WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be so difficult to pay for his DNA to be analyzed and stored on sites like Ancestry.com? I am sure it would have a hit, and one could take it from there and figure out the branch he belongs to.

Would it be so difficult to pay for his DNA to be analyzed and stored on sites like Ancestry.com? I am sure it would have a hit, and one could take it from there and figure out the branch he belongs to.

This is a really great idea. It should be done in many of these types of cases, but in this particular case - in which we can't seem to put a finger on his origins, and barely even on his accent - it might give us the biggest clue we're going to be able to find.

Many young males imo, in terms of limbs, develop hair on the legs first, then the arms.
Considering Lyle had hair on his legs, but not on his arms, might that suggest he is still a teenager?
imo.

I agree that he could be - and I think he might have still had some of his baby fat. I'd expect someone his height who weighed what they say he weighed to have a completely sunken-in face...he didn't. His facial features are so angular and well-defined, too, making it unlikely that he'd have had so much "roundness" around his cheek area even if he wasn't underweight...yeah. He absolutely might be a very young man or teenager.

I wonder what his dentals suggest, beyond showing that he'd had work done.

He definitely doesn't look like a 35 year old, regardless. His nose/jaw/chin make me think he was, at most, 24-25.

Many young males imo, in terms of limbs, develop hair on the legs first, then the arms.
Considering Lyle had hair on his legs, but not on his arms, might that suggest he is still a teenager?
imo.
This is where I was headed with my age train of thought. I married my high school sweetheart who had a pattern of hair growth similar to what we are seeing with Lyle. Where in his late teens 16-19 he had leg hair etc and it wasn't until his mid 20s the chest hair and arm hair caught up..

This pattern also seems to be repeating in our boys. Also an interesting note my husband has Cherokee Indian in him and struggles growing large amounts of facial hair especially in the cheek area.

I think it's the length of Lyles arms that lead me to the thought of young male late teens age. I have seen it before in my own child where the legs and arms appear extremely long and the chest just hasn't had time to catch up yet either.

I would love to see Lyles DNA analyzed if for nothing more than a solid origins marker. Although I still side on the American Indian heritage.

Hello All

Long time lurker here, I mostly post on the FB group or else on Reddit.
There are a lot of interesting thoughts posted on this thread, some of which I agree with.

I would love to see Lyle's DNA analyzed as well, I really think that it would help a lot.
I was browsing on various missing websites etc. and I came across this kid who went missing in 1983 from The Netherlands.
He went missing along with his brother and both were Columbian. I am not sure whether Lyle strikes me as South American, but I guess it's no harm in posting the missing child here, in case anyone wants to look into it and see whether it's a match for Lyle. What do you guys think? Look along the hairline and jawline, they are rather similar.

http://vermist.avrotros.nl/uit-het-oog/detail/vermiste/33557/

He definitely doesn't look like a 35 year old, regardless. His nose/jaw/chin make me think he was, at most, 24-25.

I totally agree, he is definitely in the age ranger of 25 or younger.

Lyle looks Hungarian to me in a lot of the pics. He looks very similar to my dad when he was younger; minus the eye brows & nose but its possible Lyle's nose was broken. Someone had mentioned Italian which could also be accurate

Even though I posted about the Columbian child who went missing, possibly being Lyle.
I see definitely a European/Eastern European heritage within him too, rather than a South American.

Hello All

Long time lurker here, I mostly post on the FB group or else on Reddit.
There are a lot of interesting thoughts posted on this thread, some of which I agree with.

I would love to see Lyle's DNA analyzed as well, I really think that it would help a lot.
I was browsing on various missing websites etc. and I came across this kid who went missing in 1983 from The Netherlands.
He went missing along with his brother and both were Columbian. I am not sure whether Lyle strikes me as South American, but I guess it's no harm in posting the missing child here, in case anyone wants to look into it and see whether it's a match for Lyle. What do you guys think? Look along the hairline and jawline, they are rather similar.

http://vermist.avrotros.nl/uit-het-oog/detail/vermiste/33557/
Welcome to Ws ArtsyOwl, thanks for the great link!

I agree that he could be - and I think he might have still had some of his baby fat. I'd expect someone his height who weighed what they say he weighed to have a completely sunken-in face...he didn't. His facial features are so angular and well-defined, too, making it unlikely that he'd have had so much "roundness" around his cheek area even if he wasn't underweight...yeah. He absolutely might be a very young man or teenager.

I wonder what his dentals suggest, beyond showing that he'd had work done.

From what I grabbed of his dental records from NAMUS before they pulled them, he had 4 teeth removed in the years before his death, two that erupted around the ages of 10-11 and the final two that come in between 16 to 25/17 to 21 (depending on the website).

Also does anyone else see what appears to be a cell phone beside the coffee maker I'm also curious as to what the small green box contains beside that.

When I went back and looked at the green box, my first thought was a box of film for the camera.

Another thing I'm wondering about, now that I've seen these photos, is if he had an eating disorder. Not as common in men, but still possible, and could be another factor in his death.

I wondered too about the eating disorder. It's a common characteristic for those who have an eating disorder to wear loose, bulky clothing to hide their body. The neatly trimmed hair also seems like a detail that someone who is conscious about their appearance would have. I'd have to look at the photos again, but I recall seeing that he had a couple cuts on his hand? Sometimes those with bulimia will have scarred knuckles from inducing vomiting.

If he was bulimic would there nit have been damage to his teeth?

Yes, you're right. The stomach acid from induce vomiting would definitely wear down the teeth. I read his file again and realized that his teeth were in near perfect shape.

When I went back and looked at the green box, my first thought was a box of film for the camera.

Another thing I'm wondering about, now that I've seen these photos, is if he had an eating disorder. Not as common in men, but still possible, and could be another factor in his death.

I waver some with the eating disorder. Only because as stated if it was a disorder that had taken place over time I think there would have been more evidence of this on his teeth and I believe I read in the past that evidence can also be found in the esophagus. Gastric contents can be extremely erosive and destroys the lining of the throat

The more I look at the photos I agree with you the green box does make me think of a film box.

I haven't formed a solid opinion yet on the weight loss. Looking at the pictures I get the impression of a child wearing his father's clothing but the style of clothing he's wearing would very much fall in line with young males style of that time period. I have wondered if the weight loss was due to him traveling for awhile and not having access to daily or proper nutrition but in that same vein of thought he obviously had access to funds so not having the money to eat doesn't settle right either.
I find the bipolar aspect interesting and plausible.

Everyone forgive me I've read through all the pages and reports for Lyle and can't remember if anything was ever said about toxicology results for him. Has this ever been released? I'm curious that if he suffered from a know mental disorder if he had possibly been on a daily regime of medications at a point in time prior to his death. However I do know if that's the case and he had been off medications for awhile it may not have shown up in a routine tox screen.

This might be weird, but I'm not sure if the clothes that were too large were really an indicator of having lost weight recently... Was there physical evidence of him having lost significant weight recently, or was that just because of the clothing sizes?

My DH buys clothes that are too large. I think he always had larger sized clothing as a kid so that he could wear it for longer as he grew (family very frugal). He also didn't know his proper size until I started buying him the right size and he was amazed that he didn't have to cinch his belt to hold the pants up... Occasionally he will still buy a pair of pants that is too large.

Weird? Yes. But it's possible it was just a quirky red herring type thing.

This might be weird, but I'm not sure if the clothes that were too large were really an indicator of having lost weight recently... Was there physical evidence of him having lost significant weight recently, or was that just because of the clothing sizes?

They believed he had been heavier due to the belt being worn more in places which indicated he had been heavier.

Isn't it possible that it wasn't always his belt, and that someone heavier than him used it frequently before it was in Lyle's possession?

One of the articles said the belt showed signs of having been buckled in successively tighter holes. I think it's mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm on the phone and it's hard to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak