WA WA - Sky Metalwala, 2, Bellevue, 6 Nov 2011 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the FB and Flickr photos, and don't understand why some peeps think she is obsessed with her daughter, based on the photos? :confused:

Me either. The children look well taken care of. The Dad said she didn't keep food in the house yet most of the pics show them eating or bowls of fruit and such.

I don't see this as a Hague case. No way. To my knowledge there is only 1 successful Hague petition of an american family been granted asylum due to domestic violence. That would be the holly collins case. You can google the documentary " no way out but one" to learn more about that case and see just how difficult it is to get asylum.

Also although there is much talk about underground networks they are almost non existent in today's day and age. It's about as likely as alien abduction in my opinion.

I meant children illegally abducted out of the US and utilizing Hague to bring them home.

Here in Utah a few years ago, a father took his toddler son with him hunting. The child was left in the truck sleeping while the father walked over to a ridge to hunt. When the father returned to the truck, the toddler was gone.

There were obvious signs that the story was true since there were footprints matching the toddler walking away from the truck. I believe the toddler even removed his buckle on the seat belt to get out of his carseat. A search ensued, and the toddler was eventually found dead. He had died of exposure because it was very cold in the Utah Mountains. I cannot remember how many days it took to find him.

The father was charged and convicted with leaving the child unattended in the truck, but he was not charged as if he actually hurt the child. However, this father's mental sentencing was way worse than the court sentencing. He toook his own life after a year or two. He couldn't stand the pain of knowing that he caused his childs demise.

The lack of emotion and pleas from the mother give me reason to believe that her story is NOT true. Whether she is hiding the child, or if he died of other means, I just do NOT believe that this child walked away from her car. Too many holes in her story! JMHO and all that jazz.

Not sure if this was posted:

Foul play suspected in case of missing Wash. boy

BELLEVUE, Wash. (AP) — Police in Washington state said Tuesday they suspect a crime in the disappearance of a 2-year-old boy whose mother claimed he disappeared when she left him alone in a car for an hour last weekend.

"Given the limited amount of information we have, the fact that there's really no solid leads to follow up on in regard to where he might be — absolutely, we suspect foul play," Bellevue Police Maj. Mike Johnson told KING-TV.

Johnson did not immediately return a call or email from The Associated Press.

The boy's mother, Julie Biryukova, reported that her car ran out of gas Sunday morning in Bellevue, a city of 122,000 across Lake Washington from Seattle, police said. She told investigators she left Sky in the unlocked vehicle and walked with her 4-year-old daughter about a mile to a gas station. When she returned to the car, Sky was gone, she said

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...of-missing-Wash-boy-2256225.php#ixzz1d8lLjulC

I thought so too, until I spent a few hours on Google. These networks appear to be alive and well.

Look again. If you are talking about Janet Yeager that ship sailed a long time ago. I have had the privilege to get to know many wonderful protective mothers who spent many desperate years looking for ANY way to save their children. I am not saying its impossible but pretty close.

I meant children illegally abducted out of the US and utilizing Hague to bring them home.

Ah yes. That is altogether different and much more common. Forgive me for misunderstanding.

Russia is not listed as one of the countries participating in the Hague convention. (in regards to international child abduction)

As of August 2007, the Convention applied between Canada and the following countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, the Bahamas, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Chile, China (Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Regions only), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark (except the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France (for the whole of the territory of the French Republic), Georgia, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Macedonia (known as Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia in UN and other international bodies), Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including Isle of Man, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Montserrat, Bermuda), the United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/child-abductions_enlevements-enfants-eng.asp#3

if there was no gas can at the car and it started easily... why is this woman not in jail yet?? The second I heard this story I just shuddered, knowing it is another sick woman who is trying to cover up something awful. :banghead:

Not necessarily. IMO mom may believe daughter being in state custody is better than being with dad. Especially if she believes there is a chance someone in her family will 'win' custody via court.

As someone else posted, I too believe it is possible she scooted the boy off to the Ukraine. Where is gitana1? She is much better at knowing the Hauge countries with regards to international parental abduction. Any thoughts gitana? tia

jmo
Not an attorney but am familiar with IPA and the Hague. Ukraine is a member, fwiw, but I just don't think its likely.

