WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of those articles were published before the 18th... when Az's body was found.
Yes, true.....But to me, his death makes things more, not less, suspicious. How does finding his body and the fact that he drowned, answer all the questions? I guess to me, it does not...

I just wanted to say you can have your alarm set and still activate it yourself to go off.
If it was Azriel knocking it would have scared the crap out of him because they are loud.
If it was a level headed adult with him, they would think, okay the alarm is going off,
so someone is home and the police will be here soon. They would have persistently tried
to get help, if you are desperate you do what you have to do. I have always felt if it was
one of them getting help it was Azriel. For whatever reason I do not think Shantina was
able to. What is perplexing is the dogs did not pick up a scent, yet what a strange coincidence
the homeowner activated the alarm, the same night Azriel and Shantina go missing.That would
be able to be proven because all alarm companies keep records and can tell you when your
alarm started and when it stopped.

IIRC, he said he set the alarm and looked outside, but saw nothing. It was never clear to me that the alarm actually went off.

It would never occur to me that the term "activated the alarm" would mean anything other than one turned the alarm system on to detect an intrusion. In many parts of the country homeowners are required to register alarms and pay fines for false alarms. Hitting the panic button because of a knocking sound wouldn't be responsible, nor would it make for happy neighbors IMO.

<snipped>

Did Robb remove his time line? I was never able to link to it, recently I link to a page of files...

He did remove it, but a few articles and forums still have it up.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/B...-LUCK-BR-In-finding-missing-woman-and-her-son

Smiley’s fiancée Robb Simmons said there have been incorrect media reports regarding the time line of how and when Shantina went missing. To clear up confusion he posted the following timeline of events on a web site he established to find Shantina and her son:

TIMELINE FROM ROBB SIMMONS

“After several years, Shantina had made contact with her Step Father in Castle Rock. We had planned to go down and visit them.

I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father’s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents.

Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone.

They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok.

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back.

We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock.

During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van.

In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and say the van. As many of you know, I usually have a camera on hand, besides being waterlogged, the van did have some damage, but no broken windows. There was no sign of Shantina or Azriel.

I spent about 6 hours on the location talking to the detectives. I left there around 5:30, and had to make numerous stops to field phone calls from numerous sources, including the media.

I stopped at my childrens mother house to sit with them around 8:00pm

Last night they brought blood hounds over, and took scent item.

I have no idea of why she would have ended up down that road. I know that our family want both her and Azriel back home safe and sound.

Please pray for their safe return. I already talked with Azriel’s Father in New York. That is a hard call to make.”

He did remove it, but a few articles and forums still have it up.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/B...-LUCK-BR-In-finding-missing-woman-and-her-son

Smiley&#8217;s fiancée Robb Simmons said there have been incorrect media reports regarding the time line of how and when Shantina went missing. To clear up confusion he posted the following timeline of events on a web site he established to find Shantina and her son:

TIMELINE FROM ROBB SIMMONS

&#8220;After several years, Shantina had made contact with her Step Father in Castle Rock. We had planned to go down and visit them.

I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn&#8217;t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father&#8217;s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents.

Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone.

They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok.

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back.

We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock.

During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff&#8217;s office. The had found the Van.

In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and say the van. As many of you know, I usually have a camera on hand, besides being waterlogged, the van did have some damage, but no broken windows. There was no sign of Shantina or Azriel.

I spent about 6 hours on the location talking to the detectives. I left there around 5:30, and had to make numerous stops to field phone calls from numerous sources, including the media.

I stopped at my childrens mother house to sit with them around 8:00pm

Last night they brought blood hounds over, and took scent item.

I have no idea of why she would have ended up down that road. I know that our family want both her and Azriel back home safe and sound.

Please pray for their safe return. I already talked with Azriel&#8217;s Father in New York. That is a hard call to make.&#8221;

I had not noticed this before, but in the article in the above link there is this;

The residents told investigators that around 10:00 p.m. Smiley knocked on their door and came in the house to call her grandfather in Castle Rock, because she was lost, according to the residents of the house.

Does anyone know if that info is correct?

Does she have a grandfater in Castle Rock?

Did they mean her stepfather in Castle Rock?

In RS timeline, he states she called the grandparents in Brinnon and he knew this by chance right after she called them. So he knew where she was at around 10pm.

I'm confused as to who she actually called. Did she call both?

Since the Willians' didn't know anything except what they observed, and were told by Shantina, had she called both, or did they get confused?

Has LE confrimed who all she called at the Williams' home that night?
tia

So LE knew she had been on 46th ave at 10pm. It seems like everyone knew where to look, so why didn't they?

Because he is in vigilant contact with the authorities, did LE go to the Williams' house before they found the van, b/c there's this guy who is freaking out b/c he can't find his gf and her son, but knows she was in Olympia at 1010pm. Caller id says whose house she was at. Did they check it out?

What a sad set of circumstances. moo

At 1am the tide was already in, would he have been able to get to the "beach" or would he have been walking thru a high tide? That doesn't sound like it is possible to walk through.

If he came from the beach he would have been wet, shouldn't the dogs have been able to pick up a sent or something??

Sorry about the prior post I have been a day late and behind you guys the whole way. I wrote it yesterday and didn't realize it didn't post.

High Tide was at 6 AM. The most that the tide would have risen is barely around the tires. No deep water yet to wade through.

I do not see this knock as coming from Az. I think with the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on whether the clock was set back at the time or not that a lot of ground could have been covered in that time. The fact that the items were found left at the spot somewhere around the stairs points to them walking not back up to the nearest houses on Zangle Rd. for help but down the beach is not a good sign. If the knock was connected because of proximity, it was not to the closest house On Island View Dr. either. But just a random house. So I think we can discount that anyone climbed those stairs once that night much less up and back down again after 4 knocks on one house. It seems as Yosande writes in her post, that the knocks were to draw attention to that area. So if no one really used the stairs, then it was like everything else, as she also notes, to direct attention away from another area.

LE states that they can't rule out that she may be alive. And neither can I.

I had not noticed this before, but in the article in the above link there is this;

The residents told investigators that around 10:00 p.m. Smiley knocked on their door and came in the house to call her grandfather in Castle Rock, because she was lost, according to the residents of the house.

In RS timeline, he states she called the grandparents in Brinnon and he knew this by chance right after she called them. So he knew where she was at around 10pm.

Since the Willians' didn't know anything except what they observed, and were told by Shantina, had she called both, or did they get confused?

tia

So LE knew she had been on 46th ave at 10pm. It seems like everyone knew where to look, so why didn't they?

Because he is in vigilant contact with the authorities, did LE go to the Williams' house before they found the van, b/c there's this guy who is freaking out b/c he can't find his gf and her son, but knows she was in Olympia at 1010pm. Caller id says whose house she was at. Did they check it out?

I think the media got confused; the person she called was her grandfather in Brinnon (strange she'd do so, but that's what happened).

Good questions. Did RS tell police about the call placed at the Williams'? These were two people who had vanished, why wouldn't they want to check ASAP with the last people known to have seen and talked to them?

tia

I don't think the police knew at that time that she went to the Williams house at 10. Didn't they find out the next day after discovering the van and realizing Shantina and Az were missing?

As far as her calling her grandfather in Castle Rock - either that was a mistake made by the media and it should have said grandfather in Brinnon (because I believe her gp's in Brinnon confirmed she called them)- or she made two calls from their phone - one to her grandfather in Brinnon and one to someone in Castle Rock. If she did call someone in Castle Rock that night, that person has not come forward. It would be very interesting to see the phone records of the Williams' as well as calls to/from RS's cell phone.

I too wonder if RS contacted the Williams' that night saying my gf was at your house and used your phone and she has still not turned up. I would have been at their home in a heart beat. It seems logical that is what someone would do in that situation.

RS does not indicate in his timeline that he went into Olympia or to the Williams' house. Where was he between the time he called her grandparents from her step dads phone and midnight:

"We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her.

I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok.

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back."

. . .

I too wonder if RS contacted the Williams' that night saying my gf was at your house and used your phone and she has still not turned up. I would have been at their home in a heart beat. It seems logical that is what someone would do in that situation.

RS does not indicate in his timeline that he went into Olympia or to the Williams' house. Where was he between the time he called her grandparents from her step dads phone and midnight:

"We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her.

I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok.

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back."

Snipped and bolded by SMK: I think this is a fair question, a legitimate question, all things considered ( a dead child, a probably dead young woman). I just cannot see letting a question like this slide, it would seem false to me.

So my question is --when exactly did RS call police to report a missing person? At 9'ish he called to inquire about accidents - but no other mention of LE until the part where he says he spent about 6 hours on location talking to detectives and left there about 5:30 pm. So that would mean he got to the beach around 11:30 am. The fact that he says they got a few hours sleep says to me either 1) this wasn't all that unusual for Shantina to not show up, or 2) well I don't know.... it's strange.

Does anyone know if he talked personally to the Williams? And if so, when? Does anyone have a link?

We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her.

This is purely speculation on my part. What if this area was visited on the other recent Castle Rock visit. What if the purpose in that trip was to work out the plan. Where to leave the van, where to leave evidence in the direction of the current. But the problem is it didn't fool anybody that the items just washed there. What does she want found? The half empty wine bottle for sure, one of her shoes ( which she had already removed in anticipation when visiting the Williams), a man's shoe, items belonging to her son like his inhaler and the balls. But, she overdid it. She lumped the items too close together too far above the highwater mark that tipped investigators that they did not simply wash out of the van to the spot. This may have been to buy insurance just in case investigators did not believe they simply washed away and drowned when the van got stuck. The man's shoe, if it doesn't belong to RS, then it could have been bought at a thrift store to throw in a possibility that they had been abducted. But, that doesn't work for real. I don't think there were ANY strangers involved unknown to Shantina. I think she knew whoever met her that night.

I am not sure if the meth/crack pipe(s) found in the glovebox are real evidence that she was into those drugs or purchased as a prop, like the wine, to further sway any investigators that she was under the influence at the time. But, I would speculate that she was stone cold sober throughout. I think she planned to get rid of Az because of the influence of someone, not something. I think she planned her disappearance. If this sounds elaborate, then think of the consequences to getting caught. Every time I read something more about this case, it is the only conclusion I can draw from the facts.

I think the reason she was barefoot and crying somewhat is because she had already been to the spot before meeting with whoever. I think she wanted one last call to her grandparents and was upset about what she was about to do. She should have changed her mind and kept on going. But she didn't. I hope the investigators watched the whole tape to see if she had been down that road earlier than her first visit and her second bypass at around 10:10.

This is purely speculation on my part. What if this area was visited on the other recent Castle Rock visit. What if the purpose in that trip was to work out the plan. Where to leave the van, where to leave evidence in the direction of the current. But the problem is it didn't fool anybody that the items just washed there. What does she want found? The half empty wine bottle for sure, one of her shoes ( which she had already removed in anticipation when visiting the Williams), a man's shoe, items belonging to her son like his inhaler and the balls. But, she overdid it. She lumped the items too close together too far above the highwater mark that tipped investigators that they did not simply wash out of the van to the spot. This may have been to buy insurance just in case investigators did not believe they simply washed away and drowned when the van got stuck. The man's shoe, if it doesn't belong to RS, then it could have been bought at a thrift store to throw in a possibility that they had been abducted. But, that doesn't work for real. I don't think there were ANY strangers involved unknown to Shantina. I think she knew whoever met her that night.

I am not sure if the meth/crack pipe(s) found in the glovebox are real evidence that she was into those drugs or purchased as a prop, like the wine, to further sway any investigators that she was under the influence at the time. But, I would speculate that she was stone cold sober throughout. I think she planned to get rid of Az because of the influence of someone, not something. I think she planned her disappearance. If this sounds elaborate, then think of the consequences to getting caught. Every time I read something more about this case, it is the only conclusion I can draw from the facts.

I think the reason she was barefoot and crying somewhat is because she had already been to the spot before meeting with whoever. I think she wanted one last call to her grandparents and was upset about what she was about to do. She should have changed her mind and kept on going. But she didn't. I hope the investigators watched the whole tape to see if she had been down that road earlier than her first visit and her second bypass at around 10:10.

Your theory is convincing to me. I go back and forth on what I think happened and if she is alive or dead - but I think missing person posters should be plastered all over that area. Someone may remember her being around there from her previous trip down to Castle Rock. A description of the car she drove on that trip would be helpful also. Maybe that is why she took a different vehicle this time.

I've also wondered many times if when she was asking for directions to I-5 and being shown a map, if she was really secretly looking at the map to find the place where she ended up. It really does seem like she went the opposite way each time.

I don't think the police knew at that time that she went to the Williams house at 10. Didn't they find out the next day after discovering the van and realizing Shantina and Az were missing?

<snip>

If that is how they found out, I have a BIG problem with that. I'd like to have a definitive answer as to how the police found out she was at the Williams' house.

Your theory is convincing to me. I go back and forth on what I think happened and if she is alive or dead - but I think missing person posters should be plastered all over that area. Someone may remember her being around there from her previous trip down to Castle Rock. A description of the car she drove on that trip would be helpful also. Maybe that is why she took a different vehicle this time.

I am thinking now about the pier again. I think this would be where the person she met with drove to await her. So when she placed the items she wanted to make sure were found. I think the balls were to give the idea of these having floated there. She went on toward's the rendezvous point. I think the man lead Az out onto the pier and that is where he entered the water. I hope that investigators dove around the area there for loose items. Perhaps his glasses. Ugh. Then I think they drove back and for some reason could not give a signal knock at the house at the top of the stairs to link to the items that would be found later. They looked at the next closest house and it was for sale and empty. The next house to "knock" at to link to the the items that would be found is the Grimmer's. Then they drove away to someplace??? Yes. It is very surprising that missing photos were not posted in the area. They were successful in the initial plan of confusion over drowning. Even though the posters were made with the wrong description for Az, they could have been much wider posted in the area.

Right now I am wondering how much investigation has been done on the man's shoe. It has scarcely been mentioned, yet it is a vital clue. I wonder if the dogs were able to scent it at all. It may have belonged to someone involved or it could have been another prop.

So my question is --when exactly did RS call police to report a missing person? At 9'ish he called to inquire about accidents - but no other mention of LE until the part where he says he spent about 6 hours on location talking to detectives and left there about 5:30 pm. So that would mean he got to the beach around 11:30 am. The fact that he says they got a few hours sleep says to me either 1) this wasn't all that unusual for Shantina to not show up, or 2) well I don't know.... it's strange.

Does anyone know if he talked personally to the Williams? And if so, when? Does anyone have a link?

We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her.

I've been asking all along when he reported her missing. It would seem from his post that the police knew of it as early as that morning.

We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff&#8217;s office. The had found the Van.

The fact that he says they got a few hours sleep says to me either 1) this wasn't all that unusual for Shantina to not show up, or 2) well I don't know.... it's strange.

He said in more than one interview that it wasn't like her to do this, she was one who would keep in contact and tell people if she was going to be late, etc.

If that is how they found out, I have a BIG problem with that. I'd like to have a definitive answer as to how the police found out she was at the Williams' house.

Maybe she told her GP where she was calling from and caller ID showed the number.

I am thinking now about the pier again. I think this would be where the person she met with drove to await her. So when she placed the items she wanted to make sure were found. I think the balls were to give the idea of these having floated there. She went on toward's the rendezvous point. I think the man lead Az out onto the pier and that is where he entered the water. I hope that investigators dove around the area there for loose items. Perhaps his glasses. Ugh. Then I think they drove back and for some reason could not give a signal knock at the house at the top of the stairs to link to the items that would be found later. They looked at the next closest house and it was for sale and empty. The next house to "knock" at to link to the the items that would be found is the Grimmer's. Then they drove away to someplace??? Yes. It is very surprising that missing photos were not posted in the area. They were successful in the initial plan of confusion over drowning. Even though the posters were made with the wrong description for Az, they could have been much wider posted in the area.

Right now I am wondering how much investigation has been done on the man's shoe. It has scarcely been mentioned, yet it is a vital clue. I wonder if the dogs were able to scent it at all. It may have belonged to someone involved or it could have been another prop.

If you look at the photo, the man's shoe is tied tightly, and clean compared to the other items (you can see sand and silt on the woman's shoe and inhaler, for example). I don't think it's a new shoe (but of course it could be). It's hard to say for certain, but the heel looks a little worn down on the outside, like the wearer is someone who walks/stands with their feet and ankles flexed inward a bit.

I find this scenario to be very plausible -- I think everything that happened that evening was staged. I also wonder why Robb didn't go to the Williams. I also do not believe that he was suppose to be on that trip. In searching through Shantina's FB friends and going through posts to that time period and prior to that time period -- I do not see any interaction between her and all the friends that have claimed to be her friends either, which in my opinion seems odd. I think her life revolved solely around Robb's wishes and she got fed up and took off. Sadly, her child suffered, and I still would like to believe that an accident took place. Unfortunately, the more I study this case the more I believe it was intentional. And, darnit, I want more answers from the LE!

I find this scenario to be very plausible -- I think everything that happened that evening was staged. I also wonder why Robb didn't go to the Williams. I also do not believe that he was suppose to be on that trip. In searching through Shantina's FB friends and going through posts to that time period and prior to that time period -- I do not see any interaction between her and all the friends that have claimed to be her friends either, which in my opinion seems odd. I think her life revolved solely around Robb's wishes and she got fed up and took off. Sadly, her child suffered, and I still would like to believe that an accident took place. Unfortunately, the more I study this case the more I believe it was intentional. And, darnit, I want more answers from the LE!
I think something was staged, but I cannot figure out all the logistics, and I agree, it would be nice to hear more from LE. They surely MUST be working on all these things, must have noticed them all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member