Was Burke Involved? # 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very significant actually. Its an item that's location was known only by the Ramseys. It really calls in to question any idea of an intruder, and it is further evidence that Burke may have been there. Certainly the parents would not have used burke's knife in the commission of this crime, in fact quite the opposite. So ask yourself again, why was it there?

Well, you've got the grapefruit knife very near to where LHP told Patsy where she hid Burke's knife. This makes me think that the kitchen knife was the first knife to be used.

Possible scenario:
John and Patsy are in basement. One of them makes a decision that a knife is needed. Patsy goes up to the first floor and, for whatever reason, gets the grapefruit knife from the kitchen. She takes the grapefruit knife to the basement where it is used on the cord. A decision is made by one of them to use another knife. Patsy takes the grapefruit knife with her back upstairs up to the second floor bypassing the kitchen on the first. She doesn't want to turn on any light in the laundry area, so she turns on the lamp in JonBenet's bedroom. Before doing this, she places the knife on JonBenet's bed and some cord fibers transfer to the fitted sheet. She brings the grapefruit knife with her to the laundry area, places it on the counter, and opens the upper cabinet door. She partially pulls out the package of Pull-Ups, grabs Burke's knife, and takes it to the basement.

I'd love to know what trace evidence they may have found on that grapefruit knife. If it was used first and wasn't sharp enough for its purpose, then left in the upstairs laundry area, it looks like it was forgotten about and not wiped off.

Well, you've got the grapefruit knife very near to where LHP told Patsy where she hid Burke's knife. This makes me think that the kitchen knife was the first knife to be used.

Possible scenario:
John and Patsy are in basement. One of them makes a decision that a knife is needed. Patsy goes up to the first floor and, for whatever reason, gets the grapefruit knife from the kitchen. She takes the grapefruit knife to the basement where it is used on the cord. A decision is made by one of them to use another knife. Patsy takes the grapefruit knife with her back upstairs up to the second floor bypassing the kitchen on the first. She doesn't want to turn on any light in the laundry area, so she turns on the lamp in JonBenet's bedroom. Before doing this, she places the knife on JonBenet's bed and some cord fibers transfer to the fitted sheet. She brings the grapefruit knife with her to the laundry area, places it on the counter, and opens the upper cabinet door. She partially pulls out the package of Pull-Ups, grabs Burke's knife, and takes it to the basement.

:applause::goldstar:

Possible scenario:

My question to you is what possible reason Patsy would have had to use Burke's knife? Grapefruit knives are very sharp and their serrated blades will cut through anything that needed that night. On the off chance they needed something else, why not get it from the kitchen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help but think they must have had knives and scissors in the basement. These implements come in handy in areas like that. Especially as we know Patsy was wrapping her presents down there.

It would be pretty annoying for somebody - on innocent business - to be down in the basement and wanting, say, to open a packet of detergent, and having no knife anywhere around, then having to go upstairs to fetch one from the kitchen.

I'm pretty sure they would have had kept some cutting implement(s) in the basement, maybe in one of the drawers.

PR "staging" BR's knife in the wine cellar seems odd if she was trying to divert attention away from BR, knowing LHP and others could identify it as such.
Then again, she DID write the RN, either confident she could brazen it out, or more likely in desperation, trying to create an intruder scenario. The knife would fit with that narrative. I can imagine her working through her list of clichés:
Ransom note - check
Threatening weapon - check
Tie wrists and tape mouth - check
I'm disappointed the R's didn't think of footprints in the snow. Smit would have been so happy.

It's possible both of BR's knives were in the basement. One being 41KKY (found near the sink). The other being one of the two (by my reasoning) redacted items found in the wine cellar.

The extract from BR's interview is so frustrating. Both Schuler and Burke spoke in present tense, as if Burke still had his knives.
I wish we could see the full transcripts or - better still - the tapes.

The knife had Burke's name on it. Doubt she would pass it off as an intruder's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PR "staging" BR's knife in the wine cellar seems odd if she was trying to divert attention away from BR, knowing LHP and others could identify it as such.
Then again, she DID write the RN, either confident she could brazen it out, or more likely in desperation, trying to create an intruder scenario. The knife would fit with that narrative. I can imagine her working through her list of clichés:
Ransom note - check
Threatening weapon - check
Tie wrists and tape mouth - check
I'm disappointed the R's didn't think of footprints in the snow. Smit would have been so happy.

It's possible both of BR's knives were in the basement. One being 41KKY (found near the sink). The other being one of the two (by my reasoning) redacted items found in the wine cellar.

