WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a really hard time having compassion for anyone other than Azriel and his (almost) step-siblings in this situation. I hope they find Shantina and are able to get toxicology results but I don't think they'll ever be able to fully piece together the pieces of this puzzle.

I noticed in one of the videos (that shows mom and AZ PRIOR to entering the store) when the little boy exits the van, he leaves it wide open. I thought I was on to something here...thinking it must have been him to leave the side door open. However, when I watched it again, I realized that the side door closes automatically. So, could the water have shorted the electrical system and that's why the door didn't close all the way? Could the van have been turned off prior to the door closing?

Does any WS'ers have a van door like this? Will it still close if the van is turned off prior to the door being opened?

Hmmm......

Here's the video I am referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5ccWD-mrYmM

i don't get the wine bottle getting out of the car, she put it on the passenger side and that door was not open.

I noticed in one of the videos (that shows mom and AZ PRIOR to entering the store) when the little boy exits the van, he leaves it wide open. I thought I was on to something here...thinking it must have been him to leave the side door open. However, when I watched it again, I realized that the side door closes automatically. So, could the water have shorted the electrical system and that's why the door didn't close all the way? Could the van have been turned off prior to the door closing?

Does any WS'ers have a van door like this? Will it still close if the van is turned off prior to the door being opened?

Hmmm......

Here's the video I am referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5ccWD-mrYmM

My daughter has a van like that. The doors will open and close when the ignition is off (a least on hers they do).

eta: To be more clear: You have to manually push the button inside or use the outside door handle.

After watching the surveillance videos of the Handy Pantry & the Safeway, I don't think she was intoxicated at that point yet (if she became intoxicated at all, but since a half-empty jug of wine that looked like the one she bought @ the Handy Pantry was found on the beach, someone had to have drank it).

Maybe she bought the jug of wine to take with her to Castle Rock, and didn't intend on drinking it until she arrived at her destination. But after getting lost & stuck in the sand, no phone, dark, cold night, they decided to stay put til morning, so she pops the cork (or unscrews the cap). She drank half the jug, they fell asleep, the tide came in, and...

What happened after that is anybody's guess. I just hope this was all a tragic accident. Not that it makes it any less of a loss, but the alternative (suicide attempt gone wrong?) is even worse to contemplate.

will water start creeping in as soon as it gets to the doors or is a car fairly well sealed.

It really upsets me that the news and RS is saying she only relapsed a week ago. When clearly in this photo she is having a beer in Feb with RS on a getaway. I'm surprised she bought the wine in front of Az unless he was used to seeing her do that...

Why would RS let her drink if he knew her problem - especially if he knew her problem and how bad it was to announce it to the nation...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31188069&id=1201642426

Awful...

Sorry...but NO one can stop an alcoholic from drinking...as he was not the father of the boy , he could not stop her from going out with him , she was not drinking when she left

I challenge anyone to call the cops and say "this person has a drinking problem and I think they might drink"

It is not his fault she drank...in Al Alon we learn the 3 C's ""I didn't cause it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it".

If you want to blame anyone, blame the system that has reduced rehabs, the system that has made it much harder to get mental health help

Years ago you could call the mental hospital and they really did come out and pick up people...I am sure that I am and some of my family members are alive because of it....today we would be one of those "family massacres" at Thanksgiving or whatever

As for her son....kids of alcoholics love their parents who are often great when not drinking...they are in denial...there is nothing they can do...they make up excuses in their heads, they say "mommy is just nervous...mommy is more special than other mothers, she is nervous"...sometimes they blame themselves..."Maybe I made Mommy mad"....whatever

coulda, woulda shoulda

The real "coulda" here is that years ago you could get a family member into a rehab for 28 days when they had a "slip"...now that is impossible unless you are a star and have money to go to Malibu dry out resort

If she did this- intentionally or accidentally, I hope she is alive to pay for what she did. How tragic. :(

I am trying to listen to the scanner feed for gig harbor/ sheriff dept. but it is coming in really crappy.

Its odd this heavy wine bottle ended up down the beach, but her wallet remained in the vehicle.

Maybe the wallet was in the middle console? In between the seats, like a open compartment? Maybe she placed the wine bottle on the floor on the passenger side. Azriel may have taken off his coat to use his coat like a blanket or a pillow? I dont know. But anything is possible being that the water came into the car and washed away some of their belongings.

I think it will be very strange if they don't find his red coat though and their overnight bag.

I am also interested in how deep the water would have had to have gotten for her still to be able to open the drivers door. Wouldn't deep water have caused to much pressure to force the door open?

Maybe she bought the jug of wine to take with her to Castle Rock, and didn't intend on drinking it until she arrived at her destination. But after getting lost & stuck in the sand, no phone, dark, cold night, they decided to stay put til morning, so she pops the cork (or unscrews the cap). She drank half the jug, they fell asleep, the tide came in, and...

Part of this seems like a likely scenario to me. However, she bought the wine at 8:02 PM and by 9 when they were at the diner, I believe she was intoxicated (based on what the waitress said and her falling in the parking lot - I also believe Azriel could have been trying to cover up for her drinking by saying she hit her head). I think she then got disoriented and lost and then stuck in the mud and then decided to sleep it off, but the tide came in and took them.

I am trying to listen to the scanner feed for gig harbor/ sheriff dept. but it is coming in really crappy.

Link for that please? The Pierce County Sheriff's office feed from radioreference is not currently online.

thanks.

I am also interested in how deep the water would have had to have gotten for her still to be able to open the drivers door. Wouldn't deep water have caused to much pressure to force the door open?

If the van's front end was in the water (like I thought it was), then that could explain if it was the rear door and back hatch that were open. If the front end was closest to the water and they decided to sleep for awhile and then the tide came in, the front would maybe start filling up with water first if it was at a downward incline.

If the van's front end was in the water (like I thought it was), then that could explain if it was the rear door and back hatch that were open. If the front end was closest to the water and they decided to sleep for awhile and then the tide came in, the front would maybe start filling up with water first if it was at a downward incline.

The photos showed the back end of the van at the water's edge.

Go to link below and then click on highlighted sentence "online police scanner"

Code 911 articles are written by Kitsap Sun staff based on reports from law enforcement agencies, coroners, firefighters and prosecutors. Report a crime news tip to reporter Josh Farley or call our newsroom tip line at (360) 792-8558.

Find reports of past crimes in your neighborhood, based on data provided local law enforcement agencies on our Kitsap neighborhood crime map.

Want to know what's going on right now? You can listen to our online police scanner.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/news/local/communities/gig-harbor/crime-fire/

Do you have a copy of the pics or a link? Thanks!

0316shantina_van_firstpic.jpg

0315shantina_van.jpg

0315shantina_search1.jpg

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Nat...mom-and-son-87825797.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528