this is something that the family has been dealing with a lot...scammers who take their money and getting dubious services in response. I hope this all ends with the help of the new organization that is coming in Wednesday.
I just finished my search on Mr. Oakes, I found more neg reviews, several re lost pet searches. Many professional SAR groups refuse to work with him. Caveat emptor as they say. JMO.

I just finished my search on Mr. Oakes, I found more neg reviews, several re lost pet searches. Many professional SAR groups refuse to work with him. Caveat emptor as they say. JMO.
Very interesting. He does still have a lot of
His dog was right in finding Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis, two twelve year olds brutally raped and murdered by Ward Weaver. That is just one of many successes. Definitely controversy surrounds him. I liken it to the best surgeons have the worst bedside manner....that is the experience we have had in numerous major health issues at Mayo Clinic. Maybe Harry is a bit like that. A genius, but doesn’t work well with others?

The only problem with mountain dogs is that they are not mountain lions that can climb down and climb back up in certain mountain areas.

So it's very dangerous for them dogs to actually follow the scent that they really want to follow.

So even if they follow a scent towards a cliff. They will not be able to shuffle down that cliff.

So imo. Drones are the best bet for now. Jmo

Seeing posts regarding Harry Oakes, private SAR expert made me dig into his FB page and website. He sounds knowledgeable for sure, if not a bit overly critical of others. Then I found this:
Checkered past follows search and rescue worker to Longview

JMO
Ahh no wonder he disparages Oregon and Oregon SAR groups! I wondered what his beef was with them. There’s a certain level of narcissism in his posts that turned me off when I read his FB page yesterday.

Ahh no wonder he disparages Oregon and Oregon SAR groups! I wondered what his beef was with them. There’s a certain level of narcissism in his posts that turned me off when I read his FB page yesterday.
I’ve never heard of him. Is he a private investigator? Or should I say, a private SAR? If he’s good at this, I guess one can overlook the narcissism and negativity. Unless, of course it effects his work. There’s an SAR guy who searches privately in the Sierras. His name is Dean Rosnau. He has searched relentlessly, even with family members, for Matthew Grrene who went missing in July 2013. Dean ended up writing a book and giving lectures about his rescue missions and specifically MG’s case and many friends of MG took it negatively personally. The family has always suported him and, IMO, he’s the genuine deal. I followed that case religiously myself.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of him. Is he a private investigator? Or should I say, a private SAR? If he’s good at this, I guess one can overlook the narcissism and negativity. Unless, of course it effects his work. There’s an SAR guy who searches privately in the Sierras. His name is Dean Rosnau. He has searched relentlessly, even with family members, for Matthew Grrene who went missing in July 2013. Dean ended up writing a book and giving lectures about his rescue missions and specifically MG’s case and many friends of MG took is negatively personally. The family has always suported him and, IMO, he’s the genuine deal. I followed that case religiously myself.
I had never heard of him until this week either. I guess his track record should speak for itself. He says he has found a bunch of missing persons but only mentions a handful of names. I wonder if he has a CV somewhere listing all his finds?

I haven’t heard of Dean Rosnau either but knew about Matthew Greene. My sister lived in Mammoth for a couple of years and I used to go up to visit her. We’ve hiked the area he went missing from. It’s so vast up there. He could be anywhere :(

I had never heard of him until this week either. I guess his track record should speak for itself. He says he has found a bunch of missing persons but only mentions a handful of names. I wonder if he has a CV somewhere listing all his finds?

I haven’t heard of Dean Rosnau either but knew about Matthew Greene. My sister lived in Mammoth for a couple of years and I used to go up to visit her. We’ve hiked the area he went missing from. It’s so vast up there. He could be anywhere :(
So true. And MG never told anyone his exact plans for the day. Plus no one missed him for 10? days. SAR never really responded because of the vastness if the area as you say, and all the unknowns. Dean took it upon himself to befriend the family and search where he believed the likely area of disappearance occurred . In Sam’s case, look how difficult it’s been and they know where she was hiking.

I had the same reaction and was intrigued, is he that awesome, or??? It didn’t take but a Google search to see all the controversy, complaints, and individual accounts of perceived incompetence and fraud. JMO.

Very interesting. He does still have a lot of

His dog was right in finding Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis, two twelve year olds brutally raped and murdered by Ward Weaver. That is just one of many successes. Definitely controversy surrounds him. I liken it to the best surgeons have the worst bedside manner....that is the experience we have had in numerous major health issues at Mayo Clinic. Maybe Harry is a bit like that. A genius, but doesn’t work well with others?
Hi there, I am quite familiar with the WFMC , hello from Seattle! I’m not sure about the genius part tho, this is one of many (hard pressed to find any positive testimonials):
Harry Oakes Epic Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member