WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

Wonder how he found out. Bottles of beer/wine hidden in the house? :(

I wonder if she wasn't drinking, but maybe displaying some of the same behavior that she was displaying on Sat night which made him think she was drinking? MOO

If she had been in contact with someone (to run away with), wouldn’t they know from her phone, internet records? If she ran away with someone, it would have to be with someone she trusted….someone she’s known for quite some time. There would be some sort of evidence that she was in contact with them, whether it be her cell phone or Facebook?

Yep. The carriers and FB keep track of this data, and routinely get subpeonas on this data. Since an earlier article (before Az was found) said that they were searching through bank records, I'm guessing they also looked at her FB account.
I was wondering, because the water was so cold if something happened close to the beach, would it would have prevented any bruises he may have received in a struggle from developing? Possibly anything under his nails could have been washed away? Any serious injury would have been obvious, but maybe lighter superficial wounds would have gone unnoticed. I have no idea how that would work but I have thought about it...

The Forensics Pathology book I have talks a bit about this. There are various ways they can tell if there was a struggle. I won't quote the material because I believe it is TOS, but it is a good book. It's called "Forensic Pathology" by Vincent and Dominick DiMaio.

Did she have their phone numbers with? I know when my friends and I were her age we must have 15 or 2o numbers memorized; this generation - not so much; as Mark Fuhrman (SP?) said, this generation - leaving their phone at home is like leaving their kidney at home (or something like that..)

It's funny, any number that I had to remember before I got my cell phone, I remember - my parents number, my GF's number. Anything after that, I have no idea what it is. It's all in the phone.

And here's a VERY good point: <<After all, it's a well known fact that she grew up in the Puget Sound area - therefore, IMO, she would have knowledge of the highs & lows of the tides>>.

Maybe... I grew up on the ocean, and even went fishing. I'd only know the tides by looking at the newspaper :)

I wonder if she wasn't drinking, but maybe displaying some of the same behavior that she was displaying on Sat night which made him think she was drinking? MOO

One other thought - he may have had no idea until he saw the tape of her buying the wine. Recovering alcoholics in my experience generally don't even buy alcohol for others. As soon as he saw it, he may have looked back at how she acted and realized she had relapsed the previous week.

One of the weird things to me is - that SS left home to go away for the weekend & "forgot" her cell phone.

ETA: In this day & age, I don't know anyone who leaves home & goes on a road trip without double-checking to make sure they have their phone, just in case they have an accident or need to call someone.

Maybe... I grew up on the ocean, and even went fishing. I'd only know the tides by looking at the newspaper :)

sbm

The fact that you "grew up on the ocean" led you to check the tides before heading out on your fishing trips - right? You were aware there were high & low tides?

My point being - people who grow up near the ocean (as Shantina did) are aware of tides. People who grow up near the ocean are aware that tides have highs & lows.

ETA: IMO, it's not necessary to know the exact tide tables in order to have knowledge that tides ebb & flow.

The quote is from the video at the link, not from the text of the article.

The one about drinking is in the video. The one about looking on the internet and determining he had cancer is nowhere in the video or the article, nor anything like that. The article states only that RS had health concerns and feared that he might have cancer. The video has nothing about the internet or cancer.

Rumor is information that is untrue and/or unsupported by a source that WS considers to be credible. Stating that posted rumor is not rumor is also rumor. It is against WS guidelines to post rumor. Please don't post it. Be mindful to mark personal opinion as such.

The one about drinking is in the video. The one about looking on the internet and determining he had cancer is nowhere in the video or the article, nor anything like that. The article states only that RS had health concerns and feared that he might have cancer. The video has nothing about the internet or cancer.

Rumor is information that is untrue and/or unsupported by a source that WS considers to be credible. Stating that posted rumor is not rumor is also rumor. It is against WS guidelines to post rumor. Please don't post it. Be mindful to mark personal opinion as such.

In this video of GMC he does discuss looking up his health concerns on the internet and worrying that they might be serious.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/shantina-smiley-suffered-alcoholic-replase-fiance/story?id=10122149

it is at about the 3:58 - 4:05 point

sbm

The fact that you "grew up on the ocean" led you to check the tides before heading out on your fishing trips - right? You were aware there were high & low tides?

My point being - people who grow up near the ocean (as Shantina did) are aware of tides. People who grow up near the ocean are aware that tides have highs & lows.

ETA: IMO, it's not necessary to know the exact tide tables in order to have knowledge that tides ebb & flow.

I think my dad checked more than I did :crazy:

But yes, I was aware of tides, but isn't everyone? That's basic science, we learned about tides in school.

Yes, the statement about drinking that PaulR questioned ("I didn't see her drink, but I knew she was drinking") was what I was letting posters know was in the video.

Do you think you have me mixed up with someone else--I don't think I posted anything about RS and the cancer scare; or did I? I apologize if I did something wrong, but I don't know what I did! (confused...)

I believe that SMK is trying to point out the inconsistencies in RS story. There is another inconsistency: April6, 2010, RS posted that the media liked to chop up his words for drama saying that he has cancer! Well in every news interview with him HE was the one saying he had cancer. Now -- I do not think that RS did anything to her but I do believe there is far more to the story than what he has shared. And, there could be a very good explanation for that also -- The LE may have instructed him to keep his mouth shut and are holding some valuable information close to their vests. JMO :)

First, I don't recall him saying he had cancer -- I thought his comment was always that she was "concerned" about his health. Please link to an article/etc. if I am wrong -- I might be...but I don't recall HIM saying that (as in, a quote).

Also, what may seem like "inconsistencies" could simply be a person does not pay attention to times, etc. when things are happening (because we don't ever expect to need to go back to LE and explain our whereabouts. He could have been "trying to hard" to account for every moment (knowing full well he'd be in the first rung of suspects). But, if I try to remember phone calls and times, etc. from just last night -- I can't. It's very difficult to go back and feel like you have to account for yourself and your movements.

I don't believe RS is involved. So far, I don't see a motive. In all the videos, she seems relaxed -- not fearful; we didn't hear she seemed "upset" until she went to the house of the elderly couple.

One of the weird things to me is - that SS left home to go away for the weekend & "forgot" her cell phone.

ETA: In this day & age, I don't know anyone who leaves home & goes on a road trip without double-checking to make sure they have their phone, just in case they have an accident or need to call someone.

While SS forgetting her phone may sound strange to you, I am one who could be an example of how that can happen. I've done it all too often, unfortunately.

I don't use my phone all that much, and its customary place is in my purse, since if I go out, I always take my purse.

Now, my phone can go easily over a week or so without re-charging it. So, I'll have it out of the purse, charging up, wanting it to be fully charged before hitting the road. Even if I have it on my list of Things to Bring Along, I can still miss it. I'll look at the phone, see that it's still charging, and wait for the last minute---then end up forgetting it, altogether, as I busy myself with other trip details!

I've forgotten it enough times that I have started the habit of attaching a note to my purse ("Phone!") right after I plug it in for charging so I'll remember to get it before heading out.

Granted, I could be against the norm nowadays. I will bet my teen kids would never forget their phones!

While SS forgetting her phone may sound strange to you, I am one who could be an example of how that can happen. I've done it all too often, unfortunately.

I don't use my phone all that much, and its customary place is in my purse, since if I go out, I always take my purse.

Now, my phone can go easily over a week or so without re-charging it. So, I'll have it out of the purse, charging up, wanting it to be fully charged before hitting the road. Even if I have it on my list of Things to Bring Along, I can still miss it. I'll look at the phone, see that it's still charging, and wait for the last minute---then end up forgetting it, altogether, as I busy myself with other trip details!

I've forgotten it enough times that I have started the habit of attaching a note to my purse ("Phone!") right after I plug it in for charging so I'll remember to get it before heading out.

Granted, I could be against the norm nowadays. I will bet my teen kids would never forget their phones!

I leave without my phone all the time! I once missed a call about a new job because I'd left my phone at home on the counter!!!

Can someone verify a piece of information that has me confused: is it the case that SHE left her phone at home and HE left his charger? Is that what happened? or are chargers/cell phones becoming confused in the information?

I leave without my phone all the time! I once missed a call about a new job because I'd left my phone at home on the counter!!!

Can someone verify a piece of information that has me confused: is it the case that SHE left her phone at home and HE left his charger? Is that what happened? or are chargers/cell phones becoming confused in the information?
Yes, She left her phone. He left his charger. She called him from a payphone on his cell (which was on its way to dying) and when she did so, she asked him to grab her phone. He informed her he was already on the road so could not grab it for her.
So she didn't have her cell phone at all, he didn't have a working phone after a certain point in the timeline. I believe this is why there is so much confusion now about why certain people(Grandparents) were contacted and not others. Well, in this day and age a lot of folks keep their cells like a phone book. I can safely say if I left mine behind, I would be very challenged pull a number from my memory.
Just my two extra cents!

I think you have it right. At least, that's my recollection of the events.

To reiterate, my understanding is that SS had left her cell phone at home. RS had his phone with him, but it was initially very low on battery power, then I believe it finally lost all power some time that fateful Sat. evening. RS had asked SS to grab his charger and bring it with her (in the 4:15 call she made to him) and we presume that she did, so that his charger was in the van.

*Edit: Oops, Brandi, you must have posted as I was still typing. Guess I lived up to my name (slowpoke) there! :D*

First, I don't recall him saying he had cancer -- I thought his comment was always that she was "concerned" about his health. Please link to an article/etc. if I am wrong -- I might be...but I don't recall HIM saying that (as in, a quote).

Also, what may seem like "inconsistencies" could simply be a person does not pay attention to times, etc. when things are happening (because we don't ever expect to need to go back to LE and explain our whereabouts. He could have been "trying to hard" to account for every moment (knowing full well he'd be in the first rung of suspects). But, if I try to remember phone calls and times, etc. from just last night -- I can't. It's very difficult to go back and feel like you have to account for yourself and your movements.

I don't believe RS is involved. So far, I don't see a motive. In all the videos, she seems relaxed -- not fearful; we didn't hear she seemed "upset" until she went to the house of the elderly couple.

In this video: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/missing-moms-final-hours-puzzle-police-10122485 he commented on his health issues and researching them on the internet. He said it goes from trivial to serious and "I might have a certain amount of time left." He does not say anything about cancer in this video. I thought I had read or seen it somewhere, but don't have the time to search for it right now. In almost all the interviews regarding why she might relapse, he did comment on his potential serious health issue. I apologize if I said something wrong. :)

Yes, the statement about drinking that PaulR questioned ("I didn't see her drink, but I knew she was drinking") was what I was letting posters know was in the video.

Do you think you have me mixed up with someone else--I don't think I posted anything about RS and the cancer scare; or did I? I apologize if I did something wrong, but I don't know what I did! (confused...)

I quoted the post. I didn't even look to see who it was, so I couldn't possibly have gotten anyone mixed up. So far as I know, the quote function in the software is functioning just fine.

You posted that something was in the video that was not. That is why I quoted your post in the first place.

You know, the more I think, the more this is the kicker for me. And the stop at the Williams....a last ditch call before she planned to either run away or end it all. As if she needed to hear someones voice one last time...to maybe say something, but then she chickened out. It would definitely explain her "nervousness" as explained by the Williams'.

I have been reading about Shantina since this has happened. I think what gets me, is the location where they found the van. I would wonder how one could end up taking this road down to the beach unless given direction? Or was it merely by chance? Just can't seem to grasp that someone would go down a unknown road, especially that one.

Good morning.
I don't buy that she plan to kill her self. I don't buy her being so depressed about boyfriend thinking he might have cancer. You go to a doctor and find out what is wrong, You don't just go kill your self and you son. I don't buy the fact that she could have found that tiny steep road on a pitch black night. The amount of time she supposedly drove around Olympia is ridiculous. I do not believe that happened. She could have driven clear to the Oregon border in that time. I don't know what happened to her but I suspect we are not getting the whole story from the boy friend. As far as forgetting your cell phone, the first thing you do when you get in your car is check for the Cell phone especially if you are going on a trip. Was the Williams house easy to see from the road, how did she see that house? I thought I read some where it was not that easy to find and why stop at a house, why not another store? Just my thoughts and Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member