The extract from BR's interview is so frustrating. Both Schuler and Burke spoke in present tense, as if Burke still had his knives.
I wish we could see the full transcripts or - better still - the tapes.

AB1,
BBM: ITA. I was not clear, what I meant was Patsy in the act of staging the wine-cellar crime-scene, accidentally left BR's knife behind?

Otherwise we can directly link BR to the wine-cellar via his knife, how incriminating is that?

Speculating: possibly BR used his knife earlier that afternoon to open the partially wrapped gifts?

Of course, partially wrapped might also mean cut open and not re-sealed?

BR seems to have the knack of incriminating himself at interviews.
SCHULER: You have two knives?
BURKE: I have one that says my name on it – it has Switzerland on it.
SCHULER: Uh-huh.
BURKE: That one has a big knife, small knife, saw, corkscrew, screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, toothpick and tweezers. And I think that’s it. And then I have another one that has a saw, scissors, it’s got this little hook thing that you tie knots better with. Um, I said saw? A cork opener.
Anyone any ideas why BR might be focused on knots, has anyone used a similar tool, the nearest analogy for me is knitting?

I have followed this case since it happened and back in early 1997 I said then that BR was responsible. After 20 years, I still think that. (Forgive me if a similar theory has already been posted; I'm relatively new here.) My theory follows:

On 12.25.96, the Ramsey family left the White's home in the evening after Christmas dinner. JBR fell asleep in the car. Once they arrived home, JR carried JBR up to her bedroom on the second floor while PR and BR stayed on the first floor in the kitchen. PR prepared a snack for BR of pineapple in milk and BR sat at the kitchen table to eat it. JR placed a sleeping JBR on her bed, still clothed, and headed up to the third floor to ready himself for bed because he had to get a certain number of hours of sleep in order to legally fly (pilot) the family the next day to be with other family for the holiday.

Once BR was situated, PR headed up to the second floor to get JBR changed and tucked in. As she was readying JBR for bed, JBR woke up and PR advised her to brush her teeth and get back in bed and PR would be back in a few minutes to tuck her in. PR stopped at the laundry room on the second floor to gather the cleans clothes from the dryer and then headed up to her third floor bedroom. She folded and put away her and JR's clothes and then placed some of the clothes into bags, in preparation for the next day's flight. Realizing there were a few things left out of that batch of laundry, she gathered dirty clothes and headed back to the second floor laundry, and checked both BR's and JBR's hampers for clothes, (the hampers might have been in their bathroom rather than their bedrooms.) She then started he next load of laundry.

As JBR was preparing to brush her teeth, or after she brushed her teeth, she heard BR in the kitchen. Perhaps he was playing or singing or whatever and this drew JBR's attention to the first floor kitchen.

JBR headed down the spiral staircase into the kitchen and saw BR eating and decided she too wanted a snack so she asked BR for some, he said no or told her to wait so PR could prepare something for her. JBR ran or skipped past the table and swiped a piece of pineapple out of BR's bowl. This infuriated BR so he grabbed the Mag Light from nearby (perhaps it was on the table or counter) and hit JBR in the head with it as she was dancing or skipping away from him. (I find this scenario plausible because BR had already hit JBR in the head with a golf club several months earlier because she annoyed him in some way.)

JBR might have been unconscious at this point, or might have been extremely dazed from the trauma of the hit. BR managed to get her to the basement, either by dragging, carrying, or helping her walk.

Once in the basement, BR got JBR to the train room where he poked her several times with an implement from the train set in an attempt to wake her up.

Once the laundry was started, PR went to JBR's room and did not see her. She then checked BR's room and didn't see him. She headed down to the kitchen and neither child was their either, but she saw a bit of a mess from the milk on the table and saw the mag light in the floor.

She went through the first floor calling out the children's names, to no avail. She opened the basement door and yelled down the stairs, receiving no response. She ran back up to the second floor one more time to double check. (This time would have allowed BR ample time to attempt to revive JBR.) Not finding the kids in the second floor, PR went to the basement. Upon finding an unconscious JBR on the floor with BR at her side, she asked him what was going on. He made up a quick story, as most 9-yr-olds do, and said she fell or something. PR knew JBR was in bad shape and demanded that BR go get JR asap. PR then began doing anything she could to revive JBB, but couldn't find much of a pulse and the child appeared to be dead, although she was still breathing faintly.

Up on the third floor, BR roused JR from his medication induced sleep and advised JR that PR needed him in the basement because JBR was not well. Perhaps he said something about JBB being dead or something similar, which induced a sense of panic in JR, such that he advised BR to go to his room and not come out again until he was advised to do so.

JR rushed to the basement train room and found PR hysterical and JBR lying on the floor unconscious. Perhaps PR was wailing about her baby being gone. JR would then check for a pulse and other signs of a heartbeat and breathing. Recognizing that the pulse was barely there and signs of breathing were almost to faint to feel, he advised PR to pull herself together and find out what BR knew. PR said something about how it had to be BR because of his past aggressive interactions with JBR and she yelled at JR because she had told him something like this was going to happen. JR sent her upstairs to get BR.

PR left the basement but did not go to BR's room as JR told her to, instead going to the kitchen and wiping the mag light of all fingerprints, inside and out, including the batteries. She then placed the "clean" flashlight on the counter, composed herself as much as was possible, and then went back down to the basement.

While PR was upstairs, JR realized that JBR was beyond help due to the obvious signs of head trauma. He knew he had to protect his family at all cost and so he fashioned the garrote and strangled her to stop her heart from beating. (It is my opinion that JBR's brain cavity was already too filled with blood and swelling so she was technically brain dead. This can occur with a strong enough hit to the head. The body's other systems can still fight to keep a person alive even if their higher brain functions are dead.)

Once he was sure that her breathing had stopped and her pulse was completely gone, he waited for PR and BR to return.

PR returned, sans BR. She saw her baby on the floor and became hysterical again. JR and PR cried for several minutes and then started formulating their plan. The body was moved to the wince cellar room and was then staged to look like it was a murder from someone outside the house. At some point JR went to BR's room and told him to stay in bed and not leave until he or PR came back to get him. JR advised BR not to talk to *anyone*.

PR, being too sick with grief, was unable to see or speak to BR, but JR kept her focused enough to continue with the staging, including writing the ransom note with his help by provided certain phrases.

The next step was to call their lawyer, who advised them of Colorado's law in 1996 that said people under the age of 10 could not be charged in a crime as serious as this one. He advised the Ramsey's to keep BR away from investigators.

At around 5:45am or so, PR and JR called the police to set their cover-up plan in motion. Towards the end of that 911 call, BR showed up in the kitchen to see why PR was yelling and that was why the phone didn't hang up immediately. JR was able to get the phone back in its cradle and he removed BR back to his second floor room before PR had a chance to hurt him in her anger and grief.

Friends soon started showing up and we all know what happened for the rest of the day.

AB1,
BBM: ITA. I was not clear, what I meant was Patsy in the act of staging the wine-cellar crime-scene, accidentally left BR's knife behind?

Otherwise we can directly link BR to the wine-cellar via his knife, how incriminating is that?

Speculating: possibly BR used his knife earlier that afternoon to open the partially wrapped gifts?

Of course, partially wrapped might also mean cut open and not re-sealed?

BR seems to have the knack of incriminating himself at interviews.

Anyone any ideas why BR might be focused on knots, has anyone used a similar tool, the nearest analogy for me is knitting?

BBM

BR said:
"That one has a big knife, small knife, saw, corkscrew, screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, toothpick and tweezers. And I think that’s it. And then I have another one that has a saw, scissors, it’s got this little hook thing that you tie knots better with. Um, I said saw? A cork opener."

Does BR mean something like this?

From Sakwiki.com

show_image.php

"The Marlinspike or Marlin Spike is a tool designed for use in the marine and sailing industry. The tool is useful for untying knots and splicing rope. This tool is made of stainless steel with a smooth tapered shaft and an Eye near the tip to aid in sewing.
When rope knots become tight due to tension and possibly wet this tool can be used by inserting it into the knot and prying it loose until it can be untied. Since the shaft of the tool is smooth it will not cut or damage the rope.
You can also use it to add a smaller rope to an already existing knot by splicing it into the knot using the eye of the tool. Simple sewing jobs on a sail can be accomplished using the eye as well. "

BBM

BR said:
"That one has a big knife, small knife, saw, corkscrew, screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, toothpick and tweezers. And I think that’s it. And then I have another one that has a saw, scissors, it’s got this little hook thing that you tie knots better with. Um, I said saw? A cork opener."

From Sakwiki.com

show_image.php

"The Marlinspike or Marlin Spike is a tool designed for use in the marine and sailing industry. The tool is useful for untying knots and splicing rope. This tool is made of stainless steel with a smooth tapered shaft and an Eye near the tip to aid in sewing.
When rope knots become tight due to tension and possibly wet this tool can be used by inserting it into the knot and prying it loose until it can be untied. Since the shaft of the tool is smooth it will not cut or damage the rope.
You can also use it to add a smaller rope to an already existing knot by splicing it into the knot using the eye of the tool. Simple sewing jobs on a sail can be accomplished using the eye as well. "

AB1,
Nice find. Yes, that might be what he is referring to. Maybe Kolar knows all about this, and this is why he is so adamantly BDI All?

For all those who think its BDI with BR luring JonBenet down to the basement, even at the point of a knife, his knife being located in the wine-cellar is quite a find.

I found it interesting in your link (I've seen reference to this before in mention of JBR's medical records) that Patsy reported to Dr Beuf in August 1996 that JonBenet was asking about sex roles and reproduction.

I've also seen it mentioned in Dr Hodges' book A Mother Gone Bad that JonBenet had a dream that she had a baby, and I think if I remember correctly, in the dream she was in a castle with Patsy. I need to go back and look again to see if he mentions how he came to know about that information about her dream.

I know it's not about the knife, but this got me to thinking about why a 6 year old would be preoccupied enough (if it was around about the same time frame as the doctor visit) to have a dream about having a baby. It'd be different if the family was having a new baby but I would think quite extraordinary otherwise in the life of a 6 year old.

The sex roles question, if I remember correctly, was in response to a questionnaire at the pediatrician that they give with every well-visit. Like when my boys turned 2, we got a questionnaire with a lot of autism screening type questions. I think Patsy's response about JB's curiosity was in line with what you expect from a 6 year old.

And as for the baby stuff, without knowing if one of her best friends was getting a baby brother or sister you just can't know if it's out of the ordinary or not.

Serenity Springs,

(I'm having difficulty copying and pasting at present so I'll just address a couple of your points)

I don't think a 9 year old would have the physical strength to drag his sister down into the basement. There are a lot of steps and she would have been hitting her head all the way and her body would have been covered in bruises.

It is more likely that he walloped her whilst she was already in the basement and he dragged her, by the collar of her top, across the hall towards the cellar.

That crushing blow to her head split her skull in two so she would not have been dazed but rendered completely comatose.

The other point is that I have a lot of difficulty reconciling the image of one of the parents strangling their daughter. Frankly they would have to be monsters to do such a thing, even to save themselves.

They are far more likely to try to save their son. When you put BR into the equation (including the strangulation) the whole scenario slots right into place and makes at least some sense out of the bizarre events of that evening.

My theory is posted on the Members Theories thread, for what it's worth.

Serenity Springs,

(I'm having difficulty copying and pasting at present so I'll just address a couple of your points)

I don't think a 9 year old would have the physical strength to drag his sister down into the basement. There are a lot of steps and she would have been hitting her head all the way and her body would have been covered in bruises.

It is more likely that he walloped her whilst she was already in the basement and he dragged her, by the collar of her top, across the hall towards the cellar.

That crushing blow to her head split her skull in two so she would not have been dazed but rendered completely comatose.

The other point is that I have a lot of difficult reconciling the image of one of the parents strangling their daughter. Frankly they would have to be monsters to do such a thing, even to save themselves.

They are far more likely to try to save their son. When you put BR into the equation (regarding the strangulation) the whole scenario slots right into place and makes at least some sense out of the bizarre events of that evening.

My theory is posted on the Members Theories thread, for what it's worth

BBM
On my way over there now. Looking forward to reading it.

AB1,
Nice find. Yes, that might be what he is referring to. Maybe Kolar knows all about this, and this is why he is so adamantly BDI All?

For all those who think its BDI with BR luring JonBenet down to the basement, even at the point of a knife, his knife being located in the wine-cellar is quite a find.

:thumb: Agree, UKGuy & AB1 - Good stuff!

Here's an image of the Swiss Army Knife. (the brand BR owned)
attachment.php

Swiss Army Explorer Features:

• Large Blade
  • Small Blade
  • Can Opener with Small Screwdriver
  • Bottle Opener with Large Screwdriver and wire Stripper
  • Scissors
  • Magnifying Glass
  • Reamer with Sewing Eye
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Corkscrew
  • Hook
  • Toothpick
  • Tweezers
  • Key Ring
Sounds a lot like what BR described, no?

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/swis...-xt9vA9cpBQ2cB6SQvIlXuDd2zBonHSe6hBoCxlfw_wcB

Attachments

• SAK.jpg
    SAK.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • SAK.jpg
    SAK.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 289
BBM

BR said:

From Sakwiki.com

show_image.php

Oh. To get knots undone. Wow!

Serenity Springs,

The other point is that I have a lot of difficulty reconciling the image of one of the parents strangling their daughter. Frankly they would have to be monsters to do such a thing, even to save themselves.

They are far more likely to try to save their son. When you put BR into the equation (including the strangulation) the whole scenario slots right into place and makes at least some sense out of the bizarre events of that evening.

My theory is posted on the Members Theories thread, for what it's worth.

Miz Adventure, thank you for your response. I am new here and haven't read through all the comments on the JBR case.

1. I think you're right. I don't think BR could have taken JBR if she was unconscious.

2. I don't think JBR would have had the opportunity to be in the basement if we assume that the timeline is correct regarding JR placing JBR in bed before heading up to the 3rd floor. I don't think PR would have had any reason to send her to the basement either.

3. I don't think JR or PR are monsters. I think they would have done anything at that point to protect the one child they had left. (I have some personal experience with raising a child who some might think is a monster. I'll share that after addressing your points.)

4. I think BR had the strength to hit her in the head with the flashlight but I don't think he had the strength or knowledge to fashion and strangle JBR with a garotte. JR might have been the only person in the house to have that knowledge.

It is my opinion that if BR hit JBR in the kitchen, one of the parents could have carried her to the basement. However, that doesn't explain the marks on her body and it doesn't explain the comments made by the Ramsey family at the end of the 911 call. I do not think a taser caused the 4 marks on JBR's body. In fact, I think there were technically only 2 marks on her body; 4 dots made from a 2-pronged implement. The spacing on the body between both 2-pronged marks are the exact same distance apart as an implement BR used on his train, in the basement, in the train room.

I do not think PR could have strangled JBR. I do think JR could have done it based on the idea that JBR would never have recovered from the hit to the head. Her brain was swollen and there was a brain bleed. Within moments of being hit, JBR would have been brain dead. How many moments? Anywhere from a couple of minutes up to 90 minutes. She would not have recovered from that injury. Even if 911 had been called immediately, the most a hospital would have been able to do would be to place her on life support to keep her other organs artificially alive.

However, those moments might have been enough for BR to get her to the basement without having to carry her. Her heart would still beat and she would have still been taking shallow breaths due to the body doing what it could to keep her alive even if complete brain death happened within minutes.

It is my opinion that she did not experience complete brain death for at least 20 minutes, probably more like 30. A lot can be accomplished in that timeframe as far as abuse to a body is concerned. She could have been taken to the basement (if not already there,) a garotte could have been fashioned, those 2-pronged marks could have been put on her body, and even with brain death very near, she could have fought against the garotte, (which explains the fingernail marks on her neck.)

I think there is a very specific reason why JR and PR were indicted by the grand jury but were not charged by the DA. I think most law enforcement and legal personnel involved knew that BR was ultimately responsible for JBR's death. I think JR & PR were responsible for staging the scene and abusing the corpse. I think it is possible that one of the reasons no one has been charged is because the Ramsey's were wealthy and BR was too young to have charges brought against him. The indictments did not say JR & PR were most likely responsible for her actual death, but skirted the issue by slapping indictments on them that had to due with negligence, abuse, etc.

JR lost one of his other daughters to a car crash a few years before JBR's death. He had intimate knowledge of how such a thing can tear a family apart. He knew that PR's entire life was her daughter. I think PR knew what BR was capable of because she had seen things from him that perhaps JR never saw because he was working a lot.

I definitely want to do more research on how JBR got to the basement. I do think that part of my theory is weak.

I have been to the Ramsey home in Boulder, CO because I live in Colorado. The actual house is not as far back from the road as reports and photos from 1996 would make one assume. Even though the house is in a very nice neighborhood, the houses are still quite close together. There are dozens of houses right next to the Ramsey house that are not behind fences. The driveways in that neighborhood are not on the street; one would access the driveway and garage from the alley. I do not think this was a random murder. I think it was someone in the house or from someone who knew them well enough to not appear to be threatening if they showed up.

(I raised a child diagnosed with anti-social personality traits. He was in and out of treatment for much of his high school years. He is an adult now and still exhibits these traits but no longer seeks treatment for them. He was my first child and he started exhibiting the traits around 2-yrs-old and started exhibiting behaviors between 8-10. I never had any more children after him because I was afraid of him and what he was capable of. BR as a child reminded me a lot of my child.)

I didn't realize there was a different thread regarding member's theories because I am new around here. Should I move my comments from here to there?

*snip*

I agree.

It is more likely that he walloped her whilst she was already in the basement and he dragged her, by the collar of her top, across the hall towards the cellar.*snip*

He's in the basement and he dragged her across the hall towards the basement?

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/basement?s=t

BBM

BR said:

From Sakwiki.com

show_image.php

Wondering if this kind of knife had any gadget that could be used to poke JB and cause the twin abrassion and the one in her
face face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member