IMO if either parent were a 'flight risk' meaning had strong ties to a foreign country, or extended families willing and able to secret a child out of the US I believe preventative measures would have been explored. JMO

CPIAP could have been utilised or the courts could have restricted travel on the child(ren) if that was a legitimate concern. I went through this in reverse - getting permission to move my children abroad from the courts - so had to do a ton of research into the procedural aspects involved with custody and international travel.

http://travel.state.gov/abduction/resources/congressreport/congressreport_1487.html
http://www.justice.gov/criminal/ceos/ipk.html
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/215476.pdf
http://travel.state.gov/abduction/solutions/hagueconvention/hagueconvention_3854.html

Yet, the Mom was given custody of the children instead of the Dad. And, the daughter is now in foster care instead of being with the Dad??

Guys, it may take awhile for social services to clear a family member or other parent before custody is given to them. I see this happen a lot (my whole family works in social services down here and I see this in my practice). Sometimes they clear a family member or other parent right away. But sometimes they necessitate a hearing first.

The father has not seen his kids in a year. I believe that is because she made allegations, there may have been a restraining order and the kids acted as if they did not want to go with him. So, CPS needs to weed through that mess first. Not relinquishing the kids to him does not mean, IMO, that he is suspected at all of anything.

And yet this father did nothing to protect his children? Did he not believe her? He hasn't seen the children since December, why not? It sounds like he had the upper hand in the divorce, maybe he didn't want the children full time.

He clearly did not have the upper hand in the divorce. She was awarded sole custody in January and obtained restraining orders against him, although he apparently got one against her earlier.

Resnick initiated the first known classification system for motives of filicide about 40 years ago. The rarest and most unpredictable is revenge. (More common in paternal than maternal filicide, imo, but certainly not impossible.)

Resnick concluded mothers are most often responsible when a child under the age of 12 is murdered however (according to more recent statistical data) fathers tip the scales as children age. To clarify: Mothers and fathers are about equally culpable 53-47% across all filicides but the younger/older the victims the more those statistics vary. Mothers are more likely to kill younger children while fathers older. Boys are slightly more at risk of filicide than girls - under ones are most vulnerable but the 2nd highest category of filicide lands at the under 4s.

Psychotic filicides of only one child while allowing siblings to live are almost unheard of. I think it important to realise that while the mother in this case may be mentally ill it may well not rise to the level of a psychotic filicide...think of comparing Andrea Yates to Susan Smith. They should not be compared even though they committed the same act, kwim? When a psychotic mother kills her children she most often kills them all. Non-psychotic mothers, however, whom are not killing to benefit themselves are able to isolate a sole victim (based on research by Hatters Friedman). It could be a characteristic of another of Resnick's categories as well - the unwanted child.

Of 131 cases Resnick studied 14% were classed under 'unwanted child' and 4% under 'revenge'. He also found depression in 71% of the cases he reviewed.

There hasn't been enough research into possible precursors of filicides but there has been a lot of research done relatively recently by forensic psychiatrist Susan Hatters Friedman - several papers she's authored are available online. She is a great resource for learning more.

I also have about a gazillion links if anyone needs them. I hope they find this little cutie, preferably safe and alive...but if Mom is guilty of filicide I pray LE find him and have enough to convict her.

Great, informative post! Thank you.

Concerning the question of what happens when someone marries in order to gain US citizenship and then gets a divorce, I can't really answer. But, even illegals who enter the US and have natural born children while in the US, are granted citizenship since their children are Americans by birth.

Hi friend! I love you but I must point out that this is absolutely, unequivocally untrue. People whose kids were born here get deported all the time, every day, every hour and often, their minor children go with them.

Could be, but I'm going to allow her some slack because all the "trouble" began shortly after he was born.

Sept. '09 Sky born.
Dec. '09 He was left in the car at Target
Mar. '10 She was in a mental hospital
Jun. '10 She filed for divorce.

Seems she's been hospitalized 3x's for mental issues, but I can't find the dates. Nor when she moved out of the home. Mental issues including a straining divorce.... I really don't think taking pictures would be her first priority in the last year, imo.

There were a gazillion photos taken during that time period.

Her daughter is naked in a bath tub in quite a few of those photos. I'd say those are not appropriate photos to put in a public domain. But we are talking about the woman who left her child in a car while she went shopping, and now claims she left him alone in the car again when her car run out of gas. So what else is new?

As a person of European descent (born in the good ol' U.S. of A.), I have no problems with photos of kids in the bath. I just think it's stupid to publish them, or any pictures of one's kids in a manner that can allow someone to possibly identify them. Scary.

I don't like that we haven't seen Mom at all. Even if she's in with the PoPo...she has the right to leave at any time and should step out in front of a camera and plead for her kid...that's very telling :(

But why would anyone, if their kid turned up missing, stop lengthy interviews and say, "Ya' know what? I know we are trying to find my missing two year old but I really need to stop talking to you so the public can see me." Whether she harmed Sky or not, these first few days are intense, with the police.

**In regards to questions about why the mother may have ended up getting full custody, and the father only visitation;

In my experience (with friends and family members who have gone through divorce and custody battles) - when joint custody is granted, neither parent has to pay child support because they generally both physically care for the children an equal amount of time.
Oftentimes, fathers may WANT joint custody, but end up having to settle on visitation only because they can't stay home during the day with the children. If they have to work full-time, and especially if they have unconventional hours, its very difficult to arrange childcare. Sometimes, fathers don't want their children to be sent to daycare. And sometimes, its simply too overwhelming for fathers to suddenly be responsible for their children 85% of the time (15% time spent visiting mothers). In this case, the mother has obviously stayed home with the children since they were born, and the father has worked. The father might have no idea how to parent full-time without the mother.
In addition, she has listed only a high school education on her fb page. If she hasn't had any college education and very little work experience, its likely that she may not be able to support herself and the children if they were to have joint custody. By having full custody, the father pays child support which will support her and the children.

The support scenario you have stated is very rare in any state in the U.S. and is not the case in Washington state. Regardless of whether the parents have equal custody, if one earns slightly more than another, then there will very likely be a support order in favor of the parent earning less.
But your other information is on target, IMO.

If she decided to hide a live child because father got visitation rights, why only hide one child? She is clearly attached to her daughter, yet only the son is missing. So that makes me really doubt that this child is kept by someone in live state to hide him from dad.

Exactly.

She is not an "European mother" she has come to US as a child.

I think she came here at 12. That's a European mom for sure, in my experience.

Or he hopes she wouldn't.

BBM - Not necessarily. I have a good friend who is an amazing father and has been in a custody battle with his very unstable ex for over a year. She has done many things which any normal person would realize are emotionally harmful to her child, including one incident of completely losing it in front of a sheriff's deputy. You would think that he could easily get custody of his son but it is VERY difficult to prove a parent is unfit and change the status quo regarding custody. This "mother" that I know will continue to have primary custody until they have completely finalized any new arrangement with the court which could be another year.

Yup.

For the dad to be involved:

- the mom had to leave this child AGAIN (not likely after getting caught before, etc)
- the dad had to somehow drain gas or cut the gas line (without being detected)
- the dad had to follow mom (without being detected)
- the dad had to somehow believe the mom would leave one or both children behind
- the dad had to take the child unnoticed

I'm just not buying that all those pieces fell together. I don't think he's involved.

Add to that that he would have to know she had no cell phone or no service!

Not necessarily. IMO mom may believe daughter being in state custody is better than being with dad. Especially if she believes there is a chance someone in her family will 'win' custody via court.

As someone else posted, I too believe it is possible she scooted the boy off to the Ukraine. Where is gitana1? She is much better at knowing the Hauge countries with regards to international parental abduction. Any thoughts gitana? tia

jmo

The Ukraine just became a signatory to the Hague convention in 2007. So not much time to see whether they have a good track record of adhering to it. other countries who are signatories, like Germany and Italy, have abysmal track records.

Pakistan is not a signatory and there is a serious problem there with international child abductions. Dad being a Christian, though, he would be unlikely to want to go back. It is not a good climate for Christians there at the moment. Also, I just don't think Dad plays a part in this at all.

Not an attorney but am familiar with IPA and the Hague. Ukraine is a member, fwiw, but I just don't think its likely.

IMO if either parent were a 'flight risk' meaning had strong ties to a foreign country, or extended families willing and able to secret a child out of the US I believe preventative measures would have been explored. JMO

CPIAP could have been utilised or the courts could have restricted travel on the child(ren) if that was a legitimate concern. I went through this in reverse - getting permission to move my children abroad from the courts - so had to do a ton of research into the procedural aspects involved with custody and international travel.

http://travel.state.gov/abduction/resources/congressreport/congressreport_1487.html
http://www.justice.gov/criminal/ceos/ipk.html
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/215476.pdf
http://travel.state.gov/abduction/solutions/hagueconvention/hagueconvention_3854.html

I agree with this, and I agree it is probably a slim chance she scooted the boy off. I still believe it is remotely possible, if she had been planning in advance in the event the custody agreement did not go her way.

Reason being, (and I am only speaking from a never married single parent POV. Visitation was granted via mediation and I still have sole physical and legal custody by way of default being a never married parent.)

That said, MSM has only mentioned the parents came to an agreement via mediation. Nothing has been stated the agreement has gone before a judge and signed as the 'official' court ordered 'permanent' custodial agreement with regards to the divorce. It's my understanding nothing is set in stone with regards to custody and visitation until signed by a judge. that's what still leaves me some 'hope' the boy is hidden and still safe.

Mom not pleading for her sons safe return and declining a poly leads me to believe she knows exactly where Sky is, and is comfortable with where he is at whether the outcome good or bad.

With regards to moms brothers description of her tears, imo, they can simply be stress or emotional related tears based on her decision to hide/disappear/harm Sky. I don't buy they are in regards to her not knowing his location.

all jmo.

Bingo! Even if somehow one of the family members took the child without her consent, her gas story and throwing LE off of the true place that the child was last seen makes her an accomplice after the fact at the very least. Makes no sense.

Unless she was heavily threaten by him or his family. I think this goes back to the mediation, tbh. They compromised. Was the father really pushing for custody? Stated she was a danger for her children to be around? She gave in to him having even visitation...which she didn't want. Why? Control, abuse or just being a B?

Because he likely knows where the child is. You know, now that I think more about this... I think the dad also knows she hid Sky...

Why not hide the daughter? In the tapes, court docs and via photos it is clear the dad wanted his daughter as much as his son. It is also clear she adores her daughter. If he wanted to punish her, he would want both kids. Yet she hid only Sky?

I agree, but he sure has set up her character.

Yes, it is very common for abusers to accuse the other party of being "crazy". But mom WAS hospitalized three times according to reports, she was diagnosed with OCD and her baby son went missing in her care, with her admitting that she left him alone the car for an hour. I'm guessing dad, who may have his own problems, was probably also right about mom to some degree.

I don't see this as a Hague case. No way. To my knowledge there is only 1 successful Hague petition of an american family been granted asylum due to domestic violence. That would be the holly collins case. You can google the documentary " no way out but one" to learn more about that case and see just how difficult it is to get asylum.

Also although there is much talk about underground networks they are almost non existent in today's day and age. It's about as likely as alien abduction in my opinion.

I agree. She took one child and states she left the other. If one child is hidden, the other is now in foster care and dad will have a much better ability to gain custody of her than he had in the past, which mom surely knew, being heavily involved in the court system for over a year. In reality, I think she killed her STBX's mini me.

if there was no gas can at the car and it started easily... why is this woman not in jail yet?? The second I heard this story I just shuddered, knowing it is another sick woman who is trying to cover up something awful. :banghead:

It's not that simple. LE has acknowledged that sometimes they can't replicate car trouble that really did happen - and I know from experience that a car that stalls from lack of gas can start up again once the engine has cooled and the gas has repooled.

We don't know why she didn't have a gas can, but since her friend drove her back to her car, it's possible her plan was to pick up Sky and then pursue getting a gas can and refueling her car.

Not that I think that's the most likely scenario.

OCD behaviors are very person-specific. She may not have "checking" behaviors (making sure the door is locked, the stove is off, the baby is strapped in, etc). She may have other expressions of OCD like extreme cleanliness, worried thoughts, fear of germs, counting/sorting/organizing items, etc.
'

I understand,and I agree with you about OCD symptoms, but why would an OCD mother (or ANY mother) leave her two-year-old in an UNLOCKED car for up to two hours alone? What, you are afraid of dirt and germs but not what will LIKELY happen to your unattended toddler? Give me a break!

I agree. She took one child and states she left the other. If one child is hidden, the other is now in foster care and dad will have a much better ability to gain custody of her than he had in the past, which mom surely knew, being heavily involved in the court system for over a year. In reality, I think she killed her STBX's mini me.

snipped from gitana1 above

THIS.

Agreed. I think she should be arrested for child endangerment. We don't know what happened to Sky yet, but she admitted leaving him unattended in an unlocked car for an hour and that is unacceptable.

A few things I wonder about:

Most people I know with toddlers pack a stroller in their car. Did she have one?

Was the car really out of gas? I have heard the police say the car started when they tried it but I have yet to hear them actually confirm that the car was out of gas. Anyone else notice that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee