WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think he particualy went out of his way to hide his identity. I think he got rid of his stuff to do that, I think he just didnt want to leave stuff for someone else to have to sort out so he just kept the things he would need for the last couple of hours.

I dont think he has been reported missing, but someones looking, or they think hes just out there and not getting in touch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Heard back from J.M.P, the woman who has compiled a list of missing and murdered Aboriginal males.
Understandably, the list is for those families of m & m, not suicides, due to family privacy concerns.
However, she has offered to look through her list and compare the males with the L.S. link sent.

Added photos to his Find A Grave profile, added his age regression and Carl's recon with added weight. Added his narrative with it. Going to try to contact the person that made his profile to see if they can add the narrative to it or transfer it to me

I'm now running Lyle's Find A Grave profile!

My first post here ever (long time lurker) and for that reason alone my opinion shouldn't hold any meaning. Still, I wonder what ever came from the Eastern European/Balkan angle. I realize the isotopes results show he wasn't raised there, but I haven't been able to let go of an Eastern European/Balkan background for Lyle. Serbian is what comes to mind specifically, maybe Bulgarian. I'm seriously wondering. I know the angle has been brought up, but even as a long time lurker it's hard to keep up with everything and what comes from certain theories. I look at pictures like this one (Serbian model), but there are several more (pictures of men from Balkan countries) that remind me of Lyle. Similar features in my opinion. I think the refugee theory has become more and more unlikely with the isotopes results, but am I right that it's not entirely impossible that he spent (most of) his childhood in the US with parents from a Balkan background, as unlikely as that might be? Long story short: have I missed anything that completely rules that theory out? I would also like to take this opportunity let you all know how much all of your involvement in this case means to a lot of people (even those long time lurkers like myself) and I really hope this case will be solved soon. Something about it is so intriguing and I feel there are so many answers to be found that could give peace to people that knew him.

His choice of name is interesting (assuming it's an alias).
Has anyone contacted Joyce Carol Oates to get her take on this case?
I would ask her if there was any significance for someone choosing Lyle over Felix? This UP's nose reminds me of a boxer (Felix), but Lyle was a salesman. I'm not saying she could identify him, but maybe shed some insight.
I should read the book to see if anything jumps out at me. I looked for a kindle edition but didn't find it so I will check out my library.

I agree - he looks somewhat ethnic; a.k.a. something other than a WASP background. The U.S. is a very ethnically diverse country, and it's quite possible that he is of Balkan descent, born and raised in the U.S. (or Canada).

My first post here ever (long time lurker) and for that reason alone my opinion shouldn't hold any meaning. Still, I wonder what ever came from the Eastern European/Balkan angle. I realize the isotopes results show he wasn't raised there, but I haven't been able to let go of an Eastern European/Balkan background for Lyle. Serbian is what comes to mind specifically, maybe Bulgarian. I'm seriously wondering. I know the angle has been brought up, but even as a long time lurker it's hard to keep up with everything and what comes from certain theories. I look at pictures like this one (Serbian model), but there are several more (pictures of men from Balkan countries) that remind me of Lyle. Similar features in my opinion. I think the refugee theory has become more and more unlikely with the isotopes results, but am I right that it's not entirely impossible that he spent (most of) his childhood in the US with parents from a Balkan background, as unlikely as that might be? Long story short: have I missed anything that completely rules that theory out? I would also like to take this opportunity let you all know how much all of your involvement in this case means to a lot of people (even those long time lurkers like myself) and I really hope this case will be solved soon. Something about it is so intriguing and I feel there are so many answers to be found that could give peace to people that knew him.

Interesting that you say Balkan. A while back, I was thinking Armenian! I can't shake the Native American/Canadian feeling though.

Eta- I can't imagine that we won't eventually ID Lyle, considering how many people are dedicated to this project. At times I feel discouraged, but logically I feel like there will be success.

I just read an article that stated that the person who manages JCO's website said they couldn't find a connection between the fictional character and this UP. None of the characters in the book actually commit suicide, they only contemplate it. Not sure if that means that person spoke to the author directly or is only stating their opinion.

Welcome to WS! There is a lot of info about what his ethnicity is believed to be on Reddit
Striking eye color on a John Doe: Seeking your insight!
striking eye color - I'm not a geneticist, but based on observation of various portraits of people around the world, but I would say his eyebrows could indicate some sort of caucasus-related ancestry: Turkic, Jewish, Greek, Armenian, Iranic south Russian, etc. Cleft chin is a characteristic common in mesolithic groups of europe, and could indicate some sort of Northern European origin. Mandible and head proportions, as well as mouth and nose, seem normal for people with ancestry from north atlantic europe, such as Ireland. Eye shape indicates mediterranean-related ancestry. Overall, I'd say he could be Irish?, perhaps with a Ashkenazi Jewish, Southern Italian, Greek, Turkish or Balkan element. Dna (autossomal, ydna and mtdna) would also help a lot, and would probabily narrow down the surname possibilites, and help identify relatives. They can get dna even from ancient samples from 30000 years ago; if someone has contact to groups that do this kind of work, it could be quite helpful.

Edit: Saw the subreddit. If there is anything else pointing toward Bosnian ancestry, it would really be a possibility

It was thought that Lyle was American Indian but there is nothing noted in his dental chart that he had shovel teeth. There is also a thread for Balkan connection

I've been spending some time looking into the Balkan angle and googling a lot of things. I didn't see this posted anywhere on the board yet, thought it might be useful.

I was trying to find a list of photos of missing Serbians for comparison and there doesn't seem to be one online. I was, however, able to find lists of names. There are several Stevics listed.

Interesting that you say Balkan. A while back, I was thinking Armenian! I can't shake the Native American/Canadian feeling though.

Eta- I can't imagine that we won't eventually ID Lyle, considering how many people are dedicated to this project. At times I feel discouraged, but logically I feel like there will be success.

There was nothing noted about him having shovel teeth

I just read an article that stated that the person who manages JCO's website said they couldn't find a connection between the fictional character and this UP. None of the characters in the book actually commit suicide, they only contemplate it. Not sure if that means that person spoke to the author directly or is only stating their opinion.

I think when ID'd, it's going to be his name

Could Lyle have been a boxer? As the Felix Stevick character in Joyce Carol Oates book.
His nose looks like previously broken. And his hands had some damage maybe from punching something. This could explain so much travel in the isotopes results.
Would any healed cranial fractures typical of boxers show up in the autopsy?

Thanks for the warm welcome and reactions! I was a little nervous about posting.

I agree that so many people are interested in this case and doing their own little research. It is encouraging and it makes me hopeful we will some day ID him. I'm sure there are also many people who (like me until yesterday) are trying to solve this case without posting here or on reddit. Lyle has so many people intrigued and determined. I just hope if we ever work this out it will be worth it and people that knew him will get some peace. I'd hate the thought of ID'ing him and coming to the conclusion that it would've been better if he we had left it alone.

It's interesting that we haven't been able to narrow it down to anything though. There are so many different theories and opinions out there and most of them make a lot of sense too. I personally will stick to my Balkan theory/connection for a while, simply because that's what caught my eye and made me think, but I agree that at the end of the day his background could be so different or maybe even one that validates all of our theories. In some ways it feels as if identifying him is closer than ever, in other ways it feels like we're so far away. The isotopes results were a huge step in the right direction though! I noticed the Norwegian connection with the name Stevik (a place in Norway, but also the country where the name Stevik is most common compared to any other country). I don't know where I stand on his name and what it could be connected to or it if could be his real one. I do by now think he was someone who was never reported missing for whatever reason and that all of us determined to give him his name really have our work cut out. It's been long enough to know it won't be easy.

There have to be people out there who knew him though. I really do believe one of you lovely people will be able to give him his name back (or perhaps confirm his name). Let's keep looking!

Thanks for the warm welcome and reactions! I was a little nervous about posting.

I agree that so many people are interested in this case and doing their own little research. It is encouraging and it makes me hopeful we will some day ID him. I'm sure there are also many people who (like me until yesterday) are trying to solve this case without posting here or on reddit. Lyle has so many people intrigued and determined. I just hope if we ever work this out it will be worth it and people that knew him will get some peace. I'd hate the thought of ID'ing him and coming to the conclusion that it would've been better if he we had left it alone.

It's interesting that we haven't been able to narrow it down to anything though. There are so many different theories and opinions out there and most of them make a lot of sense too. I personally will stick to my Balkan theory/connection for a while, simply because that's what caught my eye and made me think, but I agree that at the end of the day his background could be so different or maybe even one that validates all of our theories. In some ways it feels as if identifying him is closer than ever, in other ways it feels like we're so far away. The isotopes results were a huge step in the right direction though! I noticed the Norwegian connection with the name Stevik (a place in Norway, but also the country where the name Stevik is most common compared to any other country). I don't know where I stand on his name and what it could be connected to or it if could be his real one. I do by now think he was someone who was never reported missing for whatever reason and that all of us determined to give him his name really have our work cut out. It's been long enough to know it won't be easy.

There have to be people out there who knew him though. I really do believe one of you lovely people will be able to give him his name back (or perhaps confirm his name). Let's keep looking!

Welcome to Ws.sdj88!!

Do not be nervous about posting, i too was nervous to post initially, but as you can see, i got over it, lol!

Could Lyle have been a boxer? As the Felix Stevick character in Joyce Carol Oates book.
His nose looks like previously broken. And his hands had some damage maybe from punching something. This could explain so much travel in the isotopes results.
Would any healed cranial fractures typical of boxers show up in the autopsy?

For me personally his nose is another thing that points me in the Balkan direction. I've noticed that a lot of men from Balkan countries have a slightly crooked nose (bridge) like Lyle's. A previously broken nose makes sense, probably more than my theory, but it's just another small thing that makes me want to keep looking into the Balkan background. The 'look' I'm talking about includes the sharp jaw, cheekbones, full lips, thick eyebrows, slightly crooked nose and things like that. To be fair it's also a look I've seen in Italian men, but for some reason I feel compelled to stick with the Balkan background for now. I do agree that him being a boxer could explain the traveling and/or the hands. I unfortunately have no idea about what would or would not show up/be looked at in an autopsy.

Ugh, I feel like I'm generalizing so much. I do think people from certain places have a certain 'look' sometimes though.

Off topic, I have never seen ears attached like that.

The surname Stevik is Slovakian.

From Wikipedia's entry about Slovakian-Americans:

Most Slovaks emigrated to cities, especially to those where industries were expanding and felt the need to acquire cheap and unskilled labor. For this reason, the majority of Slovaks settled in the Eastern United States (with special attention to Pennsylvania) where more than half of them settled in milltowns and coal mining districts in the state's western region. Today, almost half of all Slovak Americans reside in Pennsylvania (233,160) and Ohio (137,343).[6] Other important areas where Slovaks settled include New Jersey, New York, and Illinois. Most Slovaks settled in places where there are already Slovaks residing. In fact, between 1908 and 1910, the percentage of Slovaks who settled in places already inhabited by family and friends was 98.4 percent.

That lines up with the isotope results.

I think I"ll start looking at Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214